I noticed there are some discernible differences between iPAD users and Playbook users.

Playbook users tend to be business professionals. While iPAD users seem to be artist or musicians and food services people. Why is it that hippsters and yuppies gravitate to Apple like flys to s#**. What is it about PB and Android users that make them soo dissident?
    08-20-12 09:32 AM
    This ought to be interesting and my guess is closed soon.
    08-20-12 09:36 AM
    Blackberry Users and loyalst have a "higher" Security e-IQ than Apple users......
    cerone1970 likes this.
    08-20-12 09:37 AM
    About $300
    08-20-12 09:41 AM
    About $300
    Not if you bought a Playbook when they first came out!
    08-20-12 09:46 AM
    I think it has to do with the marketing too. I see so many iPAD commercials and I think this draws the masses. I never saw any Playbook commercials, so the users who picked on up must have conducted some research elsewhere.
    08-20-12 10:03 AM
    There is no difference in the individuals, just in the numbers. Playbooks and iPads are both sold across the entire market spectrum.
    spike12 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:03 AM
    iPad owners are looking for media consumption.

PlayBook owners are looking for a portable computing device.
    08-20-12 10:07 AM
    I don't think these categories are valid. These are what stereotypes are made of. You don't want to go there....
    rcm1301 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:08 AM
    for home users like me, ipad would have been great, but we dont wanna spend much. nexus is still not available in india. so i went for pb.
    shabeeribm likes this.
    This ought to be interesting and my guess is closed soon.
    Jeez, please dont wish closure on threads.

I think this is a interseting topic becuase understanding demographic is key in this industry. I really feel BB should have focused on the corporate sector and should have never made a run for the consumer market. IMO this is why they are in fincial trouble. BB was the leader by Professional Services Companies and could have mkept a significant presence in the market by sticking to a core demographic
    for home users like me, ipad would have been great, but we dont wanna spend much. nexus is still not available in india. so i went for pb.
    Bish, Im sorry to hear you couldnt get the device you really want. I think you will be a little dissapointed however with the Playbook as a home device. I understand your llimitations but I probally would have gone with an iPAD. I think its a better device to share with the family than a Playbook.
    mud314 and soren203 like this.
    08-20-12 10:11 AM
    Jeez, please dont wish closure on threads.

I think this is a interseting topic becuase understanding demographic is key in this industry. I really feel BB should have focused on the corporate sector and should have never made a run for the consumer market. IMO this is why they are in fincial trouble. BB was the leader by Professional Services Companies and could have mkept a significant presence in the market by sticking to a core demographic
    RIM 'made a run' for the consumer segment because people wanted it. The BlackBerry device was a status symbol that people wanted, and they wanted to stay always connected. RIM is in trouble in North America because they failed to change to where the market was going. High end cameras, application, and high data speed driven devices. In short, they got caught with their pants down. They are trying to fix this, but lets hope their fix is future proof, at least to an extent.
    spike12 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:12 AM
    And I believe (it is my opinion) that prior management was distracted by the tablet market and took their eyes (all 4) off the core BlackBerry market.
    08-20-12 10:16 AM
    United Colors of Benneton:

Even different, we are all humans!

Sent from a old but beautiful BB 8520 or a new and shinny PB 2.0
    spike12 and dave1701 like this.
    08-20-12 10:20 AM
    In before the flames and subsequent lock, probably by me when I come back to check on this thread lol.
    08-20-12 10:26 AM
    My opinion is that it has a lot to do with advertising. Apple has put a lot of effort into their advertising, including showing what apps it has and how easy it is to use them.

When RIM did have PlayBook ads out, it showed Need for Speed and "Flash" video streaming (done to Queen's song). There was nothing that really showed how the PlayBook fits into every-day use. It was just about as bad as the BBM commercials (do I really care about how a barber uses BBM? especially when they don't even show BBM being used?)

There was a promo video that went around almost a year ago showing a woman using her PlayBook throughout her day. From using it at the office, to giving it to her kid to play games, it really showed what the PlayBook could do. Although it was too long of a video for a commercial, I'm surprised they didn't take that approach when advertising.

Android is somewhat guilty of the same advertising flaws as RIM. Android commercials concenrate on the Sizzle (talking about power and geek-speak) rather than showing what their device can do in the real world. How is a general consumer supposed to know how the tablet will fit into their daily routine?

I don't own an iDevice, but I do have an Android tablet, and my Playbook. With the Android tablet, I had experience with the Android OS before, so I knew what to expect. It wasn't until I actually got a PlayBook that I found out how capable a device it really is (I now tend to pick it up first, before my BB or Android devices). The only reasons I got a PlayBook was from being on here, having a BlackBerry, and software development. If I were just a general consumer, I don't think the few ads I saw would intrigue me enough to look into a PlayBook. RIM really needs to revamp their advertising direction (for BB and PlayBook).
    LewLew23 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:28 AM
    RIM 'made a run' for the consumer segment because people wanted it. The BlackBerry device was a status symbol that people wanted, and they wanted to stay always connected. RIM is in trouble in North America because they failed to change to where the market was going. High end cameras, application, and high data speed driven devices. In short, they got caught with their pants down. They are trying to fix this, but lets hope their fix is future proof, at least to an extent.
    I agree and disagree with some of your points. Yes I think people wanted it. I remember my first Berry about 7 years ago it was a 7100. I dint understand what was so god about the device, I thought it was no good compared to my Palm or Pocket PC phone. I only had the phone because it was given to me. As a avg Joe I coundt see my self buying the pearl back then but ppl did. Little kids on the train had Blackberries I just didnt get it... I think RIM should have steered away from this space becuase as a company they did not have the same set of objectives as the competition.

I agree ppl who didnt own a BB looked at it as a staus symbol becuase all these professionals own one. But once they bought one they spread the word fast that the device just isnt anything t write home about in terms of a app worthy functional smart phone
    08-20-12 10:33 AM
    So if someone has both a PlayBook and iPad like me, what does that say?

Stop trying to start flame wars by masking them under the guise of a "demographics study". Android tab, iPad or PlayBook, people are going to by what they want based upon what they expect and need out of a tablet. If you bought a PlayBook and are happy with it, why do you care if someone else bought an iPad?
    08-20-12 10:36 AM
    From the amount of games available on my PB (most of them bought to support BB&PB) make me seem like a gamer, which I'm not. I feel the BB App Store has a good game selection but a severe lack of Business applications due to the low number of users for this tablet. Still, the size is excellent for reading, music & videos but can be a little annoying for browsing with the checker-board and desktop version of websites slowing down the browser and overall PB response. I feel we need something more than 1GB for memory.

Tablets are inherently limited in their functionality but they can be used for certain tasks. The iPad has all the apps I might need for my work/play, but it ties me down with iTunes, doesn't let me download & play stuff. So, I use my PB or revert to my laptop for anything that isn't supported. Why should I expect a $200-$300 tablet to be able to replace my laptop. Being a techie by profession, I can't be duped in to thinking that, no matter how good the marketing & advertising is.
    08-20-12 10:43 AM

Stop trying to start flame wars by masking them under the guise of a "demographics study". Android tab, iPad or PlayBook, people are going to by what they want based upon what they expect and need out of a tablet. If you bought a PlayBook and are happy with it, why do you care if someone else bought an iPad?
    Good Question. If you have both (like us). Then your in a completely different demographic in most cases. Most people dont have mutliple competing devices.

Im not trying to start a flame war. I really want to understand what makes a user select one over the other and what type of person that makes them. I know these topics can stir great emotions and honestly I wouldnt be here if they didnt.- But I really mean no harm.

I, like you have both devices and I dont care if someone buys an iPAD, I just want to understand what led them to that decision. The sum of these results can be concatenated into a pool, and that will ultimatly make up the demographic.
    08-20-12 10:45 AM
    Playbook users tend to be people who are trying to save money but still want a tablet.

iPad users are just about everyone else, can't really lump them into a category.
    Akuji_ism and bishshoy like this.
    08-20-12 10:48 AM
    According to the stereotypical OP, a wanna-be H/B/Nollywood actor moonlighting as a waiter.
    Remian8985 likes this.
    08-20-12 10:54 AM
    From the amount of games available on my PB (most of them bought to support BB&PB) make me seem like a gamer, which I'm not. I feel the BB App Store has a good game selection but a severe lack of Business applications due to the low number of users for this tablet. Still, the size is excellent for reading, music & videos but can be a little annoying for browsing with the checker-board and desktop version of websites slowing down the browser and overall PB response. I feel we need something more than 1GB for memory.

Tablets are inherently limited in their functionality but they can be used for certain tasks. The iPad has all the apps I might need for my work/play, but it ties me down with iTunes, doesn't let me download & play stuff. So, I use my PB or revert to my laptop for anything that isn't supported. Why should I expect a $200-$300 tablet to be able to replace my laptop. Being a techie by profession, I can't be duped in to thinking that, no matter how good the marketing & advertising is.
    SDK, I wish we had more memory too. I have a minimum of 3 Apps running at all times on my PB and sometimes i get a bit sluggish on web pages with the checkerboard appering (especially on 2.1)

The one area we disagree in is thinking a tablet should replace your laptop. This to me is a fundemental flaw in thinking. These portable devices should not replace your laptop. They should be used and thought of as the portable extension of your laptop.
    08-20-12 10:55 AM
    According to the stereotypical OP, a wanna-be H/B/Nollywood actor moonlighting as a waiter.
    LMAO, That was funny.

But seriously, am I wrong here guys? Is there not a certain demographic for everything? Look at Prius owners vs Hummer owners. I simply want to understand the iPAD & Playbook audience.
    08-20-12 10:58 AM
123 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD