All you guys asking why you NEED Netflix on PB and you are using lack of content as the reason not to care are missing the point. As a Netflix user I know it's content limitations. So it's not about the content but more about the accessibility. I bought my tablet for entertainment only. Part of that entertainment includes accessing my Netflix queue and being able to stream when I am on the go. It’s true that some of the content might be old, however, there are some good stuff too both US and International. Also, for those of you just doing a one month trial then deciding the movies suck, try rating the movies you like. I am convinced that you will like the suggestions Netflix gives you. The more you rate the more accurate the algorithm improves suggestions for you.
    pantlesspenguin and Cozmik like this.
    01-11-12 01:43 PM
    I understand the Netflix fixation. It is the Achilles heel of Playbook and one of the only remaining criticisms of this awesome device.
    That and Skype. The others are being checked off one by one.

What else is left to complain about? Other than a (relatively) small but exponentially growing app market?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-11-12 at 01:52 PM.
    01-11-12 01:49 PM
    At home we use it all the time for Kids shows, it's amazing for that. I also use it to watch independent films, there's a lot of choices there. While waiting at airports (if I get free Wifi), I use it to stream "light" movies, like Police Academy, or other movies that I like to re-watch (yesterday I watched Office Space, still funny). There's actually quite a bit of selection if you're willing to open yourself up to not watching new Hollywood blockbusters.
    01-11-12 01:49 PM
    Yes, but Netflix (streaming only service, no downloading) and a Wifi tablet isn't really "on the go". I guess that's why I don't get it. I could see a small portion wanting it because they don't have a computer or their TV's are not always free, but for so many people to "need" it, I just don't get it.
    01-11-12 01:51 PM
    Netflix isn't the only wobbly crutch the haters use to blast the PB, games...they wan't a gazillion kiddy games to play on a 7" screen; oh, it doesn't have a Kindle app, waaaaaaaa; pdf sucks, waaaaaa; no native Facebook, waaaaaaa, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
    01-11-12 01:57 PM
    At home we use it all the time for Kids shows, it's amazing for that. I also use it to watch independent films, there's a lot of choices there. While waiting at airports (if I get free Wifi), I use it to stream "light" movies, like Police Academy, or other movies that I like to re-watch (yesterday I watched Office Space, still funny). There's actually quite a bit of selection if you're willing to open yourself up to not watching new Hollywood blockbusters.
    Very true. It excels at classic, independent, and foreign films, kid's fare (my kids are glued to it on their Kindle Fires), and premium-type TV shows (i.e., Mad Men, Breaking Bad). And there are new releases, just not a lot of them.

The people who "don't get it" have narrower or different tastes, apparently. And it is a shortcoming not to have it on the PB.
    01-11-12 02:04 PM
    Omnius, are you in Canada? The Netflix selection in Canada is paltry, to say the least.
    01-11-12 02:11 PM
    I have netflix and i think i've watched 1 movie in the pat three months. so that's like 21 bucks for a movie rental. i should prob cancel it. I have the app on my iphone and used it once or twice. Most of the stuff i want to watch on netflix, I already have downloaded or can get it quickly.
    01-11-12 02:13 PM
    and 202 episodes of X-Files!
    Score!!! I know what I'm doing tonight! Gillian Anderson here I come!
    01-11-12 02:16 PM
    Very true. It excels at classic, independent, and foreign films, kid's fare (my kids are glued to it on their Kindle Fires), and premium-type TV shows (i.e., Mad Men, Breaking Bad). And there are new releases, just not a lot of them.

The people who "don't get it" have narrower or different tastes, apparently. And it is a shortcoming not to have it on the PB.

different yes, narrower no. As for shortcoming that's a matter of personal opinion. Anything missing on a tablet could be defined as a shortcoming (and sadly usually is). The point is that it's not enough of a shortcoming to justify the ridiculous amount of posts (on this forum alone from what I've seen) demanding it as a "must have do or die deal breaker", which of course is ludicrous when you factor in just how useful it really is to the average user. Netflix is only seeing this much attention because it's dirt cheap. That's it. There's practically nothing for current content. It's not even an above average service.

If your local cable provider offered you their movies/TV on demand service, which is normally quite expensive, for this price you would not even hear about Netflix, and that's the biggest nail in the coffin of any argument that Netflix is good. I'm going to summarize by saying this - Netflix is only semi-popular because there are a lot of people who won't dust the cobwebs off their wallet / purse and would rather decades old movies/TV for $8/month than pay more for current content.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-11-12 02:23 PM
    different yes, narrower no. As for shortcoming that's a matter of personal opinion. Anything missing on a tablet could be defined as a shortcoming (and sadly usually is). The point is that it's not enough of a shortcoming to justify the ridiculous amount of posts (on this forum alone from what I've seen) demanding it as a "must have do or die deal breaker", which of course is ludicrous when you factor in just how useful it really is to the average user. Netflix is only seeing this much attention because it's dirt cheap. That's it. There's practically nothing for current content. It's not even an above average service.

If your local cable provider offered you their movies/TV on demand service, which is normally quite expensive, for this price you would not even hear about Netflix, and that's the biggest nail in the coffin of any argument that Netflix is good. I'm going to summarize by saying this - Netflix is only semi-popular because there are a lot of people who won't dust the cobwebs off their wallet / purse and would rather decades old movies/TV for $8/month than pay more for current content.
    Excellent! BZ to you!
    01-11-12 02:26 PM
    Netflix isn't the only wobbly crutch the haters use to blast the PB, games...they wan't a gazillion kiddy games to play on a 7" screen; oh, it doesn't have a Kindle app, waaaaaaaa; pdf sucks, waaaaaa; no native Facebook, waaaaaaa, etc, etc, ad nauseum.
    What's wrong with wanting those things if they'll be beneficial to the user, though? I personally would LOVE a Kindle app because I like reading and I have a lot of Kindle content. Why is that wrong??
    01-11-12 02:27 PM
    Omnius, are you in Canada? The Netflix selection in Canada is paltry, to say the least.
    I am but there's ways around region detection which I probably can't mention here
    01-11-12 02:27 PM
    I have had netflix for over a year now and although i have their app on my i4 (now i4s), PS3, XBox360, etc. I have watched may be a dozen movies so far... the selection has become shi*ty over time and I see them becoming less and less relevant.... I dont know why I havent cancelled the subscription yet, may be because its just about $10

The netflix app will not add any value to my PBs and nor will Skype....( I dont know what else folks use skype for, but international calling is so cheap these days).
    01-11-12 02:28 PM
    netflix is for people who want on demand childrens shows or from what I can tell.. pople who dont know how or maybee to lazy to search around for what they want to watch... even still paying $8 a month to watch reruns and b movies? meh
    01-11-12 02:32 PM
    I have a netflix streaming account. I watch a ton of NOVA and films I would other wise not have invested time into but turn out to be fantastic. I complained that there was no netflix for pb and then i got an android tablet with netflix app and I never use it for that and it has a 10" screen. So I guess it would be a waste for me even if I am a heavy netflix streaming user.

I should add that i watch almost no television.
    01-11-12 02:36 PM
    What's wrong with wanting those things if they'll be beneficial to the user, though? I personally would LOVE a Kindle app because I like reading and I have a lot of Kindle content. Why is that wrong??
    You need to read between my lines....in answer to your question, there is absolutely nothing wrong with wanting these apps; what is wrong is the obssessive and vitriolic BS emanating from the pie holes of those who engage in trollery, who use the abscence of these apps as justification to either bash the PB outright and comparing it to the iPad or some 'rrhoid device, or they start threads with, "I really like the PB, or convince me I'm not making a mistake, or...., but it doesn't have blah, blah, blahh app, and that's a deal breaker.

There are several medical apps I would love to have on my PB that I have on my iPhones, but the abscence of these apps, or the likelihood they may never be developed for the PB does not bother me in the least.

I love reading as well, and I like my Kobo app; and if there is an extensive library that I want to access that Kobo does not have, then buying a Kindle reader is cheap enough if I must have Amazon access.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-11-12 at 02:39 PM.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    01-11-12 02:36 PM
    I was intrigued with the fascination of getting Netflix on the Playbook by our friends across the pond and as an earlier poster said it launched here in the UK at the start of this week . I took a look at it and was extremely underwhelmed by the selection , old films , old tv series , haven't bothered with the free trial . It has reduced the streaming cost of Lovefilms (owned by Amazon) so i've taken a trial of that . I'll stick to iPlayer / 4OD for watching my TV programmes on line .
    01-11-12 02:48 PM
    different yes, narrower no. As for shortcoming that's a matter of personal opinion. Anything missing on a tablet could be defined as a shortcoming (and sadly usually is).

1.)The point is that it's not enough of a shortcoming to justify the ridiculous amount of posts (on this forum alone from what I've seen) demanding it as a "must have do or die deal breaker", which of course is ludicrous when you factor in just how useful it really is to the average user. Netflix is only seeing this much attention because it's dirt cheap. That's it.

2.) There's practically nothing for current content. It's not even an above average service.

3.) If your local cable provider offered you their movies/TV on demand service, which is normally quite expensive, for this price you would not even hear about Netflix, and that's the biggest nail in the coffin of any argument that Netflix is good. I'm going to summarize by saying this - Netflix is only semi-popular because there are a lot of people who won't dust the cobwebs off their wallet / purse and would rather decades old movies/TV for $8/month than pay more for current content.
    1.) People are entitled. There are tons of much More ridiculous threads threads. Like this one, to be more specific.

2.) Just not true. I find tons of stuff. They have a great Foreign Film, selection, the First Season of AMC's the The Walking Dead and tons of other stuff.

3.) No cobwebs on my wallet and I still like e service. No need to insult people who feel differently from you.
    01-11-12 02:59 PM
    I am a Netflix subscriber and have maybe watched 4 movies in the past 6 months. Only reason I still have it is that I do have access to all the kids movies for my young ones to keep them happy. No longer have kids asking to buy them dvd's when they see them at Walmart or when we go shopping, those usually cost me a lot more than $8/month. Other than that, I would cancel it as we don't even use it to watch movies, only kids shows. I'll give it a couple more month before I decide to cancel for good.
    01-11-12 03:00 PM
    what is wrong is the obssessive and vitriolic BS emanating from the pie holes of those who engage in trollery, who use the abscence of these apps as justification to either bash the PB outright and comparing it to the iPad or some 'rrhoid device, or they start threads with, "I really like the PB, or convince me I'm not making a mistake, or...., but it doesn't have blah, blah, blahh app, and that's a deal breaker.
    Hey I use an ANDROID device, tyvm . Actually, your "I really like the PB, convince me I'm not making a mistake, etc" lines sounded like me when I was deciding on trading my Kindle Fire for a PB. Netflix and Kindle are indeed very big deals to me. But, so were things I was missing from my Fire, like an awesome office suite, rear and ffc, gps, etc. The way you paint the picture of "trolls" to me sounds like people who want a PB user's opinion about things they might not have considered the PB can offer that would make up for those one or two "deal breaker" apps being unavailable.
    01-11-12 03:01 PM
    I would NEVER watch NetFlix so I'm glad their icon isn't cluttering up my PB screen!
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-11-12 04:12 PM
    1.) People are entitled. There are tons of much More ridiculous threads threads. Like this one, to be more specific.
    funny stuff

3.) No cobwebs on my wallet and I still like e service. No need to insult people who feel differently from you.
    But then again I can take a joke
    01-11-12 04:15 PM
    In the amount of time it takes me to look for a tv show in the right format, download it, wait for my pb to connect to my pc, transfer it, I would have finished a 20minute sitcom streaming though netflix. The choices aren't always what I'm looking for, but I'm surprised at some of the documentaries, foreign films, shows, etc., that I end up enjoying.

At $7.99/mo, working on 5 different devices in our household, netflix works for my family. Because of that, I don't 'need' it on the pb, but it would look better on the pb's screen than some of the other devices.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-11-12 04:24 PM
    Its simple for me...I work a boring office job with tons of down time (and a computer that blocks anything fun on the internet)...watching Netflix on a 4.3" screen vs a 7" screen is a no brainer!

sent from my super powered sgs2
    01-11-12 04:24 PM
102 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD