02-14-13 08:34 AM
41 12
tools
    I assume they could send it back to you as-is, then you wouldn't have to pay for a repair - might still have to pay freight though, I guess...?
    Yeah, but the problem is if that is the front of the port pushed back in, then that has been damaged by someone else, not me. Where do I go then if BB wont repair it under warranty.
    02-13-13 12:38 PM
    A bit pedantic I know but it's actually Old Peculier

Theakston Legendary Ales - Old Peculier
    Mmmm. Think I might just have to crack open a couple of these.

Malcolm.
    Attached Thumbnails What is this port?-old-peculier.jpg  
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-13-13 12:50 PM
    Yeah, but the problem is if that is the front of the port pushed back in, then that has been damaged by someone else, not me. Where do I go then if BB wont repair it under warranty.
    The picture is the front of the port. As if you were looking at the port with the PB laying on its back. The case is still so you can't be looking from the inside. It looks the same as mine minus the bent pins so not pushed in.

Maybe a cell phone repair place could fix it. You would have to check the price as it may be cost effective to buy a new one instead of fixing. Sell the broken one to offset the cost.
    malgpz900 likes this.
    02-13-13 12:56 PM
    Where did you buy the PB? Could you have been sold a used broken PB?
    02-13-13 01:01 PM
    Where did you buy the PB? Could you have been sold a used broken PB?
    Daughters bought it for my for me for Xmas from PC World. The reason I am pretty adamant that the port was not like this when it left me is because when I was on the phone to technical support they asked me to compare my port with the one on my daughter playbook, so I had one on top of the other and I was looking into the port trying to see if there was any damage inside the port. I was using a torch and a magnifying glass to try and see inside trying to compare the contacts. Both looked identical, both internally (which is a bit restrictive to see to the back of the port) and externally. Had another look at her playbook to compare the photo with the HDMI port and that was why I was confused as the external of the port looks nothing like the photo, on both playbooks. Also I was able to plug the HDMI adapter I have into the port without any problem, on both the Playbooks, but mine would not give a clear picture on the TV.

Malcolm.
    02-13-13 01:50 PM
    The picture is the front of the port. As if you were looking at the port with the PB laying on its back. The case is still so you can't be looking from the inside. It looks the same as mine minus the bent pins so not pushed in.

Maybe a cell phone repair place could fix it. You would have to check the price as it may be cost effective to buy a new one instead of fixing. Sell the broken one to offset the cost.
    BB quote is 113 for it to be repaired. Only cost 129 new.

Malcolm.
    02-13-13 01:52 PM
    Mmmm. Think I might just have to crack open a couple of these.

Malcolm.
    See what happens when your left on your own. I go down to the cellar for another bottle of brandy and you all start drinking without me. What kind of forum is this turning into? I thought I could trust you Malcolm!

Just no decorum anymore.
    02-13-13 02:01 PM
    See what happens when your left on your own. I go down to the cellar for another bottle of brandy and you all start drinking without me. What kind of forum is this turning into? I thought I could trust you Malcolm!

Just no decorum anymore.
    Sorry about that, I was having a seriously bad day.
    But very good news just had an e-mail from Blackberry saying they are going to carry out the works at their expense.
    But the question is still there who damaged my Playbook HDMI port
    Will now have to crack a bottle open, not to drown my misery, but to celebrate. Everyone is welcome to join me.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-13-13 02:10 PM
    Sorry about that, I was having a seriously bad day.
    But very good news just had an e-mail from Blackberry saying they are going to carry out the works at their expense.
    Will now have to crack a bottle open, not to drown my misery, but to celebrate. Everyone is welcome to join me.
    Well done and good news about your pb. Don't be too concerned about how or who but the end result. I would join you in a drink to celebrate your sucess but I started some time ago so I can't.

Did I get that right?
    02-13-13 02:16 PM
    If I had to guess I would say someone at the repair center. It's a third party so you will only hear from BlackBerry What the repair center tells them. Good news that they are going to fix it regardless.
    I agree with the Old_Man. Don't spend to much time thinking about it. Too early for drinks though.
    02-13-13 02:37 PM
    If I had to guess I would say someone at the repair center. It's a third party so you will only hear from BlackBerry What the repair center tells them. Good news that they are going to fix it regardless.
    I agree with the Old_Man. Don't spend to much time thinking about it. Too early for drinks though.
    You were doing so well there up to the point where you said "too early for drinks".

My god man how dare you!

Is it daylight?
    Is there a 'y' in the day?
    Can you see the sun/moon
    Can you wiggle your toes?
    Can you hear any sort of sound?

If the answer to one or more of these questions is 'yes' then you are alive, open a bottle.
    If the answer to less than one of these is 'no' then you have inadvertently died, in which case you are clumsy and it doesn't matter so open two bottles.
    Chaddface likes this.
    02-13-13 02:48 PM
    Your photo:
    What is this port?-port.jpg

This is a Playbook motherboard:
    What is this port?-playbook-mb.png

The HDMI port is at the bottom left of the board in this photo. It is surface mounted.
    The motherboard would be at the top of the photo that was sent to you.
    02-13-13 03:08 PM
    Your photo:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	135731

This is a Playbook motherboard:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Playbook MB.png 
Views:	30 
Size:	231.1 KB 
ID:	135728

The HDMI port is at the bottom left of the board in this photo. It is surface mounted.
    The motherboard would be at the top of the photo that was sent to you.
    The little purple bit looks nice, have I got one of those in mine?
    02-13-13 03:27 PM
    No - because you've been naughty, now go to your room.

Maybe if you're a good boy tomorrow, and share, man, with the good stuff, then you can have a purple bit on your PlayBook...

Now ruminate on that young man, and don't come back down 'til your sorry.

Fobbing me off with Blue Nun and Lambrini - that'll learn 'ya.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-13-13 05:51 PM
    The coloured borders on the chips are for the Canadian models only.
    They are small knitted scarves used to keep the chips warm in our frigid climate.
    FF22 and sad_old_man like this.
    02-13-13 06:56 PM
    The coloured borders on the chips are for the Canadian models only.
    They are small knitted scarves used to keep the chips warm in our frigid climate.
    Ok, ok so now I'm really angry about this and at the moment I am having a tantrum and stamping my feet. (you'll have to use your imagination because I can't work out that video thingy)

Anyway I was brung up proper and was lead to believe that this little bit of the world that is stuck onto the top of the USA was in fact a British Colony. If this is correct then why is it that I can't have nice little scarves around my bits to keep them warm? Also why is it that I can't buy the Canada Goose jacket that I want in the UK and I can't find a company in Canada who can work out how to despatch items to the UK. Me thinks this is a conspiracy brought about by them Canadian Mounted Police thingies, you know the ones that wear those nice red coats and silly hats, well yes its them trying to declare independence from people like me!

I feel better now!
    02-14-13 08:34 AM
41 12