Hey guys,

I was just curious what you guys intend on using your playbook for and why it's a better option than the competition? Call it a survey or census if you will.

I already determined the Playbook wouldn't work out best for me, but I'm curious what everyone's uses are going to be.

It just seemed like to me, the playbook ultimately is too small and has no apps I would get much use out of... or, if I would, the competition already has dozens of options available and in a bigger size format for ease of working on it.

I can see where flash would be nice, but it's not needed. The multitasking is also nice, but in reality the only benefit is being able to "swipe" between your open windows, you can't really do two things at once. All the other tablets offer this, yes, including the iPad.. well, iPad 2 anyway. The iPad 2 does pause it in the background but you can enable multitasking gestures and swipe between tasks, and everything pops up again instantly.
    The biggest, and most useful feature for REAL multi-tasking like the playbook offers, is when you are video chatting, and want to do something else, it won't pause (I assume). This is awesome.

Just some thoughts, and curious what sets this device apart for you guys from the rest. Personally I don't think 7" is a real viable size, it's too small for tablet work, and too big for a phone. Also too big to pocket it (besides a suit) so I don't see the real portability any more than other tablets. The real advent was tethering with no fee's, but that fell through, so what is the real draw compared to other tablets right now?

Just curious. This is really not meant to flame and it's an honest question. When I really sat down and weighed the pro's and con's, I didn't find much in favor of the playbook.
    04-13-11 11:34 AM
    I deploy wireless networks, and with the Playbook, I will be able to use a browser built into the AP's to show signal strength, and run speed tests to gateways that i cannot do now with my Ipad. I will also have access to a cloud based wifi identifier that is flash based. Plus the advantage of email, contacts, ect. from by blackberry. Cant wait till the 19th!!
    04-13-11 11:43 AM
    Feel way more professional, not a toy
    04-13-11 11:44 AM
    Hey guys,

I was just curious what you guys intend on using your playbook for and why it's a better option than the competition? Call it a survey or census if you will.

I already determined the Playbook wouldn't work out best for me, but I'm curious what everyone's uses are going to be.

It just seemed like to me, the playbook ultimately is too small and has no apps I would get much use out of... or, if I would, the competition already has dozens of options available and in a bigger size format for ease of working on it.

I can see where flash would be nice, but it's not needed. The multitasking is also nice, but in reality the only benefit is being able to "swipe" between your open windows, you can't really do two things at once. All the other tablets offer this, yes, including the iPad.. well, iPad 2 anyway. The iPad 2 does pause it in the background but you can enable multitasking gestures and swipe between tasks, and everything pops up again instantly.
    The biggest, and most useful feature for REAL multi-tasking like the playbook offers, is when you are video chatting, and want to do something else, it won't pause (I assume). This is awesome.

Just some thoughts, and curious what sets this device apart for you guys from the rest. Personally I don't think 7" is a real viable size, it's too small for tablet work, and too big for a phone. Also too big to pocket it (besides a suit) so I don't see the real portability any more than other tablets. The real advent was tethering with no fee's, but that fell through, so what is the real draw compared to other tablets right now?

Just curious. This is really not meant to flame and it's an honest question. When I really sat down and weighed the pro's and con's, I didn't find much in favor of the playbook.

Ask me these questions after I've "kicked the tires" next week. I THINK I want a PB, but until I've used it, I can't say for sure that it's THE tablet I'll be getting. There's some new Sammy's coming that look enticing, but so is the PB. Time will tell.
    04-13-11 11:46 AM
    Not to be a an Apple hater, but 1 HUGE reason for the PB is its NOT apple's making. I'm a media guy, and I love Flash sites. And I am very loyal to RIM
    04-13-11 11:48 AM
    For me the size which I thought was going to be a minus but the more i think about it the more I like it. Also seems strange but I do truly believe the the pad is the best all around tablet out there cost, os, quality, apps ect and most of my friends do have them but I kinda want to be a little different. Galaxy tab I just didnt like. I wanted the Xoom which I personally love but has had so many complaints from forums that kinda hard to justify the risk especially with extra cost. So Ipad and PB the two finalist and if the PB comes close performance wise then it will be the way I go
    04-13-11 11:59 AM
    app development / dev options.
    04-13-11 12:04 PM
    For me:

- Small size is a huge plus to me (see, this is totally subject to personal opinion and I wish people would stop listing it as a 'con')
    - Excellent web standards support AND Flash
    - QNX rocks more than people realize now (Yes, I remember the full desktop OS on one 1.44MB floppy)
    - VERY beefy hardware
    - It's NOT Apple
    04-13-11 12:04 PM
    To keep it short and sweet,
    uncompromised web experience
    thedark722 likes this.
    04-13-11 12:09 PM
    Feel way more professional, not a toy
    What??? It doesn't look or feel(?) any different than most others, just a slab with glass.
    04-13-11 12:16 PM
    Here is my list:

1. From a company I know and trust
    2. Good size for portability and functionality
    3. No itunes dependency for updates
    4. Flash and HTML5 support out of the box
    5. Records 1080p video (good for those times I am needing to snap a quick clip of something funny my son is doing)
    6. HDMI video out (without needing to buy another adapter)
    7. Good battery life (approx 10 hours continuous use)
    8. QNX os... I have alot of expectations for this little gem
    9. Come pre-loaded with a full office suite
    10. Will play my collection of HD videos

Just a short list off the top of my head.
    04-13-11 12:21 PM
    Size, power, and the multitasking is ridiculous!
    04-13-11 12:23 PM
    Here is my list:

1. From a company I know and trust
    2. Good size for portability and functionality
    3. No itunes dependency for updates
    4. Flash and HTML5 support out of the box
    5. Records 1080p video (good for those times I am needing to snap a quick clip of something funny my son is doing)
    6. HDMI video out (without needing to buy another adapter)
    7. Good battery life (approx 10 hours continuous use)
    8. QNX os... I have alot of expectations for this little gem
    9. Come pre-loaded with a full office suite
    10. Will play my collection of HD videos

Just a short list off the top of my head.
    Ditto and so much more...
    04-13-11 12:26 PM
    Ttrue portability, professional use and not a dumb down post-PC device

I am looking forward to being productive on the road with office suite, media storage and ad-hoc presentation opportunities.

The blackberry phone increased my communication potential, I'm looking forward to playbook delivering media and tech capabilities with me wherever I go.
    04-13-11 12:27 PM
    Not to be a an Apple hater, but 1 HUGE reason for the PB is its NOT apple's making. I'm a media guy, and I love Flash sites. And I am very loyal to RIM
    i agree with quicksilv3r - im just not a apple fan my brother has apples products so i buy rim becasue i think there just hype.

but i do love the size of the pb and i have held it it my hand maybe a inch bigger 8 inch but im happy with what it can do and were it will put Rim.
    04-13-11 12:32 PM
    Portability
    Not apple
    Not apple
    Sexy looks
    Bluetooth tether non internet and internet
    Compatility
    Looks
    Proffesionalism
    Not apple
    Flash
    Not apple

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-11 12:37 PM
    1) The real web
    2) HD video
    3) Portability
    4) Sweet looking QNX OS
    04-13-11 12:37 PM
    For me:

1) The size is perfect and more efficient
    2) HTML5 and Flash
    3) HDMI video out
    4) 1080p and HD capabilities
    5) Excellent multitasking
    6) I trust the company
    7) I love the look of it
    8) BB Bridge

.... and not being held back by Apple's restrictions, PRICELESS!
    beandoc likes this.
    04-13-11 12:43 PM
    all of the above and Blackberry Bridge for me.
    04-13-11 12:43 PM
    Reason I'm buying it..

1. Its much more then just a bigger iTouch or iPhone.
    2. Won't feel brittle in my hands.
    3. Can trust my 8 year old not to drop it.
    4. Hopefully a cleaner more professional App store with not so many Fart apps or Zit popping apps.
    5. Up to date cameras.
    6. Lots of RAM so it can handle apps in the future.
    7. Not the feeling that I need to upgrade in 12 months.
    8. Not having to jailbreak the unit just to enjoy it.
    9. I HATE iTunes. It sucks, its slow, and I find it annoying to use.
    10. Being able to Tether to my Blackberry for free (I've already confirmed this with Telus Mobility)
    11. Being able to access my emails/calendar/contacts securely.
    12. Having EVERY option out there to create apps for it.
    13. Being able to run Flash.
    14. Not needing to use Apps for simple sites like Youtube/Facebook.
    15. Be able to browse the web without seeing a bunch of Red
    X's
    16. Being able to hook it up to my tv's without purchasing some extra Apple dongle.
    17. One year from now I'm going to guess there will be over 100,000 apps for it. (Both apple and Android did it, why can't Blackberry)

#1 reason...Its soo damn sexy looking.
    04-13-11 12:58 PM
    The weight is a big one for me. You wouldn't realize how the heft of a 1.5 lbs tablet can wear on you until you hold one for more than a few minutes. The Playbook being around 0.9 lbs and easier to hold size wise is huge plus.
    04-13-11 01:07 PM
    - Travel -- HATE lugging the laptop when: (1) traveling by plane (2) traveling on long trips by car (movies); (3) busienss powerpoint presentations; (4) some rare alone time at Starbucks, Panera Bread; etc.
    - Ebooks -- sometimes wake up in middle of night, and reading is fastest way for me to go back to sleep, but I need too much light to read books and that wakes up DH
    - the size of PB is PERFECT for me.
    - Couch surfing
    - entertainment while I'm cooking because we can't put cable in our kitchen without paying arm and leg for a new outlet (plan to load tv shows that are recorded on desktop; hope it works)
    - presentations
    -convenience: you know when you get that phone call and you have to say give me a few minutes while I boot up my laptop
    - People in household who hog the laptop and desktop (kids won't be allowed to handle MY playbook -- but I sure thanks them for [unknowingly] sacrificing snacks and other junk food, juice, movies and eating out to help accumulate the funds!)
    04-13-11 01:08 PM
    7" to 8" is the sweet spot size for tablets IMO, and the Playbook falls in that range. The best feature about the Playbook is that it offers a genuine web browsing experience, which is what I would be using the Playbook for 99% of the time. Apps don't matter to me all that much since a lot of what apps on other devices do can be done on a web browser. I have an Android device and I've played around with the iPhone a lot and neither have any apps which are make those devices a must-have. In terms of games, tablets, to me, as gaming devices are almost completely useless without buttons. I hate the touch screen interface for pretty much every game outside of the casual time waster games like Angry Birds or Peggle. For gaming, I have much better options elsewhere.
    04-13-11 01:29 PM
    Dual Core 1GHZ Processor
    Rock-Hammer-*Bang*-Solid QNX
    SMP Capability
    3 MP + 5 MP Cameras
    1080p Video Recording
    HDMI output
    Presentation Mode (Show something via HDMI, do something else on the device)
    Uncompromised web browsing
    Portability (iPad feels too big)

AND, I'm getting it for Free
    Last edited by skech; 04-13-11 at 01:43 PM.
    04-13-11 01:40 PM
    The weight is a big one for me. You wouldn't realize how the heft of a 1.5 lbs tablet can wear on you until you hold one for more than a few minutes. The Playbook being around 0.9 lbs and easier to hold size wise is huge plus.
    This is SO true...I was at Best Buy the other day and was test driving the Ipad 2 for about 10 minutes. I held it in my left hand the whole time while navigating with my right and couldn't help but notice my hand feeling fatigued. This is NOT ideal for portability purposes. I like the 7" size, and look forward to giving it a test run in the store. There will have to be some major flaw for me to buy a tablet other than the PB.
    04-13-11 01:48 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD