will our PlayBooks become bricks or will RIM have an affordable replacement plan?

It's unfortunate that the battery isn't interchangable, especially for a "corporate" device.
    02-15-12 07:04 PM
    Good question. I got one almodt as good as: If they decide to do something about it, will it be NA only or will they go worldwide?
    02-15-12 07:29 PM
    There is a flat rate in Rim's service documents. I think it was $89. By the time we need new batteries, there will probably be cheaper third party options.
    02-15-12 07:38 PM
    Bricks. But you wouldn't care by then.
    02-15-12 07:38 PM
    Plug it in or dock it. Mine will have lots of uses until it truly bricks.
    02-15-12 07:52 PM
    Plug it in or dock it. Mine will have lots of uses until it truly bricks.
    True. With wireless keyboard/mouse, it could easily become a PC...
    02-15-12 08:04 PM
    I'm not even worrying about this yet since I've seen no sign of a downward trend in battery health yet. Some time when it's been about a year since Battery Guru was launched (July 20) I'll round up data from people who've sent in export files and see if there's enough to project forward in time to when we'll be getting annoyed with the reduced battery life.

I have a suspicion RIM has designed this (mainly by limiting discharge to 3.4V) such that we'll get well over three years from it, but it's just too soon to say.
    Innovatology and DAnklaud like this.
    02-15-12 08:20 PM
    will our PlayBooks become bricks or will RIM have an affordable replacement plan?
    I guess it will be resting next to all iPad, iPhone and iPod devices out there -
    and all the others with built-in batteries....
    02-15-12 09:10 PM
    I bought an Acer laptop in August 2008 and its battery never even made it to 4 full hours. Since then, it has slowly declined such that now it only lasts about 30 minutes and I constantly get a reminder saying it is time to replace the battery. Haven't found anything for under $100 yet but haven't looked too hard. Since I mostly take my PB with me in my pocket when I go out, the laptop stays at home plugged in.

Based on this recent lithium-ion battery experience with my laptop, I feel confident the PB battery will hang in there till well into 2014, at which point I can get the battery replaced or consign it to some lesser role in the house where it can stay plugged in all the time. By then I'm sure there will be even more amazing BB devices out there for me to choose from.
    02-15-12 09:22 PM
    I don't think I ever owned a device long enough that I had to worry about the Battery.

If I do keep my 64GB, I will probably use it as a Tablet Player using the microHDMI.
    02-15-12 10:30 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD