1st) Don't give me the "RIM won't last before you grow up"

2nd) Anybody have ideas how I should start my path and the requirements (age, education, skills, etc.) I was thinking of doing a major in Management and a minor in Music. Since I would say I'm very musical, are there any careers in this area of study in RIM? Also how is the lifestyle at RIM?

3rd) My brother graduated from University of Waterloo and this started my interest, he had a Bold 9000 then and now I use it until BB10 comes out. I've also got the Playbook 64GB after months of research on which tablet is the best (bought it with my own money after saving up, considering I'm pretty pretty young). I want to work for RIM because I think their products are amazing. Also being a Canadian, I want to work for a Canadian company and be proud of something from Canada and perhaps help the Canadian economy. LOL I sound too patriotic here, but I love all the countries.

I want to work for RIM! ;D
    BB10FTW and pike13 like this.
    07-11-12 11:47 PM
    Stick to Piano....
    waker likes this.
    07-11-12 11:49 PM
    But I can do both?!
    07-11-12 11:53 PM
    Start learning languages such as C++, JavaScript, HTML5?

If you're good at math, learning to program shouldn't be a big hassle.

If you become an excellent programer and make well developed apps (Temple Run, Instagram, Angry Birds),then RIM will gladly hire you.
    Last edited by rupam95; 07-12-12 at 12:19 AM.
    07-12-12 12:11 AM
    Be careful what you wish because you might find reality slightly different than your preconceived ideas. If you truly are gifted musically, pursue your studies in that area. Do you really want to spend four years studying business management all in the hope of maybe one day working for a specific company?
    07-12-12 12:22 AM
    Young kids, they change their mind all the time.
    07-12-12 07:36 AM
    It is great to have such a noble goal. Wish all young people had it together like that. If you live near RIM, try to get a summer internship to get an idea if you like the corporate culture. Business/management is a very marketable skill...music might be difficult.Good Luck and go for it!
    07-12-12 08:23 AM
    Engineering at waterloo and business from laurier are the easiest paths
    sleepngbear likes this.
    07-12-12 08:49 AM
    And please major in computer science.
    This is the worse advice that one could be given...

I work in the IT field as a developer, and some of the best folks in IT are not from the computer science field.

What do they have? Passion...

You have to have passion and love for this field. So get a piece of paper, it doesn't have to be computer science field, but make sure you love to develop applications. Because when technology is evolving around you and you need to bring your skills up to date, your employer isn't going to force you to do it.

Your passion for development will...
    velociraptor89 likes this.
    07-12-12 09:38 AM
    I should say: go to their HQ and ask them, or write them an Email
    BB10FTW likes this.
    07-12-12 10:16 AM
    See what you like better (music or RIM). I would say go to RIM's website and check their hiring page (yes RIM is hiring even though it laid off 5000 employees). Once there, you will get to know what's required (management, development) and once you decide it's RIM, check which languages and/or other positions you could like. Study them, note 'em and learn 'em.

Since RIM is betting big on QNX, you could start by learning what QNX is all about.
    07-12-12 10:33 AM
    The best place to make changes to anything is from within.

I think we l would like to have a real say in what is going on right now.

07-12-12 10:34 AM
    Good on ya OP, Chase those dreams. Work at RIM whilst listening to music !
    07-12-12 10:55 AM
    I'm of the opinion that RIM management would be very interested in what young men and women think about their company, their brand, and their products.

As previously mentioned, an internship would be a very natural next step in the pursuit of your long term goal. This would be achieved by successfully scheduling an interview with a VP in a department in which you would be most interested in working.

I started an internship with my company while in college. This July 30th - I will have been here 22 full years (including three years as an intern). It has indeed been a blessing to me personally and professionally - as well as a means to provide for my family, send my children to private schools, and allow my wife to be a stay at home mother (her choice). It began with an internship.

I encourage you to follow your dreams. Even if RIM is not where you ultimately land, the fact that you have an interest in pursuing a vocation and doing the necessary activities to move that forward - that is going to set you apart.

Here is what you may consider doing next:
    1) Identify four individuals close to you that can help you (parent, professor, business leader / friend of your family, etc.). This will be more valuable and personal to you – vs. getting assistance off the internet from strangers.
    2) Ask each of those individuals to help you achieve this goal - by giving you advice on how you may proceed. They can assist with letter writing, research, and candid feedback to you about your personality, skill set, etc.
    3) One outcome from this meeting - is to identify by name and title - four executives at RIM by job type: (SVP of Development, Director of Gaming, VP Marketing, etc.).
    4) Send each of the four contacts a personal letter, a picture of yourself, and an explanation of your age, passion, and openness to intern. Close the letter explaining you will follow-up on such and such date - and to please have their secretary be able to schedule a face to face meeting to discuss a possible summer internship.
    I think an internship would be a great next step for you. It will help you better understand the corporate culture at RIM and further determine your interests in your future.

All my best to you and your endeavor.
    Cesare21 and velociraptor89 like this.
    07-12-12 11:02 AM
    Find every decision the previous owners did between the announcement of the first iphone til they stepped down. Take this information and do the exact opposite. You be praised by fellow employees and stock holders.
    07-12-12 08:03 PM
    Management is not a good place to start. Neither is music. Management generally comes from a promotion. People don't hire managers with no experience. Study graphic arts and programming - nothing wrong with a computer science background but menaknow is right you have to have a passion for programming and most of it is learn by doing, not learn by learning.
    Last edited by PheonixSun; 07-12-12 at 10:23 PM.
    07-12-12 10:19 PM
    Better yet, don't grow up. More fun that way.
    07-13-12 06:02 AM
    Meh, was going to be a doctor when I grew up. Now, I'm ready to retire from the Army. Think you can count on one hand how many kids grow up to be what they envisioned.
    07-13-12 09:31 AM