Hey guys. Long time lover of BlackBerry here. I've recently switched over and started using a Droid Incredible as my main device but occasionally I will still pull out my 9650. BTW this isn't a thread of Droid vs. BlackBerry.

I work at a national retail chain and so I have had plenty of hands on time with the Playbook and I must say its probably the best tablet out there. The only thing I see holding it back is some apps and a couple of native features which are sure to be along soon. On to the point of the thread.

With everything going so well with the Playbook I can't help but wonder if RIM is catching a lot of crap for some stuff they can't control. With the Playbook we have our first device ever DIRECTLY from RIM. Meaning no carrier bloated apps etc.

Because of that we have seen:
    Speedy updates for bug fixes.

Since the release of the device it has seen 2 updates already. As we all know RIM constantly submits OS builds to carriers however carriers spend 2-4 weeks testing the OS to make sure it plays nice with all of their bloat. The problem with that is it takes sometimes months for devices to see some upgrades that they probably would have gotten months before.

Smooth OS animations/transitions etc

Most of this has to do with better hardware and a better OS built from the ground up. However I doubt RIM actually thought some of the products that have come to the market were where they should be. For example the Storm 1. Everyone knows that phone was rushed with a lot of pushing from the carrier. Within a few months images had already started surfacing of the Storm 2 which most likely would have been the original Storm had RIM not been rushed.

These are just a couple of things that come to mind when I observe how well the Playbook runs in comparison to all of the other RIM devices. All I can think is customers would probably be MUCH more satisfied if RIM was as strict as Apple when it comes to carriers manipulating their software. No iPhone has bloatware on it and every update doesn't need to be approved by carriers.

Just a little rant.
    lrdiaz likes this.
    04-23-11 11:49 AM
    in all honestly this type of thing with constant updates being pushed is more like what the beta testers see. You should see more updates since there is no carrier but not everyday or week even.
    04-23-11 11:56 AM
    Agreed. That's one thing Apple got right was not allowing carriers to have control over updating or neutering their product.
    04-23-11 11:58 AM
    Yes this is what it would be like, but not as extreme. Like howarmat said, you would receive updates a lot quicker, but not every day/week. But, since the BB tablet OS is brand new, you will see this. It reminds me of Cyanogen Mod nightlie builds for Android devices.
    04-23-11 11:59 AM
    I agree. While the carriers seem to be doing all they can to limit what we can do with hardware that we own, RIM is doing an end-around with the Playbook. No wonder AT&T are being a bunch of dicks about Bridge: they weren't allowed to "subtract value" before the hardware reached the consumer.

I bought my most recent Bold unlocked off eBay. I decided I would rather pay full price for a phone than be saddled with carrier limitations. (I also didn't want to lose my grandfathered unlimited data plan.)

Interestingly, I use a Blackberry, and not an iPhone, because of AT&T. Several years ago when I wanted to upgrade to a smart phone, for some idiotic reason, AT&T said "you can't get an iPhone, but you can get a Blackberry." I guess I at least have AT&T to thank for that.
    04-23-11 12:02 PM
    Im not saying we would see updates everyday but we definitely wouldn't have to wait months for minor update fixes. Its just kind of depressing. I wish they would make a RIM "Nexus" type device. Pure RIM.
    04-23-11 12:11 PM
    I personally like that fact that we're all using the same software and we don't have different versions (i.e. Bell release, Rogers release, AT&T etc.). It's puts us all on the same playing field and makes support much easier. Way to go RIM for using this approach.
    04-23-11 12:18 PM
    It is also how life would be without carriers in another less pleasant way. No advertising. IPhone was PUSHED by ATT and Verizon. PB is not being pushed by anyone. I have been to several retailers that have not even set up the displays yet. They yawn and say they are simply pushing the IPAD.
    04-23-11 12:59 PM
    in all honestly this type of thing with constant updates being pushed is more like what the beta testers see. You should see more updates since there is no carrier but not everyday or week even.
    I guess at this stage they are still eagerly trying to rush out minor fixes and updates as soon as they can, presumably things will slow down once we get the first major content/features update, maybe we'll see a monthly schedule or similar with some variation to take into account the 3g/4g versions showing up.
    04-23-11 01:32 PM
    Couple things I wish RIM would provide are:

1) a changelog of some sort.
    2) a way to roll back an OS incase the new OS is fubared.
    04-23-11 02:54 PM
    Im not saying we would see updates everyday but we definitely wouldn't have to wait months for minor update fixes. Its just kind of depressing. I wish they would make a RIM "Nexus" type device. Pure RIM.
    If RIM ever released something like Nexus type of a phone I would definitely pay full price for it.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 02:56 PM
    If RIM ever released something like Nexus type of a phone I would definitely pay full price for it.

I agree especially with qnx as their next OS for phones. I wonder if they would have the guts to tell carriers they can't put their crap on a phone.

04-23-11 09:07 PM
    Here's something on carriers and the PlayBook in the Globe & Mail:

RIM hits hiccup with wireless carriers - The Globe and Mail
    04-23-11 09:31 PM
    What happens when the carrier models come out though? 4G WiMax, 4G HSPA, etc. I mean in regards to the same OS being on everyone's PB.
    04-23-11 09:49 PM
    Here's something on carriers and the PlayBook in the Globe & Mail:

RIM hits hiccup with wireless carriers - The Globe and Mail
    Pretty good read. Thanks.
    04-23-11 09:55 PM
    Ok so I'll tell you that adding the capability to work on the carriers networks complicates the OS many times. The carriers networks are not all built the same and devices don't work the same on the different networks. Once you expand a device beyond the wifi radios and onto carrier networks then the carriers will always have a say.

And for the record while Apple maintains a great deal of control over their devices the carriers too maintain control over their networks and push Apple all the time to correct flaws in their OS that affect the carriers networks....

PG
    04-23-11 10:29 PM
    RIM is the one who submitted to the carriers at the expense of customers. Listen to Mike and Jim speak, they keep describing RIM as a company in the service of carriers.

Maybe the PlayBook is a sign that RIM is finally rethinking this tack, and it's probably due to Apple's success while RIM is suffocating under the carriers' boots. RIM has historically sold devices not directly to users, but through carriers and IT departments. Hopefully they are changing their minds about it.

04-23-11 11:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD