Ever since I bought the playbook, I have witnessed RIM behaving like a right-handed man working with his left hand (or the other way round if you are left-handed).

One explanation is that that they are ill at ease with the present generation of hand-held device.

In the previous generation, when RIM outshone the competition, mobile phones were serious, they made sense as PHONES. It was also the era of Nokia for end users, who needed to PHONE while on the go... and Blackberries were for executives whose position justified receiving text messages permanently (work decisions, etc.).

The present generation consists in compulsive buying behavior and teenagers chatting, teenager gaming, and all those twenty-something people with a generally late-teenager style of living. It doesn't make sense professionally, you don't need an angry birds device to contact your clients, or to tell your family you will be late.

I have this explanation because I observe that some other Western producers are also late in the competition, and yet still try to make great PHONES (Motorola and the battery of the Razr Maxx...), whereas Asian producers have fully dived into the generational tsunami of kawai devices.

I would suggest that RIM was the least supplier qualified to make a tablet, and even the way they called it "play" book is touchingly awkward. The soul of that company has always been and still is professional devices.

So, here is what I will do when I become the new CEO of RIM next year :

- Remove from BB the Android emulator, because it brings the teenage self-indulgement atmosphere

- Provide BB with native serious apps, (reading, technical drawing, presentations...)

- Even the native games should LOOK serious (chess, sudoku...), the fun games being left to optional third-parties.

- Produce new tablets with superior protection (IP54, IP67...) and explicitly virile looking.

Well you get the general meaning. No use running after Apple or Android and trying to be more fun than them. RIM has to be explicitly NOT fun, it must seduce professors, engineers, doctors with a purpose, etc.
    QWKSNKE and specialized888 like this.
    07-26-12 01:34 PM
    Well thank f*uk you're not RIM CEO then!

It is this EXACT idea which has caused SO many of RIM's problems since the launch of the iPhone.

"Oh customers don't want to take pictures with their phones." Well, yes they do.
    "Oh customers don't want to surf the web on their phones." Well, yes they do.
    "Oh customers don't want to listen to music or watch films on their phones." Well, guess what.... YES THEY DO!!!

I'll give you a clue: RIM has been dropped by so many people because it doesn't do what iOS and Android phones do. BYOD has been a major headache for RIM in the US because people WANT TO play Angry Birds (and the like).

Basically what you're proposing is that RIM abandons the consumer marker, basically leaving it open for Apple and Google (I really want to add Windows Phone to that list, but it's not exactly been doing great so far)... with the amazingly obvious problem of more and more companies going with BYOD, therefore RIM will be cutting their own "business" marketshare further and further.

Business people (the same as a standard consumer) want to do other things than just call, text and receive e-mails on their phones. It's a fact. You cannot ignore it. That's the way it is.

Si.

P.S. PlayBook is a sporting term which indicates how a manager (or coach) wants a team to play, it has nothing to do with "playing"
    Trini-34 likes this.
    07-26-12 02:05 PM
    If i was ceo of rim....i would hire you then fire you
    07-26-12 02:20 PM
    If i was ceo of rim....i would hire you then fire you
    Considering the present economic situation, this is extremely insensitive. Especially if you claim to be loyal to RIM.

I hope you are not a teenager leaving on the income of your working parents.

If you are work, well, I imagine you take your responsibilities. Sort of.
    bodjor likes this.
    07-26-12 02:41 PM
    Whoa whoa whoa, there is no need to hate or flame the OP. He is entitled to his opinion the same as we all are. If you do not agree then simply state your argument in a "mature" and constructive way.

As to the OP original thoughts. There was a report on here a short time ago that showed that Thor had similar thoughts. He mentioned that RIM should have stayed true to its roots and remain focused on the professional consumer and deliver a richer work device.
    I doubt he would go as far as to remove the media capabilities but just focus on the more productive side of the hardware and software.
    snarlybear likes this.
    07-26-12 02:46 PM
    some people just cant take abit of sarcasm

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    07-26-12 02:53 PM
    well ... no. Sort of ...

First, we'll be in 2013 and I believe in this century, some ladies will have smarphones for business usage (not meaning that secretaries will all gain one, you evil macho man ).
    Second, no one wants a dour device; efficiency & seriousness : yes, but make it sexy or die.
    Third ... well, obviously you won't be RIM CEO next year, isn't it ?
    07-26-12 03:00 PM
    i do half agree with the op and half agree with 2nd comment

they should keep to the business side of things, i would of kept the BES/NOC servers on bb10

and i would also go the apple way and get every app available

best of bothe worlds.. i wouldnt shut down the business side of things but i wouldnt shut out the app side of things

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Crackberry app
    07-26-12 03:04 PM
    third party business and education mobile software developers have already left blackberry in the dust
    07-26-12 03:08 PM
    focused on the professional consumer and deliver a richer work device.
    The whole notion of a "professional" device vs a "consumer" device is utter nonsense. These days, every device is both a professional and consumer device at the same time and to think otherwise is absurd and, to be blunt, woefully naive.

There is no dichotomy between the two; in fact, I would argue that this antiquated thinking is precisely why RIM got into trouble in the first place - they just couldn't grasp that the world had moved on from their idea of what a professional is.

The mobile phone market saw a convergence of entertainment, business, lifestyle, and the so-called professional. The suggestion that RIM needs to create a so-called professional phone whose sole purpose is to make phone calls, send text messages, and receive email messages (ok, the OP didn't exactly suggest that but you get the idea) will result in one thing only - the complete and total destruction of RIM.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to use my "consumer/toy" PS Vita to make a "professional" phone call using a "consumer/entertainment/business/serious" app called Skype.
    cdnrider and PTZ like this.
    07-26-12 03:13 PM
    The whole notion of a "professional" device vs a "consumer" device is utter nonsense. These days, every device is both a professional and consumer device at the same time and to think otherwise is absurd and, to be blunt, woefully naive.

There is no dichotomy between the two; in fact, I would argue that this antiquated thinking is precisely why RIM got into trouble in the first place - they just couldn't grasp that the world had moved on from their idea of what a professional is.

The mobile phone market saw a convergence of entertainment, business, lifestyle, and the so-called professional. The suggestion that RIM needs to create a so-called professional phone whose sole purpose is to make phone calls, send text messages, and receive email messages (ok, the OP didn't exactly suggest that but you get the idea) will result in one thing only - the complete and total destruction of RIM.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to use my "consumer/toy" PS Vita to make a "professional" phone call using a "consumer/entertainment/business/serious" app called Skype.
    Yes! Not enough users want only one type of use!
    07-26-12 08:33 PM
    In my opinion anything whitout a physical keyboard is not meant to be use as a work tool.
    07-26-12 08:59 PM
    Call me crazy but is a transition from one os to another supposed to be smooth? Is there no trial and error?

Is Qnx so good that it actually builds itself? That would explain why so many people are frustrated I guess.
    07-26-12 10:51 PM
    There is a thing called marketing.

The "gender" of the ipad is female-young-leisure. There is a market for male-mature-work. I use the term "gender" in a symbolic way, because what I mean is that young females doing scientific studies would buy such a device, in the same way as presently older males can buy an ipad for leisure.

The steps to take don't seem ber-human. First the playbook should be the best document consultation device. It should come with a native epub reader, which could also display pdf with fluid realignment of text to the screen.

Then it should the best device for a quick professional lecture. For example a senior dental surgeon takes a photograph of a dental condition, he can immediately draw arrows, add his audio comment, publish it somewhere and so on.

Then as far as fun games are concerned it doesn't prevent any free third-vendor offer like Angry Birds or Cut The Rope. But the native games should look austere and literate : logic games, checkerboard games...
    08-02-12 12:27 PM
    Interesting. We have a lot of male-mature-work people here - like an entire Marketing department for a $50bn multinational - that use iPads. It is not used as a toy. In fact, we block downloading of non sanctioned apps.

The Playbook, unfortunately, was never even in the game.

On the other hand, you couldn't do much worse that the prior CEOs at RIM.
    08-02-12 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD