I was wondering whether it's normal for the battery charge to decrease slowly over time, even if the PlayBook is turned off. Namely, I had it at about 96% a couple of days ago, but left the device turned off until today, when, after turning it on, I noticed the battery was down to 89%.

Is this something I should be worried about?
    01-27-12 04:59 PM
    yes mine does it when i fully charge it turn it off for the night then in the mornin g it will be on around 96%
    01-27-12 05:02 PM
    I was wondering whether it's normal for the battery charge to decrease slowly over time, even if the PlayBook is turned off. Namely, I had it at about 96% a couple of days ago, but left the device turned off until today, when, after turning it on, I noticed the battery was down to 89%.

Its a battery and it is going to lose charge over time.
    Here is a real life example: Your freezer filled with ice will melt over time if you were to have the machine unplugged, for it to hold onto making ice it needs to have a regular source, its similar with the PB. If you have it plugged all the time, you will find it 100% charged evertime you turn it on.

Its perfectly normal, dont worry
    smurph likes this.
    01-27-12 05:50 PM
    Its a battery and it is going to lose charge over time.
    Here is a real life example: Your freezer filled with ice will melt over time if you were to have the machine unplugged, for it to hold onto making ice it needs to have a regular source, its similar with the PB. If you have it plugged all the time, you will find it 100% charged evertime you turn it on.

Its perfectly normal, dont worry
    Nice analogy, thanks!
    01-27-12 05:54 PM
    I'm going to say yes..all of my devices have done that
    01-27-12 05:57 PM
    You may be losing a couple percent just booting up. The battery percent isn't exact so I wouldn't worry about it too much.
    01-27-12 06:48 PM
    Alright, thanks everyone!
    01-27-12 07:12 PM
    Yes, that's normal. Besides, AFAIK the clock draws battery even when turned off.
    01-27-12 08:35 PM
    Normal, no worries
    01-27-12 08:50 PM
    Mine unfortunately is losing that much overnight
    01-27-12 09:44 PM

I wouldn't worry, unless it continued to do that or you noticed it doing the same across a different range of percentages some day, like from 56% down to 50% in 2 days.

Was it really just a couple of days? Or maybe closer to three?

Assuming it was either 2 or 3 days, that would mean your battery would completely drain in either 33 days or 50 days. Either one is actually very bad, and not normal.

I strongly doubt it was truly draining that much however. A real 6% drop in 2.5 days would mean an average drain of 18mW. In standby it uses about 50mW on average. A device like this should have less than a thousandth of that value, possibly much less, when turned off.

You wouldn't know for sure unless you can repeat the experiment. More likely, it resulted either from the OS recalibrating the battery "health", resulting in an apparent but not actual change in the true level, or it was just a small glitch resulting from some voltage fluctuation and the fact that the OS software isn't (can't be) perfect at translating the physical measurements into a nice clean percentage for you.

Why did I say "very bad"? Well, if this were truly how all of our PlayBooks worked, most of them would have been delivered to us with drained batteries, and possibly destroyed batteries. The one thing lithium batteries hate most (aside from blowing up due to overheating) is being discharged below their lower safe limit.

I'm sure the maximum allowed storage time of these things is supposed to be many months, not just 33 days. Generally speaking, you should not see any real change over just a few days, aside from the tiny drain from booting it up again. That would possibly show as a 1% change at most.

So, repeat the test if you are concerned. If this were real, you're at risk of destroying your battery some day if you happen to fully discharge it and then leave it for even a week without recharging. But I don't think this was real...
    01-27-12 09:58 PM
    OK, I think I WILL repeat the experiment then. It's at 83% currently, I've turned it off and will turn it on back again in a couple of days and report here.
    01-28-12 11:33 AM
    :::

When you turn it off & turn it on, it need to use 1-2% Batt. for the cycle.
    Therefor, if you use your PB every 1-2 days, just turn off
    Wifi & hit Standby. This can save your hardward Power Button as
    well & have the good of instead on when you need it...!

If WiFi & Bluetooth is off, PB standby use very little Battary...!

:::
    01-28-12 12:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD