I wouldn't worry about it, but if it happens, it's really not that hard to change out. I've got another PB I'm replacing the digitizer on and found that replacing the batteries would be relatively easy. Actually two batteries in an assembly.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 06-12-12 at 11:49 AM.
    06-12-12 11:40 AM
    while that may be partially true, the biggest reason why manufacturers don't make removable batteries is due to recycling and hazardous waste restrictions in multiple countries.

if you make your battery field replaceable, you have to provide a way to dispose of that battery at the cost of the manufacturer.
    I have no knowledge of that to back it up, but it wouldn't surprise me.

I'm more inclined to believe it is from a size/weight/cost to produce standpoint. All the RIM phones have replaceable batteries and virtually every laptop does too.
    06-12-12 12:36 PM
    Well, the quality of the iPad is better than the playbook. At least, this is my experience with my 16 GB.

It takes forever to charge my playbook fully.

I made the mistake of charging it last time through a USB combined with wall plug in

Now, it is dead.

Thing is, RIM designed the playbook to be almost impossible to re-charge if you charge it down to 0. I did this by accident.

I tried the magic aerobics to revive it to no avail. The worst idea was apparently trying to "cycle power". After trying that, my Playbook is in a RIP state.

I bought my playbook at full price in septemeber of last year. It is dead after less than a year.

Compare that to the iPad? Well, my wife's iPad is still fine and I bought that at the same time. It doesn't take 1 minute to boot up.
    Did you try to RMA it?

RMA rep told me even though PBs are out of warranty, they still accept RMAs past warranty period.

Mine is out of warranty and they said they'll fix my battery issue for free.
    06-12-12 12:55 PM
    Is it best for companies to allow replaceable batteries in their devices when they bring new devices out down the line ?

With our Bolds we're fortunate.
    06-12-12 12:56 PM
    With our Bolds we're fortunate.
    And the Curve, and the Torch...
    06-12-12 12:59 PM
    why not just enjoy whatever device you are using and worry about the battery when it actually dies? If, as humans, we worried about dying all the time, we wouldn't get anything out of life. So stop your worrying and enjoy. By the time this thig dies, there will be other devices you will probably have bought that replaced it. Techonolgy these days is never built to last. WHy do we have pc's that were built in the 90's that are strong as a tank and the ones these days are dead in 5 years? That's the circle of life in technology. The playbook will be in a few years what windows 98 is or even xp is today, worthless and slow, oh wait.....
    FF22 and dangerousfen like this.
    06-12-12 01:00 PM
    I guess, when our PlayBook's battery starts it dying process (provided that our PB has no inherent factory problem), it will be useless to replace its battery with new one (even it is possible)... first, the battery itself (for our PB model) may already phase-out... and second, by that time, there are probably new generation of tablets (or PlayBook in particular) that reviving an old tablet is no longer productive...
    06-12-12 01:04 PM
    And the Curve, and the Torch...
    Yep, I was just about edit my post for that hehe.

Thanks
    06-12-12 01:04 PM
    When my battery dies I will plug it into my night stand with Todays Alarm Clock on while I enjoy my new upgraded PB.
    axllebeer likes this.
    06-12-12 02:17 PM
    I guess, when our PlayBook's battery starts it dying process (provided that our PB has no inherent factory problem), it will be useless to replace its battery with new one (even it is possible)... first, the battery itself (for our PB model) may already phase-out... and second, by that time, there are probably new generation of tablets (or PlayBook in particular) that reviving an old tablet is no longer productive...
    I understand your premise and many will agree, but I don't. There will still be batteries available for a few years, and I know of many uses I'll still have for my PB, even while owning an updated later model. I don't throw anything away lol
    06-12-12 03:55 PM
    Will it work like a laptop, plugged in? Laptops work with no battery in them. I'm thinking it won't since running the battery down to nothing takes all kinds of tricks to get it going.
    06-12-12 05:06 PM
    Lots of variables involved, there's no finite answer...
    Good information but flawed in respect to modern LI-ion batteries. These batteries can and should last 3-5 years but the key here is they have a finite number of recharges available due to chemistry restraints. Letting it fall too low is indeed dangerous as LI-ion formulations have a dropoff point where the chemistry has too little charge to interact.

The best practice is to charge only when needed and if storing check it often to ensure it does not fall below 7-8 %.
    06-12-12 06:05 PM
    A support guy at RIM just told me to keep my bbpb fully charged (recharge at 75%, he said) because that was "best" for the battery. I questioned him on that and he repeated it.
    02-26-13 06:42 PM
    A support guy at RIM just told me to keep my bbpb fully charged (recharge at 75%, he said) because that was "best" for the battery. I questioned him on that and he repeated it.
    Actually what's best for the battery is to keep it at 40-50% in a cold place and don't use it. That's not very practical though.
    peter9477 likes this.
    02-26-13 06:47 PM
    All PLAYBOOK Batteries Will Last until the day before BB10 is launched for the PlayBook.
    02-26-13 09:06 PM
    I was going to give you the exact second when it will fail. Of course, it will be in Stardate: -305370.3650114155
    Captain Kirk, is that you?
    02-26-13 09:31 PM
    RE: When will my PlayBook battery die permanently?

Later this year...

(Side Note: I never thought that there are times when you wish "later this year" don't come true...)
    May Hem likes this.
    02-27-13 07:32 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD