maybe i did not read around much but what is the point?! sad and scary to say i might get an ipad. can you not transfer media between your devices using the bridge? desktop manager isn't connecting my playbook even after a much needed update. the playbook seems useless so far. Just a giant blackberry with a lot of limits.
    12-26-11 01:21 PM
    Welome to the forum.

If you would like more answers to your questions, just click on the link under my signature, for Tips and Tricks for the Playbook. It also shows how to set it up.
    spike12 and Hgouck like this.
    12-26-11 01:24 PM
    The purpose of the bridge is to allow you to use both a Blackberry phone and the PB with one data plan when you are away from WiFi.
    12-26-11 01:26 PM
    yep..... a real useless paper weight !!! Let me gladly take it off your hands - you obviously have no use for it.
    12-26-11 01:28 PM
    Basically the bridge allows the PB to be the only tablet you can use data on....without needing a data plan(assuming you already have a BB)

Just leave your phone on with bluetooth and then whip out your PB
    rdonnelly likes this.
    12-26-11 02:03 PM
    I wasn't near WiFi this weekend so I used my bridge/bluetooth to get on the internet. I noticed that I still couldn't do certain things though like Facebook, Twitter and videos would not play. Is this normal?
    12-26-11 02:17 PM
    I wasn't near WiFi this weekend so I used my bridge/bluetooth to get on the internet. I noticed that I still couldn't do certain things though like Facebook, Twitter and videos would not play. Is this normal?
    Hi Sash,

the bridge will only give internet access to the bridge apps, if you would like to give internet access to all your apps then you must use the tethering option located in the main configuration menu. I should warn you that this may use a lot of data, so be aware of your usage so that you do no go over your data plan limit. Hope this helps.

Spike
    andy957 likes this.
    12-26-11 02:26 PM
    maybe i did not read around much but what is the point?! sad and scary to say i might get an ipad. can you not transfer media between your devices using the bridge? desktop manager isn't connecting my playbook even after a much needed update. the playbook seems useless so far. Just a giant blackberry with a lot of limits.
    Are you sure you actually have a Playbook? You can't get them at Home Depot like the brick you may be holding. Maybe check the box and your receipt to make double sure...
    MXBerry likes this.
    12-26-11 02:28 PM
    Not normal for my PB. I use Twitter, Facebook and play videos via bridge/bluetooth all the time. The Twitter and Facebook I use are direct to their web sites not an app-I like them better anyway. Never had any issue with U tube or other videos using bridge/bluetooth???
    12-26-11 02:39 PM
    Hi Sash,

the bridge will only give internet access to the bridge apps, if you would like to give internet access to all your apps then you must use the tethering option located in the main configuration menu. I should warn you that this may use a lot of data, so be aware of your usage so that you do no go over your data plan limit. Hope this helps.

Spike
    Actually, if you have the right Bridge app on your phone, you can use anything. You don't use the app world Bridge, you use the Bridge app provided by rroy (lots of links to it in this forum.)
    spike12 likes this.
    12-26-11 02:55 PM
    Thanks Spike. Barskin, I must have the wrong bridge app then. Facebook would not load, the app nor the regular website page and you tube videos just kept loading and would take about half an hour to play a few seconds and load again. We were trying to watch the Santa Norad tracker.
    12-26-11 03:04 PM
    Actually, if you have the right Bridge app on your phone, you can use anything. You don't use the app world Bridge, you use the Bridge app provided by rroy (lots of links to it in this forum.)
    Isn't the rroy bridge app for AT&T only? The Appworld bridge app should work fine with Sprint?
    12-26-11 03:07 PM
    Does the warranty cover a lose nut in front of the on switch?
    12-26-11 03:11 PM
    Bridge is awesome, makes the PB more portable when not in WiFi, I pay only one data plan and can use that plan for my BB and PB with no extra carrier fees. The only drawbacks to bridge are it runs at bluetooth speeds, which is fine for web browsing, but super slow for videos and makes cloud computing pretty much impossible.

Bridge can share your BB's files and display them on your PB, everything form emails, text files, picture files, but will not share music or video files from your BB. Once again, bluetooth speed is not quite as fast as tethering or WiFi, but works well enough for web browsing on the go.
    12-26-11 03:21 PM
    While browsing the internet on bridge, you are using the service through your BB, therfore sites accessed by the browser like youtube, think you are on your BB phone and will not play videos (saying you need to update your flash player)

However the youtube app works fine with brdge, and you can access videos while bridge but sometimes will buffer if the video is of high quality.

So since the NORAD santa tracker might have run off flash, it might not have worked while bridged since it was using your phones data plan which doesn't support flash.

Also for media transfers, DM is not needed, just plug the PB in, your comp should recognize it as a external drive, just drag and drop necessary media into the correct folder
    jafobabe likes this.
    12-26-11 03:40 PM
    maybe its not for me. again it seems like a giant blackberry. i'm more confused on not being able to transfer data. i will try the desktop manager again. thanks jafobabe i'll check out your page and not be so quick to return it yet
    azrin640 and jafobabe like this.
    12-26-11 04:24 PM
    Just to let you know, the iPad is very much like a big iPod Touch. Just sayin'...
    12-26-11 04:29 PM
    Are you sure you actually have a Playbook? You can't get them at Home Depot like the brick you may be holding. Maybe check the box and your receipt to make double sure...
    wow, just seeking info and tips. chillax
    andy957 likes this.
    12-26-11 04:31 PM
    Just to let you know, the iPad is very much like a big iPod Touch. Just sayin'...
    yah i loath apple actually lol. i havent had my pb for 24hrs just running into issues that probably have answers
    12-26-11 04:33 PM
    maybe its not for me. again it seems like a giant blackberry. i'm more confused on not being able to transfer data. i will try the desktop manager again. thanks jafobabe i'll check out your page and not be so quick to return it yet
    Check out the last page of the Tips and Tricks Sticky... there are directions there for transfering music and such..

Hope you find the solution that you need!
    12-26-11 05:26 PM
    what is the point of the bridge?

To walk over the trolls of course.
    hpjrt likes this.
    12-26-11 05:36 PM
    wow, just seeking info and tips. chillax
    OK, I'll back up a step. We'll gladly give info and tips - jafobabe gave you the link to the forum sticky that gives tons of great info on using the PB. Read that completely thru and post another reply to your thread if you still have serious questions.

The other part of your post were multiple opinions on a Playbook FAN forum. Here are a couple you posted:

What's the point of the bridge...

The playbook seems useless so far...

Just a giant blackberry with a lot of limits...

Those of us with the tips and info don't really care for these opinions - enthusiasts rarely would agree. Much the same as my opinion that you possess a brick rather than a Playbook. So I'll call it even and give you the point of all this - if you need help, rethink the above statements. We happen to like the Playbook.
    12-26-11 06:01 PM
    don't regret a single comment but still getting the hang of a lot
    12-26-11 06:43 PM
    don't regret a single comment but still getting the hang of a lot
    We get it. Notice the silence. On with the serious questions.
    12-26-11 07:07 PM
    We get it. Notice the silence. On with the serious questions.
    If you don't want to help her then don't. what's with the attitude...
    12-26-11 07:27 PM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD