There is hope!

Gothamsreckoning called BB and was told the following:

I just called BlackBerry regarding what Theins meant when he said continued support. The representative told me he was referring to technical support, in case something happens to your PlayBook. When I asked about software updates, he said they don't even have an official decision yet...
    Sad:banghead:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1/#post8770908

As I wrote earlier, these are just people on the other end, and people change their minds. If it's true that no decision has yet been made regarding future Playbook updates, this is a good thing. It means that concerted pressure, NOW, can get results.

If you haven't already, please fill out the survey Kevin posted and express yourself regarding the playbook issue! I know a number of you are very active on various CB forums. Please help spread the word.
    07-06-13 07:22 PM
    Nokia effectively killed Symbian^3 development in Feb. 2011 but first-generation device owners have been getting updates fairly recently while the last-gen owners get regular system updates, like new Qt libraries. A lot of this stuff was promised in early 2011 just before Nokia switched to WinPhone as its main platform.

I'm glad Stephen Elop and Nokia followed through on this promise and helped keep the Symbian platform viable... Qt/QML development on Symbian is really easy and it's easy to distribute apps. It also helps that Nokia didn't bother patching a security hole that allows easy rooting I can see myself using my Symbian phone for a few years more because the main apps and third party apps are still being updated.

Why can't BBRY do this? Cascades also uses Qt/QML so it's a great way to pull in Symbian and Meego developers to BB10. They promised a lot of things in 2011 when the PlayBook was released, Thor vowed to keep the platform alive in 2012, and now he's thrown it under the bus in 2013. If I were a Z10 or Q10 owner, I'd be wary of him doing the same to those devices if things don't go well for BBRY.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-06-13 11:07 PM
    There is hope!

Gothamsreckoning called BB (2013-07-05) and was told the following:

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...1/#post8770908
    As I wrote earlier, these are just people on the other end, and people change their minds. If it's true that no decision has yet been made regarding future Playbook updates, this is a good thing. It means that concerted pressure, NOW, can get results.

If you haven't already, please fill out the survey Kevin posted and express yourself regarding the playbook issue! I know a number of you are very active on various CB forums. Please help spread the word.
    -Dated 2013-07-05
    I just called BlackBerry regarding what Theins meant when he said continued support. The representative told me he was referring to technical support, in case something happens to your PlayBook. When I asked about software updates, he said they don't even have an official decision yet...
    Sad:banghead:

Victorshikhman, First I'd like to thank you for the things I've been trying to express. I purchased (4) 64gb PlayBooks, mulitple BlackBerry cases, (4) Desktop rapid chargers, car chargers, and various other items if bought at retail would have been close to $4,000 US based upon CEO Thorsten Heins had stating about ALL PlayBooks would get updated to BB10 OS. Of course I didn't pay that- feel sorry for all the retailers that got stuck with the loss/having to inventory the stuff for close to 18 months!!! before unloading it.

Wish I lived in the UK, or Germany.... as I'd be making arrangements to send all the stuff back. PB OS v2.xxx leaves alot to be desired as you know- feel sorry for the poor fools (a expression) that were the early adopters, that paid retail.

First negative impression of the PlayBook was the charging circuit and the dance (Stack-Charging) I had to do to get the units to CHARGE... I hope they FIRED the "teams" that did the charging circuit . EG Unit won't charge unless the OS is up if battery voltage drops too far.... OS won't come up if the battery is low....
    Second negative was the first time browsing the net.... What a joke of a browser. Then I find out common apps aren't available, (App selection is a joke) and the businesses I do business with don't list any apps for the device.

Until I purchased (4) PlayBooks, those purchases based upon the CEO of BlackBerry stating publicly ALL PlayBooks would get a update to the new "Wiz-Bang-This OS is going to save BlackBerry from bankruptcy OS called BB10.... I had no idea BlackBerry/RIM has a history of jerking customers around, delaying updates to the core OS and apps.

I thought "BlackBerry" products, who's target market traditionally has been the "Professional" sector - would act in a Professional manner... releasing professional grade devices that have undergone extensive real-world testing before the products release, then addressing any issues in a timely manner.

Anyhow noticed in post #250 just two days ago this: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ml#post8762556
    Guys, please stop dreaming. PB is dead. It's over. Why don't you understand this?? Only as a proof, I called PB helpdesk because of an issue with email client . Linked to my question about updates I was told "no further updates or patches will be provided for the PB". But that's no news. Simply, what Heins said last week already. No BB 10 no PB OS 3. You have to take it.

My take on all of this and Kevin Michaluk CEO/Owner of CrackBerry.com meeting July 9 2013 with with Thorsen Heins.

Unless pressure can be applied:
    PlayBook dead duck= Developers go bye-bye, no new apps, NO updated Android runtime...
    There will be no major updates to the PB OS 2.xxx, no improvements to core apps.
    OS 2.xx support = Yes, this is tech support- Please reboot your device... Ah, that don't fix it... Bye, Bye or you send in we charge you money- as we sold off all the spares in warehouse firesales -told everyone they'd get upgrade to BB10 OS and we sold them ALL!!!... Before we had so many, if you called we would give you one to make you "happy customer", even if out of warranty- Now= No more= You pay full retail...

I hoping Mr. Michaluk will persuade Mr Heins and or the board members, and stockholders to rethink killing off the PlayBook series as they've done. As a first time purchaser of RIM/BlackBerry products I was hesitant to purchase the items to begin with, hearing they are in bad shape and they might go under. My purchase was based upon the PlayBooks getting the BB10 OS update which would allow access to the BB10 app eco-system, a updated Android runtime to 4.xxx, along the myriad of core app improvements BB10 would bring.

My concern is Mr Michaluk being so "stoked" by being in the presence of everything that is "BlackBerry" so to speak as he put it is he caves for a lack of a more eloquent word and he does not fight hard enough on our behalf.

Mr Michaluk has probably looked at the number of hits the PlayBook generates on his site, the money it brings in and in his mind is weighing how far he can "champion" on our behalf. I'm truly worried that Mr Michaluk "holding back /caving" and he may sacrifice the PlayBook to maintain his relationships with BB.

In closing I'd like to say all this leaves a very bad impression. Unless they can make it right I won't be championing or promoting BlackBerry branded products. If they can't deliver I think they need to do a BUY-BACK PROGRAM. EG: They send me a pre-paid shipping labeI and I send they all the stuff I have along with the receipts- and they send me a check in that amount. (In 14-days)
    *On the Buy-Back Program= They can slap a "Limited Edition" sticker on them and the fanboys will pay top dollar for them.

By Kevin Michaluk on 29 Jun 2011
    After all these years of CrackBerrying it up, I'm finally going to the Mecca of BlackBerry... Waterloo, Ontario!!!

I'm SUPER STOKED. Seriously, this is like Charlie going to Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory. This is going to be awesome.
    Research In Motion Annual General Meeting to be held July 12th in Waterloo, and YES, CrackBerry Kevin will be there! | CrackBerry.com
    07-07-13 12:25 AM
    If they were just honest and open about the PlayBook? I understand why they had to scrap it, but they've really shot themselves in the foot by treating people like prisoners. Yes, it may be only 2.5 million play books, but look at how many will get wind of this treatment. Word of mouth is a vicious snake. Shame. Such a simple thing to avoid by just being honest and apologetic. How many nails are left for this coffin?

Posted via CB10
    victorshikhman, FF22 and Tim1131 like this.
    07-07-13 12:26 AM
    If they were just honest and open about the PlayBook? I understand why they had to scrap it, but they've really shot themselves in the foot by treating people like prisoners. Yes, it may be only 2.5 million play books, but look at how many will get wind of this treatment. Word of mouth is a vicious snake. Shame. Such a simple thing to avoid by just being honest and apologetic. How many nails are left for this coffin?

Posted via CB10
    Not necessarily you personally, but in general, folks around here will give BB the benefit of the doubt (in excess IMO) on anything. Until, that is, this PB issue.

All of a sudden, nobody even considers that they did intend fully to deliver BB10/OS3 to the PB, but found it unmanageable and ended up scrapping it? Obviously, that's not the outcome you would hope for, but I don't think its unreasonable that they just flat out failed to be able to get it working right.

Just a thought from someone who finds the sudden feeling of dislike for TH odd. (Keep in mind, I've already said TH never should have made that promise without the finished product available)
    07-07-13 12:48 AM
    Found this in another thread:

Video for Kevin Michaluk CEO/Owner of CrackBerry.com to prep for meeting July 9 2013 with with CEO of BlackBerry Thorsen Heins.

Think the words BlackBerry, BB10 update, PlayBook, We want products that work well, tired of being lied to, jerked around, Waited for months, told it was coming, while watching.

Last edited by WeAreNotAlone; 07-07-13 at 01:23 AM.
    Sufyan Manzil likes this.
    07-07-13 01:04 AM
    Kevin please tell TH to keep on the BlackBerry 10 path BUT please make it possible for BB10 devices (Z10 specifically) to run Android apps out the box and get these apps directly from the Play Store. (if this is possible)

Let the native BB10 apps be the apps that take time and effort to polish and show the market BB10's potential but at the same time give all the impatient cry babies access to all the Android apps that can run on the new BB10 platform and devices.

This would be a win-win outcome in my view.

Forget about BB10 for the PlayBook, just keep the current PlayBook OS updated for refinement. I love my PlayBook and I can live with it as it is. Realistically it is an old device in the market.
    07-07-13 01:11 AM
    Video for Kevin Michaluk CEO/Owner of CrackBerry.com to prep for meeting July 9 2013 with with CEO of BlackBerry Thorsen Heins.

07-07-13 01:16 AM
    Will Kevin ask Thor the hard questions that we want him to ask? I think not. He's put too much effort into being a BBRY fan that he won't ever risk angering the hand that feeds him.

In other words, Kevin is a sycophant. CB is also full of people who will never say anything critical about BBRY, and the company in Waterloo will go down in flames if it keeps thinking nothing is wrong with its product and its management.
    07-07-13 01:41 AM
    Will Kevin ask Thor the hard questions that we want him to ask? I think not. He's put too much effort into being a BBRY fan that he won't ever risk angering the hand that feeds him.

In other words, Kevin is a sycophant. CB is also full of people who will never say anything critical about BBRY, and the company in Waterloo will go down in flames if it keeps thinking nothing is wrong with its product and its management.
    Let's give Kevin the benefit of the doubt. Let's not extend our dissatisfaction against blackberry to Kevin and crackberry. This a website all about blackberry. Not a representation of BB customers or investors. More than anything people come here to learn and relate their bb experience. Certainly Kevin can ask some questions. However, he is not on a crusade to scold the ceo and it's company of being incompetence. I'm sure by now the ceo has got his ears full over our protestations regarding pb debacle. If not you shall write this company off as arrogant and ignorant and let the word of bad mouth begins. A few days ago I have the opportunity to recommend a Z10 and a Q10 to a couple of course workers. I just could not bring myself to do so not knowing blackberry commitment to this new platform. I personally got 7 individuals to pick up pb a few months ago, I'm gun shy to do that again.
    FF22 and Tim1131 like this.
    07-07-13 08:37 AM
    I'm sure by now the ceo has got his ears full over our protestations regarding pb debacle.
    Let's consider the options:

1) Thorsten Heins has received zero feedback over PB debacle. Heck, if I were him, I'd be curled up in bed with the covers over my head, mumbling to myself the last week. In this case, putting as much pressure as we can on him and BB is the right approach.

2) Thorsten Heins has received massive feedback over PB debacle. He has not changed his mind on PB update. In this case, putting as much pressure as we can on him and BB is the right approach.

3) Thorsten Heins has received massive feedback over PB debacle. He has changed his mind on PB update. In this case, putting as much pressure as we can on him and BB is the right approach.

I know someone already started a petition, but unless it gets media attention or some such thing, petitions are worthless. It's much more effective to email Thorsten Heins (and possibly the board of directors?) directly. What do you guys think about an email campaign? I've already sent one, but I doubt many others have. Blowing off steam on CB is nice and all, but if the point is to get results... Maybe we should time it for Monday, the day before the shareholder meeting.

Thoughts?
    07-07-13 10:33 AM
    4) Thorsten Heins knows that the PlayBook was a mistake from the beginning and finally cut the cord. No one outside the fan community objects. He has far bigger problems on his plate right now.

Keep Moving.
    07-07-13 10:38 AM
    Why are we launching another bb7 device when the future is bb10? Could we not have launched a lower end bb10 device?
    chaosdivine likes this.
    07-07-13 10:53 AM
    Hey Kevin - when is your meeting with Thor?
    07-07-13 10:54 AM
    Having seen Kevin in action when engaging Blackberry or polling Thor, really don't think anything will be achieved since he brings nothing to the table, it certainly has not in the past and look where Blackberry is now. Quite simply, tell them to finish the job and deliver no matter how much time and effort it takes using their debt free pockets of money and demonstrate the vision that they have been peddling for years on end that the millions of people shared. Did Microsoft decide to pull Windoze since it did not perform well on ancient platforms. No, the choice was ours to buy the device that best met their needs. Pulling the rug out took that all away from all of us to decide with only a thank you for supporting Blackberry.
    07-07-13 11:02 AM
    4) He has far bigger problems on his plate right now. Keep Moving.
    Someone else said this (I word-smithed it a bit) in the comments section of the new BB 7 phone article (on the homepage) but it's perfectly fitting: "Thorsten's definitely Keeping BlackBerry Moving - in reverse, and he's flooring it!" I'd like a t-shirt with that on it.
    07-07-13 11:30 AM
    Kevin will be at the rear of the line and may not even get handed a mike. If the PB gets more than two minutes I'll be surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    07-07-13 01:00 PM
    Kevin will be at the rear of the line and may not even get handed a mike. If the PB gets more than two minutes I'll be surprised.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    You are expecting that much: "We have moved on. Next question."
    07-07-13 01:34 PM
    Okey... I would put my two cents...

Mobile phone industry is getting saturated as we keep hearing now..
    So... the killer feature that BlackBerry can intoduce now is

Modular Processing..

Idea is... the ability for Z10 to connect to different processing units and exploit the fragmented processing power that a person might have access to..
    Z10 only used as a remote..

First thing..

Ability to install apps on the Link on a PC or mac.. and APIs for the developers to be able to send processing instructions to to the link... I then, can access the processed file remotely..

Home Link... QNX based processing unit with all the IOs at home, like IR capabilities to the wireless hdmi to wifi to everything..

Work Link... a bigger processing unit..

Later, being able to use processing power of all shared BB10 devices...

I mean over the next few years, data transfer rates are going to be crazy, with Google fibre coming out and all of the rest trying to catch up.. Only thing slowing the productivity down would be the processing power... now by exploiting the fragmented processing power, BlackBerry can once again lead the tech industry to a new era...

Hopefully, I am not being too crazy here...

Posted via CB10
    Crazy not at all, but its crazy to sh*t on your consumers until you get to ^this^ point of your LTE.
    WeAreNotAlone likes this.
    07-07-13 02:39 PM
    4) Thorsten Heins knows that the PlayBook was a mistake from the beginning and finally cut the cord. No one outside the fan community objects. He has far bigger problems on his plate right now.

Keep Moving.
    When it happens to a $400 device that you purchased, you'll probably be the first one crying. They cut the cord on the Storm, they cut the cord on the torch, now cut the cord on the playbook. May as well cut the cord on the company, the z10 has more bugs and issues then any of the previous devices.

Posted via CB10
    chaosdivine and EchoesFX like this.
    07-07-13 04:21 PM
    When it happens to a $400 device that you purchased, you'll probably be the first one crying. They cut the cord on the Storm, they cut the cord on the torch, now cut the cord on the playbook. May as well cut the cord on the company, the z10 has more bugs and issues then any of the previous devices.

Posted via CB10
    I paid full price on day one for a 64GB Playbook.
    I have the receipt in my home office as a reminder of that mistake.

Crying? No - I moved on from the Playbook 18 months ago.
    I also had a Storm. 9530. Had to get one. So I did. Fortunately someone at work wanted it. Settled that problem. They now have an iPhone.

Nothing lasts forever. I think the Playbook is "different" as BB10 was committed (not promised). And they missed.
    07-07-13 05:16 PM

Keep Moving.
    Far bigger problem he has is his own leadership, "things will change WE will listen" yeah...hypocrite DOH!
    nappp likes this.
    07-07-13 05:39 PM

Posted via CB10
    They already cut the cord, read my last post^
    07-07-13 05:39 PM
    Kevin should throw his shoes at him and then walk out. Preferably very old and smelly shoes
    WeAreNotAlone and nappp like this.
    07-07-13 06:33 PM
    Kevin should throw his shoes at him and then walk out. Preferably very old and smelly shoes
    lmao! perfect. tell him those stinky shoes could do the same job as he is

Sent from an ATM
    No trees were harmed during the making of this message
    07-07-13 10:46 PM
414 ... 1011121314 ...