NO updates at all? No Bridge fix? I've been waiting for my contract to run out to see what happens. That happens February 2014.

Should I just purchase another smartphone and its tablet?

Opinions anyone? Thor?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Playbook. I'm currently streaming movies to the TV off the web. Excellent! But the future is the future and everything will keep changing. I will use what I can while I can but I don`t want to flog a dead horse. I have not purchased a BB10 phone yet and will not unless something changes.
    Last edited by sparrow300; 08-02-13 at 09:29 PM. Reason: More to say
    08-02-13 09:21 PM
    there might be some small bug fixes and that is going to be it probably. I dont think they will even fix the bridge at this point
    08-02-13 09:30 PM
    NO updates at all? No Bridge fix? I've been waiting for my contract to run out to see what happens. That happens February 2014.

Opinions anyone? Thor?
    my opinion, wait & see,,, if BB continues to go the "average & incomplete is ok" route, i'd say look elsewhere,,, but it all comes down to what suits YOU,,, for now, i'm running my 9850 & playbook 'til they explode, even as we speak/write, i have an upgrade ready to go,,, i won't jump on anything BB right now, as it's all 1/2 baked,,, when the time comes i'll be leaning towards whatever ASUS has cookin',,, they make notoriously excellent hardware, but run 'droid, which i'm not a fan of,,, if they release their devices w/ a clean version, i might check it out,,, Motorola seems to be gaining some traction, too, but i haven't looked into any tablet options they may/may not be looking into,,, that leaves apple, again not a fan, but we'll see how much they rob from BB,,, maybe their implementation/execution/device interaction will be better when i'm ready to make a move...

EDIT: ASUS is also using windows in some of their tablets,,, again, not my thing, just sayin'...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 08-03-13 at 03:25 PM.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-02-13 09:32 PM
    Which contract runs out, for your phone? Or do you have a PB LTE on a contract that runs out in Feb?
    Your profile says you have a Style 9670: is that still right?
    08-02-13 09:32 PM
    Which contract runs out, for your phone? Or do you have a PB LTE on a contract that runs out in Feb?
    Your profile says you have a Style 9670: is that still right?
    That is correct. Same phone. My Bridge still works.
    08-02-13 09:36 PM
    Opinions anyone? Thor?
    If your waiting for an answer from Thor your going to be SOL. However it looks like you have a little time before you have to decide on what to do. Maybe something good will happen end between now and February. There isn't much to choose from and I'm unsure also.
    08-02-13 09:36 PM
    Link to Playbook update.
    madman0141 likes this.
    08-02-13 10:37 PM
    there might be some small bug fixes and that is going to be it probably. I dont think they will even fix the bridge at this point
    It would seem like that, and yet one of the more recent BlackBerry 10 leaks (I think it may have been the last 10.1 MR leak) had some updates applied to the Bridge apps on the phone side - makes it seem as if they're at the very least toying with the idea of fixing Bridge.

But in response to the OP, I'd wait until your contract is nearing its end to see what devices suit you best at the time. By then, we'll know for sure whether or not anything is still in store for the PlayBook, BlackBerry 10.2 will have rolled out by then, and if BlackBerry is planning another tablet we might just hear about it by then.
    08-02-13 10:41 PM
    I tend to agree with the others. You seem to have time to make any decisions as long as what you have now serves your needs and it sounds like the pb and bb phone you have with the existing Bridge works. I have a bit more time - till next March. I did look at an Acer W8 with full Windows 8. But a defective sd card slot resulted in a return and I've taken that as a sign that I can wait! Next I'm buying some tea leaves and entrails to see if they provide any more guidance.

Seriously, between now and next February will be an eon in tech changes, I'm sure.
    08-02-13 10:43 PM
    The PlayBook has already hit the discount shelves if you can find one so I don't think there will be any increase in support. The 1GB of memory limits what can be done with BB10. The only thing you can do is accept it for what it is: a well built tablet that does several things very well.

I had breakfast with another IT guy this week and he has a 10" Windows tablet with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Small Business Server using VM. 190GB. He had a "mine's bigger than yours" mentality, but the PlayBook does what I need right now. Tablet technology is progressing at a crazy pace. I think my PlayBook will do until the next generation from RIM, Android, and Windows comes out.
    08-02-13 11:14 PM
    I tend to agree with the others. You seem to have time to make any decisions as long as what you have now serves your needs and it sounds like the pb and bb phone you have with the existing Bridge works. I have a bit more time - till next March. I did look at an Acer W8 with full Windows 8. But a defective sd card slot resulted in a return and I've taken that as a sign that I can wait! Next I'm buying some tea leaves and entrails to see if they provide any more guidance.

Seriously, between now and next February will be an eon in tech changes, I'm sure.
    yeah, i'm w/ ya on that,,, my current setup kicks azz, & i'm in no hurry either,,, whatever i decide to get next will be there when i get there,,, one thing i will require is /ac compatibility,,, my ASUS rt-ac66u has it baked in & the speed will be awesome when i get a device to use it,,, as it is, this thing is smokin' on 2.4/5 ghz/n (pb & 9850 are on "n") & has great range...
    08-03-13 03:19 PM
    Well, if your PlayBook works great with Bridge and your Style, the problem is with the BB10 phones, not your PlayBook.

"All" that has to happen is an update to BB10 so that the "Bridge" program on BB10 talks to the PlayBook using the same language and saying the same things as on BBOS.

No matter what anyone else tells you, don't believe for a second that this is "too hard" for BlackBerry to do... nor should it even be "costly"... it's just that their PlayBook / BB10 customers are so beneath notice that they just aren't going to bother, even for the few pennies it would cost for implemenation.

and.... we're back to 'rage' again.
    FF22 and cmdr_dan like this.
    08-03-13 04:11 PM
    Christmas, it's nearly Christmas boys!
    08-03-13 04:14 PM
    Christmas, it's nearly Christmas boys!
    Ahem, remember you're in America. WE celebrate many different holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-03-13 04:43 PM
    Ahem, remember you're in America. WE celebrate many different holidays!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oh!, so when is it Christmas here in this heathen backwater?
    madman0141 and dphjeff like this.
    08-03-13 05:02 PM
    the new BlackBerry corporate motto

FF22, reschp, axllebeer and 4 others like this.
    08-03-13 05:05 PM
    Oh!, so when is it Christmas here in this heathen backwater?
    I will consult my Rabbi and get back to you. And, no, there is no "t" missing from the word.
    dphjeff likes this.
    08-03-13 07:35 PM

Opinions anyone? Thor?

Don't get me wrong. I love the Playbook. I'm currently streaming movies to the TV off the web. Excellent! But the future is the future and everything will keep changing. I will use what I can while I can but I don`t want to flog a dead horse. I have not purchased a BB10 phone yet and will not unless something changes.
    It depends...

If Bridging is everything to you then keep both running as long as you can. As for BB10 it doesn't bridge well...yet, and maybe never, but it will be a local WiFi hot spot if you pay your carrier for that ability.

I guess the real question is how often do you upgrade your car? Do you trade it in as soon as another model comes out with more techno goodies on it? Or do you enjoy it 'til its last gasping breath?

What ever the thing is that you use, if you still enjoy the use you get out of it then it makes more sense to keep using it.
    08-03-13 10:29 PM
    My contract ended a couple months ago. I was all set to get the Q10 to replace the 9810 until the lack of bridge functionality wasn't addressed. I'll keep my 9810 / PB combo until one of them become problematic or something better comes along. Either BB gets their act together and shows their legacy users a bit of respect or I'll move my loyalties also. Until then I still have a great combo.
    FF22, dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    08-04-13 06:32 PM
    I will consult my Rabbi and get back to you. And, no, there is no "t" missing from the word.
    F2 you're the Ambassador you should not get upset you're a bigger man than that and I accept you for all your flaws
    FF22 likes this.
    08-04-13 06:51 PM
    F2 you're the Ambassador you should not get upset you're a bigger man than that and I accept you for all your flaws
    If anything F2 should be the most upset. All the good will he extended to many playbook owners to be pizz away by BB.
    08-04-13 06:57 PM
    I was replying with TONGUE firmly in cheek. I thought the devil emoticon was a good counterpoint! (g)
    madman0141, dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    08-04-13 08:03 PM
    If anything F2 should be the most upset. All the good will he extended to many playbook owners to be pizz away by BB.
    Can I get upset as well?

Posted via CB10
    dphjeff and Carl Estes like this.
    08-04-13 08:27 PM
    Can I get upset as well?

Posted via CB10
    Not you. You can't get any sadder
    08-04-13 08:46 PM
    Can I get upset as well?

Posted via CB10
    I thought your job was TO upset. Not get upset.

But if you need to, go for it.
    08-04-13 09:48 PM
41 12