Just curious, does anyone know what the projected lifetime of the PB battery is supposed to be? I'm not talked about the time between charges but the actual lifecycle of the battery. On a related note, can the battery be replaced? Thanks.
    01-05-12 10:53 PM
    Good question, but hard to answer since the PlayBook is still fairly new. I've had my PlayBook since the first week of May and according to my battery guru app, my battery health is at 91%, Everyone uses their techtoys differently so I would think its hard to gage this early. I hope it last for at least two years. Replacement does not seem like an option, but you never know in this tech world.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-05-12 11:01 PM
    Yeah, I know it'll be tough, if not impossible, to give an accurate answer but I didn't know if there was an "official" estimate given on it that I haven't found. I really hope that your right and it lasts a minimum of 2 years, preferably longer.
    01-05-12 11:07 PM
  4. onceyougoblackyounevergoback's Avatar
    Battery replacement is definitely possible, the playbook opens fairly easily compared to the Ipad. finding a replacement battery to install seems to be the hard part at this time. I can't find one for sale.

check out the tear down.
    Last edited by onceyougoblackyounevergoback; 01-05-12 at 11:13 PM.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-05-12 11:09 PM
    depending on the usuage 5 hrs general searching, 4.5 hrs gaming
    01-05-12 11:16 PM
    Yeah, I know it'll be tough, if not impossible, to give an accurate answer but I didn't know if there was an "official" estimate given on it that I haven't found. I really hope that your right and it lasts a minimum of 2 years, preferably longer.
    There's nothing official, but the battery lifetime (good word to distinguish it from the 7-10h "battery life") should be pretty typical of Lithium batteries, so the literature on that and experience from other devices should help.

Note that the batteries don't simply fail at some point. Well, any given one might, of course, but generally what we should expect is a simply gradual degradation until the life from a single charge is so little that we're fed up with it and seek a replacement for either the battery or the tablet. Whether that value should be 50% health, or 70%, or what, is likely a matter of personal preference.

I believe the literature suggests that we'll get about 2-3 years from these batteries before people consider them "worn out" though I believe both actual age and number of recharges affect the overall lifetime. It's possible it will be a bit longer, if what RIM's done in the charging software can extend that (e.g. they discharge to only 3.4V, which may be high enough to extend the lifetime beyond what some other products manage).

I expect after another six months or so, we early adopters (from last April) who have Battery Guru will start to be able to report on the trend in battery health. We should then be able to extrapolate a bit to future health based on various usage and charge patterns. Of course, if it's fairly non-linear, even that may not be enough time to see the end ahead.
    Bob31464 likes this.
    01-05-12 11:28 PM
    Battery University Basic to Advanced Battery Information from Battery Universityhas a lot of resources to answer your question. It all depends on your usage/charging pattern, temperature, etc. However, most probably you will have bought Playbook 2 or Playbook 3 by the time your battery is no longer good.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-06-12 12:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD