I believe this can work for some. Open whatever screen you want to remain on. Then open OrigamiBrowser and on the very top right click and select 'Keep Screen On'. Go back to the first screen and make it full screen. Then with your left thumb slowly slide in from the the left bezel onto the screen until it becomes slightly smaller with a blue area all around and just a small slice of the OrigamiBrowser still visible. Then, all the while still keeping your thumb on the screen, move the active screen back to the left until only a small blue area remains on that side. Then hold your thumb very still on the screen for about ten seconds as this seems to get the screen to stay like that, and then lift your thumb off. Hopefully, it works right away but you may need to try a few times to get it right. Because a tiny portion of OrigamiBrowser is still visible the almost full sized other screen will remain on until you touch the screen again.

I tried this with Crackberry's site, a photo, and using Location on Google Maps. All remained open past five minutes and Location appeared to continue working. Note that the Playbook's browser allowed a Google Maps location fix but Origami Browser doesn't seem to, so open Google through the Playbook's browser and get a location fix, then open OrigamiBrowser.

Here's a picture to show what I mean about the blue area around the screen and OrigamiBrowser just appearing off to the right side.
    That sounds interesting, does the app behaviour has to be in showcase? does this works with android apps? I will definitely try this method.
    07-27-13 08:20 PM
    My Playbook is on Showcase but I don't know if that is necessary. I'll need to leave the Android ports question to others as I've just noticed this and have only tried the three areas mentioned.

I should add that the screen remains open until you touch it which will cause it to go back to full screen and to the Playbook's set timeout (five minute max).
    07-27-13 08:35 PM
    Bottom line - the way the pb is designed, TIMEOUT control is either in the app or it is not - unless you are willing to shrink the app to share the screen with another app.
    That unfortunately is pretty well IT in a nutshell.

I have sent the GPS Nautical Charts developer the code as posted earlier in this thread. But I suspect he updated his app for BB10 and now that BB10 is dead so far as PB is concerned, seems to me to have no interest in issuing a new PB only version.
    07-27-13 09:04 PM
    I think the app developeer is partially correct in what he says. As you mention, BatteryGuru implements KeepAwake, but I seem to recall reading in a post by the developer of that app that he had to use a bit of a trick to make it work, as the KeepAwake function could not be directly 'accessed'.

I know that he is a fairly active member of this forum and seems to be very helpful, so with a bit of luck he may post an answer in due course, otherwise, I guess you could look him up in another BatteryGuru thread, and maybe send him a PM(?)
    Just stumbled over this today while searching for something entirely unrelated.

The part about a "trick" isn't relevant to this thread. The trickiness involved was only in relation to people trying to use one app which implements Keep Awake (like Battery Guru) to keep the PB awake when you're using another app without the same support. All that showcase and keeping-part-of-the-window visible garbage makes it "tricky", but only as a user.

As others have noted, and as should be clear from my detailed post quoted above, it's dead simple to implement the keep awake feature in any app regardless of the development environment, possibly excepting Android. If a developer chooses not to do so, he can't really use "it's too hard" as any sort of excuse. (Not wanting to spend time supporting the PB is, unfortunately, a more legitimate reason -- though if I had a map app on the PlayBook, I'd probably consider it worth adding keep awake even if I had only a sale or two a day... it's that easy.)
    FF22 likes this.
    09-02-13 03:34 PM
    I thought there's an app call Stay On for the playbook.
    BlackBerry World - Stay ON
    It's free!
    09-02-13 03:44 PM
    Just stumbled over this today while searching for something entirely unrelated.

The part about a "trick" isn't relevant to this thread. The trickiness involved was only in relation to people trying to use one app which implements Keep Awake (like Battery Guru) to keep the PB awake when you're using another app without the same support. All that showcase and keeping-part-of-the-window visible garbage makes it "tricky", but only as a user.

As others have noted, and as should be clear from my detailed post quoted above, it's dead simple to implement the keep awake feature in any app regardless of the development environment, possibly excepting Android. If a developer chooses not to do so, he can't really use "it's too hard" as any sort of excuse. (Not wanting to spend time supporting the PB is, unfortunately, a more legitimate reason -- though if I had a map app on the PlayBook, I'd probably consider it worth adding keep awake even if I had only a sale or two a day... it's that easy.)
    A voice from our distant past! Battery Guru remains the only app that I purchased twice for my two Playbooks. Although about a month ago I wiped the 32gig and gave it the same bbid as the 64.
    peter9477 likes this.
    09-02-13 04:34 PM
    I thought there's an app call Stay On for the playbook.
    BlackBerry World - Stay ON
    It's free!
    This is no more capable of solving the OP's issue than is any other app except the one he's actually using, as made clear by the preceding discussion. There is no fix for him except the developer adding the feature to that app, or BB releasing an update to the OS that would allow a user to control this (LOL).
    09-02-13 07:40 PM
    My earlier suggestion was too hard to replicate. I give up. Okay, I don't... Try this easier way to have a keep awake function for the native browser and apps. It still uses Origami Browser. (OrigamiBrowser will, of course, keep the screen on by itself but only when it is the Active screen or with websites accessed through it.)

First open an app or any webpage through the Playbook's native browser. Second, open OrigamiBrowser and on the very top right click and select 'Keep Screen On'. Keep the OrigamiBrowser fullscreen. Now place two fingers on the left bezel and swipe them all the way across onto and off the right bezel. The OrigamiBrowser screen will be mostly replaced on the screen by the app or webpage. That will show as most of the active screen -- about 90%. It will remain on screen indefinitely.

Note that a small part of OrigamiBrowser (even a tiny slice) needs to remain onscreen and this usually happens. If it doesn't then a few more attempts should succeed. If no part of OrigamiBrowser shows then the screen will time-out as usual. (Swiping to re-activate fullscreen will also return your normally set time-out.)

If you opened something after having OrigamiBrowser open then you need to do a two-finger left bezel to right bezel and back to left bezel motion.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried this using Location on Google Maps. It remained open and (in the city) continued providing accurate location updates. Note that the Playbook's browser allowed a Google Maps location fix but Origami Browser doesn't seem to, so open Google through the Playbook's browser to get a location fix.

I have also tried this on the Clocks app and a number of websites. Will go on and on until you stop it or you join the Dead Battery Society (do an image search of that).

btw It's faster to confirm it's not timing out if you temporarily lower to 30 seconds your Screen settings.
    10-01-13 09:09 AM
    Tried a few more things:

I recorded several minutes of sound and the associated keystrokes with a piano app. On playback it got to the Playbook's time-out then closed without finishing. Starting the recording and then getting a bit of OrigamiBrowser on screen allowed the entire recording to play (and remain open after finishing).

The Playbook Camera will stay open while in recording mode but having the camera open and not recording will result in it timing out. It won't time out trying it this way. I guess if you wanted to be ready to record quickly this might help. Or if you wanted a (limited use) monitor.

You can have a not quite fullscreen image on all the time. Either as a near-wallpaper or for a recipe or schematic you need to consult.

A complete sweep from bezel to bezel isn't needed. Two fingers on the side bezel slid a little onto the screen then slid back should be enough to get a small bit of the OrigamiBrowser to appear.

Couple more thoughts:

I think any app that doesn't time out can be a substitute for OrigamiBrowser.

Using this essentially leaves your Playbook unlocked until you stop it.
    10-03-13 01:27 PM
    Here is a video

11-08-13 07:10 PM
    My apologies, sir. I remember this thread, and frankly, I couldn't replicate what you said, so I thought that either you were crazy or that you had a freak playbook. However, I just got your method to work using Osmand and StayOn. Frankly, rereading your October 1 post was more informative than the video was- I guess I missed the two finger swipe in previous attempts to get your method to work. My main question is, how did you discover this quirk? Kinda doubt that it was designed into the OS. Plus, aren't you the one who discovered the . (period) trick in the searchbox of the native file manager?
    11-08-13 09:53 PM
    Pacoman03,

Can't remember exactly but I believe the stumble upon was from a combination of thinking about the multi-touch screen interface and reading and learning from posts on this forum and other sites. Sort of like, 'well, if that can be done, would it be possible to do this?' Then, 'well, this is possible, could it be easier?

With the passage of (no replies back) time it occurred to me my earlier posts weren't as clear as I led myself to believe -- I might have just added a video to the mess. On the video I was trying to show the general concept. Because I had it on 30 second timeout I tried several things to show what I could get to work and how it wasn't timing out.

I did post the File Manager picture search tip using a . (period). It was a stumble upon for me. No idea if anyone else was using it before.
    11-09-13 06:55 PM
    Open the app world that bb10 uses or the play store

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 04:52 PM
    pacoman03,

I had thought that besides OrigamiBrowser it probably work with other apps that also could stay open. I don't have many apps on my Playbook so thanks for confirming that Stay On does, too.

Posters have indicated that it is simple to write the code to keep an app open -- something like a few lines of code gets mentioned. Well, instead of waiting for every app creator to do that, it would be nice if someone wrote a simple app something like this: keep screen on, minimal resource usage, and something like 20 or thirty screen colours to choose from.

The app that doesn't timeout may be taking up just a bit of the side but it can be distracting if it's a different colour from the colour showing around the edge of the 90% plus rest of the screen. In the video I posted that would be the blue background around the apps or websites I was showing. If it was possible to choose some blue background for the needed app instead of the white OrigamiBrowser screen it would look a bit better.

One more feature of the simple app that would also be nice. If it was possible to choose your own timeout or to have a new maximum of an hour on it. Just to make sure it wasn't on indefinitely with the battery then running down.

Last note: I mentioned in an earlier post in this thread that you could also get a portion of OrigamiBrowser onto the screen without sweeping completely across from bezel to bezel with two fingers. If you just slightly pushing two fingers onto the screen from the bezel and then pull them back, that should pull OrigamiBrowser (or Stay On) in from the far bezel.
    11-11-13 09:54 PM
    Glad to see this thread has legs again! I must try that Origami (or other app) trick with my nav app (see post #1) and see if it works.
    11-12-13 07:07 PM
    Another note in using this:

Have your Playbook's Application Behavior setting on Showcase. That is found under the General area of the Playbook's Settings (not the Playbook Browser's General settings). This Showcase setting will allow the 90%+ screen to continue to update with info while it remains on.

As far as I can tell, if you have the Application Behavior on Default or Paused the screen will either stay on but not continue to update, or it will time out as usual.
    11-13-13 10:03 PM
    My earlier suggestion was too hard to replicate. I give up. Okay, I don't... Try this easier way to have a keep awake function for the native browser and apps. It still uses Origami Browser. (OrigamiBrowser will, of course, keep the screen on by itself but only when it is the Active screen or with websites accessed through it.)

First open an app or any webpage through the Playbook's native browser. Second, open OrigamiBrowser and on the very top right click and select 'Keep Screen On'. Keep the OrigamiBrowser fullscreen. Now place two fingers on the left bezel and swipe them all the way across onto and off the right bezel. The OrigamiBrowser screen will be mostly replaced on the screen by the app or webpage. That will show as most of the active screen -- about 90%. It will remain on screen indefinitely.

Note that a small part of OrigamiBrowser (even a tiny slice) needs to remain onscreen and this usually happens. If it doesn't then a few more attempts should succeed. If no part of OrigamiBrowser shows then the screen will time-out as usual. (Swiping to re-activate fullscreen will also return your normally set time-out.)

If you opened something after having OrigamiBrowser open then you need to do a two-finger left bezel to right bezel and back to left bezel motion.

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried this using Location on Google Maps. It remained open and (in the city) continued providing accurate location updates. Note that the Playbook's browser allowed a Google Maps location fix but Origami Browser doesn't seem to, so open Google through the Playbook's browser to get a location fix.

I have also tried this on the Clocks app and a number of websites. Will go on and on until you stop it or you join the Dead Battery Society (do an image search of that).

btw It's faster to confirm it's not timing out if you temporarily lower to 30 seconds your Screen settings.
    I finally managed to replicate this! awesome trick man!!
    11-14-13 06:41 PM
42 12