Well, you don't need to switch off anything when you fly on a private jet, so I'll say it's BS. I wonder what the real reason is.
    Control. Plain and simple.
    12-20-12 03:42 PM
    Some, ahem, pharmaceuticals can help with the takeoff and landing!
    So can liberal doses of alcohol.
    12-20-12 03:43 PM
    I find it especially useful when making deliveries in caves where a number of warehouses have been established.
    12-20-12 03:46 PM
    When you turn on the airplane mode, you can fly.
    No, when you activate Airplane Mode your BlackBerry PlayBook gets wings.
    12-20-12 08:42 PM
    research has shown this has no effect on plane navigation/operation etc,,, planes are built to withstand electronic interference,,, i'd be more inclined to think it's more of a security precaution...
    Well, since we know that airplanes only stay up because everyone on board 'wills' them to stay up, I for one like the idea that this airplane mode enhances this phenomena
    12-20-12 09:28 PM
    Just an NPR story on this issue this morning. Senator McCaskill (sp) has asked FAA to do more or will introduce legislation. I just don't want cellphones all around me yakking!!!!
    making a headset mandatory would ease the pain...
    12-20-12 09:47 PM
    Keeps airplane aloft.
    there is no risk in having service on. the reason they wont come out and say "its fine you can all turn your cell phones on" because they still want to have a quiet and controlled audience on the plane. Can you imagine 300 people on there cell phones?
    12-20-12 10:00 PM
    there is no risk in having service on. the reason they wont come out and say "its fine you can all turn your cell phones on" because they still want to have a quiet and controlled audience on the plane. Can you imagine 300 people on there cell phones?
    Yes, I can - that's why I don't want cell phones!
    seamonky and Angus_CB like this.
    12-20-12 11:04 PM
    I believe airplane mode was originally made to quickly turn off all radios at once - cellular signal, bluetooth, wireless, gps, etc... I'm sure this was for the fears of the effects of radio signal interference with the plane.

These days, it just helps to save battery. If you're in an area where there is no signal whatsoever, your phone will usually use much more battery just to search for a signal. The impact is more prominent if you have/leave 3g/4g on. So if you want a faster charge, or expect to be in an area where there's no reception, use airplane mode.
    12-21-12 12:03 PM
    On a related note Boeing Uses Potatoes For In-Air WiFi Testing � CBS St. Louis

You can't beat the good old potato for versatility.
    12-23-12 04:06 PM
    That's right, depending on option settings the device will sprout wings or rotors and transport you aloft.
    Can rotorwrench confirm or deny this statement?
    12-23-12 05:24 PM
    On a related note Boeing Uses Potatoes For In-Air WiFi Testing � CBS St. Louis

You can't beat the good old potato for versatility.
    Finally, some decent in-flight snacks...a raw potato after the "juiced" has been exhausted. Yum. Yum.
    12-23-12 05:25 PM
    Noisier than a hen house on a farm. I avoid the cateferia / food court areas of malls and other buildings because it is too noisy. Even a group of five people can produce a deafening noise level which causes headaches. I don't care your boyfriend was screwing the lightbulb with your BFF. Tell your MBA-touting boss to shut his mouth before I slam his head into the seatback in front of him; he ain't that important to the world despite his delusions of grandeur. And please put a soother in the mouth of the five screaming babies; use gum desenstizer cream if the baby is teething on an airplane. Thank Allah I can avoid flying.
    12-23-12 05:35 PM

It could also be that the airlines want the $25 a minute or whatever it is from those seat back phones.
    Pretty much every airline that had Airfone devices on their planes have removed them in recent years. Verizon sold Airfone to LiveTV (which is owned by JetBlue Airlines) and the service is marketed towards the business aviation market these days. Earlier this year, LiveTV reached a deal with GoGo Inflight Internet to sell Airfone to them mainly for the 1 MHz spectrum Airfone has the rights to, but no word on if the deal has been approved and when it will close.

I've never put my PlayBook into airplane mode, as I don't use Bluetooth all that much unless I'm using Bridge and whenever I fly, it's never on. The GPS receiver in the tablet is fine as normal GPS units are allowed to be used in flight on most airlines once passengers are allowed to turn on electronic devices. To me, Airplane Mode is a CYOA thing that the cell-phone and tablet makers created.
    12-23-12 05:43 PM
    research has shown this has no effect on plane navigation/operation etc,,, planes are built to withstand electronic interference,,, i'd be more inclined to think it's more of a security precaution...
    According to a pilot I know, some electronic devices have been known to produce a high pitched sounds in the pilot's head phones/radio. It has absolutely nothing to do with interference with any of the plane's electronics. It just pisses the pilots off. That is the sole reason why the airlines want all electronic devices turned off.
    12-23-12 06:47 PM
    I'll bet your friend has never experienced this himself though.
    12-24-12 04:52 AM
    I have never heard someone's music 4 rows away. Most planes are so noisy, I can barely hear my own music with headphones on.
    12-24-12 10:38 AM
    I have never heard someone's music 4 rows away. Most planes are so noisy, I can barely hear my own music with headphones on.
    Hehehe - I was exagerating for effect. But yes, I often hear people who feel the need to 'share their tunes' with people in the rows ahead, behind and across by cranking the tunes. Usually rap, dance or hip hop. :-)
    12-24-12 10:46 AM
    Hehehe - I was exagerating for effect. But yes, I often hear people who feel the need to 'share their tunes' with people in the rows ahead, behind and across by cranking the tunes. Usually rap, dance or hip hop. :-)
    And it can only get worse as those listeners become more and more hearing impaired and crank it higher to overcome the growing impairments!
    Angus_CB and RubberChicken76 like this.
    12-24-12 11:15 AM
    If only they would spend a few more dollars (your currency here) on quality isolating or noise cancelling earphones instead of using the ones that came with their device.
    RubberChicken76 likes this.
    12-24-12 12:29 PM
45 12