Does anyone have any clue as to when we are finally going to see native email support on the blackberry?

I've been waiting patiently since launch for native email support to come via and update... Since Jim mentioned the email would arrive within 60 days i've been okay with this... Well they've over shot the within 60 days date an i'm now very annoyed.

How are we going to roll this out with our company if you can't use something as simple as email.

OWA is horrible.. Its not like being on the computer.. Gmail fairs a bit better but i rather use my iphone for email or sit at my computer.

For the most part i love this playbook and my ipad has been collecting dust, but im growing increasingly angry that there isn't any emails on this thing.

That and a RDP app so i can remote remotely while checking emails..
    06-22-11 02:02 PM
    Will be here July 26, 2011
    06-22-11 02:04 PM
    Where did you get that date from Foreverup?
    06-22-11 02:20 PM
    Made it up
    menaknow and anon(3749235) like this.
    06-22-11 02:22 PM
    Just like rim made up the 60 days.

Its pretty pathetic that they aren't announcing it or have a final date yet.

Either they don't know because they are still rushing to get it to work, or they don't know when they can push it out..

Brutal.

If there were other email apps you could buy then fine.. but seeing as the other two email apps have been blocked or not approved yet i don't get that option.
    06-22-11 02:37 PM
    Get a gmail account or any other web email client and use email forwarding to them you can access all your email with any of the quick links on the playbook.
    06-22-11 02:41 PM
    You don't get it..

Gmail via the browser doesn't cut it... And i'm not about to have users forwarding thier emails outside of the company.. There is a reason we use blackberries and BES

If they can't have BES/BIS emails working on more then one device at a time, fine.. Push out an email client that can access pop, imap etc and active sync in the meantime.. Let me get email on my tablet.. it's not that hard when you have third parties already offering email apps for the playbook that were either blocked or rejected..
    06-22-11 02:50 PM
    You don't get it..

Gmail via the browser doesn't cut it... And i'm not about to have users forwarding thier emails outside of the company.. There is a reason we use blackberries and BES

If they can't have BES/BIS emails working on more then one device at a time, fine.. Push out an email client that can access pop, imap etc and active sync in the meantime.. Let me get email on my tablet.. it's not that hard when you have third parties already offering email apps for the playbook that were either blocked or rejected..

if you have blackberries why is bridge not an option?
    06-22-11 02:54 PM
    Only RIM can answer this question, and so far they have not. I was hoping it would be in this last update we just got, alas it was not. Perhaps the next one? Be nice to see the Android & BB Apps players too, and the Native SDK!
    06-22-11 02:58 PM
    The blackberry I have is a work blackberry and I think only has 25 MB. It meant to be only for work purposes.

While the bridge is great because i can view my work content on a bigger screen, it doesn't help with my personal email.

I also what to keep my personal emails off the company device. This is why the bridge doesn't solve that issue. Gmail web client is fine so far, but I would like my email readable offline (disconnected via wifi)...
    06-22-11 02:59 PM
    "Summer." I think it will not be before September.
    06-22-11 03:02 PM
    You don't get it..

You didn't mention you were on a BES my response would of been different . Because currently their is no BES packages available for the playbook, nor have they even been talked about by RIM (to the best of my knowledge). Currently there is only BES package to allow or disallow the Bridge software.
    Also, if you listen to the crackberry podcasts everyone on there seems to be in agreement that it is a long and technically difficult process switching the NOC server from recognizing individual PINs (and yes your wifi only playbook has a unique PIN attached to it) to having the NOC recognize the Blackberry IDs with multiple PINs attached to one ID. It is more than likely the PIM apps are written and working perfectly because they showed them off at Blackberry World, but the NOC servers have to be rewritten on how they handle all data and where it is push to.
    Last edited by Foreverup; 06-22-11 at 03:12 PM. Reason: My grammer sux
    thedark722 likes this.
    06-22-11 03:04 PM
    My guess is once the crypto module is FIPS approved. Then they can encrypt all of the e-mails, the PIM info on the device and still have security certs for the data, and they can connect it to the existing BIS/BES infrastructure without compromising them
    Foreverup and asherwiin like this.
    06-22-11 03:12 PM
    Can't you just use Bridge to get emails on your PlayBook for now?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    gavinn likes this.
    06-22-11 03:15 PM
    if you have blackberries why is bridge not an option?
    Because i DON"T use a blackberry.. I use an iphone

It might work for most of the employees with blackberries, but not the Head management people that use iphones..

I don't care if i can attach MY playbook to the bes... I want to attach my personal email (gmail,msn) to it.. Active sync for exchange like my iphone would be fine for now too.

But really.. How hard is it to get the Imap and Pop email accounts working?
    mapsonburt likes this.
    06-22-11 03:17 PM
    Because i DON"T use a blackberry.. I use an iphone

It might work for most of the employees with blackberries, but not the Head management people that use iphones..

I don't care if i can attach MY playbook to the bes... I want to attach my personal email (gmail,msn) to it.. Active sync for exchange like my iphone would be fine for now too.

It is more difficult than you think because of security, what BB is founded on, all emails go through RIMs servers it is not a simple as having an app connect directly to a pop3 server or an imap which is what the iphone does.
    06-22-11 03:21 PM
    It is more difficult than you think because of security, what BB is founded on, all emails go through RIMs servers it is not a simple as having an app connect directly to a pop3 server or an imap which is what the iphone does.
    Why does my normal everyday e-mail have to go thru something when I'm getting it thru my wi-fi connection... same as my laptop...or desktop....

It SHOULD be that easy.
    06-22-11 03:31 PM
    Ahhh But it is just that easy..

Consumers don't care about bis or bes.

Corporate shouldn't care if their users are checking their personal email on the device.. If they do, lock it out. If they don't want them having access to email on the tablet turn off active sync and owa.

Its pretty secure if you are only checking your gmail msn or whatever..
    06-22-11 03:33 PM
    Really hard without the native SDK, there's no IMAP or POP implementation in Adobe AIR so you would have to write the libraries to deal with those protocols yourself.

Once the native SDK comes out I would expect to see a glut of mail applications if RIM hasn't gotten theirs out yet.
    06-22-11 03:34 PM
    Why does my normal everyday e-mail have to go thru something when I'm getting it thru my wi-fi connection... same as my laptop...or desktop....

It SHOULD be that easy.
    Push email is one of the major reasons people choose BB. There is a lot benefits to it that people prefer.

Ahhh But it is just that easy..

Consumers don't care about bis or bes.

Corporate shouldn't care if their users are checking their personal email on the device.. If they do, lock it out. If they don't want them having access to email on the tablet turn off active sync and owa.

Its pretty secure if you are only checking your gmail msn or whatever..
    To the consumers about BIS see above and security.

The BES again packages have not been released to absolutely control the playbook from a BES server. I guarantee if a company is paying for your data plan or checking on their time and their wifi network they care if you use it to check your personal stuff.
    06-22-11 03:44 PM
    My guess is once the crypto module is FIPS approved. Then they can encrypt all of the e-mails, the PIM info on the device and still have security certs for the data, and they can connect it to the existing BIS/BES infrastructure without compromising them
    They can do all of that (and release it) prior to FIPS compliance review. FIPS certs are done on existing, GA products all of the time. The only issue is that the device would not be sold into a customer that requires FIPS cert/compliance....as FIPS is required by a limited number of government and healthcare customers (and a few military contractors) there is no reason to not implement before passing.
    06-22-11 03:54 PM
    the native email wont and shouldnt be BIS/BES. It should be a normal pop/imap/activesync client. If it doesnt support activesync then its really no use IMO. I am kinda thinking they are over complicating it and it wont be activesync compatible either. This should be easy to do because android and the iOS have had this for a long time now.
    06-22-11 03:58 PM
    to me, RIM should have gone about the PB differently, well we know tbey should have.

if i was in charge, i would of had it so the playbook had another set-up option

How do you intend to use your playbook?

Business and enterprise uses
    consumer usage.

the latter would allow to bypass all of this supertight security crap. where the playbook is wrong is, its a confused device. you want the business customers and at the same time general consumers to buy your product. yet you cripple it because of your business and enterprise security....yet theres games on it, but no native pop3 support.

THAT in my opinion is the Key to the relatively poor sales. its not a full business tablet nor is it a consumer tablet.

what the **** is it?

still, even with its crippling disadvantages at this time, id still take it over the competitions offerings, all of which ive had.

which begs the question; how good could the playbook of been if they didnt totally bork its release. im surprised they released in UK without the major update to be honest. another bad move by RIM. youve alienated the US market, so someone in RIM should have said...lets get it right for the rest of the world on launch....but no.
    Angelo_Campher likes this.
    06-22-11 05:59 PM
    the native email wont and shouldnt be BIS/BES. It should be a normal pop/imap/activesync client. If it doesnt support activesync then its really no use IMO. I am kinda thinking they are over complicating it and it wont be activesync compatible either. This should be easy to do because android and the iOS have had this for a long time now.
    going to have to disagree with on this. i'm betting they will make it go through the NOC servers. After thinking about it they have sunk a lot of money into the servers, they also have to think of both client bases. i really think getting the servers ready to accept people with 2 PINs is more difficult then they thought.

i'm also think when it does come you will sign in with your BB id and RIM will push all your information to the email client so no setup for the user.
    06-22-11 07:50 PM

It SHOULD be that easy.
    For push services.

I use my ISPs email account and if i send myself an email through, say hotmail, I get the email almost instantly on my BB.

For hotmail and gmail, there is no push service. It'll scan those accounts every so often to see if there is email.
    06-22-11 08:28 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD