08-14-13 06:44 AM
29 12
tools
    I really am trying hard to remain loyal... it's just that at every turn I'm trying to accomplish things that the Apple lot (like my kids) can do in a heartbeat, and here I am plugging on to just get the most basic things to work. I bought the Q10.... beautiful, and so far fully functional except no Viber, no Wayz, and it takes eight seconds to answer the phone when someone calls me, before the touch screen will accept the 'answer' command. And then I bought a Playbook. Same thing at first: just beautiful to look at... eat your heart out iPad. Then I realized neither camera was working (front or back) at all, video or stills. The very polite Blackberry rep (after a struggle, I finally got the phone number from the retail vendor) said he could not replace the Playbook because it was not 60 days old. So I returned it to the seller, got my money back, bought #2 on Amazon... zip zap, working cameras.

Then I tried to download pretty much any of the Apps I needed: AP mobile, Slacker, NY Times, Google Maps, American Airlines, VLC player, Google News, OnStar.... only to find that they are not available in Blackberry Apps. But, Ah, Ha! As with the Q10 where I had the same issue, I thought I could side-load them with the Chrome Plug-In or DDPB Installer, which both worked really well for getting important Apps onto the Q10. But I've now tried three times with each exactly the same way that worked fine on my Q10... but on the Playbook they will load over, give me the Icon, even start opening through the feint Blackberry word, to a completely black screen... for ever amen. No program ever shows its face. Fourteen sideloaded Apps, meticulously following the Crackberry instructions for both DDPB and the Chrome Plug In.... successful throughout each convoluted process... Any advice very welcome! Thanks!
    08-11-13 08:57 PM
    I really am trying hard to remain loyal... it's just that at every turn I'm trying to accomplish things that the Apple lot (like my kids) can do in a heartbeat, and here I am plugging on to just get the most basic things to work. I bought the Q10.... beautiful, and so far fully functional except no Viber, no Wayz, and it takes eight seconds to answer the phone when someone calls me, before the touch screen will accept the 'answer' command. And then I bought a Playbook. Same thing at first: just beautiful to look at... eat your heart out iPad. Then I realized neither camera was working (front or back) at all, video or stills. The very polite Blackberry rep (after a struggle, I finally got the phone number from the retail vendor) said he could not replace the Playbook because it was not 60 days old. So I returned it to the seller, got my money back, bought #2 on Amazon... zip zap, working cameras.

Then I tried to download pretty much any of the Apps I needed: AP mobile, Slacker, NY Times, Google Maps, American Airlines, VLC player, Google News, OnStar.... only to find that they are not available in Blackberry Apps. But, Ah, Ha! As with the Q10 where I had the same issue, I thought I could side-load them with the Chrome Plug-In or DDPB Installer, which both worked really well for getting important Apps onto the Q10. But I've now tried three times with each exactly the same way that worked fine on my Q10... but on the Playbook they will load over, give me the Icon, even start opening through the feint Blackberry word, to a completely black screen... for ever amen. No program ever shows its face. Fourteen sideloaded Apps, meticulously following the Crackberry instructions for both DDPB and the Chrome Plug In.... successful throughout each convoluted process... Any advice very welcome! Thanks!
    It's not a condition that you must stay loyal to BlackBerry. The only reason you want a BlackBerry because the devices are working better than the other options available to you. If it's not working out for you, just move on to the next option. No need to torture yourself. It's not like you work for the company and your lively hood depends on it. Playbook is not a device for you if you want certain apps. In fact it's very limited when it comes to apps and games. I never own a tablet other than Playbook. I like it for the solid build of the device. It has a set of nice front speakers, with 64G I can load quite a few movies, musics and books for my entertainment. I got a bunch of games that I rarely play. I was hoping BBM would come to playbook so I can chat with other BB devices unfortunately the hope was dashed recently. Same with the bridge. A least in Canada I can teether my playbook to my Z10 so I do not get charge for it while surfing the net. Being a phase out item I'm not afraid to use it in the public. It helps that BB is constantly in the news of not doing good. The company reputation is better than the app BlackBerry Protect. No one is touching my devices with a ten foot pole. A device should not be frustrating to use. At this rate the price is good for what the tablet can do. If it's not what you expected try a different brand. You are just making a right choice for yourself.
    1oo1 likes this.
    08-11-13 09:27 PM
    On your Android question - the version on the bb10 devices like your q10 is different than the one built into the playbook. So while you may be able to sideload some apps, they may not run.

You might want to visit goodereader

http://apps.goodereader.com/playbook...-android-apps/

and see if they have the bar files for some of the apps you want - just make sure that they indicate they will run on the pb.

Loyalty cuts both ways. Rim/bbry has royally screwed pb owners. First by abandoning their promise to bring bb10 to the pb and then by creating a crippled Bridge app for the new bb10 devices leaving the pb out in the cold yet again.

You can be loyal is you think it serves your purpose. If not, find a device or devices which do and move to them. The pb still does somethings pretty well and depending on how much you paid, it can be a worthy device. The company that makes/made it - not so great for follow-through.

Oh, and by the way, WELCOME.
    Last edited by F2; 08-12-13 at 01:01 AM.
    08-11-13 10:12 PM
    Error Code HTTP 500 on every link in a Google Search for GoodEReader....
    08-11-13 11:57 PM
    Getting the same. Was working recently when I visited. Perhaps just down for maintenance.
    08-12-13 12:12 AM
    The answer is: now.
    08-12-13 12:18 AM
    Its a matter of being loyal to yourself first. No device manufacturer is going take care of you, only you can do that.

I remember when Toyota had a huge Camry recall. Before Toyota would admit they had a deadly throttle issue they had to be sued in many international courts. Finally Toyota admitted the problem after the CEO admitted that he felt hiding the problem would help profits.

After all of that people still love and drive Toyota Camrys, by the millions.

Ya know why? Because they like Toyota Camrys.

If you like what BlackBerry devices do for you then hey, enjoy. But if you don't like what BlackBerry devices do for you then look somewhere else and take care of your self. You don't owe BlackBerry anything.
    Last edited by Zildjian71; 08-12-13 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Missing words.
    08-12-13 12:48 AM
    Try this link:

Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps :: Android APP Store – Blackberry Playbook & Z10 and Q10 Apps

I find it occasionally hard to find things on their site the way stuff is organized or, well, whatever. (and I'm going to add this to my post above)
    08-12-13 01:00 AM
    Very good question my friend..

Posted via CB10
    08-12-13 01:03 AM
    I personally think it's irrational to be "loyal" to any company whose devices aren't working for you. Move on. My BB phone and PBs are working great for me presently, serving my needs just fine, BUT when one or both fail to do that and BB doesn't have another option for me that will, I'll move on as well. FWIW, you should always research devices and their forums before purchasing, especially if your needs are app centric. It would have saved you time and grief.
    imcurved likes this.
    08-12-13 01:48 AM
    IMO, the playbook is old news to blackberry. They disappointed everybody, accepted the shame and moved on. To be honest with the new line up they have and everybody that has purchased any of the bb10 phones has said they basically don't use the playbook much anymore. I guess the phones are killing the playbook. I haven't purchased one yet, I was waiting to see if the bridge would receive any love but after seeing the Z30 I'm in.
    08-12-13 03:00 AM
    I love my Playbook and will continue using as long as it serves it's purpose. My Blackberry Bold is OK but I will replace it in the next 6 months.
    I don't have any faith in Blackberry as a company and I like a lot of customers will be looking elsewhere for future purchases.
    08-12-13 04:14 AM
    There is no irrational thing, I believe, when you are trying to be loyal to a certain brand or product... the irrational thing is when you are trying to make other irrational to be loyal to something they find irrational...

That's totally irrational...

Posted via Z10
    sibeans likes this.
    08-12-13 04:26 AM
    When is loyalty just myopic stupidity? As stated in several posts above, that is different for each situation. To stay by the side of a terminal loved one can be loyalty. To use great grandma's cast iron frying pan on a glassware stove top might be stupid! To use an electronic device that is old and out dated but still meets your needs, well if you are young it's probably stupid but if you have a bit of experience under your belt....

If you are asking the question, then you most likely already know the answer.
    FF22 likes this.
    08-12-13 01:19 PM
    I think it's completely irrational to be "loyal" to any corporation. Do you think multinational corporations would have your back in your moment of need?
    08-12-13 02:27 PM
    For well over two years now, the PlayBook has been---and remains---the ONLY tablet in the whole wide world that gives me decent web browsing, at no additional charge above my $35/mo data-only BB smartphone plan.

Any other tablet would have forced me to purchase a wifi hotspot plan at $20/mo more.

Unfortunately Verizon has since tightened the screws and is now throttling my unlimited grandfathered plan to the extent it is often practically useless. So when my contract ends in February, I'll be replacing my Curve with a MiFi device from another carrier---at which point, I have no doubt that my 2013 Nexus 7 will quickly replace the PlayBook, and my 8+ year loyalty to BlackBerry will come to a natural conclusion.

Such is life.
    08-12-13 07:23 PM
    For well over two years now, the PlayBook has been---and remains---the ONLY tablet in the whole wide world that gives me decent web browsing, at no additional charge above my $35/mo data-only BB smartphone plan.

Any other tablet would have forced me to purchase a wifi hotspot plan at $20/mo more.

Unfortunately Verizon has since tightened the screws and is now throttling my unlimited grandfathered plan to the extent it is often practically useless. So when my contract ends in February, I'll be replacing my Curve with a MiFi device from another carrier---at which point, I have no doubt that my 2013 Nexus 7 will quickly replace the PlayBook, and my 8+ year loyalty to BlackBerry will come to a natural conclusion.

Such is life.
    It's the circle of life...Cue Elton!
    08-12-13 07:30 PM
    About 4 years ago
    08-12-13 07:36 PM
    When BB is no longer loyal to their customers (about a month ago).
    FF22, dphjeff and Chrysalis1156 like this.
    08-12-13 08:14 PM
    What has BBRY done for you to inspire any loyalty?
    08-12-13 08:44 PM
    after z10 and q10, for now on i go back to my old 9900 (pretty much for bbm only), and using xperia z as main phone. bb10 is a dissapointment...i still prefer OS7 on 9900. q10 got no trackpad, super lame.
    08-12-13 11:23 PM
    I'm so loyal to BlackBerry, I may go down with the ship......
    08-12-13 11:28 PM
    I'm so loyal to BlackBerry, I may go down with the ship......
    You better strap on a life jacket .
    Consuela72 likes this.
    08-12-13 11:38 PM
    I think it becomes irrational when you need to purchase new hardware and you actually consider Blackberry again.

BlackBerry puts up 'for sale' sign, with Fairfax emerging as potential buyer - The Globe and Mail
    08-13-13 07:53 AM
    It is irrational to stay with any brand. Simple as that. If something doesn't fill your needs, then drop it and use something else. If it does most of what you need, then great! Especially with tech companies, I find sometimes what is "best" is not what has the better hardware, but has the better user ecosystem and support system. It's fine to have something on the cutting edge, or better quality, but as you have discovered, if the support universe isn't there for what you need, then select something else.

I've gone through this so many times and have been burnt more often than not. Had a great product/item, but it's lifespan was shortened because of limited support/ecosystem.
    08-13-13 11:15 AM
29 12