There have been a few threads about this already but all I could find was pretty old with no new information, just wondering if anyone found anything to cure this problem or if it is definitely a bug in the OS...

Anyhow, please read this first:

I'm talking about LAN here, LOCAL area network, NOT the WAN (i.e. Internet) data rate...

Playbook reports the connection as a "G" connection, which is fine, that's what I have my router set to (our WII doesn't support "N")... BUT, the data rate shows as 11mbps, which is wrong, because everyone knows that 802.11g is 54mbps...

So I tried transfering files from a computer on the LAN to the PB, it maxes out at 350KB/S. This is far from "G"/54mbps.
    Weird thing is, looking at the router admin, I see the PB being connected and shows up "G" /54mbps.

No issues on the WAN connection, Speedtest.net reports 20mbps down/ 5mbps up, which is accurate, but LAN definitely has a problem... We should be getting at least 3 to 4MB/s on the LAN with a "G" connection.

I'll try to set the router to "N" later but I don't expect this to affect LAN speed too much.

Anyone knows if RIM is aware of that?

Oh, I'm on 2.0 beta latest build by the way, so a fix is definitely not included in this build...

Cheers!
    toffeenose likes this.
    12-09-11 07:40 AM
    Ok wait a second............... did some more test...

The issue only occurs when going from LAN computer to Playbook.
    From the Playbook to a LAN computer (using a mapped drive on the playbook), I get full "G" speed (i.e. around 650KB/s).

So problem occurs only when transfering from LAN PC to Playbook, not Playbook to LAN PC.

Weird, anyone can double check this?
    12-09-11 08:01 AM
    I haven't checked speeds, but I am connected to N routers both at home and at work. In both cases, the PlayBook reports the wrong connection type and speed. As a matter of fact, at home I have the router set to only allow N connections, and the PlayBook still shows it is on a G connection, and with the wrong speed to boot.

There are some wonky bits with the wireless connection on the PlayBook, that part is certain. As for impact on actual speed... I will have to test that part in a bit.
    12-09-11 08:35 AM
    For some reason the PlayBook does not play well with N routers. At least that has been my experience. Once I switch back to my old G router, and made certain tweaks I read about here, I was getting full 54 connections, and no more bottleneck, but on the N router always just a 11 and a bottleneck. BTW the tweak is to set your basic connection rate to all, in your router settings.
    12-09-11 08:44 AM
    Ok wait a second............... did some more test...

The issue only occurs when going from LAN computer to Playbook.
    From the Playbook to a LAN computer (using a mapped drive on the playbook), I get full "G" speed (i.e. around 650KB/s).

So problem occurs only when transfering from LAN PC to Playbook, not Playbook to LAN PC.

Weird, anyone can double check this?
    Do you get this problem when using WiFi sharing?
    12-09-11 09:04 AM
    Does WiFi Sharing work? I thought we still needed to use the work-around by putting the IP address in on the PC.
    barskin likes this.
    12-09-11 09:21 AM
    Do you get this problem when using WiFi sharing?
    Yes but only one way... from computer to Playbook.
    12-09-11 09:26 AM
    Does WiFi Sharing work? I thought we still needed to use the work-around by putting the IP address in on the PC.
    Yes but once you get the explorer popup showing the PB shares, you can right click on "media" and map it as a network drive... in Windows that is, can't say for MAC.
    chi-town311 likes this.
    12-09-11 09:27 AM
    Cool RicThot. i will try that. Didn't know that was possible.
    12-09-11 10:59 AM
    When I had my router set to N only, my PlayBook reported 802.11a! Bizarre is the only way to describe this thing's wifi characteristics. I can't remember the speeds exactly, but I want to say it said 23mbps.
    12-09-11 01:16 PM
    i noticed the same problem and followed this topic post to get faster speeds. it does fix the Laptop > Playbook speeds over lan.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...haring-609013/

works great. hatax posted the instructions on how to do it about half way down the page.

According to these posts it appears this is a blackberry problem. Others having been using this fix for blackberry phones on the lan for a while im guessing prior to getting a playbook.
    RicThot likes this.
    12-09-11 06:20 PM
    I was just about to post that Guyzer... Guys it's what I use now to download files from computer to PlayBook and it's faster than WiFi sharing for me.

And by the way I never mapped my PlayBook as a drive, for WiFi sharing, all I do is find the "run" application and type in the IP address of my PlayBook and takes me to my PB... WiFi sharing is pretty good, but setting up your computer as a server using IIS is a bit faster.
    12-09-11 07:50 PM
    Just updated my PB to the latest version of the OS (I put off updating it, to experiment with DingleBerry)

Now that I have updated it guess what.... I am having WiFi problems.

Pages won't load, and I can't connect to my computer via WiFi sharing... I think ANOTHER wipe is imminent

EDIT: RESET MY ROUTER AND EVERYTHING'S FINE AGAIN... I'M A HAPPY CAMPER AGAIN
    Last edited by bounce007; 12-09-11 at 08:47 PM.
    12-09-11 08:26 PM
    i noticed the same problem and followed this topic post to get faster speeds. it does fix the Laptop > Playbook speeds over lan.

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...haring-609013/

works great. hatax posted the instructions on how to do it about half way down the page.

According to these posts it appears this is a blackberry problem. Others having been using this fix for blackberry phones on the lan for a while im guessing prior to getting a playbook.
    Hey thanks, I'll give this a try!
    12-10-11 10:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD