Hey guys, just wondering what online service would you pick to sync email, contacts and calendars? Thanks.
    mas999 likes this.
    03-13-13 05:52 PM
    As far as "free and well-known", a lot of people seem to like Outlook.com, they claim not to data-mine your content like Google does, and they won't pull the rug out from under you on using Exchange ActiveSync like Google did.

Then again, they just had a significant outage..
    03-13-13 06:07 PM
    Those are the two I use, Gmail and Outlook.com. Also have my work Exchange acct on it.

The nice thing with Outlook.com is they currently have more names available. Even if you don't use it much, it's worth locking one up if you have a specific name you like to use.
    03-13-13 06:56 PM
    If you want more features office365 give es you exchange for e-mail, calendar contacts alongside sharepoint
    03-14-13 03:42 AM
    I will assume you want push email. Waiting up to 15 minutes for mail is unacceptable to me and many others. Microsoft and Google are the most commonly recommended options. As I understand it, for push email you now need a monthly fee Gmail setup or Office 365 which also is a monthly subscription. Please correct me if this is not the case as I came to the above conclusion from Crackberry posts and have no first hand experience with the above.

Outside the box suggestion for email/contacts/calendars is iCloud for the following reasons:

-Guaranteed to stay available. Apple has $137 billion in cash and swaps places for the most valuable publicly traded company in the world.

-Free in perpetuity if you have an iDevice. One time expense of about $150 for a refurbished iPod 4th gen (new outer shell and battery) if not. The second option gives you an iPod which you *may* find interesting or useful. If not you can sell it or gift it after setting up your iCloud account. Your iCloud account is not tied to any specific Apple hardware. I originally set up my Apple iCloud services on an iPod which I no longer use.
    Refurbished iPod touch 8GB - New Battery & Outer Shell - Apple Store (U.S.)
    EDIT: Ebay has the above for about half the amount ($80). Buy, setup iCloud, sell for about the same if you are really cash constrained. You can manage your iCloud account from a web browser from then on (iCloud.com).

-Apple makes its money to a very large degree from hardware. They don't need to profit from their cloud services. It is a carrot to sell hardware. You as a cloud consumer can take advantage of this. Get the free cloud stuff while giving very little cash to Apple for hardware.

-Apple uses open standards for mail, contacts and calendar.
    "Sync features that accompany iCloud and Apple ID accounts utilize imap, CalDav and CardDav. These accounts can be integrated on BlackBerry 10."

-Apple's services are very transparent to end users. Service uptime, outages etc are always available:
    Apple - Support - System Status

Here is a BB10 knowledge base article that, while not directly applicable to PlayBook, is interesting from a future PlayBook point of view. PlayBook will get BB10 by midnight on Dec31, 2013. Setup is trivial on BB10:
    How to integrate iCloud contact, calendar, or email accounts on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone
    KB33812-How to integrate iCloud contact, calendar, or email accounts on the BlackBerry 10 smartphone

How about the PlayBook?
    Video setup guide for iCloud setup on the present PlayBook:

I use iCloud services and am very satisfied with them, but have never actually set up my Playbook since it is a rarely used toy for me. In fact I "lent" it to a BlackBerry phone (corporate Bold) using friend over the Christmas holidays. There is a pony puzzle game that his 5 year old daughter enjoys. Not saying you cannot do a lot more with the Playbook, but I have other hardware that I am more productive with.

PS: I know that some here have a visceral negative reaction to anything Apple. If that describes you, breathe deep, ignore the above and enjoy the rest of your day.
    Last edited by red stripe; 03-14-13 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Added first paragraph on push email etc.
    03-14-13 04:20 PM