if one were to buy a playbook used, what should you look for? any clues that point to the pin being disabled, etc?

so far from reading, other than browsing the menus checking software, etc...ive learned to watch for battery bulge and making sure all ports on the bottom arent loose. anything else? this isnt just for me, but anyone else considering a used PB.

thanks in advance!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    04-20-12 06:33 AM
    Dead pixels, check the cameras, buttons on top. As for checking the PIN I'm not sure if there is a way. There was a thread around here awhile back that had a list of the stolen PIN numbers if you can dig that up at least you would know if it is one from the stolen shipment or not.
    04-20-12 07:29 AM
    The only way to ensure it isn't blocked on RIM's system is to do a security wipe and setup with a new BlackBerryID. If it is blocked, the OS setup will fail with an error code.

I suppose if it was just recently stolen, you may be able to complete the setup, but the next OS the block may be in place and you will have a bricked PlayBook.
    04-20-12 08:10 AM
    Also:

- check it charges OK
    - test speakers, mics, headphone jack
    04-20-12 11:31 AM
    Over the production cycle they improved the power button. The power button is raised slightly higher on the newer units and is much easier to press than the older units. They may have fixed other problems on the newer units as well so I would try and find a new unit.
    04-20-12 11:53 AM
    First I'll check for parts subject to wear :
    - HDMI connector
    - USB connector
    - Buttons

Then a global look for chocks
    Then a display inspection on 1 full white (or red/blue/green) page.
    Then some shots / vids (test both camera and storage).

For the stolen problem ... maybe a call to RIM hotline ?
    04-20-12 12:01 PM
    thanks folks...i do hope to get one soon! its driving me absolutely mad!
    04-20-12 04:14 PM
    Here is another tip that may be of interest :

When looking over a used PlayBook before buying (or the pics and description if using ebay, or other online sites), if you notice a few small random scratches or scuffs on the back near the BB logo, this may indicate the PB being sold was a store demo display unit. The marks are likely from the anti-theft display stand used.

I know this from a recent used PB that I received from an ebay auction. In my case, I was looking for 'as-is' units that were stated to be non-functioning & for parts. I wanted to get a 2nd PB cheap, hopefully get it working to use mounted in my car. Seems many of these �as-is� PB�s have the scratches on the back, which I thought was from possible repair history by BlackBerry, or they were marked to signify lemons that had been returned.

But yes, I was able to revive this PB! (making good use of the various recharging tips here )Described as non-functional, only the usb port is broken but got it charged up using the pod charger with magnetic connection and aforementioned forum tips. When first turned on, it had a wireless store for the BB ID, a half dozen camera photos, and a few short video clips. Several of the camera pics were almost completely black with a white blur of light at the top, and are pictures taken with the lense mostly covered by the anti-theft stand backing. The video clips are all black as well, except one that shows a customer staring at it for a half minute, must not have known front camera was on. The clincher for identifying as a store demo, one of the black videos is ~5 minutes long and while it doesn�t show anything, the microphones have picked up the conversation of a sales guy nearby with a customer, trying to sell a smartphone and data plan!

So aside from a few scratches on the back that will be hidden and a loose/broken usb port that I can get around with easily with wifi, I have a fully functional 16GB PlayBook for the car that cost me $65. Now waiting for the portable magnetic charger ordered on sale here at Crackberry!
    04-21-12 02:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD