Purchased end of November
    Recharge count 68
    98% health
    Using rapid charger dock for 1 to 2 months

I've let the battery run down to 15% or til it died completely before putting it on the charger.
    05-01-12 12:47 PM
    I am a newbie, so this is probably a dumb question, but when the battery life is over, can it be replaced? I don't see how to open it up like a phone. Has anyone seen batteries for sale, and for what price?

I don't need one yet, but I would sure hate to have my PB die on me....
    05-01-12 01:19 PM
    Just turned 100 recharge counts since I bought it just before Black Friday. Use charging pod almost exclusively. Battery Guru / TabletOS reports health at 90%---but in honor of the centennial, I performed Peter9477's famous Drain Test. It took 10.125 hours to drain from 100% to auto-shutoff, with an average current of 0.5001 ampere, according to the CSV file.

By my reckoning, that's 10.125 * 0.5001 = 5.0635 amp-hour. Divided by the theoretical "perfect" 5.4 amp-hour capacity, my "true health" is actually closer to 94%. Very pleased.
    05-03-12 03:04 PM
    Back down to 88% after 186 charges.
    05-03-12 03:40 PM
    so, can someone suggest a preferred set of practices for a extending battery longevity, I mean the practices that xtend battery life/health to the absolute optimum..from this point of view...

-is rapid charger better than the wall charger?
    -is constant topping up preferred to deeper discharge and thus less frequent charging?
    -is intense usage (gaming, video streaming, high brightness) shortening the health vs. a more moderate usage (browsing, e-reading...)?
    -is moderate environment temperature (60-70F) preferred to the hot one?
    etc etc...
    05-03-12 06:31 PM
    Generally, any practice that reduces battery heat should increase longevity.

1. Avoid storing or operating the PB above 45� C.
    2. Slow charging is better than rapid charging. Slow charging draws less current. The higher the battery current, the hotter it gets.
    3. Keeping the battery topped off is better than fully depleting it, because charge current is proportional to depth of discharge.
    4. Light/dim usage is better than intense/bright usage. However, this effect can be mitigated by keeping the PB plugged in to a charger when practical and convenient. The goal here is for the charger to supply the necessary CPU/screen current, rather than the battery.
    Last edited by dugggggg; 05-03-12 at 07:07 PM. Reason: Typo
    Crowezine likes this.
    05-03-12 07:00 PM
    my battery health improved from 89 to 91%
    05-04-12 01:13 AM
    Ok, after almost 6 months and having my curiosity aroused by the thread, i downloaded the battery guru.

it was a shear curiosity because i meticulously follow the 'good practices' outlined above with ALL my lithium-ion batteries...the result is barely a surprise and truly outstanding:

Voltage -4.18
    Recharge count -64 (not sure why 64 b/c i top up every night for 5+ months)
    Health -92%
    Charger - USB wall

i run my PB at 40% brightness and airplane mode standby each time it is NOT used
    malgpz900 likes this.
    05-04-12 06:55 AM
    Ok, after almost 6 months and having my curiosity aroused by the thread, i downloaded the battery guru.

it was a shear curiosity because i meticulously follow the 'good practices' outlined above with ALL my lithium-ion batteries...the result is barely a surprise and truly outstanding:

Voltage -4.18
    Recharge count -64 (not sure why 64 b/c i top up every night for 5+ months)
    Health -92%
    Charger - USB wall

i run my PB at 40% brightness and airplane mode standby each time it is NOT used
    Those are full charge/discharge cycle "equivalents".
    05-04-12 07:47 AM
    Hi all
    Having some issues. RIM support is recommending I wipe and reload. With over 400 apps, and the associated data (saved games etc), it's not something I want to do. The support rep said it's an issue they've seen since the last software update... and that this is the only way to do it for now.

I bought battery guru to see what was up. Here are my stats:
    Purchased launch day ... and I got a refurb sometime after around 3 months.
    Recharge count 146
    81% health
    Battery level 39%
    Power 1.71 W
    I use rapid (magnetic) charger during the day and every night charge on the usb wall plug.

What happened was this - this morning I picked up the device and noticed the battery was around half level. It had charged overnight (usb) 8+ hrs. I run a sound app (beats brainwave entrainment) overnight as it helps me sleep. I've done this for months and months and always before today had a 'full' battery.
    I used the playbook for around an hour and then popped it on the magnetic charger for about 1.5hrs. When I came back it was at 39%. (Note it DOES recognize the charge (lightning bolt or wall plug) appear on the battery icon).
    I called RIM support and while I was on I downloaded bguru and saw the above stats. I have also noticed it's been running quite hot the past couple days (but no obvious bulge in the back)... they say the new problem is it only charges to 50% which seems to jibe with my results

Any thoughts? I really don't want to do a software reload
    hpulley likes this.
    05-04-12 12:43 PM
    Using Battery Guru, confirm that it says "Charge" rather than "Power" when using the rapid charge port. The lightning bolt symbol on the battery icon is meaningless. If BG says Power with the charger connected, try scraping off the corrosion on the PB's three terminals using a small screwdriver.
    05-04-12 02:12 PM
    Using Battery Guru, confirm that it says "Charge" rather than "Power" when using the rapid charge port. The lightning bolt symbol on the battery icon is meaningless. If BG says Power with the charger connected, try scraping off the corrosion on the PB's three terminals using a small screwdriver.
    I just checked and it's been sitting on the magnetic one since my post and I'm now at 100%. It says 'charge' when connected so I don't believe there is any corrosion (and it was two different types of chargers so doubtful both had corroded - at least they look normal)
    Weird. I guess with Battery guru I will watch it to see if it does any other stuff over the next while. Glad I didn't reload at least! But 81% seems low compared to everyone else
    05-04-12 02:31 PM
    In addition to what Dugggggggggggggggggggggg wrote.....

When you attach the charger, whichever type, watch Battery Guru and make sure after a minute or so, the Percentage actually shows an increase. The magnetic chargers (both dock and non-dock) can give a FALSE Lightning Bolt if not fully seated or engaged. So if no change in percentage, fiddle with the connection and make sure it actually increases.
    05-04-12 02:57 PM
    What app is everyone using for this? Battery Guru?

I was about to purchase this and i was wondering if it told me the last time that I had it charging? That's something from my XOOM that was native that I don't see on my pb.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    05-05-12 02:57 PM
    Yes, Battery Guru and yes the graph shows when it was charging and drawing over the past 10 hours, more in CSV file export.
    05-05-12 05:26 PM
    Here's mine
    05-05-12 10:02 PM
    And mine. It will be a year old in July.

Mike
    05-05-12 10:08 PM
    In addition to what Dugggggggggggggggggggggg wrote.....

When you attach the charger, whichever type, watch Battery Guru and make sure after a minute or so, the Percentage actually shows an increase. The magnetic chargers (both dock and non-dock) can give a FALSE Lightning Bolt if not fully seated or engaged. So if no change in percentage, fiddle with the connection and make sure it actually increases.
    Thanks F2. There was definitely an increase... I actually got it back to 100%. Yesterday when I ran battery health it was 97%. Today I ran it again and I'm at 64% health. Seems to be all over the map... but at least my charging seems to be working again.
    05-06-12 08:32 AM
    Thanks F2. There was definitely an increase... I actually got it back to 100%. Yesterday when I ran battery health it was 97%. Today I ran it again and I'm at 64% health. Seems to be all over the map... but at least my charging seems to be working again.
    I really don't know why battery health would vary that much. Another way to view this - how long does your battery last doing normal pb activities after it has reached 100%. If it seems reasonable (obviously uses affect battery life - some games burn through a charge), then maybe Health is not really an issue.
    05-06-12 09:32 AM
    I really don't know why battery health would vary that much. Another way to view this - how long does your battery last doing normal pb activities after it has reached 100%. If it seems reasonable (obviously uses affect battery life - some games burn through a charge), then maybe Health is not really an issue.
    It lasts pretty well most of the time. I haven't ever measured it. Certainly not as long as my other tablet (but that one sits idle since 2.0 launched except for one app!)
    It just seems odd to me that health seems to be so important in this list and it fluctuates so much on my device.
    05-06-12 11:46 AM
    Battery health 99%
    I have had playbook for 5.5 mths
    Recharge count 79
    I recently starting using the rapid charger
    Gary
    05-06-12 11:59 AM
    I don't have battery guru.

I note my playbook gets hot on the rapid desk charger so I downloaded battery watch (free) and it's currently showing a temperature of 32.2 (about 90f)

Is this normal or should I not use the charger whilst using pb?

This is a new phone so ill give it a couple of days I guess......
    12-29-12 03:50 PM
    I don't have battery guru.

I note my playbook gets hot on the rapid desk charger so I downloaded battery watch (free) and it's currently showing a temperature of 32.2 (about 90f)

Is this normal or should I not use the charger whilst using pb?

This is a new phone so ill give it a couple of days I guess......
    Some games can definitely make the pb run quite warm (hot??). But if it is not doing much, it really should not be too warm.
    12-29-12 05:43 PM
    PB1 (older):
    Battery health 87%
    Recharge count 386

PB2 (newer):
    Battery health 91%
    Recharge count 74
    12-30-12 04:31 PM
    My playbook battery health- 87%

Recharge. Count- 102
    12-30-12 05:47 PM
101 ... 2345