I couldn't find any ones that stand out. Are there any I should inspect before purchasing?
    11-23-11 02:14 PM
    dead pixels would be the major one.

You might make sure to check the edges and make sure that there is no separation of the bezel from the main deivce
    11-23-11 02:20 PM
    I couldn't find any ones that stand out. Are there any I should inspect before purchasing?
    the most common are:

- bulge on the back (does not affect functionality. just a cosmetic defect)

- dead/stuck pixels

- flush power button (not a problem as you won't be using it as much due to bezel wake up)

less common:

- light bleeding

and, of course, you may want to check the battery health as well.
    Last edited by adamman; 11-23-11 at 02:26 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    11-23-11 02:22 PM
    You are correct. PB build quality is generally excellent. Malfunctioning pixels are sometimes reported. Some units have a bulge on the back centered on the BB logo that is more pronounced than on others. A small bulge is quite normal however and the condition does not affect performance. A couple of owners reported erosion of the covering on wear areas though that seems to be a very rare complaint and wouldn't be an issue on a new unit. overall, it's hard to think of many OEM issues as there really aren't many that have been reported.
    11-23-11 02:31 PM
    great thanks guys.
    11-23-11 02:32 PM
    11-23-11 02:39 PM
    So I got my new new Playbook and no dead pixels after testing it with Display Test and the power button looks perfect.

Very slight bump on the back but not enough to say it creates a bad wobble. I can't imagine returning it for that or should it be perfectly flat?
    11-25-11 10:52 PM
    Make sure you check both cameras. Video produced by the user-facing camera on my device has a thin line running across the lower third of the frame. It is definitely an internal issue; my guess is that it's a fiber of some kind that was caught inside during manufacturing, but that's a *very* uneducated guess.

Unfortunately, I detected this problem about 3 montyhs after my purchase, much too late to do a return. I guess I'll have to call RIM for warranty service.

Anyway, check the cameras. While you're at it, check the headphone jack, the speakers, and the HDMI if you can.
    11-25-11 11:10 PM
    Make sure you check both cameras. Video produced by the user-facing camera on my device has a thin line running across the lower third of the frame. It is definitely an internal issue; my guess is that it's a fiber of some kind that was caught inside during manufacturing, but that's a *very* uneducated guess.

Unfortunately, I detected this problem about 3 montyhs after my purchase, much too late to do a return. I guess I'll have to call RIM for warranty service.

Anyway, check the cameras. While you're at it, check the headphone jack, the speakers, and the HDMI if you can.
    good advice. l'll test them.
    11-25-11 11:21 PM
    Second the dead pixel issue. I had to return mine. The one I have now is perfect.
    11-26-11 12:55 AM
    I am currently having HDMI connectivity issues that may be related to the port. Haven't needed to connect to TV until now and can't get it to work. Other than that, a very solid device!
    11-26-11 04:51 AM
    Predictably the interface between systems that involve any human interaction will be a weak point ! Here, how does one decide whether a display/connectivity problem is the PB, the PB connector, the cable, or the TV connector, or the TV ? Doc Neutron

PS My first shot: beautiful display, but flaky connectivity that requires lots of TLC. Needs bigger/heavier appliance that minimizes operator movement.
    01-06-12 05:14 PM
    So I got my new new Playbook and no dead pixels after testing it with Display Test and the power button looks perfect.

Very slight bump on the back but not enough to say it creates a bad wobble. I can't imagine returning it for that or should it be perfectly flat?
    I wouldn't (and didn't) return mine for having a minor bulge.. it's harmless as long as it's not so pronounced that it completely prevents you from typing with it laid on a flat surface. I kind of like the "spin the bottle" technique for showing someone across the table what's on the screen... ;-)
    FF22 likes this.
    01-06-12 06:04 PM
    I wouldn't (and didn't) return mine for having a minor bulge.. it's harmless as long as it's not so pronounced that it completely prevents you from typing with it laid on a flat surface. I kind of like the "spin the bottle" technique for showing someone across the table what's on the screen... ;-)
    Here use this next time (I wanted to document this wine and took the photo with the pb):
    01-06-12 07:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD