About 3 inches.
    08-20-12 03:01 PM
    Bish, Im sorry to hear you couldnt get the device you really want. I think you will be a little dissapointed however with the Playbook as a home device. I understand your llimitations but I probally would have gone with an iPAD. I think its a better device to share with the family than a Playbook.
    Yeah, i spent my last penny on a useless 48 gb (64-16). At the time of buying i thought 16 gb would be too little. So i tried for 32 gb, bt it wasnt available. So i bought the 64 gb. Now i realize that i dont have anything to fill it with. If i fill in movies i dont have a good video player to run it. If i fill in music, i dont have a good music player which can create playlists and support equalizers, etc. Browser is ok, still the experience is not at worth the $299. No interesting apps whatsoever. some of them that i have are all android apps. I wish businesscat2000 would release the brine ios emulator. It might change things big time Next year I'm gonna go for a laptop. So my plan is to sell this to some by fooling him by telling that its a great device . Then use that money for a better laptop. My last hope is not BB10. My last hope is that someone buys my pb.
    nextcity likes this.
    08-20-12 03:08 PM
    It's a "free" country where folks can wear ripped off jeans and choose iPads or Playbooks.
    08-20-12 03:11 PM
    I never expected this thread to turn sour like this...

I'm shocked, I tell ya, SHOCKED!!
    hpjrt and Hawnz like this.
    08-20-12 03:20 PM
    Well I'm not surprised that this thread brought out all the trolls and iPad users (the latter enjoying their 10" devices so much that they spend all their time on a PB site telling us how stupid we are). Is anyone else surprised?

The only thing that surprises me is that the thread hasn't been closed yet.

In my opinion, it's a waste of time to worry about why one person prefers a given device. Use what works for you and don"t feed the trolls.
    08-20-12 03:20 PM
    Well I'm not surprised that this thread brought out all the trolls and iPad users (the latter enjoying their 10" devices so much that they spend all their time on a PB site telling us how stupid we are). Is anyone else surprised?

In my opinion, it's a waste of time to worry about why one person prefers a given device. Use what works for you and don"t feed the trolls.
    Not to nitpick, but this isn't a PB site. It is trivial, but understanding that small point will help people understand that it is possible to be a BB user/fan AND a person who is not smitten with the PB. Way too much angst with regards to trolls (I dislike the term), real and imagined.

Not liking the PB does not make one an enemy of everything RIM.

I completely agree with your point on preferences.
    08-20-12 03:32 PM
    I think it has to do with the marketing too. I see so many iPAD commercials and I think this draws the masses. I never saw any Playbook commercials, so the users who picked on up must have conducted some research elsewhere.
    There were loads of PlayBook commmercials for the first few months after it came out, but at the time key features were missing (e-mail, contacts and calendar), so it was all for naught.
    08-20-12 03:39 PM
    The biggest difference I have noticed is that Apple owners are confident in their purchases and don't have to make threads comparing themselves to Android/Blackberry owners.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    yaytoast and nextcity like this.
    08-20-12 03:43 PM
    Not to nitpick, but this isn't a PB site. It is trivial, but understanding that small point will help people understand that it is possible to be a BB user/fan AND a person who is not smitten with the PB. Way too much angst with regards to trolls (I dislike the term), real and imagined.

Not liking the PB does not make one an enemy of everything RIM.

I completely agree with your point on preferences.
    Actually, this portion of the site is, indeed, dedicated to the Playbook. My error in saying "site" when I meant "forum".

At no point did I suggest that one couldn't be a BB fan/user and not like the PB. I'm not sure why you leveled that at my post.

If you don't like the term "troll", don't use it. I didn't coin the term but I can't deny that there are some who have participated in this thread with the sole purpose of slamming the PB and its users. To me, that defines "troll".

That said, I also can't deny that the entire purpose of this thread was to incite exactly what it did.
    08-20-12 03:46 PM
    Wow, you really took my post as being negative.. Which I didn't intent it to be .. So let me try to clarify

What? Those are the same thing.

Efficient | Define Efficient at Dictionary.com

1: Performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Sounds like 'Simple' to me.

I'm talking about app switching using a single button, 4-fingers swiping to true-multitasking and gestures. One is more simple to learn and execute for the average user and one is more efficient to complete the task. You should be able to figure out which one's which.

This one always makes me laugh. Many PB owners think using their browser is a virtue of sorts. It's not. It's called sour grapes. On some website called Crackberry, I'm constantly reading threads about lack of apps, or threads devoted to porting Android apps, or sideloading Android apps.

Clearly, the iPad user's ability to have it all at their fingertips is a negative.

Not negative or sourgrapes.. A choice. You are forgetting cost here. If I bought an iPad and paid $500 more than what I could get in the playbook then I wouldn't feel happy about my purchase. I'm content of the games and apps that I have for my playbook and it suits me fine. Others may not and.. Wait for it.. That's okay.

ORLY? Tell that to those of us that bought the tablet at its original price point. I got ripped off, all things considered.

And hey, I get to pay much more for apps than comparable iOS/Android apps too!

One can buy a lot of apps with $500

How so? Apple has iCloud and you can synchronize your contacts between your iPhone and iPad. Also, the iPad has iMessage so you can see your text messages on it, or the iPhone.

That sounds pretty much like the Playbook with bridge. Only with BBM, instead of iMessage.

When I talk about bridging.. I'm not talking through wifi.. I'm talking through cellular means. I have one data plan for my bb phone and bridge everything through it (email, contacts, calendar, tasks, internet, etc.)

Aka, 'want as many apps as Apple and Android?'

What is app variety?

Means one doen't necessarily have to have one specific app to get the job done or need that app on their tablet because other devices are available.. Again back to the price point

On Google Play, I can find dozens of apps that do the same thing. On App World, I'm hard pressed to find a similar situation. Does app variety include side-loading? It'd only be variety in a sense if there were native applications and alternatives to the Android ones. But instead, we're sideloading file managers and programs to access remote network folders. We're sideloading Twitter for Pete's sake. Even the YouTube and Facebook apps are better than what the PB offers.

Good for you, I may be one of the few that don't use Facebook or twitter.. And guess what.. a lot of people I know that own an iPad don't use it either. So for some, they consider it important.. Others do not.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 08-20-12 at 04:40 PM.
    08-20-12 03:46 PM
    I always thought that people who had an iPad were sheep who grazed in Apple's toxic pastures while people with a Playbook were old timers who constantly talk about the good old days............Oh ya and Android tablet users won't shut the up about the latest hardware and the super awesome and customizable software.......hold on a second.....the Android user just downloaded an app and got 16 viruses......I love stereotypes.
    08-20-12 03:59 PM
    What? Those are the same thing.

Efficient | Define Efficient at Dictionary.com

1: Performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Sounds like 'Simple' to me.

Sorry, but a did want to address that just because something is simple doesn't mean it's efficient.

If I want to build a house. The simple thing to do is to hire a knowledgeable construction worker and pay him to build my house. With one person doing it, this would be simple however, it would take forever to get built.

My alternative would be to hire a contractor with means to several workers at different skills to built the house. This plan is more complex but more efficient because the house would be built much sooner.

I'm sure you can extrapolate my meaning to one-button touch and multitasking.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 08-20-12 at 04:35 PM.
    08-20-12 04:06 PM

Why do you guys wish every thread gets closed down? If these topics dont interest you you can simply choose not to read them. However since you read this im hoping you have a take.

How would you describe the average iPAD user vs PB user?
    08-20-12 04:06 PM

They are both happy.
    08-20-12 04:09 PM
    I always thought that people who had an iPad were sheep who grazed in Apple's toxic pastures while people with a Playbook were old timers who constantly talk about the good old days............Oh ya and Android tablet users won't shut the up about the latest hardware and the super awesome and customizable software.......hold on a second.....the Android user just downloaded an app and got 16 viruses......I love stereotypes.
    This is what most people think too. I dont know what it is about different device user groups, but they all fit their stereo type to a T.
    08-20-12 04:10 PM
    I own both, as well as Android tablets. I know I am not alone in owning both (and Android tablets). As I have said several times on this forum, I use my PlayBook more than the others combined. Why? Because the PlayBook is my only 7" tablet, which is the perfect size for quickly accessing the internet, and it supports Flash. Could I personally get by with just the PlayBook? No. Why? Because I need video Skype, use both Netflix and Hulu Plus while out of the house and when I am away on business (and need the larger screen for optimal viewing), and use a ton of apps that are not available for the Playbook. I also have to admit that when the Ipad mini hits the market, I will most likely purchase...and I bet I end up using my PlayBook far less (but likely still will use it a ton because it supports Flash).
    Last edited by nextcity; 08-20-12 at 04:16 PM.
    BBMessiah and brianatbb like this.
    08-20-12 04:14 PM
    They are both happy.
    I think theres more happy ipad users thanPB users. Reason being, ipad users have an ipad and they dont really care what it does, because they know it could potentially do the same thing as their buddies ipad- for them they just play angry bird and surf the web. PB users are a bit unhappier becuase they want their device to do more than its currently cappable of.

ipad users hopeless
    PB users hopefull.

But ignorance is bliss...
    08-20-12 04:15 PM
    Why do you guys wish every thread gets closed down? If these topics dont interest you you can simply choose not to read them. However since you read this im hoping you have a take.

How did you interpret what I wrote to mean that I "wished" it to be closed? . I merely commented that I was surprised that it hadn't been locked. It really is that simple.

As for my "take" I thought I'd also made that pretty clear as well.
    08-20-12 04:21 PM
    I own both, as well as Android tablets. I know I am not alone in owning both (and Android tablets). As I have said several times on this forum, I use my PlayBook more than the others combined. Why? Because the PlayBook is my only 7" tablet, which is the perfect size for quickly accessing the internet, and it supports Flash. Could I personally get by with just the PlayBook? No. Why? Because I need video Skype, use both Netflix and Hulu Plus while out of the house and when I am away on business (and need the larger screen for optimal viewing), and use a ton of apps that are not available for the Playbook. I also have to admit that when the Ipad mini hits the market, I will most likely purchase...and I bet I end up using my PlayBook far less (but likely still will use it a ton because it supports Flash).
    This is spot on. Were in the same boat I have more than a few options and i still use the PB most. Im also going to pickup the ipad mini. I have the perfect excuse too becuase my ipad 2 is outdated and its too big for the little ones. The wife should belive this... I will probally have to sell the ipad 2 first to really get her approval. hehe
    nextcity likes this.
    08-20-12 04:24 PM
    How did you interpret what I wrote to mean that I "wished" it to be closed? . I merely commented that I was surprised that it hadn't been locked. It really is that simple.

As for my "take" I thought I'd also made that pretty clear as well.
    Ok, so your take is, dont worry about it? or you dont bother worrying about it.- Kinda sounds like you either have never thought about this and dont have a take. Or, you have thought about it and decided to stop thinking about it becuase you didnt want to worry about it. In either event I respect your lack of op (even if its a op to not worry).

When I say "Wish", it doesnt mean you have prayed about it or submitted something to make it happen. I simply mean you along with a few others are quick to jinx and say something will be closed or locked. Im new to CB but i sense they must be closing down threads left and right on here for people like you to keep saying that.
    08-20-12 04:32 PM
    iPad owners = true Hipsters
    Playbook Owners= Posers....

Jk Btw

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 04:40 PM
    I noticed there are some discernible differences between iPAD users and Playbook users.

Playbook users tend to be business professionals. While iPAD users seem to be artist or musicians and food services people. Why is it that hippsters and yuppies gravitate to Apple like flys to s#**. What is it about PB and Android users that make them soo dissident?
    I'm pretty sure that there are more business professionals using the iPad. You may want to try a different angle.

Sent from my New iPad using Tapatalk
    08-20-12 04:44 PM
    Nothing it is just a matter of choice
    08-20-12 04:49 PM
    And I believe (it is my opinion) that prior management was distracted by the tablet market and took their eyes (all 4) off the core BlackBerry market.

Definitly! Jim had too much on the go, trying to buy an NHL franchise and all. Mike, well.... I got nothin'. lol
    08-20-12 05:18 PM
    SDK, I wish we had more memory too. I have a minimum of 3 Apps running at all times on my PB and sometimes i get a bit sluggish on web pages with the checkerboard appering (especially on 2.1)

The one area we disagree in is thinking a tablet should replace your laptop. This to me is a fundemental flaw in thinking. These portable devices should not replace your laptop. They should be used and thought of as the portable extension of your laptop.
    That's okay when you're at home. But I bought my PB to take it travelling and so look for some kind of laptop funcitonality. And it delivers, sort of (skype, where are you?). I just wish it did so with fewer glitches. Improvements happen, but gawd they are long in coming and always come up short. Really, my main beef vs. an ipad (which I don't own but I do have an ipod) is that the latter 'just works', and when you're travelling that counts for a lot. No, make that A LOT. No glitches that send you running to the net for help to unravel. No lengthy reboots to get the email back on track. All the apps you need. So I travel with both, and use the PB when it can do the job, and haul out the ipod when the PB isn't up to the task for whatever reason.
    08-20-12 06:42 PM
123 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD