Amidst the pressentations of the new developer components showcased at DevCon, there was a whisper of a mention of a 1.9 release of Tablet OS. I'm wondering if this will be an update that will contain the fixes to the long list of minor annoyances in advance of 2.0.

If so, when will it come and what can we expect. I think that a little communication as to what to expect with the interim update would go a long way to showing forward momentum as we approach the holliday shopping season.
    GlenB and biff101 like this.
    10-24-11 02:46 PM
    This is the first that I have heard about it as something mentioned at Devcon.
    10-24-11 02:59 PM
    Possibly this is merely an internal proposal to issue a release which contains only some of the new features slated for 2.0. The survey some of us just completed in the Beta Zone asked one question that might be gathering input about this, specifically whether we'd prefer frequent updates (e.g. monthly) with fewer features, or less frequent updates (e.g. 3-4 months) with more features.

I said "Other", indicating we need more frequent updates for now, but once the core features (e.g. PIM) are really delivered then every 3-4 months would be more appropriate.

I can't see wanting to deal with monthly updates once this product is fairly polished, but in the meantime it's extremely frustrating to be waiting on a release when some of the features may be finished but are held back because other, less urgent, features are not complete.
    10-24-11 03:42 PM
    Isn't 1.8 next?

Not sure I would want to give up 2.0...other than spell check / correction I'm pretty set!

Amazing how the cursor control in 2.0 beta has improved the enjoyment of using the PlayBook.
    10-24-11 03:45 PM
    1.0.8 would be nice

I think 1.8 and 1.9 are far, far away
    10-24-11 03:46 PM
    During the Blackberry Devcon Webcast part 2, there is mention of 1.9 around the 22 minute mark from Anders Jeppson. Although not sure if this is for the tablet os or the ShiVa 3D programming he is describing. It could be nothing.
    10-24-11 03:55 PM
    1.0.8 would be nice

I think 1.8 and 1.9 are far, far away
    Not really, considering many of us here have a 2.0 beta version right now.
    10-24-11 04:39 PM
    Amazing how the cursor control in 2.0 beta has improved the enjoyment of using the PlayBook.
    I hadn't noticed any new cursor control (relative to 1.0.7). Where are you able to see this?

(Or is it just the tweaks to the previous cursor control that you mean? I can see it's a bit different, but hadn't noticed it was a significant change.)
    10-24-11 04:47 PM
    Tell me more
    Are there arrows on the keyboard now? Is the blue pointer less laggy? What improvement did you see?
    10-27-11 03:57 AM
    I hadn't noticed any new cursor control (relative to 1.0.7). Where are you able to see this?

(Or is it just the tweaks to the previous cursor control that you mean? I can see it's a bit different, but hadn't noticed it was a significant change.)
    The cursor control has changed in browser when entering/editing URLs. It also introduced a bug with refreshing a url. The refresh button no longer works for me. It will keep open the url text box list when the page is refreshed by selecting the URL and then hitting go on the keyboard. My main use of the Playbook is the web browser and I use refresh a lot, so a couple days ago, I reverted back to OS 1.07.

I was also getting a lot of Browser closes on web pages, possibly related to some sort of advertisements. It happened on Crackberry a bit and on some pretty mainstream sites.
    Last edited by robsteve; 10-27-11 at 07:33 AM.
    10-27-11 07:30 AM
    OS1.9 fixes all those "unfinished" bits of the current OS functionality.

It's due out on the 12th of Never.
    FF22 likes this.
    10-27-11 08:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD