My Guess is that RIM is trying to get this PlayBook in everyone's hands and sell out completely. This PlayBook is not a dead horse the way everyone talks about it, When 2.0 is released you will see a complete 180 and depending on how that goes, Then I see RIM coming out with the 10".....There is something up RIM's Sleeve, Have you seen the new BBX, I bet u ask yourself why all touch? My Guess on this one is that RIM is failing as we all know Most people like this touch screen crap, So come out with a phone that will make ALL the android and Iphones users say "hey I wanna give that a Try" and have them jump ship, meanwhile "US" Keyboard lovers will have to wait for the 2nd BBX phone. I Think its a smart Idea and I approve BUT what I don't like is that I have heard that there r no keyboard BBX or MicroSD phones and the phone will have 16,32, or 64G (which sucks), if that's the case RIM is sinking the ship faster and I will be jumping soon. I think they are thinking smart BUT they better not start taking GREAT features away
    12-06-11 10:35 AM
    I like having the micro SD card slot, but I have yet to take it out for any purpose over the past three years, so to me its not such a big deal. Maybe to others, but honestly, with wifi and cloud storage and usb stuff, its not necessary these days imo.

And there will be a physical QWERTY BBX. RIM isn't stupid.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-06-11 10:42 AM
    I like having the micro SD card slot, but I have yet to take it out for any purpose over the past three years, so to me its not such a big deal. Maybe to others, but honestly, with wifi and cloud storage and usb stuff, its not necessary these days imo.

And there will be a physical QWERTY BBX. RIM isn't stupid.
    well with carrier IQ exposed, who knows what these clouds have access 2. What I do know is whats ever on my MicroSD is only being seen by me and that's a fact. I don't feel secure having stuff on a cloud, I like me and not someone holding onto my items. But I think RIM would b stupid not to have a qwerty keyboard. Thanks for your input
    12-06-11 02:25 PM
    Yeah, I can see how security in cloud services is an issue. But maybe with OTG USB, you really don't need it as USB connectors are far more ubiquitous than micro SD card readers.

If you want to transfer stuff from one phone to another phone, I guess transferring your micro SD card could be useful. But for most people this doesn't happen often and really, the extra flexibility RIM gets to be able to manufacture a device that doesn't need a micro SD card slot is probably worth the removal of this feature.

And as far as their development of an all-touch BB first, there are a variety of reasons.

1) Larger market (All the kool-kidz like large touchscreens)
    2) Same pixel # and aspect ratio as PB, therefore thousands of apps available immediately
    3) Compete with popular high-end touchscreen phones like Nexus Galaxy, and iPhone5
    4) Big screens look more high-tech
    5) People like to think that they want games and games look cooler on touchscreens

But yeah, I like your post and agree. Don't worry, they won't forget about their loyal qwerty customers! I think the best strategy here is to market like Apple but innovate in software, which is what they are trying to do.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-06-11 03:14 PM
    In another thread I read RIM has plans to release a BBX phone with a keyboard 1 to 2 months after the release of the first BBX phone.

The large screens are impressive. I think it's smart to come-out with an all-touch phone first
    12-06-11 05:20 PM
    Problem is, android and iphone are not going to jump ship JUST because blackberrys are now full screening.
    1. so far the london that's seen is a very radical design. people will be reluctant
    2. no matter what, at the end of the day, it's a bb. android and iphone users like their own platform. just because its full screen doesn't make it competitive.

the new London phone are more for loyal bb users who want to be able to say that they have a phone that's on par with android and iphone right now. regardless of what we bb users say, android and iphone users look down on us. Android and iphone's apps and services are just beyond any of blackberry right now and personally i dont think RIM should be trying to head in the same direction as those two platforms.

The emphasis of bb, at least this is what i always tell my non bb friends, has always been email, bbm, and keyboard (since i dont work in commercial field the security does not really apply to me). It makes it a social communication device.
    I tell people; bb is very good at communicating. Even bbm music is a social music idea.
    I personally think Android is for people who love their hardware more then they love the people that they're talking to on the other side of the phone.

We have to embrace that culture and take advantage of a wide number of people using these social communication devices.
    Jonathank likes this.
    12-06-11 10:51 PM
    All they really need is a dual core phone w/ a front face camera and many people will be happy. They need to fix this OS before dumping a new beta OS on us again.
    12-07-11 12:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD