I'm sick an tired of the initial Playbook software update!

It fails too often and downloads too slow!

Clients always bringing back Playbooks because the software update does not complete.

Why can't RIM do something about this?

Please make a way for the Desktop Software to bypass this annoying initial update.

This is getting very frustrating! It's not one Playbook, it's 3 out of every 10 Playbooks I sell.

This is not how you handle "consistency" RIM - fix the bloody thing up - disgusting!

One of these days I'm just going to give up - get rid of my Pearl and Playbook - invest in Android, iOS, WP, or even Symbian for that matter - and stop selling Blackberry products all together. This is taking up too much of my time without much reward and I'm tired of waiting for some form of consistency to take place. Get your crap together RIM, and do it quickly.
    07-30-12 05:14 AM
    I do believe these forums are extremely helpful with solving problems if the problems are detailed out quite clearly, there are quite a few very helpful and nice people who would really love to help you out, or maybe you just wanted to vent, venting is good, but 30% of problems on your sales of hardware probably translates into losses, so you might want to just ask for support from the CB community, save some time and money.
    07-30-12 05:34 AM
    Feel better? It is changed in 2.1 whenever that may come out.
    jafobabe and rotorwrench like this.
    07-30-12 05:36 AM

Clients always bringing back Playbooks because the software update does not complete.

Please make a way for the Desktop Software to bypass this annoying initial update.

This is getting very frustrating! It's not one Playbook, it's 3 out of every 10 Playbooks I sell.

This is not how you handle "consistency" RIM - fix the bloody thing up - disgusting!

One of these days I'm just going to give up - get rid of my Pearl and Playbook - invest in Android, iOS, WP, or even Symbian for that matter - and stop selling Blackberry products all together. This is taking up too much of my time without much reward and I'm tired of waiting for some form of consistency to take place. Get your crap together RIM, and do it quickly.

Done. 2.1
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-30-12 05:37 AM

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=737682

Going by the above post, your decision to quit selling RIM products would not be a wise business decision. Get over your frustration, maybe opt for a higher speed broadband/dedicated internet line and solve the customers problem efficiently.

I waited in and around the shop for 4 hrs, till the initial download was happening.
    But what you suggest is correct. RIM should offer an offline update, like for the cellphones.
    rotorwrench and Willard814 like this.
    07-30-12 05:41 AM
    To the OP. Your clients may have a slow wifi, or not a good signal.. this does slow it down and you would have incomplete updates.

As the other posters above said this is fixed in 2.1 coming out sometime this week (maybe)
    Willard814 and ratz like this.
    07-30-12 05:57 AM
    Doesn't 2.1 only address initial update bypass on the 4g models? I do not see how it affects wifi playbooks thats currently on the market. So no, 2.1 update doesn't help the OP. Simply advise your customers that they will need to connect to a stable, preferably high speed wifi network.
    07-30-12 06:27 AM
    This is the girliest op thread i've ever seen.
    07-30-12 06:53 AM
    Use a hi speed wifi for the initial setup.. I used a cafe around the corner..
    And new playbooks coming to market will hopefully come with 2.1 so no more buging then...
    There is however a forcible way to bypass initial update by installing firmware by cfp check the Rooting forum for that ..
    07-30-12 07:17 AM
    I'm not trying to hurt the name of RIM or Blackberry products, I'm trying to illustrate the problems I'm facing - and I am not the only one - do a simple Google - it's the whole world!

To all the replies here:

1. Most of my clients are hooked up on 1MB-4MB high-speed ADSL - stable and proper - this might be "South Africa" but I assure you all - we have a decent infrastructure. In fact, South Africa is one of Blackberry's biggest contributors. Our mobile market has about a 80% share in Blackberry products, 15% in Android, and 5% in iOS (roughly).

2. I'm currently hooked up on 4MB high-speed ADSL, stable as a fort! I download at 400KB/sec without fluctuation of any sort - my connection is stable. And still it takes me between 3-7 attempts to get the Playbook initial update complete. So, what kind of "high-speed" internet do I need for the all-powerful Playbook? Must it be 10MB? Must it be 20MB? Must it be the best, fastest, most impossibly-attainable internet around? What do you want from me? Is 1MB and 4MB not enough?

I understand that the lot of you are Blackberry fans - let me remind you that so am I, I understand that you have the right to stand up for your brand - but admitting to the truth is important for your own friggin good, not only mine - this is not a ME problem, this is not a MY HIGH SPEED ADSL problem - this is a bloody Blackberry problem - and if we don't accept that this is a Blackberry problem - then RIM won't ever feel the need to fix it.

It is Ramadaan, and I am fasting, so things might have came out a little harsher than I "initially" planned - but this has not influenced my decision to write a rant about my frustrations with Blackberry software, as I've been planning to do so for about a month. Blackberry desktop software has proven to be inconsistent and very inconvenient, Playbook initial updates are a nightmare, and doing something as simple as a device-wipe on a Curve 9360 has proven that RIM is lacking in the software field. I sell these products on a daily basis - therefore, I'd like to believe I have more experience than the users here who just own the devices - but hey, maybe I don't - maybe these users know much more than someone who sells and does after-sales on these products every single day
    rcm1301 likes this.
    07-30-12 07:58 AM
    Ive got 10mb,never ever had a failed update and the wireless in my house is pretty SH1T
    07-30-12 07:58 AM
    There is no doubt that the current INITIALIZATION process is oddball (I started to say foolish). There should have been a way to install the current OS using Desktop Manager (or better tool) using a wired internet connection. It sounds as if rim is going to address this in the 2.1 upgrade but that is not here yet and no one really knows when it will show up. And, AND if installing that still requires the current wifi mechanism folks will still have these problems.

But currently, it is the way it is and folks need to trek to someplace where the wifi does work for the install (and I'm not attacking anyone's country) that satisfies rim's narrow demands.
    JasunX likes this.
    07-30-12 09:04 AM
    There is no doubt that the current INITIALIZATION process is oddball (I started to say foolish). There should have been a way to install the current OS using Desktop Manager (or better tool) using a wired internet connection. It sounds as if rim is going to address this in the 2.1 upgrade but that is not here yet and no one really knows when it will show up. And, AND if installing that still requires the current wifi mechanism folks will still have these problems.

But currently, it is the way it is and folks need to trek to someplace where the wifi does work for the install (and I'm not attacking anyone's country) that satisfies rim's narrow demands.
    I agree with the OP regarding Playbook startup/update and intial boot up.

It would be helpful to new users to be aware of what to expect before plugging the PB in. For example, warning that the PB takes a couple of minutes to boot and that you'll see some funny looking bubbles and messages but don't give up, it will start. And Oh, by the way, before you get too far, you are going to get updated over the air so your wireless connection should be available. This also takes quite a bit of time and you can't be sure that all is well until you get another few minutes of boot up time.

These warnings/messages with obviously better wording could be printed on the thin plastic screen protector so that it would be hard to miss. I'm not an inexperienced tech type but when I got two Playbooks in January of this year and during setup/update, I kept finding myself asking "what the [censored] is going on?" "Is it working or not?".

IMNHO something like the above would reduce anxiety for new users and might even reduce the number of returns.
    JasunX likes this.
    07-30-12 09:33 AM

It's not the speed of connection, it is stability. I have a crappy pre-WiMax connection in rural canada, I never had an issue with my 500kps connection. I suspect that your problem and your clients is that you have a draft-N or early version wireless-'N' router, the playbook doesn't like these wireless protocols. Since down-switching to a 'G' spec, I have never dropped a connection.....
    JasunX likes this.
    07-30-12 10:39 AM
    I don't know what might be wrong but my 1st startup update worked just fine in first attempt and mind you my high speed connection is much like 756kbps.. It took time but worked fine..
    As a mattter of fact since then i've gone through two more updates over wifi 2.0.1 and the 2.1 beta.. All worked fine for me here..
    And i'm not saying you are wrong or RIM is perfect.. Just pointed out that I never experienced the problem..
    07-30-12 11:18 AM
    It's your router or connection... I've set up Playbooks at work, at home, and at friend's houses. I had a very slow PB update on an older D-Link router/WIFI access point at work. I set up another Playbook after upgrading the router at the same location, OS download and setup was about 1/2 hour. I just de-bricked my 16G at home and went through the entire setup process, including re-loading the 2.1.0.560 beta in about 1 hour 15 min for two entire OS download and setups.
    07-30-12 12:17 PM
    I have only had an issue one time when downloading the PB OS, and you know what........

IT WAS MY FAULT

Yes....... My fault.

I was trying to download like 4 or 5 other files on my computer and had as many as 8 or 10 web pages open while the playbook was doing an update and it just failed. I did recover just by rebooting the Playbook and the install restarted with no issues.
    07-30-12 12:20 PM
    Like I said, I sell these products.

I've done dozens and dozens of initial software updates.

And 3 out of 10 units give this issue.

In fact, the 7 out of the 10 download the update (513MB I believe) within a mere 28-35 minutes no problems.

But certain units are problematic (that would be the 3 out of the 10) - I have to do several, between 3-7 tries over a span of a few days.

Based on all of this info, I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with my internet, or my wifi.

But hey, that's just my experience.
    07-30-12 12:41 PM
    I'm not trying to hurt the name of RIM or Blackberry products, I'm trying to illustrate the problems I'm facing - and I am not the only one - do a simple Google - it's the whole world!

To all the replies here:

1. Most of my clients are hooked up on 1MB-4MB high-speed ADSL - stable and proper - this might be "South Africa" but I assure you all - we have a decent infrastructure. In fact, South Africa is one of Blackberry's biggest contributors. Our mobile market has about a 80% share in Blackberry products, 15% in Android, and 5% in iOS (roughly).

2. I'm currently hooked up on 4MB high-speed ADSL, stable as a fort! I download at 400KB/sec without fluctuation of any sort - my connection is stable. And still it takes me between 3-7 attempts to get the Playbook initial update complete. So, what kind of "high-speed" internet do I need for the all-powerful Playbook? Must it be 10MB? Must it be 20MB? Must it be the best, fastest, most impossibly-attainable internet around? What do you want from me? Is 1MB and 4MB not enough?

I understand that the lot of you are Blackberry fans - let me remind you that so am I, I understand that you have the right to stand up for your brand - but admitting to the truth is important for your own friggin good, not only mine - this is not a ME problem, this is not a MY HIGH SPEED ADSL problem - this is a bloody Blackberry problem - and if we don't accept that this is a Blackberry problem - then RIM won't ever feel the need to fix it.

It is Ramadaan, and I am fasting, so things might have came out a little harsher than I "initially" planned - but this has not influenced my decision to write a rant about my frustrations with Blackberry software, as I've been planning to do so for about a month. Blackberry desktop software has proven to be inconsistent and very inconvenient, Playbook initial updates are a nightmare, and doing something as simple as a device-wipe on a Curve 9360 has proven that RIM is lacking in the software field. I sell these products on a daily basis - therefore, I'd like to believe I have more experience than the users here who just own the devices - but hey, maybe I don't - maybe these users know much more than someone who sells and does after-sales on these products every single day

well first 4Mb slow as #**# to me, but yes most users do seem to know more than people selling all phones, IMHO! haven't had a problem with updates at all. just incase u were wondering I speedtest at 35Mb(not accurate because of speedboost. and i typically see download speeds of at least 1Mb a sec from direct download site's. just to answer some of ur questions. but on another note is u have to keep trying initial downloads 3-7 times does sound like their is an issue just can't say everyone is having it cause i have 2 playbooks and never had that problem and i have wiped playbook 3 or 4 times after sideloading apps that caused issues.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    07-30-12 12:48 PM
    Lol.. I think its got to do with the security or something..
    07-30-12 01:50 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD