Playbook users tend to be people who are trying to save money but still want a tablet.

iPad users are just about everyone else, can't really lump them into a category.
    I disagree. If I were trying to save money I would have bought a cheap android device. The same can be said with Apple users. There are more exspensive tablets on the market like the Samasung Series 7 Slate, but Apple users arent rushing to buy that just becuase its exspensive.
    08-20-12 11:00 AM
    SDK, I wish we had more memory too. I have a minimum of 3 Apps running at all times on my PB and sometimes i get a bit sluggish on web pages with the checkerboard appering (especially on 2.1)

The one area we disagree in is thinking a tablet should replace your laptop. This to me is a fundemental flaw in thinking. These portable devices should not replace your laptop. They should be used and thought of as the portable extension of your laptop.
    I think you misunderstood me, I don't expect my tablets to replace my laptop, they are simply an extension of the laptop. But, the marketing/advertising would have the normal consumer believe that this is possible.
    08-20-12 11:10 AM
    Blackberry users: Friendly, often business people but also 'normal' people. Our community is just way better than those Ipad owners. They just show-off with their ipads, while the playbook is way cooler. (On vacationy) i beated them all with Modern Combat !
    bb624 likes this.
    08-20-12 11:20 AM
    08-20-12 11:22 AM
    Brilliant. This sums it up, pic saved thank you Laura
    08-20-12 11:33 AM
    Brilliant. This sums it up, pic saved thank you Laura
    You're welcome.
    08-20-12 11:37 AM
    Jeez, please dont wish closure on threads.

I think this is a interseting topic becuase understanding demographic is key in this industry. I really feel BB should have focused on the corporate sector and should have never made a run for the consumer market. IMO this is why they are in fincial trouble. BB was the leader by Professional Services Companies and could have mkept a significant presence in the market by sticking to a core demographic
    Not wishing. It is what happens around here.
    08-20-12 11:42 AM
    My employer introduced to me BB 5 years ago with a curve. I loved the BB, upgraded my personal cell to BB 3 years ago and a PB at launch. Was never interested in the Iproducts. IMHO the Iproducts are "in" and people follow the crowd. RIM needs to educate consumers with advertising PB and BB phones.
    08-20-12 11:45 AM
    I noticed there are some discernible differences between iPAD users and Playbook users.

Playbook users tend to be business professionals. While iPAD users seem to be artist or musicians and food services people. Why is it that hippsters and yuppies gravitate to Apple like flys to s#**. What is it about PB and Android users that make them soo dissident?

is this based on any kind of facts, or simply your perception/misunderstanding/misguided wish?
    08-20-12 11:57 AM
    Good Question. If you have both (like us). Then your in a completely different demographic in most cases. Most people dont have mutliple competing devices.

Im not trying to start a flame war. I really want to understand what makes a user select one over the other and what type of person that makes them. I know these topics can stir great emotions and honestly I wouldnt be here if they didnt.- But I really mean no harm.

I, like you have both devices and I dont care if someone buys an iPAD, I just want to understand what led them to that decision. The sum of these results can be concatenated into a pool, and that will ultimatly make up the demographic.
    I just wish you would learn to correctly write "iPad" instead of "iPAD". My reason was for selling the Playbook and buying an iPad was simple and one that many people agree with, functionality. Work and/or play, the new iPad wins by a landslide.
    08-20-12 12:01 PM
    I noticed there are some discernible differences between iPAD users and Playbook users.

Playbook users tend to be business professionals. While iPAD users seem to be artist or musicians and food services people. Why is it that hippsters and yuppies gravitate to Apple like flys to s#**. What is it about PB and Android users that make them soo dissident?
    I'm a Mac User & a Web Designer, I'm certainly not a hipster or yuppie.. I think people gravitate to Apple products because they make some good products. People sadly cannot be objective when it comes to these type of things.

Having said that I own a Playbook, and the reason is because I think It's the only tablet that provides near Laptop/Desktop like experience.. I like it better than the iPad for many more reasons..

The OP pretending like the iPad sucks is remarkable to me, I think if you assess things honestly and fairly, the conclusion is simple.. Last time I checked the iPad performs pretty great, It may not be the tablet of my or your choice, but that does not mean It's a bad tablet.. I think there is a reason It's a popular tablet, no marketing in the world can trick users into liking and enjoying a tablet when they use it..
    xanadome and LewLew23 like this.
    08-20-12 12:03 PM
    the ipad is a beautiful device that runs smoothly and operates very well. The playbook is a piece of crap that does nothing but frustrate me. Doing the simplest task on the playbook like using the browser to view websites is a project.
    08-20-12 12:07 PM
    Maybe YOUR PB is a piece of crap, but mine is pretty fricken snazzy!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    08-20-12 12:13 PM
    the ipad is a beautiful device that runs smoothly and operates very well. The playbook is a piece of crap that does nothing but frustrate me. Doing the simplest task on the playbook like using the browser to view websites is a project.
    I think you didn't read the OP. It's about the people that use them not the devices.
    08-20-12 12:49 PM

Based on the OP, and similar threads, I too, noticed discernable differences between iPad and Playbook users.

iPad users go about their day using their device and not caring about other people's choices. Playbook owners spend all their time on Crackberry trying to rationalize their purchase of the inferior device and would do well to read 'The Fox and the Grapes.'

See, I can generalize too.
    mikeo007 and Akuji_ism like this.
    08-20-12 01:00 PM
    I think it has to do with the marketing too. I see so many iPAD commercials and I think this draws the masses. I never saw any Playbook commercials, so the users who picked on up must have conducted some research elsewhere.
    I agree. RIM need more commercials...i see maybe one or two Bold commercials but have yet to see a playbook commercial. This new CEO needs to pull his head out of his ars and start smelling the coffee
    08-20-12 01:17 PM
    They are a bit different.
    I shall not say anything bad about the PB, because I will get crucified on this forum.
    I shall not say anything good about the iPad because I will get crucified on this forum.

You will not get a non biased reply on this here. And rightfully so. This is a BB forum.

but keep this in mind. it has to do with the tablet and nothing with the user. You can't honestly take these post here bashing the ipad users and questioning their IQ and their mental state.

you can probably Google strong features from each device.
    xanadome likes this.
    08-20-12 01:37 PM
    Apple users have that smug look on their face when they talk about apple products. I dislike that. I say put a L tattoo on all their foreheads.
    Discuss
    08-20-12 01:39 PM
    Wow,

I've got 3 PB's in the house now and would never come close to seeing it the way you do. Great browser and everything runs pretty darn smooth for the most part.. My brother-in-laws have the ipad (yes I know I'm the black sheep) and their devices don't run THAT much better than the PB and considering what I paid for them.. there's definitely no comparison.
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 08-20-12 at 04:11 PM.
    nextcity likes this.
    08-20-12 01:43 PM
    Not if you bought a Playbook when they first came out!
    I hear you buddy. When they first came out I was a bb enthusiast but wasn't interested in Playbooks or any tablets.

I was quite fortunate that way because I bought my PB at the lowest.

Would I buy another at the full rrp... yeah !

For me, its great.
    08-20-12 01:48 PM
    the ipad is a beautiful device that runs smoothly and operates very well. The playbook is a piece of crap that does nothing but frustrate me.
    TheScionicMan likes this.
    08-20-12 01:48 PM
    I just wish you would learn to correctly write "iPad" instead of "iPAD". My reason was for selling the Playbook and buying an iPad was simple and one that many people agree with, functionality. Work and/or play, the new iPad wins by a landslide.
    I have noticed that many people who prefer iPads cannot spell "PlayBook" correctly and vice versa. Why should this be so? It is so annoying when I see brand names spelled incorrectly. In addition, I have noticed that some iPad users also tend to casually split infinitives. I, on the other hand, would never do such a thing. But, in the end, none of this really matters and I am sure that no one is really interested in my observations.
    08-20-12 01:52 PM
    In the end it's "different strokes for different folks". Both have their advantages and disadvantages. If I'd have to agree with you on the "landslide" comment it would have to be on price. With price in mind, there is no way that the ipad is worth more than twice the playbook.. Sorry.. If so.. You're being way too picky and/or you really don't want to feel the backlash from your Apple buddies from them seeing you toting around a PB.

Apple has done a great job from their marketing department.. I will give them that.
    08-20-12 02:08 PM
    Here's my take on the difference between iPad users and PlayBook users:

iPad Owners:

- prefer the bigger screen for browsing, gaming, etc.
    - more simplified UI preferred
    - app intensive user (needs it all on their tablet)
    - sacrifice portability
    - bridging communications less preferred or required
    - apple product integration high

PlayBook Owners:
    - portability high
    - more mindful to efficiency of UI
    - cost mindful
    - open to app variety
    - more mindful to bridging and communication (phone integration high)
    jhanks64 likes this.
    08-20-12 02:33 PM
    iPad Owners:

- more simplified UI preferred

PlayBook Owners:

- more mindful to efficiency of UI
    What? Those are the same thing.

Efficient | Define Efficient at Dictionary.com

1: Performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.

Sounds like 'Simple' to me.

iPad Owners:

- app intensive user (needs it all on their tablet)
    This one always makes me laugh. Many PB owners think using their browser is a virtue of sorts. It's not. It's called sour grapes. On some website called Crackberry, I'm constantly reading threads about lack of apps, or threads devoted to porting Android apps, or sideloading Android apps.

Clearly, the iPad user's ability to have it all at their fingertips is a negative.

PlayBook Owners:

- cost mindful
    ORLY? Tell that to those of us that bought the tablet at its original price point. I got ripped off, all things considered.

And hey, I get to pay much more for apps than comparable iOS/Android apps too!

iPad Owners:

- bridging communications less preferred or required
    How so? Apple has iCloud and you can synchronize your contacts between your iPhone and iPad. Also, the iPad has iMessage so you can see your text messages on it, or the iPhone.

That sounds pretty much like the Playbook with bridge. Only with BBM, instead of iMessage.

PlayBook Owners:

- open to app variety
    Aka, 'want as many apps as Apple and Android?'

What is app variety?

On Google Play, I can find dozens of apps that do the same thing. On App World, I'm hard pressed to find a similar situation. Does app variety include side-loading? It'd only be variety in a sense if there were native applications and alternatives to the Android ones. But instead, we're sideloading file managers and programs to access remote network folders. We're sideloading Twitter for Pete's sake. Even the YouTube and Facebook apps are better than what the PB offers.
    Last edited by yaytoast; 08-20-12 at 02:59 PM.
    08-20-12 02:57 PM
123 1234 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD