if he's downloading both, how is his internet to blame for one but not the other? That just doesn't make sense to me.
    But it makes sense that it's a Netflix issue?
    01-11-12 06:16 PM
    funny stuff

But then again I can take a joke

Cheers brother!

Just yankin' ya chain...
    omniusovermind likes this.
    01-11-12 06:18 PM
    umm... netflix is awesome. i cant do without it, even with the limited selection in canada.

i mean,

megashark versus crocosaurus! starring Jaleel White!

thats worth $8/mo right there.
    01-11-12 06:22 PM
    I like my netflix on the tv or computer but it has never worked right on my ipod touch, i just hope if they do bring it to the playbook, they make sure it works properly.
    01-11-12 06:33 PM
    I'm going to summarize by saying this - Netflix is only semi-popular because there are a lot of people who won't dust the cobwebs off their wallet / purse and would rather decades old movies/TV for $8/month than pay more for current content.
    Excellent! BZ to you!
    I'm afraid you couldn't be more mistaken, at least in my case. I also have Netflix Bluray service, as well as Amazon Prime and cable On Demand. Not to mention of course HBO etc.

It's only semi-popular if one takes just you and me. Add more into the equation, and it is indeed popular.

People want it. The PlayBook, as wonderful as it otherwise is, doesn't have it. That's a shortcoming.
    01-11-12 06:35 PM

People want it. The PlayBook, as wonderful as it otherwise is, doesn't have it. That's a shortcoming.
    you've made that point already and I've made a counter argument to it as well already.
    01-11-12 07:13 PM
    There are many reasons people may want it...

One that comes to mind is how easy it is to watch a movie, show, documentary, etc. For example... My son came over when the Giants was playing the Cowgirls and I just turned on the netflix on my iPad and let him have a ball. It may be old content or not the best, but my son has yet to run out of things to watch.

I have quite a few ways to watch Netflix or have my son watch if I needed, but others may not.
    01-11-12 07:36 PM
    But it makes sense that it's a Netflix issue?
    I didn't blame either. I was just saying...
    01-11-12 07:48 PM
    I think its quite fair that the selection is so bad, because it doesn't cost a lot of money each month, but i would rather pay $20 a month to get good movies than to pay $8 and get a bunch of junk...
    01-11-12 07:54 PM
    I had a free Netflix trial for about a month on my TV and I noticed that after watching maybe a dozen movies (all of which I had seen before, only a couple of them did well in theatres) the rest of the selection was mostly really old junk I've never even heard of. But if you go by the amount of people who keep wanting it on PB you'd think Netflix was like some direct line to thousands of box office hits! I don't get it. I did see one person mention that they do have a fair selection for small children but that's the only thing I've seen that could explain it. I know it's dirt cheap but I seriously wouldn't even pirate most of those movies for free. I find more full-length history channel documentaries on YouTube that are good, than I have found decent movies on Netflix.
    I totally agree.

Michaelaw
    01-11-12 07:57 PM
    Arrested Development, for that reason alone I want it on my PB. Not to mention Mad Men, The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Justified...

For $7.99, Netflix is a no brainer for me. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I want Netflix on my PB.
    bulls2213 and pantlesspenguin like this.
    01-11-12 08:13 PM
    If your local cable provider offered you their movies/TV on demand service, which is normally quite expensive, for this price you would not even hear about Netflix, and that's the biggest nail in the coffin of any argument that Netflix is good.
    But but but...but they don't. Local providers don't offer you their movies etc etc at the same price point as Netflix. And if they did, it's no guarantee that Netflix would die, sometimes the overall experience (e.g. an iPad) trumps something that might be technically better (e.g. a PB).

It's hard to argue with hypothetical situations. Let's just say that Netflix offers tons of movies, even recent ones, that will fill out an evening when there is nothing on TV, from something as early as the original Terminator to something as recent as the latest Star Trek reboot, and lots in between. So for $8 a month, it's not bad. Is it necessary to have it on the PB? Nah. But is it a bad service? I don't think so. Not for the price.
    ecliptor likes this.
    01-11-12 08:22 PM
    i have had netflix for over a year now. i love it, they update there selection frequently. i buy the movies i really like on blu ray but the older ones or movies that i think are alright but not worth my money i watch on netflix. also i like to watch tv series on netflix. too each their own though right? but for me it's money well spent(by my wife) i probably watch more netflix then i do cable tv
    01-11-12 08:28 PM
    Netflix = I watch what I want, when I want, and with no commercials. I also have access to news programs that don't participate in the corporate brain washing the large network news programs cannot get away from. 18 Balloons per month.

Roku

Cable? Not even close.
    Satilite? Not even close.

You can't find any good or new movies on Netflix? It because you haven't tried or you haven't tried recently.

Did I mention that I don't have to watch commercials?

Cable and Satilite users, keep on drinking the Kool-Aid.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-13-12 06:35 AM
    i too couldnt care less about netflix and still i can watch what i want when i want without any commercials.
    01-13-12 06:40 AM
    Cox Cable, watch what I want, when I want, commercial free, the latest and greatest movies, and only a lousy buck for each movie. We use it 2 or 3 times a month which is 1/6th the cost of Netflix.

My Kool-Aid tastes just fine.
    pmccartney likes this.
    01-13-12 06:49 AM
    I left netflix when they changed thier rate plan, and so far i havnt missed it at all, netflix on a 7 inch tablet isnt a big deal to me.
    01-13-12 06:54 AM
    Would love to have netflix. Any movie you have not seen is a new movie regardless of when it was made. We will get it eventually. Hang on, good things are going to happen with this device. In spite of rim management.
    01-13-12 07:30 AM
    Cox Cable, watch what I want, when I want, commercial free, the latest and greatest movies, and only a lousy buck for each movie. We use it 2 or 3 times a month which is 1/6th the cost of Netflix.

My Kool-Aid tastes just fine.
    So you pay Cox each month but you don't watch television much. Except for maybe 3 movies.

Sounds like your Kool-Aid is spiked with Bourbon.
    01-13-12 11:45 AM
    So you pay Cox each month but you don't watch television much. Except for maybe 3 movies.

Sounds like your Kool-Aid is spiked with Bourbon.
    I get all the first run movies I care to watch for free; for what I can't wait for to be scheduled on regular cable, I'll pay that dollar. Otherwise, cable for me is all about fair and balanced national and world news, educational programs, cooking shows, and Law & Order, Justified, MASH, etc.
    01-13-12 11:49 AM
    Would love to have netflix. Any movie you have not seen is a new movie regardless of when it was made. We will get it eventually. Hang on, good things are going to happen with this device. In spite of rim management.
    I would like to have it too. I use my Blackberry to kill time when I'm out and things aren't moving fast enough for me. Encoding movies is easy these days but then your talkin about a movie you already have and storing movies on your phone isn't very practical. Access to my Netflix account via my Blackberry would be nice. I cannot think of a reason why Netflix would put out such an app though. Even if they did it would probably be Apple and Android.
    01-13-12 11:50 AM
    I get all the first run movies I care to watch for free; for what I can't wait for to be scheduled on regular cable, I'll pay that dollar. Otherwise, cable for me is all about fair and balanced national and world news, educational programs, cooking shows, and Law & Order, Justified, MASH, etc.
    Funny how you dont bring up price.

"fair and balanced national and world news, educational programs, cooking shows, and Law & Order, Justified, MASH,"

Roku has all that in addition to Netflix. Especially the "fair and balanced" part. Cox doesn't have CurrentTV and DemocracyNow so call it fair and balanced all you want. The only news programs I trust besides those two are ones that are unknown to me. Oh, forgot John Stewart.
    Last edited by olblueyez; 01-13-12 at 12:06 PM.
    01-13-12 11:55 AM
    Come on, tell me how this wouldn't be cool to have on the PB!!!

01-13-12 12:00 PM
    Netflix = I watch what I want, when I want, and with no commercials. I also have access to news programs that don't participate in the corporate brain washing the large network news programs cannot get away from. 18 Balloons per month.

Roku

Cable? Not even close.
    Satilite? Not even close.

You can't find any good or new movies on Netflix? It because you haven't tried or you haven't tried recently.
    Did I mention that I don't have to watch commercials?

Cable and Satilite users, keep on drinking the Kool-Aid.
    Netflix used to have 2 big benefits: it was a great value and the convenience of being built into many Blu Ray players makes it very easy to use. But I gotta disagree with the statement above. I had Netflix and cancelled a few months ago. Most of what I wanted to order had to come on DVD or Blu Ray and wasn't available via streaming. That tossed out the convenience factor for me. Their decision to break apart streaming and disks for the same price doubled the cost, so what was a great value became so-so.

Ton of stuff for kids available, but I don't want my kids watching much TV (yeah, I'm a hypocrite ). It's no longer cheap nor convenient for me.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-13-12 12:03 PM
    Once you have a streaming device, lots of free windows open. The Documentries on Netflix alone are worth 10 times the price of any content Cox could ever offer.

I think the problem is some of us like myself are comparing the capabilities of a streaming device like the Roku, which is a lot more than just Netflix, to something else like say, Cox or DirectTV.

Having something like Cox when you could have Roku is like sticking with the old Dodge Dart Compared to a New Chrysler 300C. There is no contest.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-13-12 12:05 PM
102 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD