Which Rogers package are you on?? Would give us the opportunity to decode what your current plan is, and what package at TekSavvy would be equivalent. As for regular TVs, unless you start hooking things up to the internet via Apple TV or similar set-top box, you basically have three options for watching TV channels: Rogers, Bell or Antenna. I'm not sure how well antenna works for multiple TVs, and you are limited to 12-20 channels. So antenna may work, but it depends on what you are planning to watch. If you watch specialty channels, you may be stuck with Rogers or Bell unfortunately.
    So, just to get back on topic, Tovento asked what my wifi pkg is in TORONTO, so here it is:

Hi speed lite pkg
    usage allowance = 20 gigs
    Download speed = 6 Mbps
    Upload speed = up to 256 Kbps
    Price = $44.49 + (all rip off tax)

I believe I can get a better deal. So what else that's better are people getting in a downtown Toronto house?
    01-30-14 10:04 AM
    Sorry for hijacking your thread

Hope you find something cheaper. Usually prices are better in the centre of the Universe than they are at the end of the earth down here.
    01-30-14 10:09 AM
    So, just to get back on topic, Tovento asked what my wifi pkg is in TORONTO, so here it is:

Hi speed lite pkg
    Download speed = 6 Mbps

I believe I can get a better deal. So what else that's better are people getting in a downtown Toronto house?
    To find out what options you can get from Teksavvy go to

TekSavvy - DSL
    and
    TekSavvy - Cable

Enter your postal code and you will get a better idea of what they can provide.
    01-30-14 10:37 AM
    Sorry for hijacking your thread

Hope you find something cheaper. Usually prices are better in the centre of the Universe than they are at the end of the earth down here.
    Hijack away - I'm sure there are many people looking for this type of info.

I was just trying to ensure that the info requested didn't get lost
    01-30-14 11:40 AM

Hi speed lite pkg
    Download speed = 6 Mbps
    also,
    20 gigabites
    used 7 gigabites
    home network gateway rental
    modem and router in one pkg
    internet files printers anywherein the home
    multiple user access
    highest use over month=10 to 11gigs

I should also add this information:
    with having the 20 gigabites,
    last month I only used 7 gigabites
    Hardware is : home network gateway rental
    internet files printers anywhere in the home
    multiple user access
    01-30-14 11:47 AM
    I should also add this information:
    with having the 20 gigabites,
    last month I only used 7 gigabites
    Hardware is : home network gateway rental
    internet files printers anywhere in the home
    multiple user access
    Do you have a separate box for cable?
    Do you have yet another separate box for phone?
    01-30-14 12:04 PM
    Do you have a separate box for cable?
    Do you have yet another separate box for phone?
    That's an interesting question.
    When my land phone rings, I have a caller ID pops up on my tv screen.
    It's set up on a special rogers tv channel. Its pretty neat, cause if its a telemarketer, or unkwn caller ID/ unkwn number, you just press a button on the remote to automatically send the phone to call answer.

So land phone, TV and cable are all tied into one main box.
    There is a separate box for the main TV (for VIP channels).
    01-30-14 12:41 PM
    It's set up on a special rogers tv channel. Its pretty neat, cause if its a telemarketer, or unkwn caller ID/ unkwn number, you just press a button on the remote to automatically send the phone to call answer.

Ok so since all your services seem to be bound to one box from Rogers with an ancillary box for vip channels.

I just checked and it is possible to get cable from Rogers and internet from Teksavvy.
    I assume that means you can still have your phone with Rogers as well.

Not sure but I strongly suspect on DSL you can't have tv from Bell and internet from Teksavvy.
    I would have to talk to Bell and I just don't want to do that.

if you really want to get away from Rogers and Bell the options as I see them are.

for tv some combination of over the air, netflix and crackle.
    for phone fongo, magic jack and vonage.
    for internet Teksavvy.

netflix, crackle and each of the phone services require you to have hi-speed internet.
    If you are going to you netflix and crackle for your daily tv fix you will need to get lots more than your current 20 gigs per month.
    Oh and don't forgot to mention internet movie rentals.
    We have an xbox 360 as our set top box and it gives two internet movie rental applications.
    01-30-14 01:14 PM
    Ok so since all your services seem to be bound to one box from Rogers with an ancillary box for vip channels.

I just checked and it is possible to get cable from Rogers and internet from Teksavvy.
    I assume that means you can still have your phone with Rogers as well.

Not sure but I strongly suspect on DSL you can't have tv from Bell and internet from Teksavvy.
    I would have to talk to Bell and I just don't want to do that.

if you really want to get away from Rogers and Bell the options as I see them are.

for tv some combination of over the air, netflix and crackle.
    for phone fongo, magic jack and vonage.
    for internet Teksavvy.

netflix, crackle and each of the phone services require you to have hi-speed internet.
    If you are going to you netflix and crackle for your daily tv fix you will need to get lots more than your current 20 gigs per month.
    Oh and don't forgot to mention internet movie rentals.
    We have an xbox 360 as our set top box and it gives two internet movie rental applications.
    Well, for all tv programs and movies beyond my vip, I just stream them for free on my playbook, so that also helps to keep the internet and tv costs down.
    As I mentioned above approx 7 gigs is my mthly average usage.
    I think if I start with looking at separate wifi and cell, that will be a good start.
    Also, I've checked teksavy, but the DSL numbers confuse me.
    Is there a way to know what 'DSL' I have now (I have more than enough, as I never reach my limit of usage stated above)
    01-30-14 02:33 PM
    Well, for all tv programs and movies beyond my vip, I just stream them for free on my playbook, so that also helps to keep the internet and tv costs down.
    As I mentioned above approx 7 gigs is my mthly average usage.
    I think if I start with looking at separate wifi and cell, that will be a good start.
    Also, I've checked teksavy, but the DSL numbers confuse me.
    Is there a way to know what 'DSL' I have now (I have more than enough, as I never reach my limit of usage stated above)
    I just sent you a pm

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using CB Forums mobile app
    01-30-14 02:49 PM

So, you obviously you have everything through Rogers. What are you trying to get rid of? Rogers all together, or just the internet? If just the internet, then you can switch to an ISP like Teksavvy. Seems like plans which could work for you might be in the range of $25-30 plus tax? Type in your postal code on the site to find out. You have a 6MBps connection through Rogers. Don't worry about the cap...Teksavvy will give you more GB of data.

The problem is that you have phone and TV through Rogers. If you are looking to drop Rogers for those services, the only other option is Bell. Not sure that you would get that TV caller ID, etc with Bell, though. Is there a particular reason you are trying to switch from Rogers? Reason I ask is that if you keep phone/tv with them, you may lose the bundling discounts. If you really aren't picky, you can call them up and negotiate a better monthly rate.
    01-30-14 03:41 PM
    Tried the android Fongo app on my wallymart tablet and I was surprised with the call quality. Volume on the tab was low but otherwise it was good. May try to sideload this for playbook
    castoridae likes this.
    01-30-14 05:47 PM
    Tried the android Fongo app on my wallymart tablet and I was surprised with the call quality. Volume on the tab was low but otherwise it was good. May try to sideload this for playbook
    Do you have a headset?
    castoridae likes this.
    01-30-14 05:57 PM
    Do you have a headset?
    Yes. I tried with headphones and it was still quiet. Found the settings and there is a gain for both volume and microphone. All good now
    01-30-14 07:55 PM
    I had similar doubts when I moved to Toronto three years back. After so much searching, I got high speed internet services from terago networks, Toronto. I never regretted that decision. The internet was stable and fast. We are getting quick and good service and most importantly, they are not very expensive for the plan we are using. Since I have been working from home a lot of times every month, the internet plan we bought was unlimited at 20 Mbps. I use VoIP and Video calling often and my wife is used to streaming videos a lot. My kid plays online games occasionally. None of us ever had any issue.
    08-04-14 10:05 PM
    We finally cut the Rogers cord. Went dsl with teksaavy and over the air antenna. For cell we use Wind. If interested not the need of my son as to his certification program and games, I could dump the dsl and use the unlimited data from my phone and the Playbook. Because for now we need the dsl, we do subscribe to Netflix. There is nothing I do with a computer that needs a laptop, desktop or, other and the PB does what I need. I do have a HDMI cable from it to the television and watch YouTube and downloads from some other sites.

I too am retired but was just fed up with Rogers and Bell seemed no better for television. Once I started looking at it, the project blossomed. We still have the landline as my wife does not totally trust just the cell service and need it for dsl. I suspect when our son moves on we will cut the landline and dsl, going strictly with Wind's unlimited data plan and using bluetooth to connect it to the PB. That saves about $100 per month. The OTA antenna we use now was $25 but we are looking at an outdoor to get into the States more reliably and that will cost about $300 installed. We currently get 21 channels of which 1 is not used as it in French while 14 come in reliably.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-05-14 08:47 PM
    don't know about TO but out here in YYC I'm with SHAW lite running internet thru a 3-4yr old S85101 surfboard cable modem with my cisco/valetplus.

NO problems with wifi connection for BB PB !! Nor with the desktop hardwired nor the laptop either hardwired or via wifi.

But then we don't have TVs running thru the 'net , taking up bandwidth either ....

nite.
    08-06-14 11:55 PM
    In Calgary,

I cancelled Shaw Internet (60/m) and went to Nucleus (40/m). I cancelled shaw TV (70/m) and moved to IP TV (20/m, Netflix, Hulu and Unblock Me). And I cancelled Shaw Phone (40/m) and went to Ooma (10/m)

Which brought me down from about 170 plus taxes to about 60 plus taxes.

Finally I cancelled our 2 phones on Rogers from 190/m to Bell at 160/m. But we've now moved those to Wind Mobile for 60/m.

So now I'm down from 360/m to about 120. Not bad! As for running your own routers. I have 4 now. One in each room. For the average household they are practically plug and play these days.

Posted via CB from my LE
    08-07-14 12:08 AM
    ok, finally things are happening - making the move from Rogers - going with Teksavy for cable internet. 75 gigs for their lowest price about $35 + tax. It will be more than I need since the 25 gigs from rogers is slow, but enough gigs
    phone will be 2 steps: called rogers to get my land phone number changed over to my cheap doro phone, basically that automatcally cancels the land phone but I get to keep my main land number which I've had for years. Just bought a Z10 off eBay which I will use with Wind for their cheapest plan $25. I've got 3 playbooks so I'm going to love connecting them. Internet will be cable teksavy. I'm probably going to buy an antenna tv cause most tv stuff I can get free online with the playbook and getting the extra gigs from tekksavy, I'll be fine. Just waiting, as it takes a couple of days to switch the land phone number to the cell phone.
    10-05-14 07:09 AM
    I live in the westend so if you get stuck when setting up anything, PM me and I'll try to help in person or through the phone ;p

ok, finally things are happening - making the move from Rogers - going with Teksavy for cable internet. 75 gigs for their lowest price about $35 + tax. It will be more than I need since the 25 gigs from rogers is slow, but enough gigs
    phone will be 2 steps: called rogers to get my land phone number changed over to my cheap doro phone, basically that automatcally cancels the land phone but I get to keep my main land number which I've had for years. Just bought a Z10 off eBay which I will use with Wind for their cheapest plan $25. I've got 3 playbooks so I'm going to love connecting them. Internet will be cable teksavy. I'm probably going to buy an antenna tv cause most tv stuff I can get free online with the playbook and getting the extra gigs from tekksavy, I'll be fine. Just waiting, as it takes a couple of days to switch the land phone number to the cell phone.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 07:30 AM
    I live in the westend so if you get stuck when setting up anything, PM me and I'll try to help in person or through the phone ;p
    Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the offer - you're a good guy! - I'm in the westend too - Bloor/Oz
    10-05-14 07:53 AM
    In Calgary,

I cancelled Shaw Internet (60/m) and went to Nucleus (40/m). I cancelled shaw TV (70/m) and moved to IP TV (20/m, Netflix, Hulu and Unblock Me). And I cancelled Shaw Phone (40/m) and went to Ooma (10/m)

Which brought me down from about 170 plus taxes to about 60 plus taxes.

Finally I cancelled our 2 phones on Rogers from 190/m to Bell at 160/m. But we've now moved those to Wind Mobile for 60/m.

So now I'm down from 360/m to about 120. Not bad! As for running your own routers. I have 4 now. One in each room. For the average household they are practically plug and play these days.

Posted via CB from my LE
    Did Shaw charge you for leaving them? Were you on contract?
    10-05-14 07:55 AM
    Thanks for the offer - you're a good guy! - I'm in the westend too - Bloor/Oz
    Ah not that far away from my place - Keele and St. Clair area. Don't hesitate to contact me if you're stuck with something. You're getting a Z10 soon right? My BBM PIN is 2BA1CED4 or just send a private message.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 08:12 AM
    Ah not that far away from my place - Keele and St. Clair area. Don't hesitate to contact me if you're stuck with something. You're getting a Z10 soon right? My BBM PIN is 2BA1CED4 or just send a private message.

Posted via CB10
    I was up that way all the time when I first bought my house - great shopping at the stockyards!!
    Question: where do I find my blackberry pin #? - I have 3 playbooks and when Bb detected another playbook, I told it to use the same number, so I never really looked it up.
    10-05-14 08:33 AM
    Unfortunately BBM cannot be installed on the PlayBook. But you could send me a private message and we could keep in touch through email or by phone (I think we cannot post our emails/numbers on crackberry forums) and I would be more than happy to help out with setups and stuff ;p.

A lot of shops like Target and Dollarama have been open for quite a while now at the Stockyards so it's a great area to shop. Canadian Tire, Home Depot, Future Shop within walking distance nearby so it's very convenient now. I remember it used to be a farmland in this area like 20 years ago. Hopefully they'll get rid of that butcher place as it smells horrible in the summer lol.

I was up that way all the time when I first bought my house - great shopping at the stockyards!!
    Question: where do I find my blackberry pin #? - I have 3 playbooks and when Bb detected another playbook, I told it to use the same number, so I never really looked it up.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-14 09:15 AM
77 1234