I think the BB10 already works on the playbook, and anyway when you develop an OS for smartphones nowadays you also de facto develop it for tablets. Some comments here are nonsense, as if RIM was introducing a brand new technology, which would be entirely different from the touchscreen of smartphones.

They just don't want to release it before the phones, because they don't want people to try it on for real and write negative comments before they have sold a number of phones.
    Yeah, because it will suck no matter what, right?

When will BB10 come to the PlayBook?-30530384.jpg
    vipkyd likes this.
    11-20-12 12:22 PM
    [picture with caption "Not sure if sarcasm or trolling"]
    Really? You're really not sure, after 350 negative posts, whether the 351st post was just trolling?
    Vorkosigan and Toodeurep like this.
    11-20-12 01:27 PM
    I want someone to tell me why i should purchase a blackberry 10 (preferrably a Blackberry Aristo) like i wish BB had a WAY better music app like comon!!! multiple playlists is a basic thing! and universal search! and and itunes eqiuvalent!!!!!__i want to go full out blackberry but they must improve thier music stores before, , like my favorite artist doesnt show up or any of thier music videos and Bigbang is one the worlds most famous artitsts!!
    12-13-12 08:33 PM
    I am interested on how well bb10 will performance on playbook. It is old hardware, however I do agree that I doubt it would be a complete rewrite. My fear it will lag. Realistically I just want a fast browser that won't crash on me (which current playbook crashes quite a bit), good magazine integration and a solid ms word and PDF reader.
    01-06-13 03:34 PM
    I am interested on how well bb10 will performance on playbook. It is old hardware, however I do agree that I doubt it would be a complete rewrite. My fear it will lag. Realistically I just want a fast browser that won't crash on me (which current playbook crashes quite a bit), good magazine integration and a solid ms word and PDF reader.
    I have the original Dev Alpha, which uses roughly the same hardware as the LTE PlayBook. IIRC, it uses the same OMAP 4460 dual-core processor as the original PB, but clocked to 1.5GHz instead of the standard 1.0.

The original BB10 software on the Dev Alpha was pretty much the Playbook OS with the Cascades libraries added. Same basic weaknesses as PBOS, including ~3 minute boot time, poor-performing browser, and just generally buggy and slow (btw, not complaining--beta device and all, issues to be expected).

RIM has updated the Dev Alpha software a couple of times now. It still isn't feature-complete, but it's way closer to what we'll see on release, and I can tell you it's a considerable improvement. Animations/transitions are very smooth. New browser is EXCELLENT. Boot time has dropped to ~1 minute (and some have suggested it will drop further). BB10 is a much more finished/polished OS and considerable optimization work has already taken place. Since I saw this on hardware roughly comparable to the original Playbook, I have no problems saying that the PB should actually see much-improved performance with a BB10 update.
    kbz1960, vipkyd, Toodeurep and 2 others like this.
    01-06-13 03:52 PM
    BB10 for PlayBook? Your asking the wrong people. RIM has no idea when their own upgrades are coming out.
    01-06-13 06:35 PM
    I want someone to tell me why i should purchase a blackberry 10 (preferrably a Blackberry Aristo) like i wish BB had a WAY better music app like comon!!! multiple playlists is a basic thing! and universal search! and and itunes eqiuvalent!!!!!__i want to go full out blackberry but they must improve thier music stores before, , like my favorite artist doesnt show up or any of thier music videos and Bigbang is one the worlds most famous artitsts!!
    In my opinion the Blackberry's music player is better than the iPhone's. I've been using a Blackberry for the past 5 years and was forced to use an iPhone for the past 3 months and I've been really disappointed with some things that I just took for granted on the Blackberry. I assumed that at the very least the music app would be far superior to the Blackberry but it's not.

My main gripes with the iOS music app are:

1. Can't add songs to playlist while listening to the song. You have to back all the way out to the playlist section and then search for the song again just to add the song. This is especially annoying for someone who can't read Chinese but likes listening to Chinese music. It might take me a few tries before I even pick the intended song to add to the playlist.
    2. Ability to skip songs using the volume rocker buttons. iOS users will say I'm being picky since I can just click the button on the headphones to skip songs. But if you do a lot of walking or public commuting (crowded trains and buses) like me you'll know that having to take your hand out of your pockets just to skip a song is annoying. Since I'm usually holding my phone while it's in my pocket I find it far easier to just skip songs without needing to look or take my hand out. I'm really surprised this isn't a more common feature for other phones. I know it's not there for the Nokia 920 either.

What I do like about the iOS music app is being about to turn on music with the headphone though. The BB way requires the app to be running first and then the corner button allows to you play/pause, but I find that the button gets press inadvertently way too often while in my pants pocket and it ends up draining the battery (I've learned to just lower the volume all the way when at work to avoid playing music via the speakers). I don't care about a music store selection so music catalog is not important to me.

Way too long of a reply... oh well. My 2 cents.
    01-08-13 03:17 PM
    In the UK retailers are selling the PlayBook as a loss leader and are knocking them out for between �100-�150, that tells me they're trying to sell them and when they run out of stock they won't bother ordering more stock.

RIM have already said that they won't be releasing BB10 for a good few months, my guess it will be out in q2-q3 between April and July.
    01-08-13 04:29 PM
    It would be cool if RIM showed up at CES and just give a small peak / demo of BB10 running on a Playbook.
    There are so many new tablets coming out this year with better specs and all, running Android and Win8.
    Would be a nice *poke* from RIMM to show the world once again they too, still have an amazing tablet, that will even get better with BB10 on it!
    It would also show/give developers an additional platform to develop / release apps for; meaning a bigger chance of more profit on your apps and thus more justification to actually release something for BB10.
    vipkyd likes this.
    01-09-13 04:33 AM
    It would be cool if RIM showed up at CES and just give a small peak / demo of BB10 running on a Playbook.
    For RIM the Playbook was a massive embarrassment. I'm pretty sure they would rather the world forget about the Playbook.

"hey look everyone....we put lipstick on a pig!"
    01-09-13 11:30 AM
    For RIM the Playbook was a massive embarrassment. I'm pretty sure they would rather the world forget about the Playbook.

"hey look everyone....we put lipstick on a pig!"
    Some people make bacon from a pig or ham or pork chops. A pig is not a failure even if it is not exactly kosher!
    01-09-13 12:10 PM
    What I wonder is, and I am not an expert at all, is if the Dev Alpha really used the same processor as the PB, could a SW update clock the processor to 1.5GHz?
    01-09-13 12:29 PM
    What I wonder is, and I am not an expert at all, is if the Dev Alpha really used the same processor as the PB, could a SW update clock the processor to 1.5GHz?
    I very much doubt that would work, for the same reason Intel release different cpu models even though they are based on the exact same manufacturing process - they're tested for their tolerance to frequencies and those with lower tolerance get a lower clock/model number.

Additionally, one would assume that the same cpu clocked an additional 50% would need a significant increase in cooling so at the very least I'd guess that the LTE has a more efficient heatsink.
    01-09-13 02:38 PM
88 ... 234