Using the wonderful app battery guru from app world what is everyones current battery health?

Battery health?
    How long youve had the playbook?
    How many recharge count?
    Use rapid charger?

Ill start
    Battery health? 95%
    How long youve had the playbook? 2 monrhs
    How many recharge count? 38
    Use rapid charger? No
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-30-11 02:00 PM
    Where do I find that information?
    08-30-11 02:24 PM
    Where do I find that information?
    Battery Guru from app world its $2 but its a cool app.
    08-30-11 02:29 PM
    Using the wonderful app battery guru from app world what is everyones current battery health?

Battery health?
    How long youve had the playbook?
    How many recharge count?
    Use rapid charger?

Ill start
    Battery health? 95%
    How long youve had the playbook? 2 monrhs
    How many recharge count? 38
    Use rapid charger? No
    Health shouldn't be put in the same category as run time..

The former takes into account battery voltage, and temperature

The latter is, how much fuel is left

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
    08-30-11 02:37 PM
    Battery health? 92%
    How long youve had the playbook? 23 days
    How many recharge count? 22
    Use rapid charger? Sometimes

This is my second PB as my first developed a charging/power fault after 2 months. The battery health was 98% but I think this was inaccurate as it dropped to about 80% when the faults started go show.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-30-11 04:57 PM
    Battery health? 89%
    How long youve had the playbook? This one since week two of launch, first one died which I had on day one hour one.
    How many recharge count? 119
    Use rapid charger? The cradle, so yes.
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-30-11 05:56 PM
    Health shouldn't be put in the same category as run time..

The former takes into account battery voltage, and temperature

The latter is, how much fuel is left
    He's probably aware of the distinction. Battery "health" is a value reported by the OS, and displayed by Battery Guru, which is a measure of how large your battery capacity (the "size of the fuel tank", to use your analogy) is relative to the nominal size of the battery according to the manufacturer.

Since the PlayBook's battery is nominally 19.98Wh, a battery with 95% "health" actually has a capacity of only 18.98Wh, which would give (for example) 6.3h of use at 3W constant load.

Lithium batteries are apparently pretty much never at their nominal capacity even at the time of shipping, so the manufacturers are basically lying about the effective capacities (or so I understand).

The health should gradually drop, over time and with recharge cycles. I would expect most people to be in the 85-95 range for now, and in a year I expect we'll start to see numbers rather lower than that. Somewhere there's going to be a cutoff where we'd consider the battery basically at end-of-life, but I'm not sure where that should be.
    jsdhornby likes this.
    08-30-11 06:25 PM
    For my own stats (and thanks for starting the thread... great idea!):

Health: 90%
    Recharges: 94
    Charger: initially the bundled one, rapid charger for about a month
    lop01 likes this.
    08-30-11 06:30 PM
    Battery health? 89%
    How long youve had the playbook? June 2nd
    How many recharge count? 56
    Use rapid charger? No, wall charger.

So why is health so low, is it the wall charger or should I charge it everyday regardless of juice left?
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-30-11 06:37 PM
    Battery health - 89%
    How long youve had the playbook - April 22
    How many recharge count - 58
    Use rapid charger - Yes, almost every weekday since purchase
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-30-11 07:05 PM
    Battery health? 89%

So why is health so low, is it the wall charger or should I charge it everyday regardless of juice left?
    By "so low", are you thinking 89 is "so low" compared to some others here (at 92% for example), or "so low" compared to 100%?

I find in the high 80s and low 90s is typical of all PlayBook batteries at this point. I believe as-shipped the batteries are probably averaging something like 94%, and with only 10-20 recharge cycles they go through an initial drop to the low 90s. I don't think 89% is enough different, given the inaccuracies involved (especially since the software that calculates that is flaky), that it's anything to be concerned about.

I've also been experimenting for 2 months now on different types of discharge/recharge patterns, with no apparent effect on the health. I've done full-cycle drain/recharge, and also tried constantly topping up, and cycling from the high 90s down to 20-30% before recharging again. My battery health varies from 89 to 91 and back over the weeks, with no correlation to how I'm using or charging it.
    mrpink73, nova_8 and Harryl6134 like this.
    08-31-11 08:12 AM
    Battery 37%
    Charge 4.60 W
    Battery voltage 3.81V
    Battery Health 97%
    Purchased July 25, 2011
    Recharge count 40

Mike
    peter9477 likes this.
    08-31-11 08:50 AM
    Here's my stats after running Battery Guru:

Health: 90%
    Battery voltage 3.75V
    Power: 0.08 W
    Recharges: 53
    Charger: the bundled one, plan to pick up the rapid charger soon
    camry1800 and peter9477 like this.
    09-02-11 09:49 AM
    Playing with Battery Guru today, I let the battery drain all the way. It ran for almost an hour on 0% with the backlight on constantly. So much for battery meter accuracy.

Anyway, the interesting thing is that my battery health went up to 90% from 89% when doing this. I thought that demonstrated how battery health might not be a very accurate measurement.

I've also noticed that if I put the PB on standby with Battery Guru running, it drains the batter twice as fast than on standby with nothing running. Almost 2% drain per hour vs less than 1% per hour on standby. I expected some additional drain, but an extra 1% per hour is a bit much for an app that updates only once every few minutes.
    09-02-11 10:15 AM
    I've also noticed that if I put the PB on standby with Battery Guru running, it drains the batter twice as fast than on standby with nothing running. Almost 2% drain per hour vs less than 1% per hour on standby. I expected some additional drain, but an extra 1% per hour is a bit much for an app that updates only once every few minutes.
    I do not believe this results from Battery Guru running. The design of Battery Guru is such that it puts no measurable additional load on the battery. It was this way in the pre-release versions, with over a month of testing, and I've seen nothing to suggest otherwise in the 1.5 months since release.

Typical standby drain should be on the order of 0.3% per hour actually, so if you're seeing values higher than that, with or without Battery Guru running, I believe the issue is something else.

With 1% per hour used, you should be seeing 0.18W consumption. If it's truly using 2% per hour, the power would show as 0.36W. If you have it on standby for more than a few minutes, then swipe to wake it up and immediately look at the Battery Guru display, does it show 0.36W? If it's much lower, then there's a real mystery, because it can't both use 2% per hour and be showing much less than 0.36W, unless your actual battery health is significantly less than 90%.

If you do an export of the data and send the CSV file (zipped if possible) to the support address, I'd be happy to analyze it further and let you know what the issue might be.

I'm pretty confident in stating that running Battery Guru will not significantly affect your battery life, but while that statement is true for most PlayBooks, it's possible that there's something unusual about a given tablet which could make it untrue in one case.
    Shredder00 likes this.
    09-02-11 11:12 AM
    Honestly, I hardly let my battery drain. My PB usually stays on my desk, turned off and unused. It's sad, really.
    09-02-11 11:57 AM
    Honestly, I hardly let my battery drain. My PB usually stays on my desk, turned off and unused. It's sad, really.
    Yes that is sad but your choice. I find it quite useful even with the missing things. You should find a friend that will make use of it while you're waiting.
    09-02-11 12:13 PM
    Something else was going on the night I had Battery Guru running with so much drain. No idea what it was, but there is a marked difference between the history from that night and the history at other times. That night, I had about 0.24 W pretty consistently, which using your math equates to 1.5% per hour. After a reboot, I now see as low as 0.057 W on standby.

No idea what else was going on, but something else was running without my knowledge.
    09-02-11 01:45 PM
    Bulldawg, I suspect that's the same thing I've seen sometimes since 1.0.7, and which I've tentatively blamed on the GPS. I've mentioned it a few times in other threads here and in the BB support forums.

Basically, sometimes it appears one or more background services keep running, indefinitely, after the apps that needed them have stopped running and the system has gone idle. I've had the thing stuck at loads like 0.09W, 0.13W, and I think as high as 0.3W or so, with nothing running. 0.24W or so is perhaps the most common value I've seen. Shutting off WiFi and BT had no impact on it.

I did think that enabling Airplane mode actually improved that once or twice, though I've since confirmed that at least one other time it had no impact. It sometimes goes days between occurrences so it's a bit hard to troubleshoot effectively.

It's still a mystery, and I think you're the first other person to report observing something similar. Maybe with enough people aware of that, it could be tracked down. I have no idea if RIM is aware of it yet, though I always find it hard to believe that almost any of the issues we find could really be news to them.
    09-02-11 02:01 PM
    Which battery life?

I am always charged up, positive thinking and energetic.
    So is my PB battery.

PB Battery health clearly depends on the usage like any other battery on your laptop/mobile phone / or other devices.

I hope you might have seen the "fine print" regarding the battery life for everyday. that same applies to PB as well.

Having said that I have seen varied battery stand by times ( for my PB ) which are directly impacted based on the following

- With Bluetooth and bridge + home WIFI
    - Without Bluetooth and bridge - No home Wi-fi but with Sprint mifi
    - Number of apps running using simultaneously
    - No Bridge and only Home WIFI
    - No wifi , no bridge , nothing - just playing non network games.

and everytime it gives different results.

Average though is 3.15 - 5.15 minutes.
    09-02-11 02:27 PM
    I just posted in the PlayBook Apps & Games forum that Battery Guru is on sale this weekend only, at half price (0.99).
    09-02-11 02:40 PM
    Battery health? 100%
    How long you've had the playbook? 2 days
    How many recharge count? 1
    Use rapid charger? No
    jonathon.94 and peter9477 like this.
    09-03-11 02:24 PM
    @Connor_BB, wow ... newest unit I've seen, and only one with 100% health so far.

Would you mind popping back in with an update after you've gone through 10 recharges or so, or once you notice a drop in health below 97% or so?
    09-03-11 03:22 PM
    Yeah sure I'll post it again once I've reached ten charges. Glad to help and brilliant app
    09-03-11 03:26 PM
    Battery health? 90%
    How long youve had the playbook? Purchased April 25th
    How many recharge count? 29
    Use rapid charger? No
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-05-11 10:36 PM
101 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD