Who would dream that in 2012 a platform would not support simple text files. Doesn't bode well for BB 10 future. I own two playbooks and I want. PB to succeed but if they don't start fixing some core operating flaws its going to become an also ran.
    08-04-12 07:57 AM
    Yeah shocking isn't it. Out of curiosity are these attachments or what?

Download Ghost commander it has a txt editor. Browse to the directory on the left or right and swipe down to see the "New" icon select new file and there you have it. Otherwise just open your txt file by selecting it.

Hope this helps!
    08-04-12 08:25 AM
    AIR Browser also has a text file reader/editor built in.
    08-04-12 08:35 AM
    Thanks for suggestions, these are attachments, I have to save and change name to .html and then it opens unformatted. Pain in *ss.
    08-04-12 08:46 AM
    Who would dream that in 2012 a platform would not support simple text files. Doesn't bode well for BB 10 future. I own two playbooks and I want. PB to succeed but if they don't start fixing some core operating flaws its going to become an also ran.
    Who the h3ll uses text files anymore?!

Anyway, back to your complaint; yes, it's terrible. Absolutely disgraceful and a massive floor in the PlayBook OS. But I fail to see the relation to BB10 phones You have to presume that RIM are going to put all of the existing functionalities in the BlackBerry phones into the new BB10 phones.

I can (sort of) get your comment that compared to an existing product, they have to cover a few extra bases, but I don't get your pessimism for a yet non-existant product.

Si.
    08-04-12 08:54 AM
    It is a shame that this feature is not present. I open .txt files all the time. Looking at system logs, audit trails etc..
    You would think a business tablet would do this.

Not being a troll or anything, just adding to an ongoing thread.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850
    dave1701 and JeepBB like this.
    08-04-12 09:12 AM
    But I fail to see the relation to BB10 phones You have to presume that RIM are going to put all of the existing functionalities in the BlackBerry phones into the new BB10 phones.
    That was the same presumption when the PB came out. My cardinal fear is that BB10 will be way more like the PB---much less functional than BB7.
    08-04-12 09:16 AM
    Text editor is a must have app for any OS. End
    08-04-12 09:54 AM

Not being a troll or anything, just adding to an ongoing thread.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry Torch 9850
    I can't believe people actually relate giving their opinion to being a troll nowadays. That term has completely lost its original definition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    BB_Bmore likes this.
    08-04-12 10:10 AM
    If the txt file is in Dropbox, it prompts me to open it either in DB Text Editor or HTML viewer.
    Txt files saved on the PB, I can open in Files & Folder app without any problem.
    But you are correct, something this basic should have been in the OS.
    08-04-12 10:22 AM
    I think MUCH has to be done; there are many basic functions missing... if you look upon BB10 as a "mobile computing OS", as they always call it.

The core application of every OS is an office application. Th existing one that comes with PB OS 2 is way behind the needs for professional use.

Hope we'll see that fantastic presentations app they showed us last year.

And I'm curious to see the file-handling and file browser of BB10...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    08-04-12 10:29 AM
    Yeah shocking isn't it. Out of curiosity are these attachments or what?

Download Ghost commander it has a txt editor. Browse to the directory on the left or right and swipe down to see the "New" icon select new file and there you have it. Otherwise just open your txt file by selecting it.

Hope this helps!
    +1 I also ended up downloading the same app a while back. I can't remember exactly what I was trying to do, but the built in stuff (docs to go) wasn't doing it.
    08-04-12 10:43 AM
    As far as I'm aware, it isn't (and never was) the OS that opened text files but rather a text editor.

Now should a basic text editor have been included with the PB's OS? Probably. Are there ways to get text editing capabilities easily? Yes. Is the lack of a text editor within the OS a deal breaker for me? Nope.

I have no problem opening text files on my PB.
    08-04-12 11:45 AM
    As far as I'm aware, it isn't (and never was) the OS that opened text files but rather a text editor.

Now should a basic text editor have been included with the PB's OS? Probably. Are there ways to get text editing capabilities easily? Yes. Is the lack of a text editor within the OS a deal breaker for me? Nope.

I have no problem opening text files on my PB.

Yes, that's right. But the OS should know which app to open to read a text file.

Stay calm and be Bold!

08-04-12 12:14 PM
    Agree with OP.

Is there away to associate types of files with certain application? And is there any editors coming close to the capabilities of notepad++ in windows?
    jononku likes this.
    08-04-12 01:00 PM
    Its not that a .txt file will make or break the Playbook as a viable product; rather, it just goes to show that there are a lot of little things that are either missing, incomplete, nonfunctional, or poorly implemented on the Playbook.

Hopefully as the OS matures, these little things can start to appear. And for the record, I do use txt files regularly.
    08-04-12 01:52 PM
    I can't believe people actually relate giving their opinion to being a troll nowadays. That term has completely lost its original definition.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    The qualification about not being a troll has become necessary due a certain overzealous maladjusted moderator proclaiming any truthful non-flattering comment about their beloved Research In Motion as trolling and threatening to ban the posters. RIM created the situation and no amount of sugar-coating or whitewashing can erase the truth.
    08-04-12 02:47 PM
    Yes, that's right. But the OS should know which app to open to read a text file.

Stay calm and be Bold!

Again, not the OS. In point of fact a database dedicated to associating a file extension comes into play in order to default to a given program to be initiated when a given file is double clicked.

Again perhaps such a database should have been included. I'm not bothered by the lack.

As for trolls, there have been a lot of them visiting here recently and their disruption has nothing to do with "truth".
    08-04-12 02:59 PM
    I use Air Browser, its free and lets me open text files. As for LOG files and other stuff (like even playlists like PLS or whatever), if I want to see the raw text I just rename to txt or html and view in browser.

Also, I can save all my web sites locally on the tablet, including flash games, and view them locally without need for internet by using air browser or browsing directly with the browser going to "file:" instead of "http".

So I have no problem and find it quite open to be honest! Not sure what all the fuss is about!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Crackberry Tapatalk Forum app
    08-04-12 04:12 PM
    the problem is there isn't a simple native app that they are willing to hardcode into the file association table which should be changeable anyways
    08-04-12 04:23 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD