Can someone tell me what this "recent applications" is? I've never used it before and suddently it comes up.

The way this has been coming up is when i open an app, like KAYAK, it opens through this "recent applications" window instead of in it's own window.

I frankly dont need an app to open through a second app just to have it tracked as "recently opened".

Even if i liked it, it doesn't even seem to open all the recent apps used, since some apps just open on their own window.

Help! I don't know how this app entered my Playbook and i would like to get rid of it!
    07-11-12 01:12 PM
    Its part of the Android player...Those recent apps are all Android ports. AFAIK there is nothing you can do to get rid of it. FWIW its not an added app, its part of your O/S.
    07-11-12 01:15 PM
    Can someone tell me what this "recent applications" is? I've never used it before and suddently it comes up.

The way this has been coming up is when i open an app, like KAYAK, it opens through this "recent applications" window instead of in it's own window.

I frankly dont need an app to open through a second app just to have it tracked as "recently opened".

Even if i liked it, it doesn't even seem to open all the recent apps used, since some apps just open on their own window.

Help! I don't know how this app entered my Playbook and i would like to get rid of it!
    You can't get "rid" of it, this is part of the OS, it's the Android Runtime.

Reboot and see what happens, In PlayBook OS 2.0.0.7971 and OS 2.0.1.358 sometimes apps flashed the "recent applications" page and then they started.

Usually you manually having to tap the app means one of two things 1) The app crashed and it needs to be reinitialized or 2) The runtime was just temporarily stuck.
    07-11-12 01:16 PM
    This popped up for me once, and tapping on the apps did not run them. Nothing happend. Had to reboot to access the apps, and I haven't seen the "recent apps" page since (approx 2 months ago)
    07-11-12 01:19 PM
    For the record, it doesn't seem to show up any more on the 2.1 BETA, where all Android apps are given their own window (in earlier OSes, you could swipe back out of an Android app and it'd exit to that screen. Now, it just minimizes the window)
    07-11-12 01:22 PM
    For the record, it doesn't seem to show up any more on the 2.1 BETA, where all Android apps are given their own window (in earlier OSes, you could swipe back out of an Android app and it'd exit to that screen. Now, it just minimizes the window)
    Yeah, also that "Recent Applications" page revealed the build number of the Android Runtime. While it is still present on the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha, we don't know if the PlayBook OS 2.1 Beta has a newer runtime than the Dev Alpha, we can assume it does because the Dev Alpha has a very similar Runtime to PlayBook OS 2.0.0.7971
    07-11-12 01:24 PM
    Oh, it's the Android player. That makes sense. So I guess Apps that were on Android, but modified to run on Playbook via the Android Player are the ones that come up on the "recent applications" ?
    07-11-12 01:26 PM
    Oh, it's the Android player. That makes sense. So I guess Apps that were on Android, but modified to run on Playbook via the Android Player are the ones that come up on the "recent applications" ?
    Correct .

For some apps the source code did not even have to be modified. They were repackaged into a .bar file.
    07-11-12 01:32 PM
    My question is why do you have 321 emails sitting there?
    TNNurse and Canuck671 like this.
    07-11-12 04:54 PM
    Yeah, it's certainly annoying. I did not come across it until I installed an android app from the app store. It seems to pop up randomly for me, or when one of the Android apps crashes. My solution was to remove all the Android apps I had installed. Weird since I was so hyped over the flood of Android apps we were going to get with os 2, now I just avoid them.
    Oh well, guess I will stick with angry birds for now.
    07-11-12 04:56 PM
    Yeah, it's certainly annoying. I did not come across it until I installed an android app from the app store. It seems to pop up randomly for me, or when one of the Android apps crashes. My solution was to remove all the Android apps I had installed. Weird since I was so hyped over the flood of Android apps we were going to get with os 2, now I just avoid them.
    Oh well, guess I will stick with angry birds for now.
    2.1 solves this.
    07-11-12 07:05 PM
    Yeah, also that "Recent Applications" page revealed the build number of the Android Runtime. While it is still present on the BlackBerry 10 Dev Alpha, we don't know if the PlayBook OS 2.1 Beta has a newer runtime than the Dev Alpha, we can assume it does because the Dev Alpha has a very similar Runtime to PlayBook OS 2.0.0.7971
    The version of the Android runtime found in the 2.1 BETA is 2.1.0.48. Don't need "recent apps" to find that out Dunno what the version in 2.0 or Dev Alpha is. (Can't make it out in the screenshot in the OP)
    Last edited by SifJar; 07-12-12 at 08:55 AM.
    07-12-12 08:49 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD