Shockingly I was not aware of the extra pane in my PB and noticed Zinio and Voice Notes, among other apps.
    What utility is Zinio? It seems intrusive. And Voice Notes has no instructions, and I presume it is a voice recorder, but where are the instructions to activate and playback?
    05-24-13 12:17 AM
    All Zinio is, is a "player", if you will, for digital magazines.

I've been reading Car & Driver pretty religiously since I was 14, and the back issues I couldn't bring myself to throw out drove my wife nuts. A digital subscription on Zinio saved my marriage.
    05-24-13 12:20 AM

I've been reading Car & Driver pretty religiously since I was 14, and the back issues I couldn't bring myself to throw out drove my wife nuts. A digital subscription on Zinio saved my marriage.
    It is the little things.
    djpailo likes this.
    05-24-13 12:50 AM
    Shockingly I was not aware of the extra pane in my PB and noticed Zinio and Voice Notes, among other apps.
    What utility is Zinio? It seems intrusive. And Voice Notes has no instructions, and I presume it is a voice recorder, but where are the instructions to activate and playback?
    As noted Zinio is like Kindle except for Digital Magazines. They were (still??) offering free subscriptions with new account when it was first introduced. But the app does demand Permissions otherwise you canNOT download YOUR magazines.

Just Press the Record button and you can record sounds. You can either pause and continue or stop - when stopping, you save them. They can be played back later.
    05-24-13 12:52 AM
    When recording voice notes, the sound quality is much better using earphones with the inline mic. Like the earphones that come with most phones.
    05-24-13 06:43 AM

I'm in that same boat with JP Magazine :P
    Thunderbuck likes this.
    05-24-13 06:50 AM
    I try over and over to use Zinio but the magazines just appear too small to be readable, and the PlayBook can't render them fast enough when I zoom

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 08:58 AM
    I try over and over to use Zinio but the magazines just appear too small to be readable, and the PlayBook can't render them fast enough when I zoom

Posted via CB10
    Sadly, I have to agree. You can pan and zoom, and it's certainly possible to read, but I'll agree it's not the most spectacular experience. It's the one thing I'd consider a 10" screen for. I'm very, very close to getting a larger WinRT tablet just for magazines.

Intriguingly, the display on the Z10 is so good that magazines from Newsstand are readable to me without zooming. Not easy, I'll grant, but legible. Impressive.
    05-24-13 03:20 PM
    As noted Zinio is like Kindle except for Digital Magazines. They were (still??) offering free subscriptions with new account when it was first introduced.
    Just Press the Record button and you can record sounds. You can either pause and continue or stop - when stopping, you save them. They can be played back later.
    ______
    So is it a free subscription still?
    05-24-13 06:28 PM
    I read that you should uninstall the preloaded Zinio app, then install the version from app world
    05-24-13 07:29 PM
    I converted and installed a version last night with no success on my Z10.

Posted via CB10
    05-24-13 09:04 PM
    Zinio isn't stellar, but you get a better reading experience if you use it in portrait mode.

I know, crazy. To use a PlayBook in portrait. But it works. The app doesn't get much better, don't get me wrong. It's just less stuff to render and "more" screen space to display the pages.
    05-24-13 10:02 PM
    Sadly, I have to agree. You can pan and zoom, and it's certainly possible to read, but I'll agree it's not the most spectacular experience. It's the one thing I'd consider a 10" screen for. I'm very, very close to getting a larger WinRT tablet just for magazines.

Intriguingly, the display on the Z10 is so good that magazines from Newsstand are readable to me without zooming. Not easy, I'll grant, but legible. Impressive.
    Ya, Zinio is one of the use cases where the Playbook comes up short, due to the smaller screen. Zinio and Comixology sometimes make me long for a ~10 screen to make reading easier. Windows RT tablets are looking interesting, but I'm not eager to shell out for another device just to accommodate two use cases while my Playbook handles most other activities fine.
    05-25-13 01:35 PM
    Ya, Zinio is one of the use cases where the Playbook comes up short, due to the smaller screen. Zinio and Comixology sometimes make me long for a ~10 screen to make reading easier. Windows RT tablets are looking interesting, but I'm not eager to shell out for another device just to accommodate two use cases while my Playbook handles most other activities fine.
    I'm not sure it is really a screen-size issue but one of implementation. Zinio just does not appropriately zoom/pan when reading some content.
    05-25-13 02:33 PM