View Poll Results: Pick one BB10 on Playbook or Native Code Compatibility?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Native Code

9 16.07%
  • BB10 All The Way!!!

47 83.93%
    I don't know about you guys, but this would be a really hard decision for me. As you know, native code compatibility would give us almost all of the Android apps. Pick one of them and tell us why you choose it.
    11-25-12 09:37 PM
    BlackBerry OS 10 for the BlackBerry PlayBook. The BlackBerry Android Player Subsystem should never be part of BlackBerry OS 10, otherwise it suggests that Research In Motion is not confident in their own product to attract application developers. ATTENTION HERR HEINS - STOP WASTING RESOURCES ON BLACKBERRY ANDROID PLAYER SUBSYSTEM.
    11-25-12 09:46 PM
    BlackBerry10 for sure. It looks amazing and the apps will be there. RIM is going all out to make sure they have the best platform out and I'm very much looking forward to seeing what else is in BlackBerry10. If I wanted Android I'd use an Android tablet.
    11-25-12 11:27 PM
    I'd rather have Blackberry10 because it looks like it will be much more promising than the recent updates to the playbook.
    11-25-12 11:32 PM
    Both together would make one nice combo
    SifJar, antiRIM and Bilaal like this.
    11-25-12 11:57 PM
    Player plus some improvements, like auto text for Android apps. Frankly, I find most native PB apps to be bloated, sluggish memory hogs, so anything that improves compatibility and performance for the myriad Android apps I use would be most welcome.

RCK

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2
    11-26-12 12:51 AM
    BB10.. I came to the PlayBook for the user interface.. I would love to see the next evolution of it..

And even if native code comes to the PlayBook very much likely that still some stuff will not work cos I'm guessing that RIM will only put the core libraries in but the game engines or any other 3rd party libraries etc which the the makers use still will need to be recompiled by the makers..
    11-26-12 04:54 AM
    Hoping for native Android code support is not realistic. Square pegs, round holes. It would also open up a whole new can of worms from a security perspective. No thank you.
    kbz1960 and Herve5 like this.
    11-26-12 05:39 AM
    I don't know about you guys, but this would be a really hard decision for me. As you know, native code compatibility would give us almost all of the Android apps. Pick one of them and tell us why you choose it.
    BlackBerry all the way, if I wanted Android would of bought Android.
    Mr Donut likes this.
    11-26-12 05:55 AM
    lol cyborg.BB10 for BLACKBERRY devices if android folk want to make money port over your stuff in the end you'll find out our kit tools are better than what your using cascades is beastly oh wait you already know that since TAT created the orignal cyborg UI.

When they work it all out in their heads and see all the money being made in this untapped revenue stream they will be quick to port their stuff over.So in the meantime if they dont want to jump on board proper they can stick with the side loading fodder.Alot of their apps wont make it to appworld anyway Its quality not quantity at BB.
    11-26-12 07:23 AM
    BB10 all the way. They will come.
    antiRIM likes this.
    11-26-12 07:53 AM
    The problem I have is that I cannot answer the questions appropriately. My understanding is that BB10 is the PBOS with the normal incremental upgrades (which the PB will get) and an modified UI for a smaller screen.

As business user, I want the PB to help me make things, my things. If native code provide access to tools I need, then that's my choice. Nonetheless, whichever choice gives the average user the apps their peers have in the marketplace, or better, is also the way to go.

So if the question is access to the top 100 or 200 apps and games that all users have, android rt is proven, bb10 not yet proven. Tablets are not big phones.
    11-26-12 08:37 AM
    blackberry 10, and hoping the RIM ecosystem becomes as good as the android one!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    11-26-12 09:39 AM
    Its all well and good having thousands of apps on android, but most of them arent very good. Alot of them are just rubbish games. i dont want all that . I just want a device that does what i need it to, i dont need a tablet that has 14 different types of egg timer. BB10 will be a big step forward. it will have video chat, all it needs now is love film app confirmed and it will have all i need
    11-26-12 10:05 AM
    I'd love an unlocked bootloader so I could actually install Android on my Playbook.
    Out of the 2 options provided though, since full Android emulation would take a big performance hit, I guess I'd prefer BB10.
    11-26-12 10:11 AM
    I'd say both would be good. We already know that BB10 is coming to the PB, but it would be a rather nice surprise if Android player got an update thrown into the mix. Not just native code support, but support for all/most APIs up to Android 4.2 (source for 4.2 has been released, it should be possible) to maximize compatibility, and perhaps some theming of Android UI elements to be more blended into BB10's UI, bridging the gap some more.

While of course it would be great if BB10 had it's own strong ecosystem, the current app ecosystem on the PB suggests that won't be the case. People keep mentioning that there are loads of poor quality apps on Android; have you seen some of the native apps available for the PB? Sure there are bad apps for Android; that is true of any and every platform. Are there more in the Google Play Store than many other platforms? Perhaps, seeing as there is less restriction and moderation going on there. Does that mean there aren't hundreds of high quality, excellent apps? Not in the slightest. I only need to glance at the dozens of apps I have on my Android phone to see plenty of brilliant apps sorely missing from the PB. Sure not every app is going to be a winner. But with such high volumes of apps, even if 10% or even 5% were good, that's still a substantial amount of excellent apps. You might have to wade through some crap to get to them, but they're there.
    antiRIM and FF22 like this.
    11-26-12 10:23 AM
    I'd say at his point, just give us folders view and we call it quit.

Maybe DLNA too but probably that's asking too much from RIM...
    11-27-12 09:24 AM
    I'd prefer BB10. The Android player doesn't have full access to all of the Playbook APIs, so even if it had full Android (most recent SDK/NDK), it wouldn't have complete access to all of the PlayBook's capabilities.
    11-27-12 10:43 AM
    Seems like i'm gonna be the first to say it but, the reason why i bought the playbook was because it was the cheapest i found. If there was an android tablet with the same specs and the same power/ storage size , i prob would of bought the android. We all know there are tons and tons of android apps, but there isn't many playbooks apps compared to the android. People say there will be tons more when blackberry 10 comes. bb10 is not on the playbook yet. No one can can tell the future to make certain that the apps for the playbook will expand a lot.
    Sorry but i looks at the current situation and would have to say i would rather the Native Code for android than bb10.
    I'm hoping i'm wrong and fingers are crossed that bb10 will make the playbook a huge success and take off with good quality apps. Right now the a lot of the apps ( even the ones you have to pay for) are crap.
    11-27-12 03:07 PM
    Seems like i'm gonna be the first to say it but, the reason why i bought the playbook was because it was the cheapest i found. If there was an android tablet with the same specs and the same power/ storage size , i prob would of bought the android. We all know there are tons and tons of android apps, but there isn't many playbooks apps compared to the android. People say there will be tons more when blackberry 10 comes. bb10 is not on the playbook yet. No one can can tell the future to make certain that the apps for the playbook will expand a lot.
    Sorry but i looks at the current situation and would have to say i would rather the Native Code for android than bb10.
    I'm hoping i'm wrong and fingers are crossed that bb10 will make the playbook a huge success and take off with good quality apps. Right now the a lot of the apps ( even the ones you have to pay for) are crap.
    Care to name the paid crap apps?
    11-27-12 03:23 PM
    I think I'd take the native code.

I'd rather just use the Android apps that are out there than just sit on my thumbs hoping that the apps I like may someday be made for PB.

I'm currently using the Android version of almost every app that is available for both just because the android versions are usually better. One prime example: Evernote.
    11-27-12 03:25 PM
    Gimme 10!

That's what she said
    kbz1960 likes this.
    11-27-12 03:33 PM
    how many google maps apps are there for 99 cents?
    there are only a hanfulf of good file managers, the rest are crap
    paid flashlight apps??
    tons of 99 cents puzzles,
    games that are free on android cost money on the playbook.
    there are even paid apps that are just shortcuts. (launchers)
    There are only a handful of good apps that i have found for the playbook.
    I have even sent messages to android dev i hopes of porting some of there apps over to the playbook.
    11-27-12 04:23 PM
    how many google maps apps are there for 99 cents?
    there are only a hanfulf of good file managers, the rest are crap
    paid flashlight apps??
    tons of 99 cents puzzles,
    games that are free on android cost money on the playbook.
    there are even paid apps that are just shortcuts. (launchers)
    There are only a handful of good apps that i have found for the playbook.
    I have even sent messages to android dev i hopes of porting some of there apps over to the playbook.
    While the others have more good apps they have their share of crap also. Google maps apps? Never tried any of them, no need.

How many crap file managers on the others?
    Flashlight? OK, no need again a webpage on this site makes a good flashlight in the dark if needed.
    Puzzles? Not your thing? Not mine either but.....
    How many others apps are just launchers? Many I believe.

Games on the pb don't have ads that the same free app has on others.

I hope some port also but I'd rather have the dev take the time to do a native app but if that ain't gonna happen I guess ports will do.

Not much on your list that is really anything other than google maps if you need google maps.
    11-27-12 04:38 PM
    Not to cause an argument, so i'm going to say IMO, android has better apps than the playbook as to date. I'm not gonna diss the playbook though. it is a fabulous piece of technology for it's price. Just wish it had better support in terms of apps, and what not.
    I really think the biggest flaw is no support from more app developers.
    11-27-12 05:29 PM
28 12