Assuming PB 1 was the test tube model, If R.I.M were to release a new model this year. How should it priced? Also, would they need to sacrifice some materials to come in at a lower price point and thereby increase the "per unit" profits of the device?

Or should they review Apple's pricing for the iPad3(which seems to set the bar in the Tablet Market. For now at least) and price a new model accordingly?

Edit: That should be "bonafide" hit. D@mn auto correct.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-06-12 at 12:32 PM.
    01-06-12 12:30 PM
    $299 for 16GB. This assumes some major improvements and a lot more apps (Android).
    01-06-12 12:37 PM
    With super polished OS 2.0 and many more apps (no later than Feb 2012): 299, 349, and 399.
    01-06-12 12:50 PM
    With super polished OS 2.0 and many more apps (no later than Feb 2012): 299, 349, and 399.
    Is the $299 price profitable? Does anyone know if $299 made any sort of profit or is that selling at a loss as well?

Maybe some less expensive materials like a non-rubberized casing?
    01-06-12 01:04 PM
    Maybe they are counting on revenue from app income streams and movie income streams etc to balance the profit margin - Or with the LTE models - perhaps the carriers make up some of the difference.

There have been some speculations in here about the cost of manufacturing - that might help answer the question.

I actually think Apple will be forced to lower their prices as they lose market share to realistically priced devices.

PS would have been easier to fix the typo than to type out a jab - just a tip for next time..
    "Edit: That should be "bonafide" hit. D@mn auto correct. "
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-06-12 at 01:38 PM.
    01-06-12 01:34 PM
    199, 299 and 399.
    01-06-12 01:36 PM
    $250. Good luck on them hitting that price point though... The software support and existing customer base doesn't exist, so the price point has to be low.
    01-06-12 01:37 PM
    This.

10 char
    01-06-12 01:41 PM
    I agree that $299 (16GB), $349(32GB), $399(64GB) and possibly $599(128GB) would be great if you thrown in LTE and *pre-paid* data option. These would then have to be no commitment prices. I'm so tired of tablet prices jumping by $300 just because it includes a cellular radio.
    01-06-12 01:42 PM
    I'd price it like this:

16GB: $249 ($224 sale price)
    32GB: $299 ($249 sale price)
    64GB: $349 ($299 sale price)

I've read (though not substantiated) that the cost on the PB is roughly $205. The goal for RIM should be to make a profit, albeit a small one, with the real goal of gaining market share and user adoption. Once the user base has grown and people have grown accustomed to/like the device, then RIM can start raising the price for subsequent generations of the product.
    01-06-12 01:43 PM
    agreed.

10 char
    01-06-12 01:45 PM
    Maybe they are counting on revenue from app income streams and movie income streams etc to balance the profit margin - Or with the LTE models - perhaps the carriers make up some of the difference.

There have been some speculations in here about the cost of manufacturing - that might help answer the question.

I actually think Apple will be forced to lower their prices as they lose market share to realistically priced devices.

PS would have been easier to fix the typo than to type out a jab - just a tip for next time..
    "Edit: That should be "bonafide" hit. D@mn auto correct. "
    I don't know how to edit the title. Only the post. I'm also using the mobile version so it may be more limited.

I don't fully understand the jab part.
    01-06-12 01:50 PM
    It needs to be cheaper than the Fire and the new rumoured Google tablet when that comes out.

So $150 in the US for a 16 or even a 32GB model.

Anything over that and it is like pushing water up hill, given its current place in the market.
    01-06-12 04:39 PM
    It needs to be cheaper than the Fire and the new rumoured Google tablet when that comes out.

So $150 in the US for a 16 or even a 32GB model.

Anything over that and it is like pushing water up hill, given its current place in the market.
    Huh?

The Playbook kicks the Fire's in performance and storage. The whole point of a Fire is that you store your stuff in "the cloud" and download it as you want it. The catch is, you'll need to maintain that Amazon Prime membership. I've heard some claim it's pretty slooooow, too. Especially compared to the PB.

The Playbook, OTOH, is built to a higher spec than the Fire (and most Android tabs, too). Even its harshest critics have praised its build quality and performance.

If they maintain the current hardware standard, improve the look/feel of the UI, and get the Video Store going I think they could get away with $249/16GB, $329/32GB, $399/64GB.
    alnamvet68 and ahsomsid like this.
    01-06-12 05:05 PM
    This sounds real good....I like price points, plus it leaves room for sales
    01-06-12 05:11 PM
    well they already have two head honcho's, i doubt they need more head honcho's from this forum to worry about that playbooks are selling like hot cakes if you ask me.....
    01-06-12 05:18 PM
    RIM should make a tablet in the $200 range but we should also have the option of getting a really great spec'd tablet for a higher price.
    01-06-12 05:29 PM
    first off RIM can never compete with apple, the ball on that was dropped along time ago.
    secondly, what killed the playbook was QNX and no apps. If they launched with a BB secure Honeycomb or ICS, or QNX with full on google market support, it would have been a different story.

Touchpad says it all, and the fire sale of the Playbook is the nail in the coffin.

If BB wants to save the playbook it needs full on droid app compatiblity. I'll root before I pay $5 for AngryBirds which is free. BB was great for email before smart phones, now the market no longer email based its a portable nerfed pc based market, aka droid and apple. a BB secure version of ICS would just rock for the playbook.

For me the Playbook has great hardware, and a great browser, (BB needs to man up and let us have free hulu, not hulu plus and fix browser) QNX is awsome in its own way, but its missing APPS to bring the people in.
    But who cares, no one but BB nuts, People buy tablets on ease of use and apps and all the fun stuff you can do with it.

The Playbook its great hardware wise, but is lacking software and that is why the playbook is the second coming of the HP touchpad.

as for price points
    16gb storage 199, 32 gb storage 249, 64 gb storage 299. Now if the Playbook had an sd chip adjust all prices + 50.
    now if BB can't compete with those prices adjust to 10% above cost of manufacturing. Flood the market that way then turn it slowly to QNX, and promise the QNX System is anti market tracking, snoopware/spyware, give it the BB secure touch.
    Last edited by jrwarren; 01-06-12 at 05:52 PM.
    Send Again and jntrup like this.
    01-06-12 05:35 PM
    As it is, $99 sounds pretty good. With a better OS and more apps, somewhere between $199 and $299 is realistic. Price point isn't the only factor to stimulate sales and interest. At a minimum, I would like to stream movies, check my Outlook email, have a decent communications program like Skype, etc. The hardware is fine for now. It just needs to do something useful.
    jntrup likes this.
    01-06-12 05:42 PM
    I have to poke my eyes out the next time I read someone say they should've put android on it LOL. I like the majorities here pricing.
    fj_cruiser likes this.
    01-06-12 05:47 PM
    Impossible.

Amazon is selling a tablet with the same form factor, almost identical looks, more function, much better media environment and made by the same manufacturer at $200. It has destroyed the 7-8 inch market. Other Android makers might have a dim hope that the availability of full Android Market can justify an additional $50.

Rim can't and has been painted into a corner.
    jntrup likes this.
    01-06-12 05:57 PM
    Impossible.

Amazon is selling a tablet with the same form factor, almost identical looks, more function, much better media environment and made by the same manufacturer at $200. It has destroyed the 7-8 inch market. Other Android makers might have a dim hope that the availability of full Android Market can justify an additional $50.

That tablet/reader lacks a lot that can not be fixed with software or apps. It's a great tablet for those who don't care. There is a market for those that do care and another for those that do not.

Yes it has more stuff. I can get that kind of stuff most anywhere. It doesn't have to be all in one nice little convenient place. I can find it, just because it isn't netflix which I have no subscription to and never have or skype doesn't mean I can't do the same things in other ways.
    01-06-12 06:05 PM
    That tablet/reader lacks a lot that can not be fixed with software or apps. It's a great tablet for those who don't care. There is a market for those that do care and another for those that do not.

Yes it has more stuff. I can get that kind of stuff most anywhere. It doesn't have to be all in one nice little convenient place. I can find it, just because it isn't netflix which I have no subscription to and never have or skype doesn't mean I can't do the same things in other ways.
    People who "do care" do not make for a big enough customer base for bonafide hits in the consumer markets. All the Linux desktop OS's can't crack 2% market share. And they are free.

Alternatively those people could just root their Fire.
    01-06-12 06:17 PM
    People who "do care" do not make for a big enough customer base for bonafide hits in the consumer markets. All the Linux desktop OS's can't crack 2% market share. And they are free.

Alternatively those people could just root their Fire.
    Still doesn't fix the missing hardware.
    01-06-12 06:18 PM
    Impossible.

This.

It's not even a fair fight anymore. I agree... they have made it tough for other Android manufacturers.

It's a different world, and Amazon (and Barnes & Noble, to a degree) are sitting pretty. Apple will continue to own the lion share, I think. Amazon is king of the scraps, and that is not a bad place to be.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    jntrup likes this.
    01-06-12 06:19 PM
111 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD