Hey Everyone,

A thought that I had was one that has perplexed me for a long while, well ever since PlayBook OS 2.0 was launched in February.

What I don't quite understand is why does there seem to be so much hatred towards the Android runtime on the PlayBook?

Personally I find it works quite nicely for apps that do work. It even can access native notifications which is quite nice as well as provides true backgrounding along with tight integration with a combination of core OS apps and other installed Android apps.

So again I ask, What's' with all the hate everyone?
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-11-12 08:56 PM
    No hate here. OK. the android player was less than stable under OS 2.0, but under 2.1 beta any problems have virtually disappeared.
    Harryl6134 and bbfan1040 like this.
    07-11-12 09:03 PM
    Any so called hate should disappear as the runtime evolves. 2.1 brings a seamless integration that should evolved even more fluidly in BB10.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    07-11-12 09:06 PM
    I hope RIM also implements that ICS update they were talking about , If so, that would open up support to tablet optimized apps. Gingerbread does have tablet optimized apps as well but they seem to be far and few in between.
    07-11-12 09:10 PM
    I hope RIM also implements that ICS update they were talking about ,
    Are you saying RIM has talked about that?
    07-11-12 09:15 PM
    Are you saying RIM has talked about that?
    They have, and I quote "We will follow the open source code as it becomes available". I'm off to find the video evidence
    07-11-12 09:16 PM
    No doubt some of the issues are not the android player but rather that the apps have not been thoroughly debugged by the developers. A good example is tapatalk. The latest release runs great on the play book whereas the first releases had issues.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    goku_vegeta and bbfan1040 like this.
    07-11-12 09:20 PM
    FOUND IT

Start at 2:53

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiE0i09hnwc[/YT]
    app_Developer likes this.
    07-11-12 09:36 PM
    No doubt some of the issues are not the android player but rather that the apps have not been thoroughly debugged by the developers. A good example is tapatalk. The latest release runs great on the play book whereas the first releases had issues.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    Exactly, I think many members who are complaining about the runtime haven't used a wide variety of Android apps. With compatible apps I can say the performance on the PlayBook is pretty much on par with the majority of devices out there.

If there is an Android app that runs terribly on Android based phones/tablets, you can pretty much guarantee it'll run badly on the PlayBook as well.
    07-11-12 09:37 PM
    Not hate but choice. If I wanted an Android tablet I would have one and not be in CB. Does the iPad have it? Does the MS Surface have it? And why not?

I chose the PlayBook because of its compatibility with my BlackBerry phone. It is by choice because how much I enjoy the BlackBerry experience.

Yes I agree the Android experience on the PlayBook is improving but I highly doubt it will ever match the Nexus or Galaxy experience and as such Android on the PB will always be a me too thing.

When BB10 does finally arrive do you think it will be wise to have ICS competing with it?

No not hate I choose and want a BlackBerry not an Android.
    07-11-12 11:43 PM
    I find the Android Emulator is fine, but could be opened up to run more apps. Java only apps is kinda hurt.
    07-12-12 01:17 AM
    Haters gonna hate.
    07-12-12 02:11 AM
    Not hate but choice. If I wanted an Android tablet I would have one and not be in CB. Does the iPad have it? Does the MS Surface have it? And why not?

I chose the PlayBook because of its compatibility with my BlackBerry phone. It is by choice because how much I enjoy the BlackBerry experience.

Yes I agree the Android experience on the PlayBook is improving but I highly doubt it will ever match the Nexus or Galaxy experience and as such Android on the PB will always be a me too thing.

When BB10 does finally arrive do you think it will be wise to have ICS competing with it?

If RIM had been able to move a lot faster in general I think the android runtime could have been somewhat of an advantage in certain corporate settings. Like where they wanted to support android as well as blackberry. As it turns out though it's not really amounted to a whole lot. In my opinion.

Sent from my flip-phone.
    07-12-12 02:27 AM
    Prior to OS 2.1 beta, I avoided the Android runtime like the plague. It hung far to often to become more than a curiosity for me. However, since moving to the OS 2.1 beta, I find I'm using more Android apps than native ones, including:

TapaTalk
    gReader
    Twitter (official)
    ES File Explorer
    Swarm
    Google Maps

In fact, the only major native apps I still use (other than games) are Messages and the Web browser (Dolphin is simply too slow/limited on the PB).

These above listed apps, running in the Android player, deliver a better overall experience than their native counterparts, IMHO. At the same time, OS 2.1's robust multitasking and smooth, fluid UI make working with them easier than in a native Android setting (at least pre-ICS/JB).

For me, the PB's Android capability has become an indispensable tool that I use daily to compliment my PC-based content creation activities. Without it, I doubt I'd use my PB half as often. I hope they continue to develop this capability, and that includes updating it to support ICS apps, native code (if possible), and maybe even Google Play.

Bottom Line: I want access to, and support for, more Android apps, but I want to run them on my PB.

RCK
    07-12-12 02:56 AM
    Just started sideloading this week, and so far, no problem - I have now the apps i had when i had an android tab in another tab, this one, which complements my BB phone.

Some of the apps didnt run, but i guess is because i instaled like 10 at the same time ^^

Sideload FTW!

Sent from my Dance Studio 8520 using TapaTapa
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    07-12-12 03:21 AM
    On 2.1 is much better. Screen gets mixed up sometimes but no biggie. The hassle is converting BAR files etc or not knowing which apps might work and which might not.

They would do a lot better to improve compatibility with more apps and approach developers on Google Play directly and offer to BAR them and put them on AppWorld with no effort required form the developer. I think that would significantly increase the number of useful apps out there. There is no hardware reason why all Android apps can't work.

Finally they could improve the way Android apps launch - takes a long time waiting for the Android player to start up initially and occasionally needs restarting. That could do with some debugging.
    07-12-12 03:26 AM
    FOUND IT

Start at 2:53

Does anyone know where I can get that flight simulator game? Looks pretty good!
    07-12-12 04:54 AM
    On 2.1 is much better. Screen gets mixed up sometimes but no biggie. The hassle is converting BAR files etc or not knowing which apps might work and which might not.

They would do a lot better to improve compatibility with more apps and approach developers on Google Play directly and offer to BAR them and put them on AppWorld with no effort required form the developer. I think that would significantly increase the number of useful apps out there. There is no hardware reason why all Android apps can't work.

Finally they could improve the way Android apps launch - takes a long time waiting for the Android player to start up initially and occasionally needs restarting. That could do with some debugging.
    Koz is doing a lot to remedy this with his Good E Reader site, however, his offerings tend to be a few versions behind at times. I bit the bullet, downloaded the WebWorks tools, and now roll my own BARs whenever I have a need.

As for the launch time issue, I'm not seeing it. Yes, the player needs to reboot from time to time, most often in low memory situations. But I can load 2-3 Android apps simultaneously and be switching between them within 3-5 seconds. And they still load faster than that bloated excuse for a native Web browser shell.

Bottom Line: If OS 2.1 is this good in beta form, the final bits should really rock.
    RCK
    littd likes this.
    07-12-12 04:55 AM

Well the PlayBook has always been a BlackBerry + Android thing since PlayBook OS 2.0 and even the beta builds. I think the idea that most people have is the PlayBook IS android which in fact is the wrong way of looking at it.

Not the best example if anyone is familar with "Bootcamp" or "Hackintosh" You'll know what I'm trying to get at here.

I don't think RIM is striving to make the experience identical to Galaxy/Nexus devices. What their aiming for is being able to run the most amount of apps as well as providing the best runtime. The Android runtime has come a LONG way since its inception and I have to say its definitely a plus point.

Some users like the ability to run an Android app in a secure environment as well
    07-12-12 07:18 AM
    Some users like the ability to run an Android app in a secure environment as well
    You hit the nail on the head right there. We all wish there more native apps available on the PB, and glancing enviously at the competition's vast app catalogs has become somewhat of obsession for us long suffering Playbook owners. However, I'm not sure how many of us would be willing to sacrifice QNX and switch to the insecure, fragmented mess that is Android in order to get those apps.

The Android runtime on the Playbook gives us access to many of those apps, and it allows us to sample them from the comfort of an incredibly robust, secure OS: QNX. If you were to draw some parallels, you might point to WINE on Linux or even the POSIX subsystem on Windows NT (the "Windows XP Mode" feature of Windows 7 also comes to mind).

Or, if you really want to take a trip back in time, check out IBM's "OS/2 for Windows" circa 1995 - though I'm not sure I'd want to associate RIM's OS 2.xx with Big Blue's botched effort to snatch the PC OS market back from arch-rival Microsoft.

RCK
    07-12-12 10:40 AM
    No hate here. In the latest beta the integration is very good. You are not in any way running the android OS just the apps. The software either works or it does not. I run 15 android apps currently. When better native apps come I will switch to them. I can't code and I don't care if it is native or android or iOS (oh please oh please). I need the functionality; I don't care who wrote the code in what language in what development environment. If PB can run the code I will use it if I can.
    FF22 and tinker2000 like this.
    07-12-12 11:00 AM
    btw, can i update my sideloaded apps to the newest version?

if so, how?

Tks

Sent from a Dancehall using TapaTapa
    07-12-12 02:01 PM
    btw, can i update my sideloaded apps to the newest version?

if so, how?

Tks

Sent from a Dancehall using TapaTapa
    You'd need to find the newer version in the appropriate bar form and sideload it. I don't think you can upgrade directly on the pb unless the app was offered in appworld initially.
    PedroBorgas likes this.
    07-12-12 03:08 PM
    Android run time tends to be sluggish because it opens up a screen of up to six apps first and only then launches the chosen application. The run time would be significantly improved if it gave unfettered access to android market.

Is there anyway to side load android market to get that access?
    07-12-12 03:20 PM
    Android run time tends to be sluggish because it opens up a screen of up to six apps first and only then launches the chosen application. The run time would be significantly improved if it gave unfettered access to android market.

Is there anyway to side load android market to get that access?
    In PlayBook OS 2.0.1 I found that doesn't happen very often.

In the OS 2.1 Beta it's non existent, the "Recent Applications" page has been completely removed from the Android runtime.
    07-12-12 04:13 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD