I created a list of what I feel RIM needs to address in the next update to completely smash the tablet game. And that the Playbook can be a complete and not "beta" product. Please list more. Hopefully RIM would hear our request.

The improvements are as follows

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Better pdf for page jumping
    Hide bs app
    Faster camera shutter speed
    Switch from back end to ff camera while recording
    Delete and edit music files folders,
    Picture folder management
    Update Flash fast( even though thats adobe's job)
    And of course native email and PIM
    05-13-11 01:00 AM
    I created a list of what I feel RIM needs to address in the next update to completely smash the tablet game. And that the Playbook can be a complete and not "beta" product. Please list more. Hopefully RIM would hear our request.

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Hide bs app
    Bedside mode as well for using it as an alarm clock at night or a normal clock at night with the bigger screen
    05-13-11 01:06 AM
    also twist kobos arm and permit side loading..
    05-13-11 01:12 AM

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Hide bs app

i agree with your first 3 as a must. I think folder management overall is needed plus a download folder. Ability to delete as necessary without needing computer (music).
    Also ability to open zip files.
    05-13-11 01:22 AM
    RIM probably reads crackberry, but more likely than not will choose not to implement anything, and if they do, it'll be at their own pace. as far as updates go, bezel scrolling has to be at the top of ANY list, the rest of the stuff can wait. another useful feature would be if they added the 'power on' LED to blink when you get an email/bbm msg while bridged and the screen has gone to sleep. the only other thing would be to fix the speed of bridge browser, because currently its just a joke.

i hope the first two points get implemented soon but something tells me they won't. and they are actually very reasonable as well as functional.
    05-13-11 01:26 AM
    a few features i'm missing

* encrypted local storage (its a BLACKBERRY, this should just be available from launch)

* Deleting files directly from the playbook (how is this NOT possible?)

* PDF reader needs about 50 improvements (compared to the iPad)

* import / export / sync of bookmarks
    Last edited by lund; 05-13-11 at 03:34 AM.
    05-13-11 03:18 AM

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Hide bs app
    I agree with your top three PLUS bridge speeds needs to be mandate in next os upgrade. i will also like to add the ability to default to internet browser instead of bridge for when your web tethering from a link in messages. Also push out the NDK for the playbook so it can take off running with major app support.
    05-13-11 03:53 AM
    a few features i'm missing

* encrypted local storage (its a BLACKBERRY, this should just be available from launch)

* Deleting files directly from the playbook (how is this NOT possible?)

* PDF reader needs about 50 improvements (compared to the iPad)

* import / export / sync of bookmarks
    I concur and this will prove totally to be the Professional grade tablet...
    05-13-11 03:54 AM
    a lot of desperation in the air...
    05-13-11 05:47 AM
    The other day I was trying to show youtube app to my coworker and I couldn't find it with all the apps I installed.. Universal search is the way..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-13-11 08:23 AM
    The other day I was trying to show youtube app to my coworker and I couldn't find it with all the apps I installed.. Universal search is the way..

The youtube app sucks anyways, it's a complete joke, the browser version works a million times better.
    05-13-11 09:20 AM
    The whole list is like rebuilding the whole os.
    05-13-11 09:27 AM
    as far as updates go, bezel scrolling has to be at the top of ANY list, the rest of the stuff can wait.
    the bezel is NOT touch, so you wont be able to scroll using the bezel.
    the screen has a 1pixel border which is black, crossing that 1pixel is what creates the gestures,it would be almost impossible to use for scrolling as your talking about a 1pixel line.
    05-13-11 09:32 AM
    Well, whatever update is pushed, I'm pretty sure it will improve somethings and neglect others. Can't wait for it though
    05-13-11 09:37 AM
    You are right about the lack of a touch sensitive bezel but I find that if you run your finger up/down the margin, you are far less likely to trigger a click-to-link anyway. Treat that border between the screen and the bezel as your scroll bar and it works most of the time anyway.
    05-13-11 09:38 AM
    the screen has a 1pixel border which is black, crossing that 1pixel is what creates the gestures,it would be almost impossible to use for scrolling as your talking about a 1pixel line.
    Try scrolling in the browser, drag your finger about halfway off the screen onto the bezel... You can still scroll. I'm confused

05-13-11 09:38 AM
    The Bezel is touch. I have tested it. While on a webpage and scrolling, move your finger onto the bezel and you can still scroll. Or while on the homescreen, touch the screen and move your finger all the way to the left or right bezel so you're completely off the screen and your apps won't sling back. (Second one is a bit harder to explain) But it is touchable.
    05-13-11 09:42 AM
    The Bezel is touch. I have tested it. While on a webpage and scrolling, move your finger onto the bezel and you can still scroll. Or while on the homescreen, touch the screen and move your finger all the way to the left or right bezel so you're completely off the screen and your apps won't sling back. (Second one is a bit harder to explain) But it is touchable.
    Haha good call

05-13-11 09:48 AM
    The ability to create different profiles, night time, meeting.

It would be nice to be able to select a night time profile that would mute the sound, set the brightness to a low level and time-out after a few seconds.
    05-13-11 09:50 AM
    look, its not, you can do exactly the same on most touch devices, it notices your finger is very close, i judt did it on my torch with my finger on the black of the side, its just more accentuated on the playbook because you have that extra strip that you cant see, so yes it looks like its 2 or 3 millimeters extra, however try scrolling from there directly and its impossible, only works when you actually touch the main screen first. its kinda one of them random illusions due to touch/proximity
    05-13-11 10:37 AM

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Hide bs app
    These I agree with

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Hide bs app
    Delete and edit music files folders

I will add

The ability to create Tabs on the homescreen list (The scrolling bar)
    05-13-11 11:07 AM
    This isn't accurate. Load a webpage, then place your thumb on the black bezel (not on the "1 pixel area yout describe) and try scrolling the page. You thumb on the bezel is in a touch sensitive area and the webpage wont scroll until you remove your thumb. BGR reported on this in his review. The bezel is certainly touch sensitive.

05-13-11 11:11 AM
    A2DP anyone?
    05-13-11 12:10 PM

Auto correction
    Universal search
    Folder management
    Theme/widget
    Better sleep clock
    Hide bs app
    Yeh, I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, but with a much needed update list this long I wouldn't exactly put RIM "ahead" of anyone in the tablet "game". Had you said "catch-up" to everyone in the tablet "game" I would've thought the thread title was more accurate.
    05-13-11 02:10 PM
    Yeh, I'm not trying to burst anyone's bubble here, but with a much needed update list this long I wouldn't exactly put RIM "ahead" of anyone in the tablet "game". Had you said "catch-up" to everyone in the tablet "game" I would've thought the thread title was more accurate.
    Yes, the missing (often essential) features are long --- but the "same" feature will be 10x more complicated in the RIM enterprise security model. Everything from screen capture to copy/paste will have options to be disabled by group policies.
    05-13-11 02:29 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD