hello to all crackberry users
    i just wondered what will happen when official OS 2.0 comes out
    will we be able to sideload android apps and native apps
    or what????
    02-12-12 06:01 PM
    Don't believe so, fairly sure I read somewhere that this be closed in the final release. It only existed to allow devs to test their Android apps, and it would be a bit of a security flaw and would undermine the curated App World experience they're going for.
    02-12-12 06:12 PM
    A refinement on gtpointer's answer, based on my understanding:

I don't think it's clear that there will be any change with the first 2.0 release itself. The talk about side-loading being removed was, I believe, in conjunction with what we expect would be the first maintenance release, what we could call 2.0.1. That is expected nominally a month after 2.0 is out.

Also note that "side-loading" takes two forms. One allows signed apps to be installed permanently, with the side-loading being effectively an alternative to an App World install. The other allows unsigned apps to be installed using a "debug token", which is a time-limited (30-day) mechanism which you have to refresh every so often to keep the app functional. The latter is not, as far as I know, expected to be removed, and it would sorely inconvenience developers if it were, even if they provide some App World-based mechanism to replace the other form of side-loading (for beta tests and such).
    Lhendr and reign160 like this.
    02-12-12 06:27 PM
    i think when os 2 is released to the public, there will at first be silence and a calm the likes of which we have never known. then the trumpets will sound and the earth will shake. and the other devices will be cast into the lake of fire for a time. So it is written, so shall it be done.. feb 30th 2012..
    samson47, Lhendr, DAnklaud and 3 others like this.
    02-12-12 06:33 PM
    And in the streets the children screamed
    The lovers cried, and the poets dreamed
    But not a word was spoken
    The church bells all were broken
    And the three men I admire most-
    the Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost-
    They caught the last train for the coast
    The day the OS1 died
    And they were singing
    02-12-12 06:38 PM
    i think when os 2 is released to the public, there will at first be silence and a calm the likes of which we have never known. then the trumpets will sound and the earth will shake. and the other devices will be cast into the lake of fire for a time. So it is written, so shall it be done.. feb 30th 2012..
    Followed by a check of the calendar to ensure that it isn't actually April Fools Day.
    02-12-12 06:52 PM
    well i know i will be a very happy camper. for OS2 itself? well, yeah, but thats not what i mean.

its because there will finally be an end to all the 'when will OS2 be released? when will OS2 come out? will OS2 make me breakfast in the morning? will it hug me after a bad day at work? is it out yet? can OS2 do laundry? is OS2 the next part of the mayan calendar and we wont all die after all?' -type of threads. finally.
    samson47 and DAnklaud like this.
    02-12-12 07:15 PM
    Your preaching to the choir!
    02-12-12 07:51 PM
    well i know i will be a very happy camper. for OS2 itself? well, yeah, but thats not what i mean.

its because there will finally be an end to all the 'when will OS2 be released? when will OS2 come out? will OS2 make me breakfast in the morning? will it hug me after a bad day at work? is it out yet? can OS2 do laundry? is OS2 the next part of the mayan calendar and we wont all die after all?' -type of threads. finally.
    And a start to all the "OS2 doesn't make breakfast, hug me or do they laundry!?! What a POS!" type of threads.
    02-12-12 08:08 PM

i am thinking my smart fridge smart stove and washer runs QNX... so it possibly could. i just know i don't do it. besides, my playbook and bb gets me to mcdonalds and the laundry with gps...so it feeds me and clean me.. so yes i think it will. it also loves me back..
    02-12-12 08:18 PM
    All you need is dev-mode.
    02-12-12 08:37 PM

I don't think it's clear that there will be any change with the first 2.0 release itself. The talk about side-loading being removed was, I believe, in conjunction with what we expect would be the first maintenance release, what we could call 2.0.1. That is expected nominally a month after 2.0 is out.
    I would imagine if this happens, many of us will think long and hard about the benefits of moving from 2.0 to 2.1. There are a few compelling Android. Apps out there that I suspect many of us have which won't make it to Appworld and will warrant us staying back level.

Gail
    02-12-12 09:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD