Definitly! Jim had too much on the go, trying to buy an NHL franchise and all. Mike, well.... I got nothin'. lol
    Well... They were totally spreading to thin. Remember that really stupid talk of a blackberry tv? I mean, like  was going to be able to compete with apple on that... Playbook was delayed, blackberry phone hardware was 5 years behind the competition and they were going to launch another new device & platform?!?!
    08-20-12 07:24 PM
    Well... They were totally spreading to thin. Remember that really stupid talk of a blackberry tv? I mean, like  was going to be able to compete with apple on that... Playbook was delayed, blackberry phone hardware was 5 years behind the competition and they were going to launch another new device & platform?!?!
    If you believed it. Cyclone rumors were overblown.
    08-20-12 07:33 PM
    Apple users have that smug look on their face when they talk about apple products. I dislike that. I say put a L tattoo on all their foreheads.
    Discuss
    You should probably stop this sort of generalization, "even" in this forum
    It will be interpreted as a flip side of the unfounded inferiority complex you have in your mind toward anything Apple.
    I am an admirer of Apple products and have many of their products, but ultimately, I go by what's best for my purpose.
    Do you want a proof?
    I am using the 9900 as my daily driver over my iPhone 4s
    Last edited by xanadome; 08-20-12 at 08:22 PM.
    08-20-12 08:14 PM
    Yeaaaaaah that's not going to happen. I'll keep marching to the beat of my own drum. I can care less what Apple users in general are thinking when they read something I put out there. If IT bothers them. Go get therapy. No need to sweat the small stuff.

P.S. I'd buy something Apple if I absolutely had to. Until then.......
    08-20-12 08:24 PM
    I'm pretty sure that there are more business professionals using the iPad. You may want to try a different angle.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    Ehh. Thats a fair argument Marty. The truth is there's like 50:1 ipads to pb ratio (if not more). Most of those people have jobs so in that aspect I guess your correct, even though everyone with a job is not a business professional.

Even further supporting your argument 5:10 professionals I work with all have a iphone as their personal phone. They refer to their bb as a paper weight. In my case I haven't had to pay for a phone or bill in 10 years, and I just can't justify buying my own phone when the company gives me a phone with unlimited everything.

The only place bb trumps apple is in the corporate sector. I think it's safe to say most corporations distribute bb and operate on bes. I have seen a few who give out iphone and in this case internal it would create an app to gain access to corporate emails. Never in banking, but you often see this in insurance and health where security is less stringent.
    08-20-12 08:42 PM
    You should probably stop this sort of generalization, "even" in this forum
    It will be interpreted as a flip side of the unfounded inferiority complex you have in your mind toward anything Apple.
    I am an admirer of Apple products and have many of their products, but ultimately, I go by what's best for my purpose.
    Do you want a proof?
    I am using the 9900 as my daily driver over my iPhone 4s
    That's interesting. Usually the number 1 favorite apple product by most fanboys is the iphone. Why or why do you prefer your 9900 over IP4S?
    08-20-12 08:47 PM
    That's okay when you're at home. But I bought my PB to take it travelling and so look for some kind of laptop funcitonality. And it delivers, sort of (skype, where are you?). I just wish it did so with fewer glitches. Improvements happen, but gawd they are long in coming and always come up short. Really, my main beef vs. an ipad (which I don't own but I do have an ipod) is that the latter 'just works', and when you're travelling that counts for a lot. No, make that A LOT. No glitches that send you running to the net for help to unravel. No lengthy reboots to get the email back on track. All the apps you need. So I travel with both, and use the PB when it can do the job, and haul out the ipod when the PB isn't up to the task for whatever reason.
    You will always carry multiple devices if you continue your same train of thought that a tablet should replace a laptop. In the long run you will be saddly disappointed and you will continue to carry all three through airport security.

Much like myself actually except I know I need my laptop and I always bring the playbook, for some quick work spot checking and media. When it's time to actually tcb the lappy comes out.
    08-20-12 08:58 PM
    That's interesting. Usually the number 1 favorite apple product by most fanboys is the iphone. Why or why do you prefer your 9900 over IP4S?
    I use the 9900 as a daily driver and the IP4s as a supplement. It was not so until a couple of summers ago when I sold IP3s prematurely and had to buy something till I could get my hands on IP4. I never even considered a BB (or anything other than the iPhone) before but I picked up a 9700 as a cheap stopgap.
    I found it interesting and liked the form factor, that fit perfectly in my palm. I did not care much about the keyboard as a typing machine (I type better on my iPhone, or became proficient in using the touch screen). I did not care much about the LED either as I felt it bothersome to acknowledge emails to turn it off (it is now turned off completely).
    But I found the 9700 very useful mainly as a quick email reader. I can quickly access the unified inbox of various communications just by pressing "M" key. iPhone displays IMAP and filtered files. While it is very good on desktop/laptop, for quick access on mobile device, just accessing an unified inbox suffices. There are other shortcuts I like. Shortcuts are not the only ones that I was attracted to BB but one-hand operation, the convenience in car, quick switch to speaker phone etc are convenient. iPhone's UI is excellent but for simple access to certain basic functions, it requires a few extra steps to get to the point. For anything that requires some elaborate digging in or fast and clear display such as browsing, Google searching, mapping or navigation etc, I use iPhone.
    As you said, iPhone was my default/obligatory purchase anytime an update is launched. But I found the wisdom of using other device's features. And BB is no match to iPhone in terms of displaying anything internet intensive or GPS (map) etc. Also, BB's display of email attachment is terrible (and the truncated email problem too), while iPhone displays any attachment beautifully in clear and crisp font etc in larger screen, which is needed in my line of biz.
    So, when I anticipate that I will be away from my desktop/laptop/wifi, I bring the IP4s too.
    I do not like to bring 2 devices if I do not have to, but it's not a big deal. I certainly wish either BB or IP takes a cue from each other and come up with a one perfect device. Could BB10 be so?
    If so, I have absolutely no hesitation in grabbing it fast.
    I have no emotional investment in any specific brand of device and I am glad I can take advantage of strong points of both devices. To each of its own.
    Last edited by xanadome; 08-20-12 at 10:24 PM.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 10:21 PM
    For me, the differences are that Ipad users are not waiting to use software on their devices while Playbook users only wait and wait and wait. The other difference is that Ipad users are forced to use iTunes while Playbook users live in the world of drag and drop. And lastly Ipad users live in the here and now while Playbook users constantly live on promises of something better in the future.

This is not to say that I prefer the IPad over the Playbook. I don't. But if I am honest with myself, it's my IPad that is used at work as the apps that I use and need are actually available on it. My Playbook is used for media as I prefer the simplicity of getting movies and music onto the device. And the Playbook, by far, is superior in terms of audio quality. The iPad may has not even have speakers considering how poor it is. But it all comes down to apps. The Playbook would easily be my sole tablet if there was software for it, but as it is, software isn't available for it.

And so that's how I see the state of things. IPad users do. Playbook users want to do.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-20-12 11:16 PM
    Great post, I have had both also (still have my ipad2) I sold my Playbook for that very reason, no app support. I like the OS on the Playbook way more, and the speakers were killer. But it came down to what I could use for what I needed and what I wished I could use!
    Remian8985 likes this.
    08-21-12 12:10 AM
    Not if you bought a Playbook when they first came out!
    This thread is now. Not when Playbooks were launched.
    08-21-12 05:51 AM
    You will always carry multiple devices if you continue your same train of thought that a tablet should replace a laptop. In the long run you will be saddly disappointed and you will continue to carry all three through airport security.

Much like myself actually except I know I need my laptop and I always bring the playbook, for some quick work spot checking and media. When it's time to actually tcb the lappy comes out.
    I can't justify taking a laptop when travelling (I travel light). But I can keep my ipod touch on my belt and the PB stays in the daypack (while travelling) and airport security doesn't bother about it. Anyway, the whole point of portable devices is to reduce what you travel with. The PB would, and should have, fit the bill but for a variety of limitations and glitches that really should have been dealt with by now. As I said in a different forum, so close but yet so far for Rim. By the time (if) BB10 is out and everything working well (lol), the hardware will be getting a little dated.

Yeah, my boo-boo for buying something that wasn't ready, but Rim's for missing its biggest opportunity of the past year. Like Brando in On the Waterfront, it coulda bin a contenda.
    08-21-12 10:18 AM
    I noticed there are some discernible differences between iPAD users and Playbook users.

Playbook users tend to be business professionals. While iPAD users seem to be artist or musicians and food services people. Why is it that hippsters and yuppies gravitate to Apple like flys to s#**. What is it about PB and Android users that make them soo dissident?
    This false, most likely due to to much time spent here and too much exposure to Apple commercials.

Take a walk down Wall Street, Midtown Manhattan, Central Park at 59th street etc, around lunch time. You will see suits with their ipads.

One of the things people fail to realize is these "suits" tend to have multiple Mac computers at home.

Sorry, but the "suit" wearing faction of the world love ipads. You may like to believe that it's "food service" people, but you're only kidding yourself.
    08-21-12 05:57 PM
    Thousands of apps. and not a half baked product.
    Even if the Playbook was target to "professional" most user now are forced to just use it for media consumption.
    iPad you can almost do anything vs playbook you can almost do nothing.
    Last edited by el31415; 08-21-12 at 11:56 PM.
    08-21-12 11:49 PM
    This false, most likely due to to much time spent here and too much exposure to Apple commercials.

Take a walk down Wall Street, Midtown Manhattan, Central Park at 59th street etc, around lunch time. You will see suits with their ipads.

One of the things people fail to realize is these "suits" tend to have multiple Mac computers at home.

Sorry, but the "suit" wearing faction of the world love ipads. You may like to believe that it's "food service" people, but you're only kidding yourself.
    Tushay... You hit a couple key points. Apple understands its core market and apple often portrays the stereotypical yuppie hipster in its commercial- but spending too much time watching commercials or on CB haven't given me my stereotypical perspective. It's spending time in the world that has given me this out look. Yeah all throughout the city and on the train all you see is iPad, and ereaders. It's so rare to see a pb. When I do I go spark a conversation with the person, and basically ask them why they didn't get the iPad?

As I mentioned iPad destroys the pb in sales and there are far more ipads out there than pb's. It's like pc to mac. Just no challenge in terms of numbers of owners. I think this fact confuses most and makes this tread topic a bit misleading. Suits often have the additional resources to buy what they want. I bought my iPad almost a whole year before I picked up the pb. I got bored really quickly and I hated looking to my left and right and seeing all the sheep with the same device as me. Back when the kids were buying blackberry, you would see the same thing. I would always wonder why a kid would want a bb.- but it was because bb name is presegious and exclusive. It used to mean you were a business professional.

I can tell ur a fanboy, but your right in this point. Martymcfly made me realize in a previous post that this thread topic is misangled When talking about ipads and pb. This angle would be more true with bb to iphones. Ipads and pb are consumer items companies are not distributing them to their staff. Therefore you have to go off pure consumer sales numbers. I would even argue that ipads are more often distributed by companies and used as pos systems than pb's.- good take all around SinSin
    08-22-12 06:07 AM
    Thousands of apps. and not a half baked product.
    Even if the Playbook was target to "professional" most user now are forced to just use it for media consumption.
    iPad you can almost do anything vs playbook you can almost do nothing.
    I have heard this take several times. It's all about the apps for some. An app is an app as an application is an application, to me.

If all devices had the same apps this would be a moot point. Since they don't this is where most fanboys lay their claim to superiority. I can't say I don't get that. That's why us pc's look down on the Mac community because we have all the software and servers in this arena. I only challenge you to think outside the box more and find additional reasons to like or dislike a device otherthan apps. How's itunes treating ya? How's ur battery life? Do you miss flash on the Web? Do you like the size and feel?

As for me, I love the pb, although I hate the battery life, I hate it takes 4 minutes to reboot (longer than my win 8 pc). I hate that it takes 6 hours to charge. I'm also missing some key apps that I realized I need (some of which ios or droid doesn't have either).
    08-22-12 06:22 AM
    Great post, I have had both also (still have my ipad2) I sold my Playbook for that very reason, no app support. I like the OS on the Playbook way more, and the speakers were killer. But it came down to what I could use for what I needed and what I wished I could use!
    Playbook OS is superior. If PB had all the same apps there would be no challenge as to which device is best. It would truly come down to the device differences at that point and I think pb would stand a pretty good chance.
    08-22-12 06:27 AM
    For me, the differences are that Ipad users are not waiting to use software on their devices while Playbook users only wait and wait and wait. The other difference is that Ipad users are forced to use iTunes while Playbook users live in the world of drag and drop. And lastly Ipad users live in the here and now while Playbook users constantly live on promises of something better in the future.

This is not to say that I prefer the IPad over the Playbook. I don't. But if I am honest with myself, it's my IPad that is used at work as the apps that I use and need are actually available on it. My Playbook is used for media as I prefer the simplicity of getting movies and music onto the device. And the Playbook, by far, is superior in terms of audio quality. The iPad may has not even have speakers considering how poor it is. But it all comes down to apps. The Playbook would easily be my sole tablet if there was software for it, but as it is, software isn't available for it.

And so that's how I see the state of things. IPad users do. Playbook users want to do.
    That's not entirely true. When iphone first cameout they restricted you from sending picture mail, and they disabled the bt (in fear u may share something with a friend without itunes knowing) no flash on the Web (to save battery life), no multitasking (again to protect the innocent and unknowing). You just accept your limitations and live in that world so you don't even realize hour being restricted. That's why I say apple products are perfect for the innocent (or less tech savvy consumer).
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    08-22-12 06:32 AM
    The biggest difference I have noticed is that Apple owners are confident in their purchases and don't have to make threads comparing themselves to Android/Blackberry owners.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    Ignorance is bliss. Thanks for reading our forums, I truly feel the adversity is a must have on CB. The Fanboys make this all worth while for me.
    Remian8985 likes this.
    08-22-12 06:44 AM
    There are many, including myself, who own both devices. The decision for purchase was made based on my view to the value of the device. Not sure what OP's trying to get at but I don't see much difference between iPad users and PB users. If you want to compare fanboys of each, that's an entirely different topic.
    wylderubicon and hpjrt like this.
    08-22-12 07:25 AM
    There are many, including myself, who own both devices. The decision for purchase was made based on my view to the value of the device. Not sure what OP's trying to get at but I don't see much difference between iPad users and PB users. If you want to compare fanboys of each, that's an entirely different topic.
    Sounds like you know exactly what Im getting at. The Fanboys of each is an interesting demographic variance. Its like looking at Prius owners vs Pickup truck owners. Some like you and I (especially on here) own both and there in a rare category. But most prefer one or the other, like some people are mac and some are pc.
    08-22-12 09:59 AM
    Sounds like you know exactly what Im getting at. The Fanboys of each is an interesting demographic variance. Its like looking at Prius owners vs Pickup truck owners. Some like you and I (especially on here) own both and there in a rare category. But most prefer one or the other, like some people are mac and some are pc.
    I would say the biggest difference dividing those two groups is the size of the device (besides the price). 7" is definitely more portable than 10" device, and that is the biggest reason I have both.

This is why the new Nexus 7" tablet is a big threat to PB (it's even more portable, very easy to hold in one hand) and the rumored smaller iPad.
    08-22-12 10:39 AM
    Just so I can get the right context here, are we saying that owning a device makes you a fanboy of that device? I see that word tossed around a lot these days, usually interchangeable with the word "owner" or "user".
    08-22-12 11:04 AM
    We've got a half-dozen iPads at work. One guy uses his fairly regularly, the others mostly needed one for the hype and hardly utilize them. Not a SINGLE person asked about alternative products. Most of the requests came at the height of the iPad2 release hype. I think many were just feeling like they were missing out on something. The usual excuse was "such and such client" just went to "iPad format" for all of their meeting notes and agendas so I need one now. With a little digging, it turns out that this "iPad format" was just PDFs...
    hpjrt likes this.
    08-22-12 11:04 AM
    I would say the biggest difference dividing those two groups is the size of the device (besides the price). 7" is definitely more portable than 10" device, and that is the biggest reason I have both.

This is why the new Nexus 7" tablet is a big threat to PB (it's even more portable, very easy to hold in one hand) and the rumored smaller iPad.
    Hmm. You also bring up some other questions however. I think the PB is the ideal size and this is certainly one of my key considerations in saying, PB is the best tablet. If apple had released the ipad and ipad mini at the same time. Which one would be more popular? - Either way true fanboys get both.
    Im all over the ipad mini when it comes out. I wish PB had the all metal edges like the bold 9930 or the new ipad mini.

All in all its a different take on the subject. I think you may be right in some aspects. I only slightly question this theory because there are plenty other 7" droid tablets available. If your biggest reason for selecting the pb was size, why not select any number of the Droid 7" offerings?

If ipad mini and PB had came out at the same time I think Apple would win, but PB would be much more popular than it is now. I think, Apple users have to kinda look around at their peers and marketing to see whats acceptable for a device. Since the ipad wasent small, I think they just automatically said it wasent acceptable. If there was an ipad mini floating around with commercials and such they would probably look at other smaller tablets like pb in a whole new light.- Remember most people think the first mp3 player was an ipod... You have to give Apple credit where its due.
    08-22-12 11:13 AM
123 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD