Just so I can get the right context here, are we saying that owning a device makes you a fanboy of that device? I see that word tossed around a lot these days, usually interchangeable with the word "owner" or "user".
    IDK Mike. Im not on FB and this is my first time posting here so im just not to hip on all the lingo yet. I just learned what flamebait and troll meant 2 days ago.

I always thought Fanboy is a Apple lover. Not someone who just owns a apple device here and there like myself. But someone who will truley fight till the end for Apple and all they stand for. The Mac passionate if you will...
    08-22-12 11:16 AM
    We've got a half-dozen iPads at work. One guy uses his fairly regularly, the others mostly needed one for the hype and hardly utilize them. Not a SINGLE person asked about alternative products. Most of the requests came at the height of the iPad2 release hype. I think many were just feeling like they were missing out on something. The usual excuse was "such and such client" just went to "iPad format" for all of their meeting notes and agendas so I need one now. With a little digging, it turns out that this "iPad format" was just PDFs...
    I have seen this allot too. We actually rolled out a dozen for a self help kiosk purpose. In that case we actually evaluated a number of products from Tatung, Samsung Series 7 (kept a demo unit for me self- hehe), IPAD, Elo/Laptop, etc... In the long run we chose the ipdad because there were so many manufacturers who created modular hardware that allowed us to secure and mount the equipment safely at a client site. The other mounting options were shotty, like 3m had an adhesive solution, but there was nothing from stopping someone from ripping it off the wall.
    08-22-12 11:22 AM
    It's the user experience that is the difference for many people. With the iPad, if it couldn't charge, I could take it to one of three Apple Stores within 15 miles.
    nova_8 likes this.
    08-22-12 11:24 AM
    IDK Mike. Im not on FB and this is my first time posting here so im just not to hip on all the lingo yet. I just learned what flamebait and troll meant 2 days ago.

I always thought Fanboy is a Apple lover. Not someone who just owns a apple device here and there like myself. But someone who will truley fight till the end for Apple and all they stand for. The Mac passionate if you will...
    So fanboy is an apple only term then? Just trying to understand your usage of the word. For not knowing what a fanboy is, you certainly are making a lot of claims about them.
    08-22-12 11:42 AM
    So fanboy is an apple only term then? Just trying to understand your usage of the word. For not knowing what a fanboy is, you certainly are making a lot of claims about them.
    HAHA. Mike all your comments are so sarcastic and off topic, I love it. I actually thought you generally were confused about the use of the word Fanboy. I have heard it being used in so many different ways on here that to specify sometimes I say apple fanboy.

Quick question: What do you call someone who is a die hard RIM fan? Im not being sarcastic, I have heard a few names , but just wanted your take on the subject in case you have any insight on this matter.
    08-22-12 12:08 PM
    It's the user experience that is the difference for many people. With the iPad, if it couldn't charge, I could take it to one of three Apple Stores within 15 miles.
    That is one good thing amongst others. You can take your broken devices to get them looked at by any number of the mac genius's... Another reason why Apple is ideal for the non tech savvy consumer.
    08-22-12 12:11 PM
    Any and all platforms have fanboys the difference is there are different slang words associated with each device.

isheep
    Rhoidbot
    Rimbecile

And on and on.

As for owners some just prefer what they prefer.
    08-22-12 12:14 PM
    HAHA. Mike all your comments are so sarcastic and off topic, I love it. I actually thought you generally were confused about the use of the word Fanboy. I have heard it being used in so many different ways on here that to specify sometimes I say apple fanboy.

Quick question: What do you call someone who is a die hard RIM fan? Im not being sarcastic, I have heard a few names , but just wanted your take on the subject in case you have any insight on this matter.
    Sorry if you found that sarcastic, I was genuinely confused about your usage of the word. I know understand what you think a fanboy is, and I basically agree with you.

I would call a diehard RIM fan a fanboy, just like I would call a diehard Apple fan a fanboy, diehard windows fan a fanboy and diehard android fan a fanboy.

The reason I brought this up is because I feel like our definitions of "diehard" are different in this case.

You sometimes seem to be tossing the word "fanboy" at anyone who presents even a shred of evidence that would make one platform (apple in your case) better than another platform.

If I prefer Playbook to iPad and give 50 legit reasons (not imaginary) why Playbook is better, I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. But if I gave 5 outlandish reasons (eg. iPads are for yuppies, Playbook smells better, lo-res PB screen allows crisper photos) then I would consider myself a fanboy.

I think the other moniker of a fanboy would be constantly trying to rebut people's personal choices. If I claim that I like iPad better because the screen is nicer for viewing photos on, then someone tells me that's a stupid reason and lists a bunch of other flaws with the iPad, I would consider them a fanboy of the competing platform (based on what device they're arguing for).

Hope that clears things up a bit.
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-22-12 12:27 PM
    Sorry if you found that sarcastic, I was genuinely confused about your usage of the word. I know understand what you think a fanboy is, and I basically agree with you.

I would call a diehard RIM fan a fanboy, just like I would call a diehard Apple fan a fanboy, diehard windows fan a fanboy and diehard android fan a fanboy.

The reason I brought this up is because I feel like our definitions of "diehard" are different in this case.

You sometimes seem to be tossing the word "fanboy" at anyone who presents even a shred of evidence that would make one platform (apple in your case) better than another platform.

If I prefer Playbook to iPad and give 50 legit reasons (not imaginary) why Playbook is better, I wouldn't consider myself a fanboy. But if I gave 5 outlandish reasons (eg. iPads are for yuppies, Playbook smells better, lo-res PB screen allows crisper photos) then I would consider myself a fanboy.

I think the other moniker of a fanboy would be constantly trying to rebut people's personal choices. If I claim that I like iPad better because the screen is nicer for viewing photos on, then someone tells me that's a stupid reason and lists a bunch of other flaws with the iPad, I would consider them a fanboy of the competing platform (based on what device they're arguing for).

Hope that clears things up a bit.
    Hey wait a minute... Your not just some Apple Die hard trying to get all us RIM Die hards to stop calling you and all your friends Fanboys are ya? If so thats brilliant cause I almost feel compelled to stop calling Apple Lovers Fanboys, and follow your belief system which is that were all Fanboys you just interchange the Company and specify it when using it. RIM Fanboy, Apple Fanboy, etc...

As for Computing I am a PC not a Microsoft Fanboy I kinda resent that statement...
    08-22-12 12:40 PM
    Hey wait a minute... Your not just some Apple Die hard trying to get all us RIM Die hards to stop calling you and all your friends Fanboys are ya? If so thats brilliant cause I almost feel compelled to stop calling Apple Lovers Fanboys, and follow your belief system which is that were all Fanboys you just interchange the Company and specify it when using it. RIM Fanboy, Apple Fanboy, etc...

As for Computing I am a PC not a Microsoft Fanboy I kinda resent that statement...
    I'm not quite sure I get where you're going with this. Was my original assumption correct, that in your vocabulary, you only associate the term "fanboy" with Apple fans exclusively?

You're "I am a PC" statement is quite humorous considering it was an Apple marketing term, lol.
    08-22-12 12:52 PM
    I'm not quite sure I get where you're going with this. Was my original assumption correct, that in your vocabulary, you only associate the term "fanboy" with Apple fans exclusively?

You're "I am a PC" statement is quite humorous considering it was an Apple marketing term, lol.
    Um.. Yes, as I explained earlier the formal meaning of Fanboy is apple fanatic.- I dont think its just my vocabulary I think its a pretty widely practiced term to refer to apple fanatics. I think people kinda borrowed it from the Star Wars Fanboy thing...

My point in the earlier post was I dont think Apple Fans like being called Fanboys. I think they wish the term would go away.- Are you a Fanboy (Apple Fanatic)?

I heard some of the RIM Fanatic terms, but none of them are as catchy as Fanboy.

Windows fanatics love that term Im a PC. If apple gave it to Microsoft, all I can say is thanks. Its the first decent marketing I ever seen from MS (thanks to apple according to mike007). When I see all those commercials with people doing extraordinary things (like building space shuttles etc...) and they say "im a PC" it brings a tear to my eye

But yeah, I embrace being called "PC". Hopefully Fanboys will learn to embrace their title too.
    08-22-12 03:17 PM
    Um.. Yes, as I explained earlier the formal meaning of Fanboy is apple fanatic.-
    LOL, and who is the authority that decided this? Do you consider yourself the protectorate of internet lingo? Here's the wikipedia article relating to "fanboy". Guess who's opinion is more valid: Fan (person) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Are you a Fanboy (Apple Fanatic)?
    Haha, if you weren't so new around here I think you'd probably know the answer to that one already. Take a look at my past posts, judge for yourself if you're that interested.

Its the first decent marketing I ever seen from MS (thanks to apple according to mike007).
    No, not according to me, according to fact.
    Get a Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-22-12 03:36 PM
    HAHA, I really like you Mike. We need more like you on here. I really think your a Fanboy as I mentioned. I dont care to look up your history but I look forward to reading your takes on various current topics on the forums. In fact I like Fanboys because they actually care. A regular apple user, or one who doesn't care to dispute their tech choices is so boring. At least Fanboys are passionate and have a opinion. Do you think Fanboys resent being called a Fanboy?

Do you know of any Apple communities where similar discussions occur? Just asking cause I would love to check some out and just see whats its like. I doubt its like CB but im willing to check it out if its moderately as entertaining as CB. This is just a great community here, cant say enough about it.

I swear, you didnt have to look up the Im a PC campaign origins. I just thought it was a great commercial campaign from microsoft, and they need more like it. Maybe Apple will throw them another bone and help them out with the next slogan.- To the Cloud
    08-22-12 04:09 PM
    That apple commercial by the way shows you how apple views its self and its community. It also shows you how Apple views the PC community. This was a great example MikeGet a Mac - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thats what this post is all about. Look at the difference in appearance between the PC (Stiff Suit on the left) and the Mac (Yuppie Hipster to the right). What are the differences between the two groups? Was it created from the marketing and we had no choice in which group we belonged to?
    08-22-12 04:15 PM
    One difference between Ipad and Playbook Owners is the playbook owner who bought the playbook from last October till now has a couple hundred dollars left in his/her pocket. Another difference is they will complain about different things.
    Both products have there place. Both have strengths and weaknesses. I'm happy with my choice.
    Last edited by Hgouck; 08-22-12 at 04:33 PM.
    kdeckels likes this.
    08-22-12 04:27 PM
    HAHA, I really like you Mike. We need more like you on here. I really think your a Fanboy as I mentioned. I dont care to look up your history but I look forward to reading your takes on various current topics on the forums. In fact I like Fanboys because they actually care. A regular apple user, or one who doesn't care to dispute their tech choices is so boring. At least Fanboys are passionate and have a opinion. Do you think Fanboys resent being called a Fanboy?

Do you know of any Apple communities where similar discussions occur? Just asking cause I would love to check some out and just see whats its like. I doubt its like CB but im willing to check it out if its moderately as entertaining as CB. This is just a great community here, cant say enough about it.

I swear, you didnt have to look up the Im a PC campaign origins. I just thought it was a great commercial campaign from microsoft, and they need more like it. Maybe Apple will throw them another bone and help them out with the next slogan.- To the Cloud
    Quite frankly, I could care less what you believe I am. I'd ask that you stop calling me and others around here fanboys. It is considered a derogatory term.
    08-22-12 04:33 PM
    Quite frankly, I could care less what you believe I am. I'd ask that you stop calling me and others around here fanboys. It is considered a derogatory term.
    WOW! It looks like I was right about where you stand. My apologies for calling you a Fanboy. Some people embrace that name and find happiness in discussing their tech with other tech heads. This should be the one thing we can discuss and not fight about. This is not religion or politics were just talking about which mobile products we like.

I respect your wishes and I wont ever call you a Fanboy. As for everybody else, I don't know that you speak for all CrackBerry members, so I will take that on a case by case basis.

Lighten up mike
    08-23-12 07:05 AM
    It's like a Magic trick.. You don't see any difference between the two.. But once you see their device.. It's hard to not see the difference then..
    08-23-12 08:09 AM
    :While there are a majority of factors which are rational and are the main reason why I chose Blackberry for phone and tablet, I'm the type of guy who would probably inconscously reject BlackBerry if they were the "in" thing right now in an Apple-religious fashion. I really despise the sectarist aspect of Apple hard-core fans.

(sorry for my english)
    BBMessiah likes this.
    08-23-12 08:40 AM
    :While there are a majority of factors which are rational and are the main reason why I chose Blackberry for phone and tablet, I'm the type of guy who would probably inconscously reject BlackBerry if they were the "in" thing right now in an Apple-religious fashion. I really despise the sectarist aspect of Apple hard-core fans.

(sorry for my english)
    The main reason I choose PB is quality and $ (fire sale).
    I would have never bought it at full retail price.
    08-23-12 11:19 PM
    But seriously, am I wrong here guys? Is there not a certain demographic for everything? Look at Prius owners vs Hummer owners. I simply want to understand the iPAD & Playbook audience.
    Bought playbook last year because I can't afford any other decent tablet LOL.
    May be couple of years ago, the "corporate" people used to buy it. But now it's all poor guys like me or brainwashed people who think playbook is good (compared to others).
    07-23-13 04:51 PM
    I am also an owner of the PlayBook and iPad mini. I bought the PB the week it was released hoping the small form factor and battery life would allow me to lower my need for a laptop for 80% of my daily work while on the road. I am also the type that wanted my phone and tablet to be from the same vendor for consistency. After 2 years of trying to make the PB achieve my 80% goal and the lack of real business apps (for my needs), I decided to try out the iPhone 5 and iPad mini combo. iOS has ALL the apps that I need / want for my daily use. So my 80% goal with this combo was reached witin 3 months of use / travels.

The PB (for my needs) is simply not a Business Platform. I still use it daily at the office as an alarm clock, internet radio, and to browse the forums. If the PB had the app support I needed then I probably would never have switched.

I believe that users select a platform for several reasons:
    Price
    App availability that meets their needs
    Support
    Perceived "cool factor" - because every one has it.

Many hospitals are using either iPads or Windows tablets to provide their services, why?
    Because there is an APP for that.
    FF22 likes this.
    07-24-13 08:36 AM
    iPad users can upgrade their devices to the current version of the iOS operating systems.
    PlayBook users got nothing.

That's one major difference.
    FF22 and cmdr_dan like this.
    07-24-13 08:49 AM
123 ... 345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD