I guess it depends on viewing habits. I'm not one to watch the same show/movie twice. The exceptions being MASH, Sienfeld, My cousin Vinny. None of those available on Netflix. I did watch airplane again. Still funny. My optical cable company has a good online selection that works for me. My free trial is almost over with Netflix and I won't renew. They do have a good selection of kids shows though.
    01-13-12 12:11 PM
    Netflix used to have 2 big benefits: it was a great value and the convenience of being built into many Blu Ray players makes it very easy to use. But I gotta disagree with the statement above. I had Netflix and cancelled a few months ago. Most of what I wanted to order had to come on DVD or Blu Ray and wasn't available via streaming. That tossed out the convenience factor for me. Their decision to break apart streaming and disks for the same price doubled the cost, so what was a great value became so-so.

Ton of stuff for kids available, but I don't want my kids watching much TV (yeah, I'm a hypocrite ). It's no longer cheap nor convenient for me.
    Thats why you can buy a 3 dollar Browser Channel for the Roku that gives you access to "Every Watch Instantly" movie available on their network. "The Expendables" just landed not to long ago. When did that flick come out? August 2010???

If it costs 20 Balloons for 2 people to go see 1 movies in the Theater and a Roku will cost you 50 to 100 Bucks???

Whats the alternative that gets you the movies so much quicker and doesn't include the price of buying a disk, renting a disk, or setting fire to your money with Cox or DirectTV or the like?

BTW: When I said "No Commercials" that includes "Everything I Watch", not just movies.

Roku Streaming Player | Watch Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Instant Video, Crackle and More on Roku Player

https://signup.netflix.com/Watch?lnk...1&rdirfdc=true

http://www.roku.com/roku-channel-store#15
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-13-12 at 12:19 PM.
    01-13-12 12:14 PM
    movie wise they are old but still good movies . u wont get bluckbusters there.
    but the documentary selection is wide and amazing.
    mariobastros likes this.
    01-13-12 12:18 PM
    I did watch airplane again. Still funny.
    Heh, Julie Hagerty is my cousin, fwiw .
    Chaddface and olblueyez like this.
    01-13-12 12:18 PM
    movie wise they are old but still good movies . u wont get bluckbusters there.
    but the documentary selection is wide and amazing.
    Funny, I just watched Tron Legacy last night. Yeah, the Documentries are amazing, and for cable and satilite subscribers, eye opening. Network television is nothing more than dumbed down brain washing crud.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-13-12 at 12:23 PM.
    01-13-12 12:20 PM
    Heh, Julie Hagerty is my cousin, fwiw .
    Julie Hagerty was mucho funny in that movie!!! I love it.
    01-13-12 12:25 PM
    u dont get hit movies at netflix. sorry . but ive been a longtime netflix customer. a real bluckbuster movie not a b movie.
    01-13-12 12:27 PM
    lol, Tron Legacy is not a blockbuster movie.
    mariobastros likes this.
    01-13-12 12:36 PM
    Thats why you can buy a 3 dollar Browser Channel for the Roku that gives you access to "Every Watch Instantly" movie available on their network. "The Expendables" just landed not to long ago. When did that flick come out? August 2010???

If it costs 20 Balloons for 2 people to go see 1 movies in the Theater and a Roku will cost you 50 to 100 Bucks???

Whats the alternative that gets you the movies so much quicker and doesn't include the price of buying a disk, renting a disk, or setting fire to your money with Cox or DirectTV or the like?

BTW: When I said "No Commercials" that includes "Everything I Watch", not just movies.
    I think you've hit the nail on the head for me - an alternative. I've got a lot of alternatives that compete for my time and money, and they don't all necessarily involve movies. I find myself spending a whole lot more time with my Nook these days.

I don't want to argue about whether Netflix should be available. Clearly a lot of people enjoy it and want it, so I really do hope it becomes available for the PB. But somehow the availability of Netflix seems to have become the gold standard by which a portable device is measured. That's a concept I struggle with.
    01-13-12 12:45 PM
    I guess it depends on viewing habits. I'm not one to watch the same show/movie twice. The exceptions being MASH, Sienfeld, My cousin Vinny. None of those available on Netflix. I did watch airplane again. Still funny. My optical cable company has a good online selection that works for me. My free trial is almost over with Netflix and I won't renew. They do have a good selection of kids shows though.
    I love my cousin Vinny! i wish it was on netflix
    01-13-12 12:50 PM
    - An endless supply of kids movies (Dora, Backyardigans, Dragon Tales, etc)
    - All of the seasons of The Office (7 seasons), Parks and Recreation (3 seasons), Lie To Me (4 seasons)
    - Reality shows - Axemen, Ice road truckers, Swamp Loggers, etc
    - Endless supply of documentaries - everything from the food you eat to the Iraq War

Not to mention new movies, shows and documentaries added on a semi-regular basis.

Dont get me wrong Netflix is run by imbesciles but if you cant find something to watch on their streaming service there is something wrong.
    01-13-12 01:11 PM
    lol, Tron Legacy is not a blockbuster movie.
    Define blockbuster? It brought in over $50 million on its opening weekend.
    01-13-12 01:15 PM
    I think you've hit the nail on the head for me - an alternative. I've got a lot of alternatives that compete for my time and money, and they don't all necessarily involve movies. I find myself spending a whole lot more time with my Nook these days.

I don't want to argue about whether Netflix should be available. Clearly a lot of people enjoy it and want it, so I really do hope it becomes available for the PB. But somehow the availability of Netflix seems to have become the gold standard by which a portable device is measured. That's a concept I struggle with.
    I don't consider it a gold standard for a phone, or a requirement. I was just trying to point out that 50 to 100 bucks for a Roku and 18 Balloons per month for Netflix completely destroys the competition, such as Cox, DirectTV, Dish, etc,,...

For your Television, at Home.
    herculesinwyoming likes this.
    01-13-12 01:20 PM
    I don't consider it a gold standard for a phone, or a requirement. I was just trying to point out that 50 to 100 bucks for a Roku and 18 Balloons per month for Netflix completely destroys the competition, such as Cox, DirectTV, Dish, etc,,...

For your Television, at Home.
    Tell me you get that new reality show that's loosely based on the Jersey Shore reality show called "Head Hunting Cannibals of Papua-New Guinea" and then I'll believe Roku and Netflix is better then Cox.
    01-13-12 03:13 PM
    Tell me you get that new reality show that's loosely based on the Jersey Shore reality show called "Head Hunting Cannibals of Papua-New Guinea" and then I'll believe Roku and Netflix is better then Cox.
    Tell me your not serious, right?

We just got done watching a whole season of "Walking Dead". We don't usually do TV stuff but Karen and I are both Zombie Heads!

Last Show we ever followed was "The Shield".

I don't know why people keep saying Netflix doesn't have "Blockbusters". The only movies I know of that you can't get through streaming or the mail are out of circulation.

I've had Cox before, were each Movie network charges about half the cost of Netflix and they rotate the same crap all year long with a few add-ins each month. And then any TV programming is riddled with commercials. And little to no Documentries?

Base Price
    Couple of Movie Networks
    What is that? Like 40 or 50 Ballons per month for a fraction of the content and with a gillion commercials on everything but movies?

Roku
    50 to 100 one time only
    18 Balloons per month for Netflix
    Internet Access <-- I guess you can add that to the price if you can say "My Home has no need for internet access if not for Roku".
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-14-12 at 06:16 PM.
    01-14-12 05:01 PM
    The price doesn't matter if it can't do want you need. I watch sports so I need access to the network channels. DVR takes care of commercials. On demand takes care of my movie fix and just about anything else I want to watch. Also it just works instantly all the time.
    Cable and Roku are different animals. Which is better depends on what you watch.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-14-12 05:35 PM
    The price doesn't matter if it can't do want you need. I watch sports so I need access to the network channels. DVR takes care of commercials. On demand takes care of my movie fix and just about anything else I want to watch. Also it just works instantly all the time.
    Cable and Roku are different animals. Which is better depends on what you watch.
    I don't remember sports coming up in the conversation. Roku doesn't have sports?
    01-14-12 06:20 PM
    Oh boy. I remember now. I'm sorry to have entered your converstaion.
    Last edited by Chaddface; 01-14-12 at 06:54 PM.
    01-14-12 06:33 PM
    Tell me your not serious, right?

We just got done watching a whole season of "Walking Dead". We don't usually do TV stuff but Karen and I are both Zombie Heads!

Last Show we ever followed was "The Shield".

I don't know why people keep saying Netflix doesn't have "Blockbusters". The only movies I know of that you can't get through streaming or the mail are out of circulation.

I've had Cox before, were each Movie network charges about half the cost of Netflix and they rotate the same crap all year long with a few add-ins each month. And then any TV programming is riddled with commercials. And little to no Documentries?

Base Price
    Couple of Movie Networks
    What is that? Like 40 or 50 Ballons per month for a fraction of the content and with a gillion commercials on everything but movies?

Roku
    50 to 100 one time only
    18 Balloons per month for Netflix
    Internet Access <-- I guess you can add that to the price if you can say "My Home has no need for internet access if not for Roku".
    The Walking Dead Rocks!! If you're into Post-Apocalyptic stuff. Check out Jericho. Entire 1st season is on Netflix. About the survivors of a nuclear attack. Not the Walking Dead but a pretty good show.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-14-12 09:18 PM
    To each his own. Some people like Netflix, some don't. Personally I don't. We tried it and found for the money we didn't use it much. With satellite and DVR we already have choice overload. No commercials, scheduled recording for anything we're interested in, watch anytime, pause,backup, start over, even with live TV. Old movies, cancelled series, independent specialty channels etc......

BUT what I have a hard time with, and this is personal opinion of course, is how ANYBODY can stand to watch ANYTHING on a 10, 7 or especially a 4" screen?!!!! Really? I won't watch anything on less than a 42" now lol. And if you're talking mobility, I'm still not interested. I'll read a book or play a game before i'm so hard up to watch anything on that small of a screen. And I've never been that hard up or desperate yet.
    01-15-12 02:04 AM
    I'd never use it. But it would help to sell units. So it would be a positive. Anything to grow the platform and attract other stuff I do want.
    01-15-12 02:21 AM
    i think netflix is awesome .!!!!
    01-17-12 09:29 AM
    The Walking Dead Rocks!! If you're into Post-Apocalyptic stuff. Check out Jericho. Entire 1st season is on Netflix. About the survivors of a nuclear attack. Not the Walking Dead but a pretty good show.
    Jericho was AWESOME!!! Plus I'm from Kansas and it was neat hearing them throw around the names of nearby towns. The 2nd season sucked though, since it had been canceled and the writers seemed to crank out the episodes to meet demand. I didn't know the 1st season was on Netflix. I might have to revisit that when I'm done w/ X-Files .
    01-17-12 09:33 AM
    funny how i see netflix add here and i cant use it officially . lol
    01-17-12 10:07 AM
    funny how i see netflix add here and i cant use it officially . lol
    Mobile nations.
    01-17-12 10:10 AM
102 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD