would you rather have native email first or android player first in an update? I for one would rather have android player so we might actually get some apps on the device. I've been reading some forums stating app makers are just waiting for the android player so they can just port their apps over rather than recreate them.

What would you rather have first?

native email

android player
    06-21-11 12:54 PM
    android player for sure. probably 95% of the "basic" apps are just waiting to see whether their app will run in the android player before they even consider developing a new app for PlayBook. This is understandable, but I want the Android player out so we can get lots of nice apps.
    06-21-11 12:58 PM
    Considering the limitations of the Android Player and the lack of apps that will probably result, they're probably better off working on the Basics like email first.
    06-21-11 01:03 PM
    how bout both? really doesnt seem like to much to ask. They said 60 days for native email and PIM and you see where we are with that now.

Android player wont see any benefits immediately as it takes a few weeks to get an app thru app world anyway.
    06-21-11 01:09 PM
    Well, neither are really on my personal top list, would rather see some good native apps.

Since android player seems to be the way to bring in developers, Ill go with that.

Native e-mail is overrated
    anon(3896606) likes this.
    06-21-11 02:33 PM
    Native e-mail for sure, even if it's just to quiet the naysayers. Personally I'd like to see RIM do some work on the primitive media player app, but that's just me.
    06-21-11 02:37 PM
    Android player for sure, I have email on my 9650....and I can wait a little longer for native email. The bridge is ok for now.
    06-21-11 02:41 PM
    ya, I need some apps for this thing, I like the bridge concept. How many different places do I need to check my mail anyway!
    06-21-11 03:17 PM
    Native PIM to be honest, I'm more interested in Calendar and Contacts being available.
    Its nice while to talk one the phone your setting an appointment in your calendar/reminder.

Android would be nice, but I'd rather the Native SDK get launched and developers use that...
    06-21-11 03:40 PM
    If I didn't already have a BB phone, I'd want the Native PIM, since I do have a BB phone, I want the Android Player.
    06-21-11 03:57 PM
    email and pim for me
    06-21-11 04:30 PM
    Android player is not going to be as big of a deal as some think. In fact, I suspect it will be a letdown for most people.
    raremage likes this.
    06-21-11 04:44 PM
    Android player is not going to be as big of a deal as some think. In fact, I suspect it will be a letdown for most people.
    +1, the release of Android Player does not mean that inmediatly every Android app will become available, first theres a ton of apps that use native calls that will probably not work and seccond, Developers have to submitt their android apps to RIM to be packaged and distributed though App World and then they are competing to pass though the same bottleneck we have right now with regular apps.At least that's how I understand it, please correct me if I'm worng...

So, native email seems to be a lot more important in my opinion, not that I will use it as I'm just fine with bridge to my Torch, but a lot of people without a BB smartphone would me more interested in buying the playbook if native email is there which would of course improve sales and install base which will in turn cause developers to build more apps for it, end result: we don't need no stinking Android player...
    Last edited by Lumute; 06-21-11 at 04:59 PM.
    anon(3896606) and howarmat like this.
    06-21-11 04:56 PM
    APPS, I like the bridge, no need for native e-mail, but that's just me.
    Just Me likes this.
    06-21-11 05:45 PM
    I love the bridge so personally android player... But they really need to get this no native PIM monkey of their back ASAP. It is a big distraction and really limits the amount of people that even consider the device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-21-11 05:50 PM
    seeing as native email will already run on my 9700 id have to say android player for sure.
    06-21-11 05:53 PM
    Bold 9900.
    06-21-11 06:03 PM
    +1, the release of Android Player does not mean that inmediatly every Android app will become available, first theres a ton of apps that use native calls that will probably not work and seccond, Developers have to submitt their android apps to RIM to be packaged and distributed though App World and then they are competing to pass though the same bottleneck we have right now with regular apps.At least that's how I understand it, please correct me if I'm worng...

So, native email seems to be a lot more important in my opinion, not that I will use it as I'm just fine with bridge to my Torch, but a lot of people without a BB smartphone would me more interested in buying the playbook if native email is there which would of course improve sales and install base which will in turn cause developers to build more apps for it, end result: we don't need no stinking Android player...
    correct on all part from everything i understand also. It sounds good in theory but the execution is still to be seen
    06-21-11 06:12 PM
    Email and NDK
    06-21-11 06:28 PM
    BOTH!!! Same update...would shut EVERYONE up very fast...
    06-21-11 07:16 PM
    native email to stop all this complaining, personally until i get rid of my torch i wont care. android apps are gunna be the only way to get the plethora of apps because all these missing app developers are lazy and i know thats what they are waiting for....

06-21-11 07:28 PM
    native email first, then native apps, then android player.
    06-21-11 07:32 PM
    Native PIM. Most all their competitors have it in their tablets. It should be considered a basic function.
    06-21-11 08:17 PM
    android player. bridge works fine for reading email. so unless pim ads spell check i dont need it.

06-21-11 09:00 PM
    I'll vote for the android player, I just get the need for native email, I have no trouble getting my email on my phone or on my playbook. maybe I just don't get what native email is all about. I need business apps, contract maker, easy release, zinio, square. things like that.
    06-21-11 09:27 PM
56 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD