What's Best about Playbook? - Tonight I'm walking out of the office with just my Playbook and one thin file under my arm -- instead of LUGGING my laptop and big nylon briefcase.
    I'm headed home and on top of the world - because its 2012 and going to be a great year with my almost new Playbook! What a change from all of my 2011 and what a great feeling !
    (and I know I have quick access to email, web, calendar, and a few key files). Heck, in February file access will be even easier. What used to be a VERY small laptop now seems much heavier and very slow to power up. Many days I will leave it parked.

That's a great way to feel ending the day! I just had to tell the CB world.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 01-05-12 at 06:01 PM. Reason: sp
    01-05-12 05:07 PM
    ...it's in the plans for tonight also! (I'm on the Pacific side of time).
    01-05-12 06:08 PM
    Completely agree. No more do I lug a laptop and try to balance it on my knees on a train. I tried using a laptop once on a plane - let's just say once was enough. I now find myself thinking nothing of reaching for my PB and immediately doing a task, rather than adding a note to my to do list to complete it when I'm back in the office or at home. It's really given me the freedom to clear my mind much of the time.
    glassofpinot likes this.
    01-05-12 06:58 PM
    So can you open PDF files and search, highlight, and write notes on the business reports, charts, etc?

It can run windows software required for work...dependant of the industry?

Yup, surfing while taking a dump is the only productive thing it can do. Sorrry, but the PB fails as a subsitute for a notebook.
    01-05-12 06:58 PM
    So can you open PDF files and search, highlight, and write notes on the business reports, charts, etc?
    Yup, surfing while taking a dump is the only productive thing it can do. Sorrry, but the PB fails as a subsitute for a notebook.
    I'm not throwing my laptop away - but the PB is getting more of my time and the laptop less. My prediction is that the PB % will keep rising. And more cloud will mean rising faster.
    Last edited by glassofpinot; 01-05-12 at 10:28 PM. Reason: sp
    01-05-12 07:03 PM
    Actually, the jotsy beta looks pretty good.

Granted, it depends on your company's infrastructure, but the Citrix client is great.

Dismissive much?
    01-05-12 07:07 PM

I don't see anyone claiming it's a complete substitute for a notebook. But when a notebook isn't practical how exactly do you open PDF files and search, highlight, and write notes on the business reports, charts, etc?
    bbvj likes this.
    01-05-12 07:09 PM
    I don't see anyone claiming it's a complete substitute for a notebook. But when a notebook isn't practical how exactly do you open PDF files and search, highlight, and write notes on the business reports, charts, etc?
    cant run windows, but yes office files can be opened and edited. very useful and so is citrix. if your work infrastructure is in the cloud, email docs ect.. then it can replace your laptop to a degree. pdf files can be opened, power point presentations can be edited. owners know this. although you cannot i install windows software, the is a good place to work from. include the free 50gb storage from box in vids music and yes important files on the go.

for me it works..and i'm McLovin it..
    ubermanx, bbvj and glassofpinot like this.
    01-05-12 08:37 PM
  9. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    I plan on doing something similar. I work in a remote part of northern Canada for two weeks at a time.

For entertainment I usually bring a Laptop, blackberry curve , headphones, and a bulky external hard drive. So many wires!

Next flight out is in a few days, and my bags will be a little lighter.

This time my entertainment will consist of my preloaded Playbook, Curve, and Headphones!
    01-05-12 08:50 PM

So you're saying the OP is wrong, and his PlayBook doesn't work for him? I guess you know what works for him better than he does. I'm so grateful to have informative and insightful contributors such as yourself to enlighten the rest of us as to what we do and do not need in our dreary daily lives.
    01-05-12 08:58 PM
    It's actually added to my load but I'm not complaining. I used to be just keys, wallet, BB and sunglasses. My friend used to say that when I would check for them all, it looked like I was making the sign of the cross... Now I also have the PB either in my hand or tucked under my arm.
    01-05-12 09:05 PM
    With the RDP app via the Android player I can connect to my office PC and do anything. No laptop for me.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    01-05-12 09:19 PM

That's because you don't know how to use it.

My playbook, in my service truck, on a jobsite in the middle of nowhere, no WIFI, and yet with cell service, I'm bridged through my Torch to use RDP back to my office computer to remotely run a specialized Windows diagnostic program for the piece of equipment in the yard I'm at.

No laptop, no wires, no crappy battery life, no taking up a bunch of room in a crowded service truck cab. Consistenty quick RDP connection, diagnostic testing done, and back on the road to the next jobsite. Take pics of the site and make trip notes in Evernote, half my paperwork is done on the road in the cab of the truck. Print to the office HP printer through e-print. Works great from the PB.

Completely replaced my laptop for visiting jobsites. Hope you find a better use for yours.
    01-05-12 09:55 PM
    Vorpalz - great post and great picture ! . . . . .Real. .Playbook. .Rocks.
    popeyesmotto likes this.
    01-05-12 10:40 PM
  15. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    I tip my hard hat to you, Sir.
    01-05-12 11:27 PM

You forgot to add "in my insignificant opinion"
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-06-12 at 01:01 AM.
    01-06-12 12:57 AM

Click to view quoted image

My playbook, in my service truck, on a jobsite in the middle of nowhere, no WIFI, and yet with cell service, I'm bridged through my Torch to use RDP back to my office computer to remotely run a specialized Windows diagnostic program for the piece of equipment in the yard I'm at.

No laptop, no wires, no crappy battery life, no taking up a bunch of room in a crowded service truck cab. Consistenty quick RDP connection, diagnostic testing done, and back on the road to the next jobsite. Take pics of the site and make trip notes in Evernote, half my paperwork is done on the road in the cab of the truck. Print to the office HP printer through e-print. Works great from the PB.

Completely replaced my laptop for visiting jobsites. Hope you find a better use for yours.
    Have you tried the "cooktop" app for keeping that coffee warm?
    01-06-12 01:01 AM
    here i am this morning - waiting for my laptop to power up. but i've already been working away on my Playbook. love it.
    01-06-12 10:53 AM
    got home its late at night .
    swipe to open my playbook. bridge my phone.
    getting my emails.get blinkx open to watch my favorite shows .
    bbm one friend on my phone. and using bbm on my pb to bbm another friend on a diferrent topic.simultaneously
    all of with no lag. oh yes
    PPB IS AWSOME ...
    NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY.
    glassofpinot and mariobastros like this.
    01-06-12 11:16 AM
    I like having it in the field where its a pain to pull out the laptop. Now, i can actually see most emailed attachments when they arrive. Also comes in handy when the job turns into "hurry up and wait" mode - just fire up a video.
    01-06-12 11:57 AM

Click to view quoted image

Now THAT is a Playbook in the wild.
    01-06-12 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD