Help needed please.

Can someone confirm which port this is on a playbook please, and the orientation. Looked at a playbook and cannot make out which one it is, and also anyone any ideas how the brass strips could get bent as shown on the photo.

Many thanks,

Malcolm.
    What is this port?-port.jpg
    02-12-13 10:03 AM
    Looks like your micro hdmi port. Only thing I could think of is it being plugged in too forcefully or someone trying a usb plug on accident.
    02-12-13 10:11 AM
    Isn't that a (micro) HDMI port?
    02-12-13 10:13 AM
    Yes, definately HDMI. Something has been jammed in there and wrecked it. You would need to send it for repair if you. want to use it. It wouldn't be a big issue for me as I have only used this port once in the 7 months that I have had my playbook. Each to his own I guess.
    02-12-13 10:17 AM
    Thanks, looking at another playbook it looks like the photo has been taken at the back of the HDMI port. My Playbook is already with BB to get the HMDI port repaired under warranty, but they have come back and said I have damaged it and it will cost �113 to repair. Only had the Playbook since Christmas, and only found out the HDMI port was not working properly when I bought and micro HDMI/ HDMI adapter, and could not get a picture on the TV. Adapter works perfectly OK in daughters Playbook. I doubt whether it would be possible to plug a USB adapter into the HDMI port without realising instantly it was not going to fit. And it is impossible to to plug the adapter in upside down, it does not fit. It must take some serious force to plug either in the wrong way into the HDMI port to cause the back of the contacts to bend upwards like shown in photo. I have disputed Blackberry claim that I have damaged this port, interesting to see what the come back with.

Malcolm.
    02-12-13 10:48 AM
    Hope you can get it sorted Malcolm. It's a difficult situation to prove one way or the other. I do feel your frustration.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    malgpz900 likes this.
    02-12-13 11:57 AM
    Thanks, looking at another playbook it looks like the photo has been taken at the back of the HDMI port. My Playbook is already with BB to get the HMDI port repaired under warranty, but they have come back and said I have damaged it and it will cost �113 to repair. Only had the Playbook since Christmas, and only found out the HDMI port was not working properly when I bought and micro HDMI/ HDMI adapter, and could not get a picture on the TV. Adapter works perfectly OK in daughters Playbook. I doubt whether it would be possible to plug a USB adapter into the HDMI port without realising instantly it was not going to fit. And it is impossible to to plug the adapter in upside down, it does not fit. It must take some serious force to plug either in the wrong way into the HDMI port to cause the back of the contacts to bend upwards like shown in photo. I have disputed Blackberry claim that I have damaged this port, interesting to see what the come back with.

Malcolm.
    ....i'd ask ya daughter lol
    02-12-13 12:01 PM
    ....i'd ask ya daughter lol
    Ask her what? Lives in a different house. I am the only one who has used my Playbook!
    02-12-13 12:35 PM
    Help needed please.

Can someone confirm which port this is on a playbook please, and the orientation. Looked at a playbook and cannot make out which one it is, and also anyone any ideas how the brass strips could get bent as shown on the photo.

Many thanks,

Malcolm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Port.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	9.7 KB 
ID:	135526
    Well it's definitely not '1863 Royal Oporto Wine Company 'Old Company' that I drink!

Maybe Sandemans or Cockburn?
    02-12-13 02:01 PM
    Looks more like Old Peculiar, a fine real ale mmmmmmm
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-12-13 03:23 PM
    It looks as if someone zigged when they should have zagged. Considering you didn't even know what port it was, do you think maybe you could have stuck a usb in your hdmi??
    02-12-13 03:43 PM
    Almost an out of body experience just like 'Hob Goblin' Ahhhhh nectar of the gods!
    02-12-13 03:44 PM
    Mal' ;

For future bottom port ID, pg 13 ; http://docs.blackberry.com/en/smartp...001-1.0-US.pdf others pg 12
    malgpz900 likes this.
    02-12-13 06:29 PM
    It looks as if someone zigged when they should have zagged. Considering you didn't even know what port it was, do you think maybe you could have stuck a usb in your hdmi??
    I know the difference between an micro HDMI port and a USB port thanks.
    Have you tried sticking a usb plug into the HDMI port? Look pretty much impossible to me.
    Malcolm.
    Last edited by malgpz900; 02-13-13 at 04:54 AM. Reason: P*ssed off with non constructive comments.
    02-13-13 04:45 AM
    Have you tried sticking a usb plug into the HDMI port? Look pretty much impossible to me.
    Malcolm.
    Now there you go. I don't know the difference between the three ports and I don't know what they are called. I just stick my charger in the middle hole because that's what the picture in the instructions told me to do.
    malgpz900 likes this.
    02-13-13 07:36 AM
    Now there you go. I don't know the difference between the three ports and I don't know what they are called. I just stick my charger in the middle hole because that's what the picture in the instructions told me to do.
    Do you always just do what you are told. LOL

Malcolm.
    02-13-13 08:37 AM
    Help needed please.

Many thanks,

Malcolm.
    Malcolm.
    No need to get all indignant.
    Your posts are a bit contradictory.
    You are correct, there is no way to jamb a microUSB plug into a microHDMI port as the USB is wider.
    That being said, something was pushed into the microHDMI port that shouldn't have been there.
    The photo is taken from outside the Playbook not internally. It looks like the port has been pushed into the Playbook.
    sad_old_man and malgpz900 like this.
    02-13-13 08:44 AM

Malcolm.
    Well, I generally do. But only when it comes to sticking things into holes.
    FF22, sad_old_man and Chaddface like this.
    02-13-13 08:44 AM

Malcolm.
    Yes I always do what I'm told, unless I don't want to, or I don't want to, or I don't want to and then I do it anyway just for the fun of it. I always feel better afterwards!
    02-13-13 09:33 AM
    No need to get all indignant.
    You are correct, there is no way to jamb a microUSB plug into a microHDMI port as the USB is wider.
    That being said, something was pushed into the microHDMI port that shouldn't have been there.
    The photo is taken from outside the Playbook not internally. It looks like the port has been pushed into the Playbook.
    An interesting observation that this is a photograph of the front of the HDMI port, and that it looks like the port has been pushed into the playbook. This has what has been confusing me. When my playbook left me the the front of the port looked perfectly OK, and had not been pushed back into the Playbook, that is why I have assumed this is the back of the port, and questioned who it could get damaged. I shall be pursuing this matter further with Blackberry.
    Malcolm.
    02-13-13 10:51 AM
    An interesting observation that this is a photograph of the front of the HDMI port, and that it looks like the port has been pushed into the playbook. This has what has been confusing me. When my playbook left me the the front of the port looked perfectly OK, and had not been pushed back into the Playbook, that is why I have assumed this is the back of the port, and questioned who it could get damaged. I shall be pursuing this matter further with Blackberry.
    Malcolm.
    Eh!
    02-13-13 11:05 AM
    Just been onto technical support and they are saying this is a photo of the rear the port. They have escalated my case, and waiting for someone to come back. Wish I had never sent it back to them now. I can live without an HDMI port. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    02-13-13 11:13 AM
    I can assure you I was not trying to be contradictory, I just could not work out how this was a photo of a normal HDMI port, which is how it left me, which is why I also questioned the orientation of the photo. I have been assuming this is a photo of the rear of the port. Your suggestion that the port has been pushed inside the playbook makes more sense of the photo, but does not help me unfortunately as Blackberry are saying this is damage to my playbook HDMI port, and as I have said previously there was no obvious damage to my Playbook HDMI port.

Malcolm
    02-13-13 11:25 AM
    Just been onto technical support and they are saying this is a photo of the rear the port. They have escalated my case, and waiting for someone to come back. Wish I had never sent it back to them now. I can live without an HDMI port. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    I assume they could send it back to you as-is, then you wouldn't have to pay for a repair - might still have to pay freight though, I guess...?
    02-13-13 11:27 AM
    A bit pedantic I know but it's actually Old Peculier

Theakston Legendary Ales - Old Peculier
    sad_old_man likes this.
    02-13-13 11:28 AM
41 12