so you want respect for owning a tablet?get out of here.respect cannot be demanded.i could care less if people respect me for my tech.i get what i like and when i want it.its that simple.i have been given a birth right to buy gadgets when i want to.people's opinions don't matter to me.
    11-28-11 07:44 PM
    If you are one who takes your pb out in public and also engages in conversation with people easily you more than likely have experienced what the OP expressed in his/her story.
    On the contrary my public experience with PB is much different. My PB is always at the center of attention for its portability, smooth swiping gestures and multitasking abilities. its just a misunderstood tablet that has been negatively reviewed by most reviewers. Its a great tablet for those who know and those that want to know.
    11-28-11 07:48 PM
    you can buy respect!?
    11-28-11 07:52 PM
    I cannot get any respect for my playbook. And its pretty much Rim's fault. When will it change for the best?

I often get this kind of comment:
    -Rim is folding
    -Why didnt you get an ipad?
    *-Is it as bad as they say? (last night at a friend's place)*

Now, most of these people have never used a PB, so they dont know what they are talking about. So why do they say that? Because of bad reviews of OS1 (no native email, duh), delayed updates, old BBOS on old-school OS7 phones. That's why.

So when will I get respect for my tablet? With a OS2 relaunch (same hardware, different software)? Likely not.... They need a complete OS with new hardware (and perhaps selling the older generation playbook side-by-side at a discount) otherwise online reviews will be negative, and people will not give us ANY respect...

what do you guys think? Should try to sell PB1 with OS2 as a 'new' playbook? A relaunch of a 1y old product as a new product? Apple got a lot of flack for the iPhone 4S that was too similar to 4. Why would it be different for RIM then?

lol for wanting respect for an electronic!!

RESPECT ME!!!! I bought a "want" not "need" electronic.

SAD really.

You'll get respect for owning an electronic when you meet the right friends who are easily impressed and have nothing else going for them.

I have buddy like you who buys electronics for fashion or friendships:
    i.e. "hey come over look at my new ipad 2 64gig with 3G it matchs my ipad 1 64gig 3g and iphone 4 and iphone4s and ipad touch1-2-3-4 and macbook air and all are white!!!"
    11-28-11 07:52 PM
    where did u find the micro hdmi for cheap,i havent found one for less than 30buks,at walmart,i have a mini hdmi for my cheapy android tab i paid 6buks for at xs cargo and reg hdmi cords they sell at dollorama,where did u get urs from
    Micro HDMI adapter from Monoprice.com $2.22.
    I think the cable version is around $4.00 and up depending on length.
    11-28-11 07:53 PM
    you can buy respect!?
    apparently for 199 for base model?

It will make people think you've made it in life! hahahahahaahaha
    11-28-11 07:54 PM
    where did u find the micro hdmi for cheap,i havent found one for less than 30buks,at walmart,i have a mini hdmi for my cheapy android tab i paid 6buks for at xs cargo and reg hdmi cords they sell at dollorama,where did u get urs from
    Dell has them for 9.99 delivered
    11-28-11 07:58 PM
    Wow... Dude you should've got a Harley Davidson. Then you could dress up like a pirate and pretend to be super tough and you could look at yourself in store windows and think, "Man I look so cool!"

That's what Harley's for.

That's not what Playbooks are for.
    11-28-11 07:58 PM
    I bought mine from Radio Shack for about $20. Now it has a short in it. Heading to Amazon.com next as I've bought many cables from there for only a few dollars a lot of the time and never yet have a been shipped a faulty one.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 11-28-11 at 08:15 PM. Reason: SPELLING, on my PB :(
    11-28-11 08:13 PM
    In the professional world, as a contract engineer - I do get respect and envy when I use mine - people who understand the benefit and utility of what I am doing. Especially when visiting a client on site and I am not connected into their LAN, just using 3g from my bridged phone. It always raises eyebrows and brings on questions.

If I was in kindergarten perhaps not so much. Not meant to be a dig at the OP, just a fact. I am proud of my playbook and my choices are respected amongst peers.
    11-28-11 08:16 PM
    No one respects me when I am wearing my Adidas flip-flops. Losers...
    11-28-11 08:19 PM
    wow. I created more stir than I thought.... to bad discussion went in a weird, HDMI cable direction.

I didnt buy it to get respect...Im generally low-key with my gadgets. But i didnt buy it to get disrespected. I blame RIM for that.... its hard to get 'congrats for you purchase' when you buy a RIM product right now.

...and the guy who said is it as bad as they say is a programmer, has a work BB and a personal 4S. Saw siri at work for the first time with him, and it works a lot better than I expected.
    11-28-11 09:15 PM
    I was in same boat as you till today. when someone started a presentation on big screen tv but his laptop just froze. I took out my 3 buck hdmi cable connected playbook to the tv (I had the presentation in my playbook) went trough 55 pages slides without any issue.
    11-28-11 09:17 PM
    The Playbook has recently been rooted, if you didn't get any respect from your "tablet naive" friends before, just wait till you show em what your rooted Playbook will be able to do in a few months. I have a feeling they will be jealous.
    jafobabe likes this.
    11-28-11 09:19 PM
    wish you will be right. and by that time we will have an email client and a bit of respect from review blogs...
    11-28-11 10:00 PM
    Why would you respect someone because of the type of tablet/phone/whatever that they own? I don't understand. If you really care that much what people think, the real question is why *didn't* you get an iPad? I got mine for reading pdf's, playing games on and listening to music. I don't care who made it, i bought it for what it does, not to get respect or as a fashion accesory... Why did you buy yours?

edit: to answer your question, probably never :P
    I think the OP did not mean he/she does not get respect but rather the device does not get respect. To put it a better way, it (and more specifically the BlackBerry brand) draws negative comments from others.
    11-28-11 10:11 PM
    wow. I created more stir than I thought.... to bad discussion went in a weird, HDMI cable direction.

I didnt buy it to get respect...Im generally low-key with my gadgets. But i didnt buy it to get disrespected. I blame RIM for that.... its hard to get 'congrats for you purchase' when you buy a RIM product right now.

...and the guy who said is it as bad as they say is a programmer, has a work BB and a personal 4S. Saw siri at work for the first time with him, and it works a lot better than I expected.
    Yeah, that HDMI thing really took away from your point.
    11-28-11 10:15 PM
    I think the OP did not mean he/she does not get respect but rather the device does not get respect. To put it a better way, it (and more specifically the BlackBerry brand) draws negative comments from others.
    I'd like to think that - but the title is:

When will I get respect from owning a PB?

I really think people should be more careful with their titles if they don't want to draw flames - people are angered and offended before they even click the button.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-28-11 at 11:12 PM.
    jamesbondOO7 likes this.
    11-28-11 11:07 PM
    biggest problem right now is innovation. RIM has not really innovated. Besides Bridge (which is a-mazing but requires an unloved BB), there is no real innovation. Apps are getting better but still a long way to go. Software unfinished. small, no 10inch option. Wimax canceled. 3g/lte, who knows when?

what will silence the critics are a fully finished tablet, fully polished BBX phone, and the developpers will follow suit. Only then a BB product get respect, and the buyer be congratulated for a savvy purchased.

Is RIM planning a Siri copycat or something truly innovative, btw?
    11-28-11 11:10 PM
    biggest problem right now is innovation. RIM has not really innovated. Besides Bridge (which is a-mazing but requires an unloved BB), there is no real innovation. Apps are getting better but still a long way to go. Software unfinished. small, no 10inch option. Wimax canceled. 3g/lte, who knows when?

what will silence the critics are a fully finished tablet, fully polished BBX phone, and the developpers will follow suit. Only then a BB product get respect, and the buyer be congratulated for a savvy purchased.

Is RIM planning a Siri copycat or something truly innovative, btw?
    A tablet is never finished. That's what I love about watching playbook form. It just keeps getting better and will never stop getting better - an amazing foundation to build on and build on it they are!

respect the book! How can you expect anyone else to respect it or you if you dont?

Copying (i.e. Siri) is not innovation .

QNX, a unique UI with touch sensitive bezel swipes, dual stereo mics, front facing amazing audio (for its size), phone bridge

That's innovation.
    be proud. Hold your head up. Standup stop slumping amaze your friends don't be sad.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 11-28-11 at 11:21 PM.
    bbvj likes this.
    11-28-11 11:15 PM
    from where i come from (waterloo), RIM commands a lot of respect! if you get a co-op job at RIM people go like "wow nice job"
    11-28-11 11:44 PM
    When will you get respect for owning a playbook? Right now, i respect you for owning a playbook.

ok mods close this thread the problem has been solved.
    11-28-11 11:49 PM
    Meh. It doesn't bother me any more. It did around 2008, but it doesn't bother me any more. It is just apart of the "Blackberry Experience" in America.
    11-29-11 02:07 AM
    I am rather proud (too strong a word but I cannot find a better one) not to follow the iFashion and to use the tablet I really need. I have not interest in conversations about what this or that app does.
    Pearl9100 and danimalchil like this.
    11-29-11 02:22 AM
    I'd like to think that - but the title is:

When will I get respect from owning a PB?

I really think people should be more careful with their titles if they don't want to draw flames - people are angered and offended before they even click the button.
    Well all the titles like "Help!!!!!!" is pretty good proof that posters often give little thought to a well worded, to the point, and accurate thread title.
    11-29-11 02:27 AM
113 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD