If BlackBerry does not want to waste resources on the PlayBook, why don't they allow users to load android os and use it?

Posted via CB10
    06-30-13 11:46 PM
    Why should they? It's their property. What if they open up the platform and someone uses the info to compromise the security of deployed corporate playbooks and BB10 phones? What if the competition uses the info for its advantage? Why take the risk? Companies almost never open source a product unless they want nothing to do with it, or they're Google and care deeply about open source.

The best option is to shame BB into pushing an update that brings us maximum BB10 functionality. With respect to all the guys working on it, hacking the platform is a distant second.
    06-30-13 11:54 PM
    Well for starters TH has bigger problems to worry about. Right now the BBRY ship is on fire and on the verge of sinking. Already 600,000 blackberry 10 users have jumped shipped now TH has to figure out what to do with there remaining users.

It's SAD because I just bought corporate CALs for my BES 10 server, so BBRY hopefully will separate the BES from BBRY and keep is going otherwise the call companies could have a mutiny on their hands with all the blackberry clients they still have.
    Um. Where'd you get that 600K figure?
    07-01-13 01:33 AM
    Maybe a slightly different perspective.

I fully understand the disappointment over broken promises, and BBRY/TH definitely deserve to taking lots of heat for that.

However, from a user's perspective, I'm quite happy with my PB and how it is today. Actually I even prefer the way how I can slide windows to move between apps, over the method that is used in BB10 (swipe up - home screen - tap on other app). I think the email client is great, browser might need some enhancements to be applied, but basically it runs quite OKish and does what it is meant to do.

Now that we'll have to live with a decision that will not be taken back, whether we like it or not, what are the main concerns remaining?

1.) will BBRY further maintain PB in its current state, and add improvements over time?
    2.) will BB10 apps run on the current PB platform?

I think these are the main concerns that many PB users will have.
    If there are satisfying answers to both 1.) and 2.), then I personally (and maybe some others?) could survive with the current system, until the PB becomes completely obsolete from a HW perspective.
    If 1.) and/or 2.) are no (or no satisfying answers will be given), then the platform is dead, and it's getting time to jump boat.

These questions should get discussed/asked at the AM.
    07-01-13 04:18 AM
    Of course not: making Tablet OS compatible with OS 10 apps means to make a new OS, so it would be easier to port OS 10 on PlayBook.
    If Kevin cares about us, should simply tell Heins "No update for PlayBook? We'll write a post when we recommend not buying BlackBerry products anymore for lots of reasons". But he won't do it, and probably will reply to my post defending Heins. Or at least he should ask why RIM cannot even release BBM or a decent OS 10 Bridge.
    Last edited by Power Mac; 07-01-13 at 05:43 AM.
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-01-13 04:45 AM
    Why should they? It's their property. What if they open up the platform and someone uses the info to compromise the security of deployed corporate playbooks and BB10 phones? What if the competition uses the info for its advantage? Why take the risk? Companies almost never open source a product unless they want nothing to do with it, or they're Google and care deeply about open source.

The best option is to shame BB into pushing an update that brings us maximum BB10 functionality. With respect to all the guys working on it, hacking the platform is a distant second.
    Hang on a minute - did i buy a PB or do i Just rent it from BBRY then ??

<sarcasm>And I fail to see what anyone could gain from software that is 'clearly' light years behind BB10, which in BBRY's own words is a completely new OS which has taken over 2 years to develop ( and still not finish ) and bears no relation to OS2.1.</sarcasm>

What key points of BBRY's current software could be hacked if 2.1 or lower was open sourced - sh** it's not like we have BBM on it. And we are talking about the OS not the apps.

Open sourcing 2.1 would probably the best thing BBRY could do now - although it would probably embarras the sh** out of them when some back room coders knock out an improved OS in under 4 weeks.

Of course opinions are like ar** holes, everyone has one - but i'm sorry to say that TH and co. are just ar** holes pure and simple.
    blueberrymerry and MizzCrack like this.
    07-01-13 05:35 AM
    I agree with calling him out on this issue. I completely agree. On the strength of the quality and performance of my z10 and HEINS, personally, saying PB would have BB10 before the end of the year I bought an extra PB for my daughter, making us a three-playbook household. I would have been content with what PB could do as it stood without an upgrade but I would not have bought another one. BBRY misled me. It's as simple as that!
    I have been a huge BB advocate for many years, as have many people on this amazing community. But unless this decision is reversed I will become a brand terrorist. How can I advocate a brand that doesnt care what loyal customers think about it anymore. Shame on you Heins!
    07-01-13 05:44 AM
    Bump-up for all the newcomers who didn't get a chance to read through the entire thread...

billbsb has made a list of the features BB could bring to PB with little to no effort:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-824019/
    As a fast recap (but click on the link for an excellent post!):

1 - Fix all open Critical Bugs of Tablet OS
    2 - Update to Adobe Air 3.5 with Stage3D
    3 - Android 4.2
    4 - BB10's WebKit
    5 - Improve Multi Media and Wireless communication support

All I would add is to bring Bridge functionality back, which I know thousands of people want. That's it. We can live with this (these changes give us access to Skype and BBM, right?). These small enhancements, which would take almost nothing for BB to push out, would keep hundreds of thousands of Playbooks happily humming along (and remarkably competitive to all else out there) for another year or two easily.

Come on, Kevin! We're counting on you!
    Last edited by victorshikhman; 07-01-13 at 05:55 AM. Reason: Added BBM and Bridge
    T-Pad, Boight and raykutro like this.
    07-01-13 05:50 AM
    Oh, and in the heat of my mini rant I forgot to mention this little nugget. In the UK we have no movie store. In North America you do. We were told this was a licensing issue. On Z10 we have a great movie store which I use a lot when I travel. But I would rather watch them on my PB. Why cant this issue be tackled? cant be licensing because we can now buy movies in the UK on Z10. Cant be technology because there is a North American solution. What is it then? laziness? ineptitude? Complacency? Or all of the above? I seriously hope BB read these negative threads - they might learn something!
    victorshikhman, FF22 and Bdot-1 like this.
    07-01-13 06:03 AM
    Kevin should tell Heins and the buffoons running the show at Waterloo to shove a PlayBook up their collective arses

It's the only product in recent tech history with that many broken promises behind it. If you were an early adopter who bought it for personal or corporate use, I pity you and you probably deserve your money back. If you're a developer who stuck with PB and App World when Android, iOS, WP or even Symbian were more attractive platforms, then you were just plain strung along by BBRY.

The PB could've been good, heck it could've been great, but now it's a dead end. Developers will dump a platform that's been dumped by its manufacturer, users will dump it now that apps and OS aren't being updated.
    07-01-13 06:08 AM
    I seriously hope BB read these negative threads - they might learn something!
    That would imply they listen to their customers, which has been proven false again and again. The only customers they listen to are their "corporate partners". They were bending over for the carriers for years, denying us apps like Skype and HotSpot functionality, while pushing out the same phone year after year with a 10% battery enhancement or a different color case.
    MizzCrack and chaosdivine like this.
    07-01-13 06:11 AM
    I understand the PB focus is a drain on resources but it along with the delay in launching the phones in the U.S.and then telling us that the update would be to us by end of May shows us that it still is the old RIMM. So ask him how he plans to gain our confidence back. The lie about PB is the killer. The issue is not the PB but the continuing lies.
    07-01-13 07:29 AM
    I understand the PB focus is a drain on resources but it along with the delay in launching the phones in the U.S.and then telling us that the update would be to us by end of May shows us that it still is the old RIMM. So ask him how he plans to gain our confidence back. The lie about PB is the killer. The issue is not the PB but the continuing lies.
    Not that communication skill is the ceo's forte or the company for that matter. So it's all moot at this point. Action speaks louder. I rather BB shut the hell up and just keep pushing the update out. Failing that just sell the god damn company to someone who has a better idea how to run it.
    07-01-13 07:47 AM
    I want to see Kevin go all out and ask publicly:

1. Define what is to be expected in terms of updates for the PB? Is this going to be security updates alone, or could users expect some aspects of BB10, like the browser and Android runtime to be updated. If so, a hard timeline should be demanded.

2. The Playbook fiasco has left countless users who have supported Blackberry, lied to. What plans does BBRY have to win these users back?

3. What is the logic behind another os7 device? Work has been going on for over 2 years on getting QNX onto devices. Why take a step back now? Wouldn't legacy markets be better served by a budget oriented BB10 device (Q5) rather than legacy, budget devices that are on outdated limited software?

4. The BBRY Brand is in many parts of the world (particularly the US) associated now with "old hardware", "being out of touch with users", "not cool", "small screen", "DOA", "Never delivers on promises", "Late, Late, Late". What is the plan forward to fix this? Where is the marketing to repair this brand and gain trust of users again?

07-01-13 08:01 AM
    BTW, billbsb has made a list of the features BB could bring to PB with little to no effort:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...aybook-824019/
    Suggest he read this 2.2 thread.
    07-01-13 08:01 AM
    Who owns playbook must be blackberry's hardcore fan, between ipas,nexus 7,ss galaxy tab,i choose playbook. Now what?
    Grumblegrumble likes this.
    07-01-13 08:39 AM
    Who owns playbook must be blackberry's hardcore fan, between ipas,nexus 7,ss galaxy tab,i choose playbook. Now what?
    that may be partially true toronto, while there are those who paid full price and chose playbook over others, there are a rather large number that bought them because it was 99 dollers and really cheap forna tablet
    07-01-13 08:42 AM
  18. world traveler and former ceo's Avatar
    Nothing ... Playbook is fine .. have no problems with mine ....
    maddie1128 likes this.
    07-01-13 08:52 AM
    "Goodbye"

Was there anything in that quarterly report that showed any indication that Thorsten Heins is doing a good job? I don't really think he is to fault for everything, but the buck stops somewhere and the CEO is usually the scapegoat. Stockholders are not going to be able to withstand another bad quarterly report (not sure the company can survive the negative impression this report made). If nothing else a change in leadership can give some hope and a little boost to the stock.
    MizzCrack likes this.
    07-01-13 08:56 AM
    "Goodbye"

Was there anything in that quarterly report that showed any indication that Thorsten Heins is doing a good job? I don't really think he is to fault for everything, but the buck stops somewhere and the CEO is usually the scapegoat. Stockholders are not going to be able to withstand another bad quarterly report (not sure the company can survive the negative impression this report made). If nothing else a change in leadership can give some hope and a little boost to the stock.
    Sadly, Thorsten will take the blame and we don't know with the available information if he is a good leader or not. He took the helm of the titanic after dumb and dumber crashed it right Into an iceberg and then themselves jumped ship into a lifeboat (with $15 million apiece in cash!). The way I see it now there is little Thorsten can do, the ship is probably done for. Maybe sold for scrap.
    MizzCrack likes this.
    07-01-13 09:00 AM
    Nothing ... Playbook is fine .. have no problems with mine ....
    Then you're probably one of the users that would also be happy with this...

It can connect via wireless and I can open a website...fine, all I need, Juhu!
    07-01-13 09:22 AM
    Nice proposition I think is not to late today to make a correction and bring what their customers want they can deliver a stripped version of BB10 something like a BB10 "Lite" and if they can't put resources on it they can work with the developers community in some kind of hibrid closed-opensource OS development effort I think some OS oriented devs will be happy to help
    victorshikhman likes this.
    07-01-13 09:25 AM
    plan b looks obvious to me - break up the company - operate as a smaller software company, sell hardware division. Best case scenario to me is someone else starts making bb10 phones and tablets. The way to PB announcement was handled tells me the company no longer cares at all about end users - which would only be the case if the company is on deaths door
    07-01-13 09:28 AM
    I want to see Kevin go all out and ask publicly:

1. Define what is to be expected in terms of updates for the PB? Is this going to be security updates alone, or could users expect some aspects of BB10, like the browser and Android runtime to be updated. If so, a hard timeline should be demanded.

2. The Playbook fiasco has left countless users who have supported Blackberry, lied to. What plans does BBRY have to win these users back?

3. What is the logic behind another os7 device? Work has been going on for over 2 years on getting QNX onto devices. Why take a step back now? Wouldn't legacy markets be better served by a budget oriented BB10 device (Q5) rather than legacy, budget devices that are on outdated limited software?

4. The BBRY Brand is in many parts of the world (particularly the US) associated now with "old hardware", "being out of touch with users", "not cool", "small screen", "DOA", "Never delivers on promises", "Late, Late, Late". What is the plan forward to fix this? Where is the marketing to repair this brand and gain trust of users again?

hmmmmmmmmmm because bb10 is a flop.....Playbooks been given the chop......Thor is a fop..........oh and blackberry is now cow plop........
    07-01-13 09:31 AM
    It doesn't even need BB10 - just fix the things that don't work and include the things that the userbase has been clamouring for.

However - BBRY pinning their hopes on Android 4.x smacks of defeatism to me and just shows how far up sh** creek they are.

I also think the effort to make BBM cross platform sounded the death knell of BBRY as an independant phone hardware company and TH is just waitng for a way to quitely release that little tidbit of info as well.

Of course i'm just an (ex)customer and wtf do I know about it.
    07-01-13 09:35 AM
414 12345 ...