See what you did now cat? I'm gonna get yous when I gets back to Flodira?
    09-08-13 11:56 AM
    See what you did now cat? I'm gonna get yous when I gets back to Flodira?
    Wish you would learn how to spell Flahrduh.
    sad_old_man and Carl Estes like this.
    09-08-13 12:04 PM
    Wish you would learn how to spell Flahrduh.
    I have and I can see?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-08-13 12:06 PM
    You guys are having a fight about bitrates, audio codec/formats and how compression works between V0, 320kbps and FLAC?

Guys, that fight was settled ages ago, V0 master race for portable devices, FLAC for archiving.

Stop fighting.

Posted via CB10
    Are you referring to Ogg Vorbis?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-08-13 12:18 PM
    What's Latin got to do with it?
    09-08-13 12:20 PM
    Now that this thread seems to be winding down (as the main question seems to have expertly dealt with) let me add some additional 2 cents: When asked what audio format to go for in this context, I'd say digital, definitively digital...
    09-08-13 12:44 PM
    If that was sarcasm, I got a laugh out of it!

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-08-13 12:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    I couldn't laugh because I didn't understand it. they are always doing that to me on here just because I'm stupid! It's just not fair is it? Just because my piece of coal at school wasn't as sharp as everyone else's. I feel outcasted I does.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-08-13 01:08 PM
    I couldn't laugh because I didn't understand it. they are always doing that to me on here just because I'm stupid! It's just not fair is it? Just because my piece of coal at school wasn't as sharp as everyone else's. I feel outcasted I does.
    Nah ignorance is bliss all over this thread. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be an argument between these audiophiles wannabes (real audiophiles just let the uneducated continue being uneducated). They're worst than stoners. You say weed is bad and they go apesh*t

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 02:08 PM
    Nah ignorance is bliss all over this thread. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be an argument between these audiophiles wannabes (real audiophiles just let the uneducated continue being uneducated). They're worst than stoners. You say weed is bad and they go apesh*t

Posted via CB10
    I like gardening as well but the boat doesn't have a garden unfortunately so I'll have to wait until I get back to Flodira. Weeding isn't my favorite pastime in the garden but it has to be done doesn't it?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-08-13 02:13 PM
    Nah ignorance is bliss all over this thread. If it wasn't, there wouldn't be an argument between these audiophiles wannabes (real audiophiles just let the uneducated continue being uneducated).
    "Audiophiles wannabes" and "real audiophiles" should probably set up their own bulletin board (or "get a room").
    Last edited by Hirazi Blue; 09-08-13 at 03:24 PM.
    09-08-13 03:08 PM
    Mutter mutter....... Posh people mutter........ Big fancy words mutter mutter mutter........... No need for them......... Mutter..........
    Hirazi Blue and Carl Estes like this.
    09-08-13 03:29 PM
    Mutter mutter....... Posh people mutter........ Big fancy words mutter mutter mutter........... No need for them......... Mutter..........
    You open a thread and ask for advice, you expect any less? Even my google skills can't match their knowledge. :P
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-08-13 04:14 PM
    No it's perfectly straightforward actually. The thing is I've taken up photograph as it's easier to understand?, but thanks for the help. Wanna buy some cheap unused Bose headphones? Comes free with a carrying bag made out of a cat!
    Seriously, just trying to help. The best way to keep it simple is use Neutron, it's a good player client, keep your Bose, they're good cans and if you like them, what else matters? And keep your mp3s. From here on out, at least rip in the 256 or higher bit, you'll have that option on most any client you use to rip with. If it offers 256 or 320 VBR, even better, IMO. FWIW, I'm a violinist (not my day job thank goodness) and several evenings a week work at a recording studio, just for the education and experience, and I think photography is the mysterious art of the two
    cmdr_dan likes this.
    09-08-13 05:37 PM
    Seriously, just trying to help. The best way to keep it simple is use Neutron, it's a good player client, keep your Bose, they're good cans and if you like them, what else matters? And keep your mp3s. From here on out, at least rip in the 256 or higher bit, you'll have that option on most any client you use to rip with. If it offers 256 or 320 VBR, even better, IMO. FWIW, I'm a violinist (not my day job thank goodness) and several evenings a week work at a recording studio, just for the education and experience, and I think photography is the mysterious art of the two
    Seriously there is no help for SOM

sent from my Blackberry 9900 using my fingers
    09-08-13 06:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    As only a casual user of audio technology who has used Audacity to get digital from some old vinyl and tapes mainly jazz and show tunes using pretty cruddy equipment I certainly can make no claim to being an audiophile. As I recall the audiophiles from my early days when they used cactus needles which had to be resharpened very often they generally are a pretty stuck up bunch. So I have no aspirations to become a wannabe audiophile. My question was serious since when I googled "VO master race" I got a mixture of returns on voice over and Reichstag returns. It seemed that you might be referring to Ogg Vorbis which can be exported from Audacity. No doubt real audiophiles use better programs than Audacity but it is more than adequate for my purpose and is free. But I did want to know what the best reasonably compact lossy format was.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    cmdr_dan and sad_old_man like this.
    09-08-13 07:11 PM
    As only a casual user of audio technology who has used Audacity to get digital from some old vinyl and tapes mainly jazz and show tunes using pretty cruddy equipment I certainly can make no claim to being an audiophile. As I recall the audiophiles from my early days when they used cactus needles which had to be resharpened very often they generally are a pretty stuck up bunch. So I have no aspirations to become a wannabe audiophile. My question was serious since when I googled "VO master race" I got a mixture of returns on voice over and Reichstag returns. It seemed that you might be referring to Ogg Vorbis which can be exported from Audacity. No doubt real audiophiles use better programs than Audacity but it is more than adequate for my purpose and is free. But I did want to know what the best reasonably compact lossy format was.

Nah I meant VBR V0 MP3.

Hey, whatever works. Though if you're pumping 24bit vinyls out with ogg, that's new.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-08-13 10:50 PM
    You're not stupid, SOM, just popcorn-challenged! Perhaps that is why you're on the extended cruise? When it comes to popcorn, perhaps Captain Ahab, Chef Boyardee, and Gilliland are under orders to give you all of the Special High Intensity Training that you need?
    09-09-13 12:56 AM
    It is nice to have a lot of varied backgrounds and experiences on this forum. In this thread, it's Rotor, cat, Carl, alphecca, and DJ; on other threads, there are others who are experts!
    Last edited by cmdr_dan; 09-09-13 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Added more names
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-09-13 01:03 AM
    Yeeeessssssssssssss, I do (is there a GAG emoticon?)
    is the closest I could find on my PlayBook. Maybe when SOM brings BB10 for the Playbook back from the cruise with him, we will have more icons....
    09-09-13 01:12 AM
    It is nice to have a lot of varied backgrounds and experiences on this forum. In this thread, it's Rotor and DJ; on other threads, there are others who are experts!
    Sorry, I forgot, what was your expertise again?

And BTW, sad_old_man isn't stupid, he's just "topically challenged", but we love him anyway!
    09-09-13 01:17 AM
    Sorry, I forgot, what was your expertise again?

And BTW, sad_old_man isn't stupid, he's just "topically challenged", but we love him anyway!
    You've gone to the dogs! With your superior olfactory skills, you can root out where SOM is on vacation; the smell of popcorn should give you a good trail!

In real life, I'm involved in testing flying things. Away from work, I do woodworking, photography, trumpet, and ham radio. I have dabbled with Audacity a little, and it is nice to hear from those with more experience.

Did you manage to get off that desert island?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-09-13 01:38 AM
    Ever since we're stranded here, it's not all that deserted anymore (although our numbers are dwindling fast)
    @F2 - you can always add your own:

(although that might not be what you meant...)
    09-09-13 02:05 AM
    Nah I meant VBR V0 MP3.

Hey, whatever works. Though if you're pumping 24bit vinyls out with ogg, that's new.

Posted via CB10
    Thanks for the edification. Googling again I found another forum which illustrates your point with a graph. It certainly is important to keep file size down when you are storing in and streaming from the cloud.

Attached Thumbnails What Music Format is Best For The PB?-1378712808160.jpg  
    sad_old_man likes this.
    09-09-13 02:47 AM
    You've gone to the dogs! With your superior olfactory skills, you can root out where SOM is on vacation; the smell of popcorn should give you a good trail!

In real life, I'm involved in testing flying things. Away from work, I do woodworking, photography, trumpet, and ham radio. I have dabbled with Audacity a little, and it is nice to hear from those with more experience.

Subtle, so subtle! By the way if you tell me you can play the guitar, I WILL CRY!!!!!!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    09-09-13 07:08 AM
119 ... 2345