Apple announces the iPhone 7 - to be released in 3 months time - All of Apple's HQs/Offices etc blow up - Every Apple employe dies - The World forgets about Apple and its future products - 3 months go by no iPhone 7...

IT WAS A LIE!
    actually, Thor said it was coming and now its not hence he lied. what's not to get ?
    barracuda, Nefiasm's example is more valid than yours. It's only a lie if Thorsten never intended on releasing BB10 for playbook, ever, but still claimed it to be in the works. A change of plans/priorities does not equal lying, and the only way to know for sure is if he admits to it. Calling him a liar would be liken to calling you a liar for initially claiming to take a **** in an hour. However, you lacked the urge and didn't do as "promised".
    07-02-13 08:47 AM
    Kevin should ask Thor what the strategy is for transitioning BB into a software-only company. Let's not kid ourselves, BB10 hardware isn't a sustainable line of business when shipments are a percentage point of what your rivals are achieving. If the Aristo ever makes it to market, I expect it to be the last BB10 device as the company transitions into a mobile device management oriented shop.

And guys, enough about the Playbook. I understand that Thorsten lied, but in the wider world, he did no more damage to BB's name because the market had already written off the Playbook back in 2011.
    He just alianated customers, exactly when they are in desparate need of them. IIt's nice to discuss with people that are not blind enough to see that BBRY lied at their customers. They brought forward a dumb excuse, the question is if alienating supporters in so clever in the current sotuation. The whole thing could have handled completely differently:

A monthly update on progress, a much earlier: 'Sorry' we can't follow the plans we originally had anymore ...we're still working hard to still bring some kinb of smaller update to keep our customers all happy, etc. But insulting their supporters with ignoring the PLaybook just to tell use stupid excuses now is unforgivable!
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-02-13 08:48 AM
    Unfortunately, broken promises do affect the market, as does failing to make a profit.

And lets all be honest here, BB10 certainly isn't finished, cos it still lacks quite a bit of basic functionality and updates aren't exactly flying out the door frm BBRY - reminds me of the PB situation and shows BBRY have learnt nothing from the last 2 years, except a whole new raft of platitudes.
    Can't finish OS10 because they are now working on finishing OS7

Posted via CB10
    07-02-13 08:50 AM
    Dudes. Give it up. Heins has bigger problems than the PlayBook and delivering OS 10 on it. The company is collapsing and it will become a penny stock in months.

Posted via CB10
    A little over-dramatic ...
    07-02-13 08:51 AM
    Heins has bigger problems than the PlayBook and delivering OS 10 on it.
    Apple will release new iPhones (a entry level iPhone version) in September, probably they will sell 5 million units in few days and gain million of costumers.
    I know many BB and Android users who will move to iOS in September.
    BB is collapsing and it will become a penny stock in months.
    Z10 was launch one month ago, already have a 200 Euros price drop in my country, even with this killer price is not selling. This means big problems on the way.
    You can have the best product on the universe, but if your not selling it is worthless.
    So mouth to mouth propaganda and happy supporters would be one key issue...but they killed that part effectively with the "no PB update" even I admit that selling no BB10 phones is the greater one. The problem is that no "BB10on PB update" also effects the "No BB10 phone sold" problem!
    07-02-13 08:52 AM
    I simply don't understand all the backbiters. If we are successful in getting Heins' attention and forcing the company to fulfill its promises by pushing out a BB10-lite update, it will be good for the company (as I've written about in earlier posts) and good for hundreds of thousands of users. Why would you stand in the way of such an effort?

We're not b'tching or gunning for thorsten's scalp. All we want is what was promised to us by the CEO of the company as recently as three months ago. As many have stated, pushing out this update would be almost effortless for BB, costing pennies to satisfy hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of longtime loyal customers.

Plenty of companies make mistakes, but have the wisdom and decency to listen to their customers and heal the damage they caused to their brand. If even a behemoth like Microsoft can learn from its mistakes and give its customers what they demand, there is no reason that BlackBerry isn't capable of doing the same, again, at almost no cost or effort.
    kraschute and schwede like this.
    07-02-13 08:53 AM
    Why don't you all buy a single share in BB and go along yourselves?

I don't think they are that expensive right now.
    FF22 and heepman like this.
    07-02-13 08:55 AM
    IIt's nice to discuss with people that are not blind enough to see that BBRY lied at their customers.
    I agree with your post, but I have trouble with the word "lied". People are throwing it around a lot without looking at the meaning of it.

For all the folks who say, "BlackBerry lied ..."

- Have you ever made a mistake in your life?
    - Have you ever thought you could do something that turned out to be a lot harder than anticipated?
    - Have you ever had the best intentions to do something but had to make a tough choice and abandon plans?

In short, are you perfect in every way? :-)

I agree completely - they went back on a promise. They said they were going to do it and in the end, couldn't do it (for whatever reason).

However, "lied" implies that Thorsten Heins was telling people this in public with no intention of ever doing it, no work ever having been done on it and no plans ever drawn up at any point to work on it.

To me, it's semantic, but I don't think he 'lied'. I think he thought they could, then it turned out to be a lot more work than anticipated relative to the small size and future opportunities and he made a tough call after doing a fair bit of work on it.

It sucks. I'm disappointed. I wish they did do it. I think, 1 GB or not, they could have found a way to substantially improve the PlayBook experience with it.

But not that he 'lied. '
    schwede, Eskibo and bp3dots like this.
    07-02-13 08:58 AM
    barracuda, Nefiasm's example is more valid than yours. It's only a lie if Thorsten never intended on releasing BB10 for playbook, ever, but still claimed it to be in the works. A change of plans/priorities does not equal lying, and the only way to know for sure is if he admits to it. Calling him a liar would be liken to calling you a liar for initially claiming to take a **** in an hour. However, you lacked the urge and didn't do as "promised".
    I cannot believe your still defending them. if what you quoted me on was not valid picture this

its your birthday and you were promised an exquisit cake and you were told people were baking said cake but then last min this cake was destroyed (not accidently dropped, because this would be acceptable. still dissapointing but acceptable). At this point even a smaller consolation cake would be acceptable as saying I'm sorry your other cake was destroyed but hey at least you got some cake. but that is not the case. the cake was destroyed. and that's it
    07-02-13 09:01 AM
    I would start with, "so long, and thanks for all the fish"..........

C
    Barracuda7772 and sad_old_man like this.
    07-02-13 09:29 AM
    Wow, there is still major drama going on here. Makes for interesting reading.

I can understand how BB as a company has disappointed their customers. But as individuals who own the PB and other BB products, for the most part many of us bought the PB when it was discounted. We are talking $100-200 or so? Is the PB such a great tablet that tears have to be shed? It's amazing how some users here are such hard core loyalists to BB and just can't say 'to hell with it, I'm getting a new tablet' and move on. Like many here, I was waiting on BB10 for my PB but got to a point it wasn't worth waiting anymore, that the tablet was depreciating fast, and I couldn't do on it what I wanted anyway. So I sold it and got a Note 8 and couldn't be happier.

On a related note, its funny how BB struggled to get an Android player working on the PB and then a couple of weeks ago Samsung released that 13" dual OS tablet that, with one button, can switch from Win8 to Android and back again. Good job Samsung!
    07-02-13 09:29 AM
    I agree with your post, but I have trouble with the word "lied". People are throwing it around a lot without looking at the meaning of it.

- Have you ever thought you could do something that turned out to be a lot harder than anticipated?
    - Have you ever had the best intentions to do something but had to make a tough choice and abandon plans?

I agree completely - they went back on a promise. They said they were going to do it and in the end, couldn't do it (for whatever reason).

However, "lied" implies that Thorsten Heins was telling people this in public with no intention of ever doing it, no work ever having been done on it and no plans ever drawn up at any point to work on it.

To me, it's semantic, but I don't think he 'lied'. I think he thought they could, then it turned out to be a lot more work than anticipated relative to the small size and future opportunities and he made a tough call after doing a fair bit of work on it.

It sucks. I'm disappointed. I wish they did do it. I think, 1 GB or not, they could have found a way to substantially improve the PlayBook experience with it.

But not that he 'lied. '
    This would definitely be considered giving them the benefit of the doubt.

At the end of the day...they once again have failed to execute. Its the same old story and people are angry.

Give us anything...any kind of pbos update.... Its been quite a while since we've seen any kind of substantial update to the playbook. They clearly haven't been working on it at all and I understand why people are mad and truly believe they lied about bringing bb10 to the pb just so they could clear inventory.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    07-02-13 09:32 AM
    I bought my PB in Sept 2011 & still use it every day. That said, I too was looking forward to the BB10 update & all the advantages it would bring. I'm not sure whether there was a miscommunication within BBRY, they jumped the gun on saying it was coming, or (as some have suggested) they wanted to sell off the rest of the Playbooks. We'll probably never know for sure.

At the risk of sounding like a simpleton, when someone asks me if I can do something & I'm not sure it's possible I respond in kind. I would have appreciated something along the lines of "While we would love to be able to tell you that BB10 will absolutely come to all Playbooks we're not certain it will be possible. We are testing it at this time & will give you further information when we have something concrete to relay." Then monthly or so give us an update on progress. I'm no CEO & I realize that some are also eager for news & would probably bug them for answers, but at least it would have felt more honest. Just my humble opinion.
    07-02-13 09:41 AM
    BBRY and Heins could have had the decency to keep PB users informed throughout the entire ordeal of waiting for BB10. Instead, they kept silent through the first half of the year after Heins publicly stated that BB10 was coming to PB, even going as far as not mentioning anything PB-related at the recent developer events.

That's suicide for a company that needs every single customer it can get. This is the age of social networking, for goodness sake, tweeting regular updates would have been enough to keep loyal customers and developers happy.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice...
    07-02-13 10:24 AM

But not that he 'lied. '
    The problem is that this is not their first time of this exact same mistake. They have a chronic issue with saying things that they do not deliver on. This destroys credibility, it upsets customers, and is in no way good for business. They basically made it sound like they weren't going to do anything for the PlayBook customers at all because it is no longer in their plans and that is it. If that is what they do then you have just created probably somewhere between 500,000 to a million people who will bad mouth your company.
    victorshikhman and FF22 like this.
    07-02-13 10:28 AM
    You don't understand even it is so easy...people bought the PB beause it was advertised everywhere that it'll get BB10. My current Playbooks can't do proper IMAP folder mapping so email is useless. They do not provide DLNA even this was always promised, delayed and then promised later with BB10. Result is we can't use ourPlaybooks as media controllers in the house. The browser often just crashes, so even browsing isn't a great experience. I'm bound to a BB viedo chat only, but have no Skype, no proper messaging account integration, no full messaging when BBM comes to other platforms, so even for this the PB is pretty useless. Also when buying the PB it wasn't promised a nearly empty App store. People had a 1000 reasons to wait for BB10 and if you did not then you very personally have too low expectations. Just because you let yourself being fooled by a company not everyone else must do the same...capiche? You sound like a castrated person who is happy that he still has a very beautiful voice for singing :-)
    I understand very well. You bought a product. It doesn't do some things youd like it to, but you bought it anyway. Now you're upset that the promised update that you leveraged your purchasing decision isn't coming. Should you be upset? Sure. Should the CEO be accosted at the shareholder meeting by a rabid fan site head? No.

YOU made the decision to buy something that wasn't what you needed/wanted at the time of purchase. Period. Now, in the real world, sometimes, shi!t happens. So, when I decide to buy something, I buy what I know will fit my needs NOW. Not what may fit them later. If something fits them better later, I upgrade when I am able to.

I also understand that Kevin is a journalist, and can't go ranting and raving at TH because a bunch of PB owners are all sore about the update not coming. Its not professional, and its counterproductive. Throwing temper tantrums like childern who didn't get a toy is not what I would expect of so many people who repeatedly try to make their platform look better by saying its for "serious people, professionals, business people, etc" (That's not everyone here, there have been some reasonable ideas of things Kevin should ask.)

Also, you are the second person to thrown in a personal attack at me in this thread. Sad that your argument must hold so little water, and that you are so emotional about this that you have to resort to that. I have been nothing but level headed, and respectful in this conversation, and I would expect to be treated the same, though, judging by some of the responses, I may not be dealing with people with an understanding of manners.
    07-02-13 11:12 AM
    I am still not sure why anyone really thought it was coming to Playbook. Aside from Heins' non-promise that it was "the plan" to bring BB10 to Playbook, all the "body language" coming from Waterloo was that it would be a cold day in hell before BB10 arrived on Playbook, and Kevin's observation on this very site about the inadequacy of the hardware should have left no doubt about the outcome - the exact same thing happened to us Storm2 owners 2 years ago. Once bitten, twice shy I guess.

I am a BB customer for 4 years now, I own a Playbook, it's safe to say I'm a fan, but really: the next promise/deadline this company keeps will be the first.
    07-02-13 11:12 AM
    The problem is that this is not their first time of this exact same mistake. They have a chronic issue with saying things that they do not deliver on.
    Oh, I agree. And honestly, I think this happening negates when they do happen to do what they say. In truth, Thorsten always came across to me as much more committed to doing what he says than Mike or Jim. It's an extra big black eye.
    07-02-13 11:13 AM
    The problem is that this is not their first time of this exact same mistake. They have a chronic issue with saying things that they do not deliver on. This destroys credibility, it upsets customers, and is in no way good for business. They basically made it sound like they weren't going to do anything for the PlayBook customers at all because it is no longer in their plans and that is it. If that is what they do then you have just created probably somewhere between 500,000 to a million people who will bad mouth your company.
    So why buy from them if their history of letdowns is causnig you such problems and frustration?

How does it go... "Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me."
    07-02-13 11:14 AM
    I
    the next promise/deadline this company keeps will be the first.
    That's such an extreme, utter exaggeration. I know people are mad that the PlayBook promise wasn't kept, but do you seriously think they've never kept a single solitary promise or deadline in their entire corporate history?

Come on ...

The drama on these forums ...
    07-02-13 11:15 AM
    Heins is just channeling his inner "Animal House" favorite quote:

Hey - you f****d up, you trusted us

Live and learn.

Keep Moving and buy a tablet from someone else.
    07-02-13 11:24 AM
    That's such an extreme, utter exaggeration. I know people are mad that the PlayBook promise wasn't kept, but do you seriously think they've never kept a single solitary promise or deadline in their entire corporate history?

Come on ...

The drama on these forums ...
    Go ahead and name a deadline they have kept without at least one postponement.
    07-02-13 11:24 AM
    Knew you would get it Lex. The name BlackBerry would be retained by any new owner as it provides another established route to market for them. HTC run DROID, why not BlackBerry? It could however become another phone in the Windows stable which would be more acceptable to business users.

Posted via CB10
    If thats the niche they want ( i always thought BB was for business users anyway)...but if they want to sell to the 'hip' generation (not the broken hip generation....like you and I) then the way to go is ANDROID.... of course this is all moot....until a buyer steps forward...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    07-02-13 11:29 AM

But not that he 'lied. '
    We already had one of those....They crucified him about 2000 years ago...
    07-02-13 11:36 AM
    id like to think kevin will ask the hard questions, but I don't believe he will. Who bites the hand that feeds him ? he has his job because blackberry exists.

Even though his journalistic skills are exemplitory and now could work anywhere in my opinion.
    07-02-13 11:39 AM
414 ... 56789 ...